Take Care of My Baby

Two

After two weeks in town, Castiel ends up befriending three people: a dorky but well-meaning nineteen-year-old named Garth, a terrifyingly cheerful girl his age named Becky, and, believe it or not, Sam Winchester.

He met Sam at the local library on his second day in town and was surprised when the taller man asked if he could sit with him.

"I'm pretty sure you met my brother, Dean, the other night," he starts out with, then smiles and says, "He probably said something stupid, so I just wanted to apologize."

They chat for a while, not really about anything in particular. There are a few mentions of recommended reads and a little bit of small talk about how Castiel likes his new home, and then they both settle down with their respective books; Castiel with his book on sociology, Sam with his on basic law. They meet up almost every day, not sharing much more than a kind greeting and companionable silence.

Garth is a different story. Castiel was walking home from the grocery store when Garth bumped into him - literally. The kid is clumsy and awkward, and he helped Castiel pick up his bags and then walked him home, filling the silence with his own stories when he picked up on Castiel's hesitance to speak. Somehow, they end up in some of the same classes in college and ride together on the bus.

Becky, unfortunately, latches on to Castiel much closer than the other two men. Unlike Garth, she talks simply to hear her own voice, and unlike Sam, she never seems to be able to sit quietly. She has more energy than Gabriel on a sugar rush, but Castiel has never had many friends, and he's not going to blow off someone now.

And, well, he's damn glad for that when she comes flying into his kitchen one Tuesday morning before they walk to the bus stop together, babbling on about, "Dean Winchester asked me about you!"

Castiel stops pouring the milk into his cereal and looks up at her. "What?"

"Dean Winchester! Apparently he's been asking Sam a bunch of stuff about you, because he knows you two hang out at the library, but since you and I are even closer, he came and asked me what time you leave for school!" She's grinning excitedly as she says so, bouncing up and down on the balls of her feel. Castiel never told her about his silly crush on the older Winchester; Becky had somehow picked up on it herself. She never made one comment about him being gay and even seems to have herself convinced that Dean might like Castiel as well.

"Okay," he says, keeping himself calm. "What did you tell him?"

"Well, of course I told him exactly what time you left! I bet that, in a few days, he'll be rolling by here, offering to give you a ride in his baby," she says with a dreamy sigh as she lowers herself into one of the chairs. "Gee, I can't tell you how many girls would just die for a ride with him."

"What else did you tell him?" Castiel asks, trying to mask his need to know by making it appear as nothing more than innocuous curiosity.

"Oh, well I just happened to let it slide that you're a real tough catch, but worth the effort. I tried to make you sound all mysterious so that he'll get interested," Becky says, waggling her eyebrows.

Castiel merely gives her a skeptical look over his bowl of cornflakes. He honestly has a hard time believing that Dean Winchester would be interested in him as more than even a casual acquaintance, let alone the romantic interest that Becky seems to think will happen.

"Don't you give me that look, Castiel Novak," she scolds him. "Everybody knows that Dean has kissed a boy before."

"I thought that was just a rumor that a rival racer made up to make Dean look bad."

"But... well... I can just tell when people like each other! I'm really sensitive to it, I swear! And you guys are always giving each other these really meaningful looks when you think no one is looking!" Becky insists wildly, and Castiel has to shush her, because Gabriel is still home, and he doesn't want his family to hear this. He's not sure they'd take the news of his sexuality well, and the fact that he's pining away after Dean Winchester - a man they've already formed their skeptical opinions about - would not bode well for him.

"I really don't think he likes me, Becky. He was rude to me the first time I met him. And it doesn't matter that much, anyway."

"You hush! You two are perfect for each other, and I know he's gonna come a-callin' here soon," she says matter-of-factly, like there's no possible room for debate.

"Sure. And what if he comes? It'll take him one day to find out that I'm not like one of his one-night stands," Castiel points out quietly.

"Now, see, that's where I come in," she says, reaching forward to take Castiel's hands in her own. "I've got the perfect plan!"

