Wake Me Up and Let Me Know You're Alive

All the Nightmares You'll See Tomorrow

Kellin ran to their tree as soon as the sun came up. He remembered what he had promised to Vic.
He had been at the funeral, holding Vic's cold, dead hand when he made the promise. "I'll be waiting in the tree," he had whispered. "I'll wait for you to come back. I promise... I'll be there Vic, I swear. I'll wait forever... I'll do it for you."

Kellin usually didn't go very high in the tree, but he felt like he needed to today. He climbed to the very top and watched the sun rise into the sky. "Vic is in the sky like the sun," he thought to himself. "He's lost, flying in the sky. But one day, he'll find his way back. I know he will."
Kellin stared up at the sky and smiled. His moment of happiness was interrupted my his mother who was yelling at him about going to high in the tree. Kellin didn't listen. He knew this was safe; Vic had taught him how to climb up here, it had to be safe. His mother kept yelling though, and he left his happy moment to get down from the tree. His hand grabbed a branch that was too thin, and it snapped under weight, even though Kellin barely weighed anything anymore. Vic had warned him about the thin branches. Why didn't he listen to Vic's warning? Kellin fell from the top of the tree all the way down to the ground. He heard his own thin bones snap and crack, but he didn't cry or scream. He didn't even flinch. This pain was nothing compared to the pain of losing Vic.

***

Kellin came home from the hospital that night with his arm and ankle in casts. He limped up to his room and sat on the window pane. His friend, the pocketknife, was already waiting for him. He cut the arm that wasn't in a cast, and looked out the window. A couple of tears rolled down his cheeks. "I'm sorry Vic, I should've listened. You told me not to go on the thin branches...But I did. Will you forgive me?"
He looked to the sky and waited. As always, there wasn't an answer.

***

The fall from the tree triggered something inside of Kellin. It made him remember something; an old memory of Vic. He had fallen out of the tree in the second grade. He had cried and Vic had kissed him better. That's when his feelings for Vic began. It made Kellin happy to remember. But there was something Kellin didn't know about remembering.

It brought the nightmares back.

Kellin woke up crying, screaming, and shaking. His dreams were so vivid, sometimes he couldn't separate them from real life. That was the terrifying part. He always drempt of Vic. Sometimes it was a pleasant dream. Other times they could be considered night terrors. Either way, he woke up screaming and crying. But Kellin didn't care. As long as he could see Vic in his dreams, he would be fine.

Downstairs, Kellin's parents talked about signing their son up for therapy. They signed him up as soon as possible.

Kellin was going to hate this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kinda shitty ending, but it's 4 in the morning so whatever I guess.
To be updated very very soon~