Status: Active

Save Me

Part 2

Time? 5 past 6. She looked at her watch for the fifth time. Jordan was late, over 30 minutes late to be exact, and there was no answer on his cell. It was getting darker by the minute and Bailey had no idea how to get back home. No idea what bus to take or even directions to give to a cab. Jordan I’m going to kill you.

A silver Volvo SUV pulled up to the curb. “Need a ride?” Bailey squinted to see who was in the driver’s seat. Alex. They hadn’t talked much after their introduction in the library; just sat in a comfortable silence doing their separate work.

“My mother told me to never get in a car with strangers.”
“Well Bailey,” he emphasized her name. “Since we’ve already been introduced, I know your name and you know mine. We aren’t really strangers are we?”

He had a point. She scanned the parking lot once more, partly to look for Jordan but also to make note of at least three viable witnesses that would see her get in the car. She sighed, once more checking her watch and the reluctantly got in the vehicle.

“That’s a girl,” he smiled genuinely. “Now where to?” She gave him the address, which he plugged into his GPS.
“Lucky for you I’m headed into the city as well, won’t even charge you a taxicab fee.” She smiled at his joke and looked around the vehicle. It was slightly messy but she could tell it was high end. She noted the stickers on the back window: a flag that she assumed was British, one that said something about rugby, and the last advertised duke medicine.

“You play rugby?”
“Either you’re a mind reader or you’re making a joke about my nationality,” he teased. His smile was infectious
“No, I just noticed your stickers.”
“Ah, well than I retract my previous statement. Yes, I do play, I’m with a club in Raleigh.”
“Do you enjoy it?”
“Very much so, it gives me a great way to release stress.”
“My brothers play hockey so I know all about violent sports.”
“Well of course they play hockey, you are Canadian after all.”
“Now who’s making fun of nationalities.”

Much of the car was spent in delightful conversation and Bailey found it more enjoyable as time went on. It was just after dusk when they pulled into the driveway.

“Thank you again,” Bailey smiled. “Would you like to come in? I feel like I should give you gas money.”

“No, I can’t, I’ve got practice to get to and I told you not to worry about money. But if it bothers you that much than please join me for dinner. Say tomorrow at 6? I can pick you up here.”

“Oh,” Bailey was slightly taken aback. “I, um, well I don’t date.”

“Who said it was a date? It’s just two friends sharing a meal together. Trust me you’ll know when I ask you on a date.”

Bailey grinned from ear to ear as she watched him drive away. She strolled into the house, the grin never fading and walked right into Amanda.

“Whoa are you okay there girly?”
“Hmmm? Oh yeah sorry I didn’t mean to run into you.” Bailey helped her sister-in-law pick up the spilled laundry.
“You met a boy didn’t you?” Amanda asked slyly. Bailey’s blush confirmed it. “Oh my god! Where? When?”
“We just met today! We’re just friends if that. I shouldn’t be dating anyone right now.”

Amanda smiled softly and threw an arm around Bailey’s shoulders.
“What ever you say. Come on let’s go see what your bone headed brother is doing.”
“He’s your bone headed husband.”
“God don’t I know it.”

They found him stretched out on the couch, his arm thrown over his eyes, snores emitting from his mouth. Bailey rolled her eyes; of course he would be asleep when he was supposed to pick her up.
“Hey Jordan!” she yelled startling him awake. He looked up at her in bewilderment. “Forgetting something?”

“I slept through my alarm didn’t I?” Bailey nodded. “Shit Bails I’m sorry!”
“Next time take your phone off vibrate so you can hear if I call you.” Jordan smiled sheepishly.
“Hey how did you get home anyways?”
“I had a friend give me a lift.”
“Awww Bailey made a friend!” he reached to pinch her cheek but was slapped away.
“I sweat if you keep pinching my cheeks I’m going to rip off your fingers.”
“Anger Bails anger. So what’s her name?”
His name is Alex.”
“His?” Jordan’s face darkened. “I wanna meet him.”

Bailey rolled her eyes and slumped on the couch.
“Don’t worry big brother, I’m not ready to date anyone right now.” Jordan pulled his sister to his side.

“Good.”

----

The walls of the therapist office were a cream color. Everything in the room seemed to give off a sort of glow. It was warm and inviting, which made Bailey feel more at ease. She was used to stark white rooms and uncomfortable chairs, so the plush leather sofa was a nice change.

“So Bailey,” she turned her attention to the woman sitting across from her. Dr. Hrezo was short; her feet barely touched the floor when she sat down. Her white hair was pulled back into a low bun so the vibrant earrings she wore stood out. She seemed a little eccentric but had a caring personality. Bailey was pretty sure she was going to like this woman.

“I’m reading from your file that you’ve been prescribed Zoloft. How is that working for you?”
“Okay I guess, it make me drowsy a lot of the time.” Dr. Hrezo jotted down a couple of notes
“Maybe we should think about switching you over to something different. Can’t be sleepy when you’re an artist.” Bailey smiled.

“I would like to talk about your incident, is that okay with you?” Bailey’s face paled, she absent-mindedly tugged on her sleeve to hide her scar. She nodded, giving the okay.
“You tried to commit suicide, may I ask how?”
“I um, I took blood thinners and had a few glasses of wine….”
“Where did you get the blood thinners from?”
“My dad takes them.”
“So you had been planning this?” Bailey nodded. “And you cut yourself correct?”
“Yes with an Exacto-Knife from my art kit.”
“May I see it?” Bailey slowly rolled her sleeve up reveling the long florescent scar that ran from the base of her hand to the bottom of her wrist.

“I’m very sorry about that Bailey, but we’re here to get you better. Are you okay to continue?” Bailey nodded.
“Okay why did you want to take your own life?” Why? No one had ever asked her why before. Not her parents or brothers, not even the doctors at the hospital.

Tears welled in her eyes as repressed memories swam to the surface.

“Why Bailey?” Dr. Hrezo pressed.

“Because I lost the baby.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Guys I'm loving all your comments! Thank you so much for reading! More to come :) Read & Review