Seize the Day

Chapter One

I stared out the window of my bedroom, watching the sunset reflected off the water of the Pacific Ocean. Tomorrow would be my first day in a new school: Huntington High. Same town, but new school. I knew it would be a pretty big change, going to a public school from Dubois Academy, but at least I would still have the comfort of the house I had lived in my whole life. And it wasn't like I couldn't see my old friends out around Huntington Beach or anything.

But the biggest difference was probably the fact I'd be going to a public school for the first time since... forever, I suppose. That's right. A prim, proper school girl, who attended a prim, proper, private school. A prim, proper, ALL GIRLS private school. Not that I was prim and proper at all to say the least. For the longest time, I've just tried to be a normal kid. Which is hard, considering my parents. My rich, well-to-do parents. Yuck. I didn't want that title to loom over me as well.

But for a kid going to a new school - even if it was only across town - I guess you could say I was fairly excited. And a bit scared I admit. Scared because there would be boys, which meant there would be drama. I've spent the majority of my life free from boys... for the most part. Hell, I didn't even have an older brother... nor a younger brother either. No experience with boys whatsoever.... Okay, so that was a lie. But I'm not going into that story...

I woke up my usual time, got ready in my usual fashion (minus the uniform), and continued the morning like I always did, before heading out the door and walking to school. The air was cold and bit at my skin, considering it was November (I was transferring late). But there was no snow. There never was snow. What I wouldn't give to see snow!

I made it to the school early, and found my way to the office through the growing throng of students. The middle-aged woman at the secretary desk looked up and smiled at me.

"Hello. What can I do for you?" she asked.

"Um... hi. I'm Kim Bailey. I just transferred here from Dubois Academy," I said shyly.

"Ahh yes," she replied as she stood up. She picked up some papers and walked up to me. "Here are your schedule, locker number, and combination," she said, handing them to me.

"Thank you," I said with a shy smile before going back out into the now-crowded hall. I walked while looking down at the papers.

"Locker 1204," I said quietly to myself. I wasn't looking where I was going and bumped into someone. I looked up and was met with make-up, blond hair, and designer clothes.

"Oh... uhm... sorry," I said quietly, receiving a scoff from the girl, and sneers from her group of friends. As I backed away from her slowly, like I felt threatened, I head someone yell out.

"Stacie, do you think you could take your Midol before you get to school?!" came a male voice.

I turned and saw two boys standing across the hall, both with pitch black hair, leaning against the wall. I didn't get a good glimpse of their faces before I continued down the hall in search of my locker. I reached the lockers numbered 2200 and higher, and realized that I had gone way too far and that mine was most likely on the other side of the school. So I turned around and the numbers started to decrease. I found the 1100s and again realized I'd gone too far. But I followed them as they got higher.

"1195, 1196, 1197, 1198, 1199, 1200, 1201, 1202, 1203. There, 1204," I said, putting in the combo and opening the locker. I put my bag and supplies in it, leaving out a pen and notebook for classes. It seemed to be too empty in that locker, and it hit me that I had no textbooks yet. I shut my locker and locked it just as a person came up and unlocked the locker to the right of mine.

I glanced at my schedule to find my first class. "U.S. History Room 241," I read off the paper. I walked my way down two halls on the first floor, before I came to the conclusion that they were all room numbers in the 100s and that the 200s were most likely on the second floor. So I trudged up the nearest staircase and found I was correct. But just then the bell rang for class to begin, so I ran off down the hall until I found room 241. I stopped, straightened myself out, and entered the room.

As soon as I was inside, every student's attention was on me. Which made me feel awfully uncomfortable.

"You're late," the teacher said, but he didn't sound overly harsh.

"Sorry... I'm new," I replied shakily. I didn't like being the center of attention like this.

"Its fine. Go take that empty seat by Mr. Sanders," the teacher informed. Of course, I didn't know who 'Mr. Sanders' was, but there was only one empty seat in the corner against the wall. And by the looks of it, this 'Mr. Sanders' was an aggressive looking boy with black slicked-back hair. And tattoos. And a piercing. He didn't remind me of anyone that looked friendly.

I quietly walked to the desk and sat down. The teacher, Mr. Case, came and handed me a text book before starting the lesson. I learned that Mr. Case talks an awful lot and that it was the student's choice if they wanted to take notes or not. I wasn't a note writing kind of person unless it was something I could just copy down off the board, so I sat there. Thirty minutes later the class was over and it was time for me to search for my next class : Pre- Calculus. Room 215. Luckily, it was only down the hall.

That first day went by without much hassle, and the first few weeks weren't really what I'd been expecting at all. Nothing exciting. It really let my hopes down. That or I'd just gotten my hopes up for nothing in the first place.

