To Philly With Care

Weekend In Montreal

***For my own ease this chapter will be written in English***

When I made it downstairs the next morning at 7 am it was to the smell of food. Eggs specifically. “Morning Jass.”

I half smiled as I sat at the island. Moni was cooking, I loved her cooking. “What got you up so early?” I asked as I pondered what we might have for drinks here right now.

“Your grocery delivery. Dans is in the shower. Breakfast will be in about 5 minutes. There’s juice in the fridge.” She had everything for a healthy breakfast. Eggs she was working on, I saw my favorite whole wheat english muffins, there was some lean ham already cooked and I saw the makings for my breakfast shake.

I chuckled. “Max. If I show you where the blender is hidden do you think you could get it out for me? It’s Industrial Strength and not something we want taken just in case.” I opened it’s hiding spot and Moni grabbed it out for me. I then began making my normal breakfast shake.

“You should know he sent us with care and feeding tips. I swear he’s taking this overly seriously.” I started the blender and drowned everything else out.

When it was smooth I stopped it. “Well we are having to take much better care of me rather than him this year. Fortunately Dr. Sykes says we’re doing wonderfully. Besides it keeps Max from going nuts about things he can’t control by making sure he controls what he can.” I offered her a taste but she shook her head no.

Dani came down ready to face the day. “There’s my favorite girls and with breakfast. I thought we’d have to go to a diner.” We both laughed.

After eating and taking a shower I felt human, that’s when they dropped the other shoe. “Ok hon, I hope you are ready cause we have pampering plans for us all. We booked, with Dr. Sykes written permission, a partial day of pampering for us all at Spa Ovarium. We needed his permission for the pulsar treatment which he gave to us while you were in the bathroom. Then we’ll be having a floatation bath and capping it off with massages, yours good for mamas-to-be. In fact we need to scoot or else we’re going to be late.”

It was 8:55 when we walked in the front doors. “Hello we have 3 Revelation packages scheduled at 9 am.” Dani said, presenting the paperwork she had.

The receptionist smiled. “Yes here you are. Have you decided on what the other 2 massages are going to be? I see we already have a pregnancy one booked.” She handed a brochure up and the girl perused it.

After a few moments Monique won the discussion with her argument. “If you don’t like it I’ll get you another when we get home that you will like.” She handed the brochure back and smiled. “We’ll take the Lomi-atsu.” She nodded and soon we were whisked back into our therapies.

3 hours later we walked out. I felt incredible. The pulsar therapy made me feel very receptive to what I might need. The floatation bath felt like I was _in the womb instead of _being the womb. I swear I felt more in tune with the kids and the stress had drained away. I felt lighter in spirit. I absolutely loved my massage therapist. When she found out I was having twins she made sure to give my back and stomach muscles extra attention. I felt like a whole new mama.

Dani and Moni were waiting for me also looking very relaxed and rejuvenated. We went to meet Sofia for lunch. It turns out that during lunch both Sofia’s and my cells rang. Hers was canceling the hair and makeup trial due to an emergency in the stylist’s family and mine was from Ella asking when we could meet her and her team. We weren’t very far from them so we said we’d be right over.

Walking in to the Ella Studio I was hopeful. When I shook hands with Ella herself she was surprised. “Well Kallie said you were pregnant, she didn’t say _how pregnant.”

I laughed. “Believe it or not we aren’t done yet. Twins make the mama bigger. Kallie told me you guys met at a wedding and she’s determined to have you _at her wedding not shooting it.”

She laughed. “I love Kallie she’s a great person. I so rarely get to go to weddings I’m not shooting.” We chatted a bit while her hair stylist, Malina looked at Danielle’s hair.

“Jass?” Dani called. I got up and moved over to her. “Would you care if I drastically changed my hair?” She’d been mildly complaining about her hair for a few weeks.

“Why should I care? It’s your hair. As long as you’re happy, I’m happy.” It was true, I didn’t care how long or short her hair was, nor even what color. If Dani was happy, so was I.

