Take Care of My Baby

One

Dean Winchester likes to say that there are a few things in life that he's 100% certain of.

One: He's the best damn racer in the great state of California - hell, maybe in the whole United States.

Two: He's only got one baby in his life, and that's his 1932 Deuce Coupe, with her shiny black paint job and an engine that roars like a goddamn lioness protecting her cubs. But there ain't nothing wrong with fooling with all the pretty ladies in town.

Three: He does not, under any circumstances fall in love, and he definitely isn't the praying type. As far as he's concerned, he's the only person who keeps himself alive.

Four: Nobody fucks with his little brother unless they don't have plans to see the light of day again.

One would think that at the age of twenty-two, Dean Winchester has every thing sorted out. Looking at him, people see his greased-up hair, his tight white t-shirt, flannel shirt, and his black leather jacket. They see his dirty Levi blue jeans with rolled-up cuffs and his biker boots. They see the cigarette and the smoke that curls from behind Dean's wicked smile. They see his amulet glinting in the headlights his Coupe, and they see the dangerous sparkle in his green eyes.

What they can't see but can feel oozing off him is his confidence. He has it in spades. You can see it in his movements and his expressions and the way he walks and talks, in the way his hands grip tight on the wheel when the needle of the speedometer crawls into dangerous territory, in the winks he gives to all the giggling girls swooning over him.

So, yes, one might say that Dean's got his whole life put together just how he likes it.

That is, until the Novaks come to town.

__________

The moving trucks roll in on a lazy Saturday afternoon in late August, just before the school year starts. Dean Winchester eyes the caravan from the hood of his baby, cigarette between his fingertips and his little brother, Sammy, sitting next to him. It doesn't surprise him to see that they pull into the biggest, nicest house in the most rural part of town; thing's been sold for weeks with no sight of the family, but word on the street is that some real fancy fuckers had been checking the place out for a while.

Sam nudges Dean. "Think we should go introduce ourselves?"

"You know I don't do that 'people' shit," the older Winchester mutters, flicking the butt of his cigarette into an evaporating puddle. He can see Sam giving him that look from the corner of his eye, so Dean elaborates with, "Jesus, at least let 'em get settled in first, Sammy."

"Yeah, I guess."

The brothers wait on the hood of the car, curiosity taking over. Neither will admit it, but they've been as interested in the local gossip as everyone else, though Dean would never admit it. They watch as people pile out of the vehicles, one after another.

"Christ, you think they're all gonna live there?" Dean asks, his lip curled in disgust. A few people were bad enough, but this is ridiculous. He doesn't like newcomers in his neighborhood.

"I'm sure they won't be that bad."

"Yeah. That's what you said about Azazel and his family, and look at what a bunch of shits they turned out to be."

Sam rolls his eyes. "Whatever, jerk."

"Bitch."

The younger Winchester straightens up and brushes his hands on his jeans. "Well, I'm off to go pick up Jess. See you tonight at The Roadhouse?"

"You bet."

Dean punches Sam as he stalks off to Jess's house, grinning all the while. Jess is a real sweet girl, all smiles, sunshine-blonde hair, and a pretty little mouth that drops curses like a sailor. The first time she and Dean met, he hit on her, she kindly informed him that she "wasn't attracted to birdbrained hotshots, thank you very much", and Dean had known that his brother had found himself a keeper.

He sticks around for a while, watching the newcomers off in the distance, just little specks of people unpacking their things, before he gets in the Coupe and heads for the auto shop.

__________

Unlike Dean Winchester, Castiel Novak isn't sure of anything. He's not a man that girls throw themselves after, nor is he the confident type. He doesn't like to drive fast, and he'd prefer to stay indoors and read than to get his hands dirty. He isn't well-known for anything, and he likes to pray every night before he goes to sleep, not out of a belief in any god, but because it sets his mind at ease. When people see him, they don't see his nondescript sweaters and slacks as an enigma; all they see is a regular Joe with an exceptionally bright pair of cerulean eyes.

Castiel comes from a big family and at nineteen years old is the youngest of 6. He's got 4 older brothers - Michael, Lucius, Gabriel, and Zachariah - and one sister, Anna, who has graciously put up with the overabundance of testosterone for just over two decades. The siblings have always been close - though incredibly dysfunctional - and after their father's death, they had decided to all head to California for a change of scenery and a fresh start.

It's the concept of a fresh start that has Gabriel and Lucius knocking on his door at sunset, forcing him to hit the town with them. Gabriel, apparently, has already been chatting up a girl named Meg who told him about The Roadhouse, which is apparently the place to be. It's also the only reason why he drags himself from the middle of his book and tags along in the back of Lucius's brand new, bright red Chevy Bel Air convertible.

And as soon as they pull into the car hop diner, he regrets coming.

All eyes are trained on the three brothers in their flashy car, and if there's one thing Castiel hates, it's attention. He can see all conversations cease as curious teenagers and twenty-somethings eye them up. And while Castiel can't see him, he knows Gabriel is wearing his best shit-eating grin when he calls out, "Y'know, curiosity killed the cat!"

People seem to return to their conversations after that, startled into embarrassment by being called out by a newcomer. They still earned glances through the corner of their eyes, but nothing that they wouldn't have gotten anyway.