As I got home from school on one Thursday afternoon, I called my friend Zoey. She was my best friend, went to DuBois Academy, and had rich parents. But she was really nothing like me. Not even anything of what I used to be.

"Hello?"

"Hey Zoey."

"Oh! Hey Kimmy!!! How've you been? How's that public school? Meet any cute boys?!" she said all in one breath. I chuckled at her chipper disposition.

"Truthfully, this school isn't what I had cracked it up to be. Like, its nothing like in the movies where people tease the new kid. Its like no one even knows I'm there. The only person I even know at this school is Brian and that's because he's my neighbor," I told her.

"Oh. Well... Brian's cute," Zoey said.

"Ughh... Are you kidding me?!" I said disgusted. She laughed.

"That's not what you said two years ago..." Zoey reminded me.

"Yeah but... I was young and stupid then Zoey," I said.

"Oh come on. You know you'd do him again if you had the chance," she chuckled.

"Whatever. Can we talk about something else?" I asked, irritated that she couldn't just drop it.

"How about later hun. My mom's taking me to the mall in a few minutes, so I gotta go," she said.

"Alright. I'll talk to you later then."

"Okay. Love ya!" Zoey replied before hanging up.

The next day at school was just like all the others of the past few weeks. I went through my classes like I normally did; sitting in my seat, gazing at the wall but paying full attention, and making quiet comments to myself every now and then.

But things suddenly changed. All because of that one day.

I was walking home after classes and a car pulled up alongside me, creeping along slowly. I turned to see who it was. Undoubtedly someone I didn't know.

"You want a ride?" the person asked. I didn't answer right away because I couldn't be sure if this was a trustable person.

"...Do I know you?" I asked stupidly.

"No," the guy, as it turned out to be, smiled.

"... Do you know me?" I asked again, just as stupidly.

"You could say that. Lets just say I know more than you think," he replied quickly. "Come on. I'm not gonna like... take you to a back alley and rape you or anything," he chuckled.

Then, I had no clue what came over me, but I seized the chance at a new friend. I got into the passenger seat of that car. He pulled from the curb and drove down the street.

"So... if you're so sure of yourself, what do you know about me?" I asked interestedly.

"Well. You're Kim Bailey. Your parents are a bunch of rich snobs, but you don't like to show off with that. Your locker is right next to mine, and you sit next to me in Chemistry making comments every now and then that you think no one can hear. Your favorite color is lime green, and your favorite band is Reset. You've always lived in Huntington and for some unknown reason transferred to this shit school. You're a senior, age 18, and...uh... shit. There was loads more... Oh. You're not a virgin. That's really all I remember," he said, not taking his eyes off the road.

"Okay, one question. Are you fucking stalking me? Because you're really freaking the shit out of me at the moment," I said, and I really was scared. He chuckled, and it didn't help my nerves. Why the fuck did I get in the car damnit!?

"No, I'm not stalking you. It just so happens that one of my very good friends let me in on this information recently," he said.

"... Who's your friend?"

"Brian Haner... Jr. if you wanna be specific. You know the Haner's don't you?" he asked, knowing full well that I did.

"Yeah. They're my neighbors. And when I get home I'm going to kick Brian's ass for telling people shit about me," I said. "I can't believe he's telling people that..." I mumbled.

"What? That your favorite color is lime?" he asked sarcastically.

"No. That I'm not a virgin," I mumbled again. "I suppose he told you how that happened right?" I asked nervously.

"Yeah, pretty much," he chuckled.

I looked up and noticed he was already pulled up to my house. "So... do I get to know your name... since you know like... everything about me?" I asked, seeing it as only fair.

He smiled. "Zack. Zack Baker," he said.

"Well Zack Baker, it was nice meeting you and thank you for the ride home, but I have to go kick your friend Brian Haner in the balls. Good day," I said as I got out of his car, and walked up to my house. As soon as I was inside I grabbed the phone.

"Hello?"

"Brian Haner I hate you," I said through gritted teeth.

"Aww thanks Kimberly! I love you too," he replied sarcastically.

"You're an ass."

"And you're hot," he replied smugly. "I also see you've made a new friend. Who is also a friend of mine. I should warn Zacky next time that you can be a huge bitch too..." he laughed.

"I can't believe you're telling people about something that happened two fucking years ago!" I yelled at him. It was a good thing my parents were at work, because they don't tolerate vulgar words.

"Yes well... hmm.. 'fucking'... heh. Its still quite fresh in my mind and I was bored. Sorry, gotta run darling. See you tomorrow!" Brian said cheerfully before hanging up.

Brian Haner, you are now Number 1 on My Shit List. Watch your back.
P.S. ~ You have hot friends.