__________

Dean's cracking open a beer when he suddenly asks, "What's that Novak kid like?"

Sam looks up from where he's doing his homework on the floor of the garage and says, "There's like, seven of them. Which one?"

"The one with the funny name."

"Dean." Sam's got one of his best bitchfaces on.

"What?"

"You only narrowed down like, two choices. I'm gonna need you to be more specific."

"Oh, you know. That weird one you always hang out with. Think his name starts with a C."

"Castiel?"

"Yeah, yeah, that one." Dean nods nonchalantly and takes a swig off his beer.

"What about him?"

"I already asked ya, Sammy, what's he like?" He throws one of his greasy shop rags at his younger brother.

"Way out of your league," Sam responds easily, throwing the towel onto one of the tables.

"Aw, shut up. You know I don't swing that way."

Sam gives him the look, the one that says, 'I know you're lying to me, Dean Winchester'.

The man in question huffs in irritation and demands, "Just answer the damn question, bitch."

"Jerk." Sam rolls his eyes and closes his book. He has a feeling he won't be able to get a whole lot done with his brother pestering him. "Cas is smart, and he's got this weird sense of humor that I don't think is even humor, he's probably just legitimately clueless. He likes swing music and reading, and he goes to the same university as me. That's about all I know."

"Huh." Dean merely nods his head and looks off into space.

"Like I said, he's too good for you."

Dean glares at Sam. "I didn't say nothin' about liking him, okay?"

"Yeah? Then what do you wanna know so much about him for?"

"Jesus, can't a guy just be curious?" Dean demands, throwing his hands up in exasperation. "He's just... he's the closest one to our age. I was just wondering if he was worth hangin' out with is all." He raises his eyebrows as he finishes off the beer, a silent challenge to his younger brother.

"I've known you all eighteen years of my life, Dean. I know when you're lying." So maybe Sam does feel in the mood to challenge him.

"And I don't give a rat's ass."

"All I'm doin' is lookin' out for you."

"That's my job, Sammy, not yours."

Sam's expression softens. "Dean, c'mon. You know I'm not gonna judge you or think any different of you. You're my brother."

"Yeah, yeah, I know. Don't go gettin' all soft on me," Dean grumbles as he stands up, putting a few tools back into his toolbox. "I'm gonna go make dinner. What d'you want?"

"Not hamburgers again."

"Tacos it is."

Dean leaves Sam groaning in dismay on the garage floor before he gets something thrown at him.

_________

Castiel can see him when he's walking down the road to catch the bus the following day. Dean Winchester in his leather jacket, leaning against the side of his baby, looking too attractive for his own good. Castiel, however, ignores him by walking straight ahead, not even casting a glance toward the other man.

"Hey, you need a ride to school?" Dean asks as Castiel completely bypasses him. The shorter man turns around and tilts his head to the side.

"Do I know you?"

Dean laughs, obviously not used to people being unaware of the prestige he's build up around him. "Uh, yeah. I'm Dean Winchester. We met the other day at The Roadhouse?"

"Oh, yes, Dean," Castiel nods, "I think I remember you."

"You thi-" the man cuts himself off and holds open the door to his car. "Need a ride?"

"No, I'm fine."

"I'll go real slow, I promise. I'm the best damn driver around, you'll be safer with me than with your grandma."

"No, thank you."

And with that, Castiel leaves.

__________

The next day, Dean is there again. He's rid himself of the jacket in exchange for a well-worn flannel shirt.

"Bet you got some nasty blisters walkin' all that way yesterday. You sure you don't want a ride?" Dean calls after Castiel, seeing the way he's walking uncomfortably.

The blue-eyed man stops and turns around. "They're really not as bad as they seem," he smiles, and then he's gone.

__________

Dean comes the following day wearing nothing but a black t-shirt. Cas can see the outline of the cigarette pack that he's rolled up in the sleeve.

"Think you want a ride today?" Dean asks from the front seat of the Coupe.

"I'd rather walk."