She blew me a kiss and turned to Malina. “Ok we have free reign from the bride but I do have an important job running the Children’s Hospital in Philadelphia so…” She was twirling her hair.

“What if we cut it to just above shoulder length at the nape of your neck.” Malina smiled. “Then maybe curled it?” She pulled out a book and showed Dani what she meant. I saw Dani’s eyes light up and knew she’d go for it. “Then if no one minds I’m gonna go ahead and do this now, then I’ll work on mama.”

Monique giggled. “I’m so glad I know what I’m doing and can do it myself. Can we borrow the book so we can maybe find something for Jass while you work?”

I got moved into the makeup chair for an inspection. “Wow your skin is great for being so far along.” We began chatting about what I did, not much other than use a moisturizing sunscreen right now and how I wanted to look. Monique had some pictures from when she thought I looked happy and radiant from past events. We started talking about those events and I didn’t even notice that Janet began picking up her brushes. We showed her what all of our dresses looked like and she smiled. “You guys are going to look great. You said this was a wedding and a baptism?”

We talked about that for a bit until Dani came over. I gasped as I saw her in the mirror. “I love it!” She flushed. “Seriously you look incredible!” I got spun around and it was Dani’s turn to gasp. I looked in the mirror and grinned.

While I let Malina play with my hair the other two let Janet do her thing. “Are you wearing a tiara or anything?” She said as she brushed my hair out.

“No, I do have a ribbon rose hair decoration.” I pulled out my phone and showed her the one I had ordered from Etsy. “It’ll be navy blue. Our colors are navy and silver.”
“That’s great. I have an idea but I’d like to see if you’d let me do it before I jump into it. It’s a rather intricate braid.” She pulled up a picture and showed me.

It took me a minute to process that the page was in Spanish then I began looking at the directions. “If you think I can pull this off, it looks lovely. It would certainly show off the earrings I was going to wear.” That’s all it took for her to begin following the directions. 45 minutes later she was pinning it in final place. My mouth fell open as I finally looked. I had closed my eyes so I would be surprised. It looked simple but I knew it wasn’t. I couldn’t speak, I loved this look! I opened and closed my mouth a few times but no sound came out.

Dani translated. “That means she loves it, you took her words away.” She fist bumped Moni and then Malina. “I’d say this is the one Jass.” I nodded vigorously and nothing came undone. My eyes went wider and then I grinned.

After paying for the trials Sofia didn’t have anything else for us to do on Thursday. Instead of just going back to the house and being bored, Sofia asked what I wanted for the kids here already for February. When I didn’t answer quickly she sighed, picked up her cell phone and dialed Lucie. “Mama, family dinner at Max and Jass’ house tonight. The boys will need tools. We’re going shopping for the babies.” Lucie quickly invited herself along which none of us minded.

Unlike my first foray into Toys R Us, this time I knew what I wanted and needed. I wanted 2 crib eventually but I only needed one at first. I know I wanted 2 changing stations one for each level and which ones I wanted too. As we tallied up our order to be loaded into Will’s truck it hit me just how much I had to do before these two joined us and how little time I had to do it.

We grabbed the main furniture Max and I had decided on and then began looking at the more fun stuff. Lucie picked up a neutral pack and play that had a bassinet option. “For downstairs. You want somewhere safe to put them down when they are asleep.” We grabbed 2 of the same changing pads, one for each station, and some covers for them.

Coming to mattresses I looked long and hard. I wanted something that would stand up to what we needed and grow with them. I found one that we could flip when they got into the toddler stage and have it be a gel cool mattress. We loved ours so I got 2. “So they can’t fight about it.” The rest of them laughed at me except Lucie who patted my arm in an understanding manner.

