Iced

Baby I'm not moving on

Saturday and Sunday rolled through quickly. After returning home on Saturday afternoon I had changed and gone straight to work, opting to spend my day organizing the little office that I had been provided. I needed to get my mind onto my work instead of my personal life.

Sunday was spent at my parent’s house with Mike. We had a big family dinner and my parents caught me up on all of the family related things I had missed while being in California. It was the most relaxing day I had had since arriving home.

This morning had been boring for me, but it was a Monday and I expected nothing less. When I finally stumbled into the office around four I had been more than excited to just sit down and have a few minutes to myself. I kicked my feet back up on the desk, clicking the x button on the browser page I had been staring at since five. Now that it was almost seven I had to start prepping myself for the show tonight.

Days when there weren’t any Boston games were my least favorite nights. My slot on the show was from 7 to 10 but I was stuck inside with Mike. When the games were local we were there covering it live. My schedule had changed in the past few weeks at the station. I had initially started out earlier in the day, but the head honchos liked my style so they wanted me at night with all the cool sports people or whatever. I didn’t quite understand their reasoning.

Tomorrow the boys had a game against the Rangers, so Tyler was coming to pick me up for pre-game skate. Strange turn of events, but I wasn’t complaining. He had texted me that morning asking if I needed a ride. Mike would be joining us when the game started.

I sighed and shook my hair out of its messy updo before flipping my head over and piling it back onto the top of my head. My phone buzzed on the desk. I was honestly debating on stuffing it in the drawer and leaving it there until I saw that it was Johnny.

Johnny: Come downstairs and let me in. Security guard doesn’t recognize me.


I groaned and shoved myself back from the desk, hurrying towards the elevator. My watch read 7:40 and if Johnny kept me tied up I would be late for my own show. When I stepped out of the elevator I had to hold back my laughter.

Johnny was leaning over the counter, smiling and giving his full on best impression for the woman sitting there. Her face was unreadable, a grimace on her lips. She could not have cared less who he was.

“What have you done now J?” I called out as I walked over.

The woman, whose name tag read Rhonda, slid a clipboard over to me and raised her eyebrows as if to say, “Good luck.”

I signed him in quickly, adding my initials next to his name. Johnny followed me like a lost puppy as I walked back towards the elevator.

“What’s got you in a brat mood?” he asked, slinging an arm around my shoulder.

I narrowed my eyes at him. “I have less than twenty minutes until my show starts. You might as well just tell me what you need now.”

Johnny held up his hands in surrender.

“I’m here to help. Mike said you were having an irritating day. It doesn’t help that he’s sick. Maybe you could just have me as a guest on your show? I’ll take questions and I’ll talk a lot so you don’t have to.”

I leaned against his chest while we waited for the elevator to take us to the top floor. We were only halfway there.

“I suppose you could be of some use to me,” I finally relented.

Johnny let out a whoop of excitement and all but lifted me off the ground. He chattered into my ear about how he wouldn’t let me down and how exciting it was but I zoned him out. My head was pounding - I could feel Mike’s sickness catching up to me.

The studio room was almost empty. Drew, another DJ, was in there cleaning up as a back track played. He waved his hello, mouthing that the mic was still on. I nodded and shushed Johnny who was prepared to shout his hellos and be obnoxious as ever, then forced him into a chair across from my seat.

Switching the mic off, I adjusted the volume levels and pulled a spare pair of headphones out from the desk. We usually had the headphones and mics all set up for guests when we knew they were coming. I leaned over the table and plugged all the wires in, stuffing the headphones into his hands just as the song ended. Drew waved his goodbyes and I turned the mic back on.

The beginning of the show went smoothly. I mentioned that I would be having a special guest on within a half hour and that I was going to play some great tunes before I caught everyone up to speed, as if they hadn’t already been, with the Bruins games and latest news.

When I put on the last song I couldn’t help the smile that slipped onto my face. I had found the song Harry had played in his car and added it to my mix. It complemented the other songs perfectly and would close out the beginning segment equally as great.

“What are you gonna talk about Johnny?” the thought dawned on me suddenly.

Throughout all of the music and random pop culture updates I had been reading we hadn’t had a chance to talk about what he would cover. We had simply enjoyed each other’s silent company.

Johnny shrugged and my body went rigid. He let out a quiet chuckle.

“Chill. I know how freakish you are over that kind of organizational thing but just let me take the reigns. I got this,” his voice was playfully soothing and he winked at me.

I sat back and motioned for him to put his headphones on once the song was reaching it’s very last few lines. Johnny’s blond hair was spiking up around the edges of the band and I was tempted to reach over and smooth them out like I always used to but I refrained. No matter how close Johnny and I still were it would be inappropriate to act like I had when we dated.

Pointing to Johnny, I faded the song out.