Dean almost groans in frustration. "C'mon, Castiel, don't be like that. I'm not such a bad guy."

"I've yet to see that."

Castiel keeps walking, leaving Dean gaping at him in disbelief. He hasn't been rejected so harshly since the fourth grade, and it fucking stings.

But he'll be damned if he gives up so easily.

__________

Every day for two weeks, Dean Winchester waits at the side of the road for Castiel without fail.

Every day, he asks, "Change your mind?"

Every day, Castiel answers, "No."

__________

"Sure is raining today! Sure you don't need a lift?"

Castiel shakes his umbrella just a little and says, "I'll be just fine, thank you."

__________

When Castiel runs down the road full-tilt, Dean stops him to offer, "Runnin' a little late today. Sure you don't want a ride? I'll get you to school on time."

Castiel merely keeps running. "I can make it!"

__________

"Wow, it's pretty hot! Think today you want a ride? It'll keep you nice and cool."

"No, thank you. It's actually quite beautiful."

__________

"Gee, you sure have a whole lot books today! Think it'd be more comfortable if you got a ride."

"Exercise is good for you."

__________

It reaches the end of three weeks when Dean finally loses hope. He decides that if Castiel doesn't want a ride today, then there's no point in him wasting gas just to get shot down.

He opens the door up when Castiel comes walking up, and he says, "C'mon, Castiel. I dunno what I did so wrong to make you hate me so much. But I promise I won't make you uncomfortable or anything; I just wanna help you out. It's gotta be real lame walkin' all that way to the bus stop every day."

"I really don't mind the walk," the other man says, although today there's a look of what appears to be regret in his eyes.

He waits until Castiel is farther up the road before he slams his hands on the steering wheel in frustration. He lets his head drop onto them. There went his last chance. He doesn't know how long he stays like that, but it's long enough for him to keep hold the disappointment at bay.

When he looks up, something is different than the usual view of the man with the prettiest blue eyes walking away from him. Today, a bright orange Chevy street rod crawls up to a stop in front of Castiel, and a few guys get out, surrounding Cas.

"Shit shit shit," Dean mutters as he starts up his car. Nobody messes with Castiel unless they want to get their face rearranged.

He floors it, but he still doesn't get there until one of the assholes has knocked Castiel's books all over the dirt road, and that just makes him even angrier. As soon as Dean makes it up to them, he leaps out of his car and cuts off one of the slimy motherfuckers before he can get to Cas.

"Well, well, well," the asshole sneers in the most nasally, obnoxious voice that Dean's ever heard, "This little fairy's got a friend, huh?"

"You might wanna shut your goddamn trap before you make me even angrier," Dean utters, his voice low and deadly. He turns to Castiel, who's picking his books up off the ground. "Cas, get in the car." The man looks up at him with wide-eyes, trying frantically to collect all of his papers. "I'll get your books. Just get in the car."

The motherfucker in front of Dean gags, which brings his attention back to the men in the street rod. "You two screwin' around together or what?"

In a second, Dean's got the man's white t-shirt in an iron-tight grip. His two lackeys shuffle backward in surprise. "I told you to shut your goddamn mouth, or didn't ya hear me?"

"Oh, I heard you loud and clear. I just don't take orders from no faggots," he grins. "You crazy or somethin', kid? Takin' on three guys yourself?"

"The fuck's your name?" Dean demands, ignoring the man's question.

"Alastair."

"What're you doin' in my town, Alastair?"

"Comin' to race the legendary Dean Winchester. Didn't know he let fairies hang 'round here, though."

"I'm gonna tell you something, Alastair, and I want you to open up them ears real good, you hear me?" he hisses. "You here for Dean Winchester? You're fuckin' lookin' at him. And I don't let no-good shits like you walk around my town, beatin' on anyone you see. Got it?"

Alastair merely lets out a dark laugh in reply. One of his friends mutters, "Cool it, Alastair."

"I asked you a question, motherfucker. You wanna give me an answer?"