__________

Dean has his thumbs hooked in his pockets and is flirting with Lida Braeden when a shiny Bel Air swings into the parking lot of The Roadhouse. He knew right away that it was the new family, because the three faces in the car were ones he didn't recognize. There's a kid with shaggy hair in the front seat, a stupid grin on his face, and next to him is another guy with hair that looks like he just rolled out of bed. He doesn't catch who's in the backseat.

Lisa turns to him and whispers conspiratorially, "That's the new family who just moved in. The Novaks."

He merely nods, appraising them, when the one in the front seat cries out, "Curiosity killed the cat!" and Dean wonders if this'll be another hotshot who'll run his mouth until it gets bashed in.

All of a sudden, Meg is there, with her dark hair piled in a high ponytail and her bright red lips are parted in that dangerous smile of hers.

"C'mon, I wanna introduce you to the new kids on the block," she says in that slow, syrupy voice of hers. "I met one of 'em earlier; he's a real hip guy."

Dean doesn't protest as she nudges him forward. He just sticks his hands in the pockets of his jackets and saunters toward the car, Meg right behind him.

"Hey, Meg!" the one in the driver's seat exclaims in excitement as she walks up. "What's shakin', baby?"

She rolls her eyes and nudges Dean. "Came to introduce you to the top dog around here."

"Dean Winchester," he greets, sticking a hand out for the men to shake.

"I'm Gabriel Novak," the man grins. He nods to the man next to him, saying, "This is my brother, Lucifer-"

"Lucifer?" Dean asks, cutting Gabriel off as he reaches to take his hand.

"My real name is Lucius, but I'd rather you call me Lucifer," he says with a smirk. Dean nods, unable to help the way his lips turn up at the corners. "Our little brother, Castiel, is in the back."

Dean turns to shake Castiel's hand, too, thinking that this family's got a lot of real jacked up names, but his thoughts are frozen in their tracks by a pair of the most intense blue eyes he's ever seen. His body moves on autopilot while his mind stutters like an idling engine.

"Dean Winchester," he hears himself say.

And then - oh christ, his fucking voice - Castiel says with the tiniest of smiles, "Pleased to meet you," and Dean's a goner. He's got this gravely voice that sounds like he just got done having some real nasty sex, and it's the hottest voice Dean's ever heard. Castiel's looking at him with wide eyes, almost like he's in awe of the man before him, and Dean thinks he could melt under the intensity of the stare.

But he's Dean-goddamn-Winchester, and he's got a reputation to maintain, and he replies with, "You should be," and walks away. As he goes, he can almost feel the eyes burning holes in the back of his jacket, and he hears Meg telling the three men all about the race he's running the next day and how people are gonna be telling stories about him for years.

When he cruises around town that night, all the headlights remind him of crystal blue eyes.

_________

When Dean walks away, Castiel is left in shock. He can't believe someone could possibly be so rude, although he's never had to be the new kid in town before.

Lucius's jaw drops at the statement, spluttering about how he can't believe someone would treat his little brother that way, but Meg leans over the door and jabbers on about Dean and how he's a damn good racer, and how he's gonna be a legend one day soon. When blonde waitress walks over and introduces herself as Jo, Meg leans over and whispers to Castiel, "Don't worry about him, sugar. He just wants to make an impression," before winking and skipping away.

Castiel watches her go, thinking that he doesn't really understand people.

"So what can I get for you three?" Jo asks with a kind smile.

"Chocolate malt, largest size you got-"

"No, Gabriel."

"Fine, make that a regular. And... what's for dessert?"

"No dessert until you eat something normal first."

Gabriel turns around to give Castiel a glare. "Last I checked, you weren't my mom."

"When you get fat, don't come crying to me," is the response. Jo stifles a snicker with a cough and tries to act like nothing happened.

"Just a burger and fries, then, since killjoy over there is gonna throw a fit."

Jo nods and turns her eyes to Lucius. "What about you?"

"Same as him. Hold the milkshake, though; I'll just have a Coke."

"And for you?" Her gaze if finally turned on Castiel.

"The same for me, please."

"Alright boys, I'll have your food our for you real quick!" With one last smile, she's heading over to the next car to ask how they're doing.

While Gabriel and Lucius come up with the best ways to get into trouble in their new town, Castiel sits quietly and watches Dean Winchester interact with the group of people around him. The man is leaning against the side of a shiny black car - Castiel has no idea what the make and model is; cars really aren't his forte - with a cigarette between his full, smirking lips.

Castiel usually isn't attracted to anyone, especially not people who radiate confidence and danger like it's their job; it's just one big recipe for disaster. And yet, he can't look away. He'd be content just to watch this leather-clad god for the rest of his life.

"Hey, earth to Castiel, your food's here," Gabriel calls over the back of the seat, waving a french fry in his younger brother's face. "D'you wanna go hang out with them? We boring you, little bro?"

"No, I'm fine. Just daydreaming," he says. Ignoring Gabriel's teasing has become a part of him after spending so many years with the man.

His brothers return to their conversation, snickering incessantly about how crazy it would be to fill a girl's bag with crickets and trying to find their proper victim.

Dean is gone by the time Castiel finishes his burger. He doesn't think about what it means that he's disappointed.

When Castiel goes home, he remains annoyed that the most attractive man he's ever seen is also the most ill-mannered, and he's somehow still enamored with Dean's undeniable charm.
♠ ♠ ♠
Inspired by Take Care of My Baby by Dum Dum Girls, American Graffiti, and Deuce of Spades.