‹ Prequel: Echo
Status: Being Written

Safe & Sound

Three

Nicole:

After the way Tyler reacted the other day, I didn't think Adam could be any worse. He was getting home later tonight and was going to come to my place after he unpacked. I was trying to think of a good way to tell him, but I was so nervous I couldn't stick with one idea. I was nervously waiting for him to knock at my door. I cleaned a bit, then watched tv, but was still freaking out a bit. After what seemed like hours of waiting there was a knock on my door. I opened it to see Adam standing there with a big smile on his face. "Hey." I gave him a hug and kiss as he came inside. "How are you?" "Happy know that I'm back, happy to be back in Boston, but happier now that I'm here with you." I gave him a smile and another kiss. "I'm happy your back too." "So how did everything go with the doctor, you never did tell me." He leaned against the counter and I quickly tried to think of how to tell him. "Before we get to that, there is actually a surprise for you in the spare room." I pointed to the door and he looked confused. "What is it?" "Go see." I gave him a nervous smile and followed as he walked over to the room.

He opened the door and walked in. I looked at him and he stood their shocked. He looked around the room and then back at me. "Surprise!" "You're pregnant?" I shook my head yes and he picked me up then spun me in a circle. "I didn't want to tell you while you were in Providence, I didn't think it would be right." "This definitely was worth the wait." He gave me a kiss and I could tell he was really happy and excited, but on the inside I still feel bad, I can't truly be happy when Adam doesn't know the whole story.

Tyler:

Tonight the guys wanted to get together to celebrate the lockout being over. I totally up for it, I haven't seen my teammates in a while and I'm excited to get this season started. The only person I'm not too excited about seeing is Adam. I'm happy for them, but their is still a part of me that wishes I was still with Nicole and that baby was going to be my kid. But I have to put things like that a side whenever I'm around the team because I can't drag personal stuff into the room and on the ice.

I got to Chara's house where we are hanging out tonight and a bunch of the guys were already there. We all started catching up and telling funny lockout stories. It really didn't even seem like there was a lockout because we all were acting like we had just had a long holiday break or something. "Quaider!" Everyone shouted as Adam walked in, this was the only guy I didn't hoot or holler for when he walked in. I don't really have any problems with the guy, but being around him will cause me to think of Nicole, and in a short season where everything counts like this one, I can't risk getting distracted. "Hey guys!" He walked over and gave everyone hugs except me. Everyone knew the whole story, and I wasn't offended at all, we both have a mutual understanding I guess. "Hey Adam, I heard the news congrats man." All the guys also gave their congrats, I'm guessing it's public news now. I just took a sip of my drink and ignored their new conversation.

"Segs, what's up?" Marchand knew something was up and took me outside. "Brad, just leave it alone." "Come on man, we're too close for me to just 'let something go'. Now what's up?" I looked away and took a sip of my drink. "Is it Nicole?" "I pretty sure it's obvious Brad. I'm pretty sure everyone notices the weird vibe between me and Adam now." "Well, you had to break up with Nicole right?" "Yeah, I mean at least that's what I felt I had to do. I didn't want to make her wait for me because I didn't know how long I would be gone." "See, so why get upset? You did what you thought was right." "It still hurts knowing she is with one of me teammates now! And the fact that she is pregnant makes it worse!"

"Well, what are you gonna do?" "Nothing, I can't break them up, I would never. I mean all I want is for her to be happy, but it's hard knowing she's happy with him." "Well, you just have to let it go man, because unless you get traded, which I doubt is going to happen, or maybe he gets traded, your stuck on the same team. So you have to get rid of the tension between you two because we don't need any of it in this shortened season." I shook my head and Brad walked away. "He is right you know." I turned and saw Adam standing there. "Dating Nicole isn't enough now you want to listen in on my conversations?" He laughed and walked over. "Tyler, trust me I honestly never thought about doing that to you. But she really is a great girl, and I didn't start dating the day after you left. She took awhile to really get over you, and I respected that and waited for her to feel okay." "I don't care if you meant to or not, but it still doesn't feel alright seeing you with her, especially when you're my teammate. Now the fact that she's pregnant." "Trust me, it threw me for a loop for sure. But look, I'm not gonna go along with all this high school relationship drama with you. If you don't want to associate yourself with me that's fine, but just don't let it affect the team." "I agree. The team is more important then any bullshit between us." "Agreed." We shook hands and went back inside. I guess I can be sort of civil with Adam, but I wouldn't go as far as friends, that might take a while.