Then we got to the fun part. Max and I had agreed that we didn’t want traditional colors for our boy and girl so we were going with Green for him and Purple for her. Good thing cause I had already gotten some crib sets in those colors. Now it was time to find something similar for this house. We easily found the purple set, it was by Sweet Jojo just like the two at home. I loved it, it was not a typical baby set which made it perfect for our not so typical baby. Sofia found a funky green and brown set that I fell in love with as well. We got more crib sheets and waterproof matters covers.

Now it was time to hit health and wellness for them. I started looking at baby laundry stuff and Lucie stopped me. “Just switch everything to dye & perfume free. Get some of the baby OxiClean here so you can soak their things right away.”

“What about cleaning supplies? I use earth friendly ones already.” I loved the way what I used cleaned and smelled.

“If they are already earth friendly they should be child friendly as well. You don’t need a special laundry detergent if the whole family uses the same, plus it’s better for your skin too.” It was hard not to listen to her when she was soft spoken about things like this, only offering advice when asked. So different than my family.

We decided that for now this would do us. We could buy diapers and things like that once we were here. The truck was loaded and all of us headed for the house. We got back in time for Frank, his family and dad to get there. Within minutes I got put on the couch and told that I was not allowed to help, my job was to relax.

I did get a task though, which helped. I got to unwrap everything we had just gotten so it could be either put together or washed. We also made plans to hit an organizing store early tomorrow before we picked Max up for all of the tastings. This way we could get the closets here ready for having so many tiny baby clothes in them.

While Dani washed what could be, Moni helped the boys get the furniture put together. Mom came over and sat next to me. “Have you two started talking names yet?”

I shook my head. “No, we need to though. I think I know what I want to name our little girl, if he agrees.” I leaned closer and whispered the name to her. She smiled and nodded.

Just then the front door opened. “Hello the house!” Max was here?! I heard him close the door and pad through to the living room. “There are my best girls.” He came over and kissed both of us. “What’s everyone doing here?”

I pointed to the changing table in the corner. “We did some shopping after we got through with our stuff. You brothers, dad and Moni are putting the rest together upstairs.” He came around, sat down beside me and began rubbing my belly. “What are you doing here?” I elbowed him lightly.

“Coach said that I needed to check on you and that as long as I make it to practice I can even stay here tonight.” He smiled and noticed my hair. “I like it.” He said lightly playing with it.

I chuckled. “Forget you’ve seen it, you’ll see it again. We whittled our list down today. We can cross off hair, makeup, pictures and video all thanks to Kallie.” I laid my head on his shoulder and cuddled. “Maman reminded me that we need to choose names. I think I have our girl’s name.” I pulled him closer and whispered it to him. “What do you think?”

“It’s perfect. I had an idea for our boy’s name.” He whispered it in my ear. I nodded and smiled as he pulled back. “Well that was easier than I thought it could be.” He kissed me and got up. “I’m going to see if I can help, do you need anything?”

A few hours later Max and I lay in our bed. “We have names.” I said marveling at it.

“Good names too.” He added as he set his alarm. “Remember that Danny is here so if you want to pick his brain tomorrow would be a good time.” We settled in and let sleep take us.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The next morning was a hive of activity. Max had to be at practice and we had organizing stores to hit up for some ideas. We’d be back to pick him up and then off to the tasting. We hit a few smaller stores and found some inserts that would help in the downstairs table.

My phone rang as we were walking into the Bell Centre. “Hello?”

“Jassmine, your Grandmother just told me that she’s hosting your baby shower on the 22nd. For me to get anything for you I need to know what colors you’re using in the nursery.” Ah, mother how did I know you’d have to push your way into the shower… oh yeah Gran told me.

Putting on a smiled and working on not taking her head off I answered her. “We’re using Green for our son and Purple for our daughter. Names for the two of them won’t be revealed until we’re ready to do so.” I cut off her next question as I head her harumph on the phone. “We’re hoping that when they kids are big enough to separate that it will be easier by using those colors.” It was one of the things Max and I had talked about as we drifted to sleep one night.

“Well what kind of theme is that?” I heard my sister on the phone and knew I was on speaker.

