Status: Finished <3 sequel is up :)

The Hand of Destiny

This Could Be The Last Of All The Rides We Take

Breakfast at Andy’s was becoming a routine.

Wake up, fight over who uses the bathroom (the old ‘It’s my apartment!’ ‘But I’m the guest!’ argument), borrow Andy's hair straighteners (I know I have my own but mine only go up to 220, his go to 235!), then congregate at his black kitchen counter where we decide which unhealthy but delicious breakfast treat we’ll be eating.

I was sitting on the red barstool style chair eating a Poptart when I noticed a newspaper folded up on the counter next to the sink.

“Hey Andy, is that today’s paper?”

He turned away from the toaster to face me.

“Yeah, you wanna read it?”

“Yeah, thanks”

I wasn’t interested in the news stories or sports, I was only interested in one section – the apartment listings.

I’ve been staying with Andy for four days now and I don’t want to overstay my welcome.
My eyes flicked over several listings that weren’t any good and then landed on a box outlined with a ‘Look!’ sign.

Apartment for rent. Newly refurbished building. One bedroom. Private bathroom. Kitchen. Lounge area. Apartment is fully furnished. Lots of storage room. Maintenance man available 6 days a week. $1000 pm.

Actually, that sounds pretty perfect.
Accommodation costs are being covered until my old apartment is inhabitable again so I don’t have to worry about that, I just have to find a place that is between $500 and $1300 a month. I grabbed a pen off the side and wrote the phone number printed on the bottom of the advert on my hand. Hopefully I won’t have to burden Andy for much longer.

*****

That, was the quickest apartment deal ever made. I called the apartment owners about an hour after breakfast. They seemed grateful to have someone call, apparently it’s their last apartment and they just want it rented so they wouldn’t have to keep paying for expensive adverts. The apartment it’s self is great, better than my old one. Nice spacious rooms and a properly furnished kitchen, it even has a coffee maker! The paper work was boring but simple, easy and basic questions that weren’t hard to answer, just time consuming. Still, 3 hours later and I now have somewhere to live, they even said I could move in today if I wanted. Andy didn’t know I had gone to look at apartments, he didn’t ask where when I said I was going out for a bit. He’s probably enjoying some privacy, after all, I’ve been with him for the last four days and since we share his bed, I’m the last thing he sees at night and the first thing he sees when he wakes up. It shouldn’t be hard to move my stuff since I’ve been living out of my bag for the time I’ve stayed with Andy, even though he said I didn’t have to.

I walked up the stairs to Andy’s apartment, that’s the one thing I’ll miss (no not the stairs :/ )
Andy.

He’s been so nice to me these past few days, it’ll be odd to wake up and not have someone to talk to at breakfast.

I pushed open the front door, noticing that unlike my old one it didn’t creek every time you moved it a centimetre.

“Andy” I called out

Silence.

I walked across the room, my shoes making footsteps on the laminated wood floors, the noise echoing in the quiet space.

“Andy?” I repeated, more of a question this time.

“In here!” his voice carried through from the bedroom.

Walking into his room I saw him struggling to change the covers and sheets on his bed, his Batman ones obviously needed washing.

I laughed lightly.

“Having fun there?”

He turned to me and let out a breath, like the task was soooooo much effort.

“Does it look like it? It’s the duvet, it’s reluctant to get in the cover! I don’t think they like each other…”

My chuckle turned into a full blown laugh.

“Wow, I can see your devastation…” I managed inbetween laughing.

“Yes, it’s a tragedy! I would call Batman, but he’s in the washing machine…”

Oh my god I’m dying. Literally leaning against the dresser, laughing so much I’m crying and creating rivers of eyeliner down my face. Andy is now casually laughing/crying into the sheet.
Once I gained some sanity again I realised something, this is my last day with Andy. We have so much fun, it’s going to suck being alone again…

Andy must have noticed my smile fall.

“What’s up Ash?”

Another thing I’ll miss…

I pushed the duvet/duvet cover/sheet ball over a bit and sat down on the edge of his bed.

“So, I talked to some people this morning and signed some paper work and… I have an apartment now! I won’t be burdening you here anymore”

“That’s great Ashley! You weren't a burden though” he smiled at me, it seemed slightly fake though. Then again, I have known him all off 4 and a half days so I’m hardly an expert at his facial expressions.

“When are you moving in?” he asked me as he joined me on the bed.

“They said I could move in anytime from 12 midday today”

“Okay… you want some help moving your stuff?”

I didn’t have a lot of bags, but I wanted just a little more time with Andy.

“Yeah, that’d be great” I smiled at him and he mirrored it back at me.

“And Andy? Thanks so much for being here for me these last few days, it means a lot”

He pulled me into a hug, god he smells nice. Wait! Why am I smelling him? Never mind…

“Anytime Ash, Anytime…”

We held each other for a few more moments before breaking apart.

“So, where is your new apartment?”

*****

Well that SUCKED. I watched the cab drive back along the road with Andy in it, I waved at him, but the cab was too far away now for me to be able to tell if he waved back. It hate goodbyes, they always seem so final, so ending, I much prefer see you later.

It started to rain lightly so I grabbed my last bag and walked into the reception. The advert had definitely delivered, the place was very modern and new with marble floors and slick black counters. I walked over to the reception desk to collect my apartment key.

“Hey, I’m Ashley Purdy, I’m the new resident. I need my key?”

“Oh, of course, I have it right here. I hope you enjoy living here, if you have any problems please don’t hesitate to ask, I’m Frank Iero, the manager by the way”

The guy with the lip ring smiled kindly at me, I smiled back but it wasn’t a full smile, I feel all hollowed out after Andy left, even though he did say to feel free to call or text him if I needed to talk.

“Thank you” I took the key he placed on the counter and headed up to my new apartment, room
122 on the second floor. I could see my bags piled outside the door, waiting to be unpacked inside.

Before I could even get to the door though I bumped into someone.

“Whoops, sorry” I said as I stepped to the side and continued walking, only to feel a hand on my arm grab me back.

“Hey! Your my new neighbour right? Apartment 122?” I looked at the guy in front of me with a mix of curiosity and apprehension,

“Um, yeah. I’m Ashley”

“Wicked, I’m Jeremy but everyone calls me Jinxx”

I smiled, this guy seems cool, nice to know I’m not the only one guy who wears eyeliner in this building.

“So hey, since you’re new here and probably wanna meet some people, you up for a party tomorrow night?”

Does he always invite people he just met to parties? Eh, he’s just being nice, and he’s right, it would be good to meet some people round here.

“Sure” I replied.

“Awesome” he grinned. “My place tomorrow at 7 ‘kay?”

“Cool, see you then” I replied as I opened my new front door.

He waved at me and walked into the apartment next to mine.

I wonder if my neighbour on the other side is just as weird?

I’ll probably find out soon enough, he’s probably coming to Jinxx’s party.

I flipped the lights on and dumped my last bag by the door before dragging the rest in, I’ll unpack later, I’m too tired now.

I settled down on my new couch and shut my eyes.

I didn’t mean to fall asleep, honestly. Eh, I’ll forgive my laziness this time, it’s been a long day…
♠ ♠ ♠
Woot! Chap 5! Don't worry, this definitely isn't the last we see of Andy, hell no. In fact, i have a feeling there might be a little romance going on withing the next chapter *hint, hint, wink, wink* ;)