Nicole:

The girlfriends of Adam's teammates were really nice and decided to throw a baby shower for me and Adam. They planned it at a local country club, and the guys would eventually get there after they finished doing whatever they had planed. It really was a great gesture and I'm thankful for them, they really are helping me out. My mom and brothers were in town for the shower and I was really excited to see them. They picked me up at my place and we headed to the country club for the shower. I was nervous for the shower because it's making me realize that I'm really going to be parent. We have to pick out a name, we have to pick the godmother and godfather, there is a lot to do and now that Adam is busy with hockey it will be much harder to do those things.

We got to the venue and it was beautiful! Even though it was really cold out, inside it truly was amazing. I saw all my friends and family there, including a bunch of Adam's family who I met during a break when we went to his hometown. I was happy that so many people were here and I was grateful for all the gifts they were giving us. It really helps having a lot of people supporting you through this process because it can be scary and hard at times. We had a great lunch and everyone mingled a bit before we opened gifts. I was sitting at my table talking with friends when I saw him standing in the distance. I was confused why he was here, but went and talked to him anyways. "Hi." "Hi." "You look beautiful." "Thanks. You look pretty good yourself." "Thanks. Heels though? Aren't you supposed to be pregnant?" We both laughed. "Hey, I wanna look good, I don't care about being comfortable." He shook his head. "Same old Nicole." We both smiled and it seemed pretty awkward. "I really am happy for you, you know that?" "I do. I also know you are upset too, but you try not to show it." "I am. But I'm not gonna make it obvious. Everyone knows I'm upset so why show it?" "Ty, I just. I didn't want to hurt you with all of this. I mean, you left in September. I didn't start dating Adam until the end of November. It took me awhile to come to terms with you leaving, it's not like I went looking for someone right away." "I get that, but it still doesn't feel good knowing it's one of my teammates your with and that he is gonna be the father of your child, but I have to come to terms with you being with someone else and that we won't be together again." "It doesn't mean we can't be friends." I looked at him sincere and he could tell I was a bit hurt by the way he was acting.

"It's just, it's hard to see all this and wish that it was me instead of Adam." "Well, we both have to realize it can't be that way." I walked away to start opening gifts and Ty walked over to the table with my family and he sat and talked with my brothers about hockey I assume.

Tyler:

I sat with Nicole's brothers and kind of zoned out after the first few gifts she had opened. When I said I wish it was me instead of Adam she almost implied she did too. She said 'we both have to realize it can't be that way.' I mean I'm not wrong am I? Well, it doesn't matter that much, it isn't me so I can't worry about it. I don't know a lot about women being pregnant, but I thought they usually have baby showers when they are, more pregnant. I mean she can't be more than 2 and a half months. Although, she does have a bit of a belly now, and I don't think it's weight from eating or anything like that. This whole situation is really starting to get confusing.

Nicole:

While opening gifts I pulled out my phone to text Adam. He said they were stuck in traffic because the snow outside was really bad and they probably wouldn't make it. I told him it was fine and to just be safe. We continued opening gifts and eventually the shower was over. "I just want to thank all of you for coming and thank you so much for the gifts. Adam and I greatly appreciate it, and we love all of you very much. So thank you all again, and please be safe I know it's pretty nasty outside." I gave hugs to people as they were leaving and thanked all of my girl friends for throwing this together. "Nicole how are we getting all of this stuff to your place?" My mom called me over and I was planning on Adam getting here and we would use his car, but because of traffic that didn't happen. "Um, hey Tyler!" I saw Tyler talking to my brothers and called him over. "What's up?" "Could we maybe load this stuff in your car and you could help me take it all to my place and then help me unload it?" "Yeah, I could do that." "Okay, thanks. Let's hurry and load the stuff up before it gets worse outside.

We got to my place and hurried to get all of the stuff inside. We put everything in the babies room and Adam and I would go through all of it later. We put the last things into the room then went into the living room. "Well, thank you so much for your help. I really appreciate it." "Of course, anything you need, I will always be there to help." He gave me a smile and I gave one back. "So how far along are you?" "A few months. Why?" "Well, no reason." "Tyler, it's okay, say what you wanted to say." "Well, I just thought women have baby showers closer to pregnancy." "Well I think the girls planned it a lot earlier due to have crazy the schedule will get in the later months during the season." "Oh okay. Well, I will let you get some rest. Tell Adam I said hi when you see him." "I will. Thanks again Ty." I gave him a hug and kiss on the cheek before he left. I am started to get nervous. Tyler seems to be almost questioning this pregnancy and that could become a problem if he thinks he has found anything else out. Let's just hope he drops it and moves on.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so Can I get some more people commenting please? I want to know what you guys are thinking about this story so far. Thanks again!