“Actually _Ang, it’s a good one. This way we aren’t forcing them into liking anything nor are we giving in to the typical blue and pink stereotype.” My sister hated being called Ang which just meant that I used it to make points in our conversations.

“It’s complete nonsense to not tell us names either unless you haven’t picked them yet.” She countered.

“We have picked them, we just want to keep them a secret for a little while. This weekend is for us to find things we need for our wedding so, I need to go. I’ll come by when I get back home.” I said goodbye and hung up. I had been finding my backbone with my family since the lawsuit.

I looked up to find that we were surrounded by some of the Habs. I sighed. I had known this was a serious possibility but I had hoped it wouldn’t happen. “Why the big sigh mama?” I turned to find Danny at my elbow.

“Hi Danny. I’m just kind of tired. Been a busy morning so far, getting the kids room ready here. This afternoon we’re doing a tasting for something special happening in February.” He took my elbow in his hand and guided me into a nearby chair.

“Sit, you need a chance to relax a little bit.” I chuckled. “No you don’t know how busy you will be once the little ones get here. If you haven’t begun stocking things for the first two weeks, do so now. It will be easier on all of you.” He smiled fondly at me. I still got phone calls from his boys asking if they could help me in any way, more since the news leaked I was pregnant. “When Caelan was born, oh my, we were so overwhelmed, even with her mother coming over to help because neither of us had much experience with newborns. My mother had told us to stock things and it was the best advice we got. We had things we didn’t need but it was worth it when at 3 in the morning he suddenly wanted only one thing and we had it already.”

I smiled. I had heard the same from several people. “I have no idea how to stock the house here yet. I have a few things back in Philly already. The girls are going to throw a shower for me in a few weeks, hopefully they won’t come before then.”

I heard the Flyers before I saw them. “Did you guys hear, Jass is huge.” I bristled, I was not huge! Danny laid a hand on my shoulder and then stood up.

“She is not, she’s beautiful. Whoever told you she’s huge is wrong Zac.” I saw Zac’s eyes go wide as he spotted me. I knew who had told him. By Danny’s next words he knew too. “Gina has not had children, for being as far as she is with twins, Jass isn’t big.”

Max came over to me and kissed me. “Thank you Danny, I think she’s extremely beautiful. Now, however, it is time for us to go figure out what we will be having on a special night in February.” Most of the guys made whip noises. Max laughed and escorted us out of the Bell Centre.

Soon we sat at a round table. Sofia had just come into the room from finalizing how they wanted to do this. “Ok, the 3 bakeries and 4 caterers we have willing and able to do the date in question were all kind enough to agree to come here because of Jassmine being so pregnant. Hopefully we will find which of them suits what’s going on and that we like.” She sat down and nodded to the doorway.

The first catering company came in. “Hello we are from 8 Catering. We brought the chosen menu of the bride and groom. The salad is our Classic Caesar. The entrees are our Teriyaki-grilled chicken and Filet Mignon with Bordelaise sauce. On the side are whipped potatoes and ginger-glazed carrots. We hope you enjoy it.” Plates were set before us and they left our room.

I cut into the Filet and savored it. Juicy, tender and just plain yummy. Moni broke the silence. “I like that this seems simple. The flavors aren’t though, they should make for some happy adults.” Everyone nodded.

Lucie spoke up next. “I like that the kids will know what they are eating, even the little ones. They will like that you thought of them.” I smiled around the bite of carrots I had. I wanted the kids to have happy memories of this.

Soon those plates were cleared and we wrote privately on cards about what we thought of the sample meal. Then the first bakery came in. Max and I wanted chocolate cupcakes and decorated sugar cookies. “Hello we’re Cho’cola. We hope you enjoy our offerings.” They set platters of cupcakes down with varied frosting and elaborate cookies down.

Max took a bit of one of the cupcakes and made a face. “Didn’t we tell them no alcohol flavored frosting?” Sofia dove for her notes and then was nodding. “This is Grand Marnier. Not kid friendly.”