“Now I have a very special surprise for all you Boston sports fans out there. In the studio with me tonight is Johnny Farland, who I’m sure you all know and love. For those who are tuning in from somewhere else, or are just completely out of sync with hockey, Johnny is a defenseman on the Bruins. He’s currently the league leader in assists.”

I smirked up at Johnny and his cheeks tinted red as he laughed into the mic.

Johnny had a natural ability to charm people even when he wasn’t in their presence. Just moments after he started talking the radio station’s telephones were flooded with calls from all over the city. There were possibly thousands of girls wanting to call and ask Johnny questions, but we pushed them off till last. The first calls we took were from guys asking about the season and the best players in the league.

I had to hand it to him - Johnny handled the calls with finesse. He replied quickly and professionally without overdoing it. To throw him off I switched to a girl who was shrieking over something and Johnny ended up becoming a stumbling, sputtering mess. I had to cover my mouth to prevent my laughter from filtering out into the mic and over the airwaves. The girl was going on about Johnny’s legs or arms or whatever, I had missed the beginning, but it was enough to get him flustered.

We were finally able to get the girl off the line and we both laughed a little before composing ourselves and finding the next caller.

“Hello Taylor,” I spoke quietly into the mic. “You’re on with Johnny and I.”

“Hi Sloane, hi Johnny! I’m a big fan of the station Sloane - I listen every night on the way home from practice.”

“Thank you, that’s awesome. What sport do you play?”

“I play hockey. I’ve been playing since I was little,” she replied, her voice crackling over the speakers.

“That’s awesome Taylor,” Johnny interjected.

“So my question is going to sound strange, but I swear I’m not trying to be creepy. I’m just curious!” she exclaimed suddenly, almost talking over Johnny. Obviously she was very eager to figure out the answer to whatever was lingering in her mind.

“Ask away. Johnny’s ready for anything,” I laughed.

“Well this actually concerns both of you... Sloane did you move back out here because you and Johnny are dating again?” she spit out the rest of her question so fast it took both Johnny and I a moment to comprehend it.

My cheeks burned bright red under Johnny’s intense stare. He spoke directly into the mic but his eyes were on mine. “No, that’s not why she’s out here. Sloane had a fantastic opportunity that she couldn’t pass up and I’m more than happy to have her back in my life. We are just friends at the moment. I’m not in a relationship as of right now and as far as I know Sloane isn’t either.”

Taylor hung up a few seconds later and I switched to another call, trying to break the awkward silence that I could tell was going to come soon. Johnny started talking to the person on the line but I tuned them both out, my eyes on the clock above his head. I had around five minutes left on my slot and then I was free to go home.

Johnny seemed perfectly comfortable with the rest of his callers. I had no idea why I was on edge. My mind was reeling from the answer he gave, as if he was maybe still hoping that we would get back together. Our break up was mutual and something that we both knew was pertinent. I was going all the way across the country after all. Johnny and I still had feelings for each other though, and I couldn’t help but wonder if those feelings still lingered even after all this time.

Finally the clock struck ten and the next DJ, Ashley, came into the room. She grinned at me and gave me a thumbs up and when Johnny turned to put his jacket on she winked. Once again my face flushed.

I slipped out of the studio while Johnny was still gathering his things. My jacket was slung over the chair in my office and I grabbed it eagerly, hoping Johnny hadn’t followed me down the hall. Unfortunately a quiet knock came from the doorway.

Johnny leaned against the wood frame, a frown on his lips. “I’m sorry.”

I sighed, slinging my bag over my shoulder and walking out of the room with him, flipping the light switch and locking the door.
“For what?” I feigned confusion while we waited for the elevator.

“Don’t give me that bullshit Sloane. You know I still like you. I’m sorry it slipped over radio but I was answering all the questions and I was just...I wanted to be honest with everyone.”

My eyes went wide and my head tilted up to look at Johnny. I thought I might be sick with nerves. Johnny’s eyes flickered down to me and he grasped onto my face gently, tilting my jaw up just enough. He leaned down, pressing his lips to mine with the briefest of pauses. My heart dropped about ten stories as I fought for some sort of purchase on his jacket lapels.

“Johnny,” I murmured when he pulled away.

His face had turned stony and unsure. I grabbed his hand. “Johnny,” I repeated.

When the elevator opened he slid out and I lost my grip on his arm. Johnny strode out of the building with the smallest of glances back. He was ashamed and nervous, I knew him too well.

I followed him out into the night air but he was long gone, his car pulling away from the curb a block up. I was left in the cold wondering whether returning to Boston had been such a good idea after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm still alive!
I swear
I've just been really busy aka senior year
But my last day was last monday, the 20.
So sad :(
And this week is senior picnic and prom. Tues/wed
It might be a bit before the next update 'cause I'm also working from 10-730 like all the time yayyyy
oh the life....

ps who's been watching the cup playoffs
wow
the pens
i just love them so much
and the blackhawks are disappointing me. hopefully they can get another win and extend the series to seven games.