‹ Prequel: Echo
Status: Being Written

Safe & Sound

One

Tyler:

I never wanted to leave her like that. Crying on my steps as I drove away, but I promised I wouldn't leave again without saying goodbye. After everything we've been through, I'm hoping me being overseas for awhile won't ruin our relationship when I come back. If Nicole were to move on, I would be upset of course, but if she is in a good relationship I will be happy for her and whoever she is with. I know it's not what I would want, but all I really want to see is Nicole happy. Even if that means her being with another guy.

Nicole:

I know we've been through a lot, but that was one of the hardest things I think we've gone through. Hearing Tyler say he is going overseas to play and he doesn't know how long it will be for scares me. I know if he was gone for long he would want me to be happy and move on, but I can't picture myself with anyone else right now. I certainly don't want to just date any guy to try and replace Tyler, but not having Ty around is going to be hard to get used to.

(2 months later)

Nicole:

I haven't talked to Tyler too much. Because of the time change and everything, we don't ever get to call each other, only text. But by the time I get his text and reply, he is sleeping, and visa-versa. It sucks not talking to or seeing Tyler much anymore, but I have been hanging out with Adam Mcquaid a bit lately. He had an injury at the end of the season and isn't playing anywhere right now, but he will join the Providence Bruins once he is cleared to play. He knows about Tyler and the whole situation of him leaving and he doesn't want to rush into anything with me, and I respect that. Adam definitely is different from a lot guys I've known, but he's a bit similar to Ty. He is very understanding, kind, comforting, funny; okay pretty much just like Tyler, but that's not why I like him. I don't want to try and compare any guy to Tyler cause that isn't fair to them, but maybe dating a guy that has similar qualities as him will help me move on.

Today Adam is getting checked by a doctor to see if he is cleared to play. He suffered a concussion during the playoffs last year and wasn't ready to go play overseas like everyone else. It was really hard for him, I know he was upset because of the lockout, but it was worse when he couldn't even play in the NHL or anywhere else cause of his injury. Now he is happy that he could be playing with Providence in the AHL if he is cleared. He asked me to go with him to the doctor today and to be honest I was kind of shocked. I mean, sure Ty got hurt a few times and went to the doctor, but Adam almost seemed a bit scared. He has a good reason to be though, this is his second major concussion and they are definitely something you don't want to mess with.

Adam was going to pick me up on his way and I was actually a bit nervous for him. I've known him for as long as I've known Tyler since they were on the same team, but now that I'm closer to him, I do genuinely care about Adam and would hate to see anything happen to him. I got a text from Adam saying he was here and went outside. "Hey." He gave me a kiss on the cheek as I got in the car. "Hey, how are you feeling?" He shrugged as he pulled out of the driveway. "Okay I guess, nervous." I held his hand as he started driving. "Don't be, I will be right there next to you. Everything is going to be fine. Trust me." I gave him a smile and he smiled back. "Thanks Nicole. Where would I be without you?" We both laughed as he focused on the busy Boston road.

Tyler:

I never thought playing overseas would be so, intense! I mean I knew it was pretty good competition and skill level, but people here really take it seriously, like maybe even more than fans in the States. It kinda sucks coming home from practice or a game and not having Nicole with me. Or not going out for our routine after-practice lunch. I really miss her and all of that, but I had no choice, I had to come here. I have to keep telling myself that or else I might just pack up and leave one of these days. I've heard she is doing well though, and from her texts she seems to be doing fine without me, sadly.

The time change really messes up any chances we have at talking too. Because I don't get her texts until I wake up, I might see something from our conversation that happened hours ago and not even remember what we were talking about in the first place. I just wish I had her here with me, then our conversations would never be messed up and we could talk for hours until we fall asleep together, not one of us falling asleep the same time the other is waking up. I really hate lockouts, I hope I never have to go through one of these things again.

Nicole:

After the doctors appointment we got back in the car and went to Adam's place. "How do you feel now Adam?" He let out a sigh as we both looked at each other from across the kitchen counter. "Still a little nervous, but I guess a bit happier that's over." I walked over and wrapped my arms around his waist. "Why are you nervous? He cleared you to play, he said you were fine." He rubbed his face and I could tell he was a little upset. "Because, what if it happens again? What if it is worse next time? What if I can't play again?" "Adam, don't worry about all that. All you should be worrying about is what your going to take with you to Providence." He laughed and turned around in my arms and I gave him a smile.

"Thanks." I looked at him confused. "For what?" "Everything. Going with me today, keeping me calm, and for just being so amazing." I looked at him and for the first time I saw the real Adam. Not the big guy you see hitting everyone and getting into fights on the ice; the Adam beneath the Bruins jersey. He is really just a young guy who is scared about what affect the NHL could really have on his health. "Aw, Adam. Thanks, really I'm not that great, but I'll take the compliment." He laughed and we went to pack his stuff for when he leaves for Providence.

Tyler:

Today was the first free day I've had in awhile. I figured I would try and call Nicole, it couldn't hurt. It would probably be night time where she is, but not too late that she would be asleep. "Hello?" When I heard her voice it was like my heart skipped a beat, it really has been too long. "Hey, Nicole. It's me Tyler." I assumed she forgot who I was. "I know, I'd recognise that voice anywhere." We both laughed. "So um, how have you been?" "Good. You? How's Switzerland?" "That's good, I'm good. And Switzerland is, foreign. I really miss Boston. How is it there?" "Um, I'm actually in Providence." "Oh really? How come?" "I'm here with Adam, Mcquaid, he just got cleared to play for them." "Oh, Quaider, how's he?"

"Good, a little nervous about playing again after that last concussion, but we're good." We're good? I figured Nicole would move on, but I never thought she would choose Adam, I mean I would think Brad or Patrice before Mcquaid. "Well, that's good. I'm really glad to hear it. Hey, I have practice, so um, I gotta go." "Yeah Adam's game is about to start so, I will talk to you later?" "Yeah, sure, sounds good. Bye Nicole." "Bye Ty." Okay, so I lied and said I had practice, but that's the only way I was getting out of that awkward situation. I know I said I would be happy for Nicole and whoever she was with, but it still sucks to know she has moved on, and it's even worse when it's one of your teammates.
♠ ♠ ♠
First chapter of the sequel!!! I totally was inspired when Safe & Sound by Taylor Swift came on my iPod today. So here is the first chapter I know it's kinda weak, but I was writing in the car coming home from a hockey tournament, I promise the other chapters won't be as weak. Comments and subscribers maybe, please?? Thanks!