Status: very, very much incomplete

Throwing Shadows

the ghost who walks

“A hell hound, dean? I’ve never heard of anyone surviving an attack by a hell hound. Ever.”

“Yeah, well. From the way she described it, that’s what I got from it.”

Dean had made his way around the back of the motel into an empty lot. The events of the day stressing his already worried mind. His hair was mussed from his hand going through it so many times and he was beginning to wear a tread into the ground from all his pacing. He called bobby the second he got out the door of the motel.

“There’s something else”, dean said. Fear trying to run away with his voice.

“There always is”, replied bobby.

“She knew who I was. Said some woman showed up just before she breathed her last and saved her. Told her to find me. Said everything would be okay. I mean, I don‘t even know what the hell anymore bobby.”

There was silence on the other end.
“And you said she wasn’t a demon?”

“Haven’t met a demon yet who could stand the sting of holy water, let alone gulp down a whole bottle.”

“I’ve heard this story before. You boys put that girl in the car and get here like there’s a fire in your ass, you understand.”

“Yeah. Okay bobby.”

There was a click and dean folded his phone shut. Usually talking to bobby made him feel a little more safe. A little more in control. But this time bobby sounded as though he was as unsure and weary as dean. He put his hands over his face and ran them through his hair one last time.

The woman took one last look at herself in the mirror, making sure she covered all of her unmarked skin before faking a limp out the door. Luckily, there had been no major cuts on her face.

She saw Sam and dean standing over the beds. Sam was packing clothes and dean was, well, dean was just packing. She saw the silver polished glint of a gun stuck in the waistband of his jeans.

He looked over at her. She was much prettier without the dirt and blood covering her face, and it appeared she had far less cuts than it had seemed. At that moment, he began to feel sorry for her. Sorry that something had taken her into this life so violently. Sorry she had to know about the dark things in the world.

He looked over at her. She was much prettier without the dirt and blood covering her face, and it appeared she had far less cuts than it had seemed. At that moment, he began to feel sorry for her. Sorry that something had taken her into this life so violently. Sorry she had to know about the dark things in the world.

“You need anything stitched up?” he asked. Sam paused in his packing to hear her answer.

“Oh, no. it was mostly just dirt. Nothing a little soap couldn’t handle. Where are you going?”

Dean put his knife into the duffle bag on the bed in front of him. He smiled at her. He had the kind of smile that could convince you to do just about anything.
“We, as in the three of us, are going to visit a friend. It’ll be safer there and he might be able to give us some more answers about you. Our little mystery guest.”

“Oh. Okay then.”

The three of them piled into the old car and drove away before the first street light flickered out.