"Oh, I won't bother anyone else," he responds. "Even your little boyfriend over there."

That's when the punches start flying. Alastair's got a broken nose on the first go, but he still comes up swinging. Blood is pouring down his face, and he's staggering like crazy, but he keeps coming at Dean. He gets in a few good punches to Dean's stomach, but, as he promised, Dean does a real good job redecorating Alastair's face.

The two lackeys end up dragging a bruised and battered Alastair out from the middle of the fight. They throw him in the backseat of the street rod and speed off, but not before the motherfucker calls out, "I'll see you at the race!"

Dean flips them off as they go, feeling anger swirling around inside of him. As soon as he remembers Castiel, however, sitting in his baby, some of that hate dissipates, and he bends down to collect the papers and books that litter the road.

"They're a little dusty," Dean says as he hands the books to Castiel and climbs into the front seat. "Sorry you had to see that."

"Don't be sorry. I should be thanking you," Castiel murmurs, his voice barely audible as he brushes the dirt from his things. "You didn't have to do that, you know."

"Yes I did. I ain't just gonna let some hotshot come into town thinkin' he can pick on you!" he exclaims, louder than he intended to. He can see the man beside him visibly flinch, so he brings his voice down. "It ain't right. Anyway, if you don't wanna ride with me, I won't be mad. Probably scared the shit outta you, anyway."

"No, that's okay. I, uh... I think I'll take that ride now," the man says. "If you don't mind." When Dean glances over, Castiel's blushing, and he's staring down at his own hands like they're the most interesting things in the world.

Dean can't help the grin that spreads out over his face. "Hot damn. Never thought this day would come." He starts up his baby and pulls back out onto the road.

The ride is quiet; he kinda figured it would be. Sam had mentioned that Castiel was a shy one. But it's kinda nice not to have someone jabbering on about something dumb all the time.

That's why he nearly jumps out of his skin when a gentle hand brushes against his knuckles.

"You're hurt," Castiel points out quietly. Dean looks down at his knuckles. Sure enough, they're raw and bleeding.

"Ain't nothin' too bad. I'll be okay," he shrugs, and it's true. Nothing feels broken, and a little bit of split skin isn't anything he can't handle.

Castiel doesn't say anything else for the rest of the ride. He doesn't protest when Dean cruises by the bus stop and heads straight for the university instead. Whenever Dean lets his eyes stray over, the man is staring out the window, but he looks content, so Dean doesn't say anything, either.

He pulls into the parking lot of the university and glances over at Cas, who's suddenly digging around in the knapsack he almost always has with him. When he sees Dean looking, he says, "Get out of the car."

"What?"

The man just motions to the door and steps out of the car himself. Dean has no choice but to follow suit. He watches carefully when the shorter man walks to his side of the car and grabs his hand.

"What are you doing?" he questions curiously.

Castiel glances up at him with those pretty blue eyes and says, "I'm not letting you walk around with bloody knuckles because of me."

Then, he trickles some water on the cuts on Dean's hands. Winchester stares at him, enraptured by his ever movement and the precision with which Castiel washes out his cuts and bandages him up with some cloth he pulled out of his bag. He's kinda sad when the man finishes and drops his hand.

"See you around," Castiel smiles, and then he's gone.

Dean can't move for a while, and when he drives home, he's grinning like an idiot.

___________

The next day, Dean parks off to the side of the road and waits for the younger man to walk down the road. He has no expectations that Castiel will even want to ride with him after seeing him fight, but Dean is never one to turn down opportunity.

He leans against the back of the car with his hands in his pockets and watches as Castiel walks down the road toward him, arms full of books. He offers Dean a quiet smile and says absolutely nothing, but he climbs into the passenger seat of Dean's baby.

"Finally gonna let me give you a ride?" Dean grins. He can't help showing how excited he is.

Castiel gives him a muted smile and shrugs. "Guess you've earned it."

Through the rumble of the engine and the biggest grin he's sported in a long time, he murmurs, "Well, hot damn."