Dani took a cookie. “It’s pretty, I hope they’ll be willing to do custom colors.” She took a bit and the cookie crumbled. She was dearly disappointed.

Those desserts were quickly cleared and the next caterer came in. “Hi, I’m Marcel Fournier, co-owner of 2 Chefs, we brought some hors d’oeuvres we thought would please both kids and adults along with the menu preliminarily chosen by the blessed couple.” He smiled at us, the first to do so. The sample hors d’oeuvres were set upon a lazy suzan they put on the table. “Before I forget, we also brought 2 sample non-alcoholic drinks that are popular with those who have chosen us in the past.” They brought our sample plates and drinks and again with a smile, left.

I chuckled. “I haven’t had a bite and already I’m impressed. This looks very kid friendly and adult pleasing.” I took a bit of the Baby Spinach and Romaine Salad and almost moaned aloud. I could taste that this would be an adult hit, forget the noises I was hearing.

Sofia took a California Roll from the center platter. “Oh it’s at the right temperature.” She bit into it and smile. After swallowing she continued. “Some of the best sushi I’ve had.” Max took one and soon had the look of a very happy man go across his face. He gave a thumbs up.

I rated 2 Chefs very high. They’d exceeded my expectations. From the short writing session it seemed I was not alone. As we wrote, the second bakery Baking and came in. “Hello we are from Three C Baking and Company. Thank you for the consideration.” Their cookies were ok but they didn’t wow me.

Lucie put her fork down. “It’s okay, I could make better.” Max and I looked at her with twin looks of ‘oh hell no!” on our face. She held up a hand. “Could does not mean will.” I could breathe again.

The next caterer was FINO. They said that but nothing else. Afterward I wrote down, too fancy and unfriendly. It summed up the meal well for me. Then I added, mother would love it.

The final bakery came in pushing a cart. “Hello, I am Cynthia De Santis owner of Joli Gateau. I’m not exactly sure why I was asked here, I just hope you enjoy my wares.” She set two platters down on the table. “If I get chosen and you want any changes just let me know.”

I took a bite and the deep chocolate flavor melted in my mouth. I closed my eyes and savored it. Max moaned a bit. “Holy cow! This is a great cupcake.” I nodded vigorously.

“Try the sugar cookie. Oh my god this…” Moni seemed in heaven. I took a bite and figured out why. It tasted like Gran’s.

“Mmmmm, talk about a blast from the past.” I reveled in the taste, just enough balance of butter and sugar.

Sofia sighed. “This cupcake is the best today. I see why Marjie said to talk to her.”

Max grinned. “I think we found our baker.” Everyone nodded as we devoured her platters. I made a note to get a cake by her for Max’s Birthday a few days before the wedding. I also made note to talk to her about having the cookies in the kids’ colors.

The last caterer came in. “We hope you aren’t too full to enjoy our menu. We’re Solly’s for those who don’t know.” This was the first company to insist on having a soup course. It wasn’t bad soup but I could see it being spilled. The meal tasted good but unlike the first two there wasn’t too many kid friendly items.

When we checked our comments it was clear that Joli Gateau has won the desserts. We were split on 8 Catering and 2 Chefs so we began talking about them with Max. “8 was good but 2 Chefs was more kid friendly.”

There were a few nods around the table. I spoke next. “I’m delighted that 2 Chefs went beyond and showed off their hors d’oeuvres and non-alcoholic drinks. I liked 8’s 2 entrees though.”

Moni spoke up next. “You’re mother won’t like that this is all semi-formal, we both know this. However, all of your siblings will possibly like that you thought of your niece and nephews.”

Max laughed. “She loves all the kids we’re having with us, even her new niece and nephew.”

“Speaking of, I’d like to get the kids a special memento. I was thinking maybe some Kleen Kanteens. They’ve got stuff for both older ones and younger ones. I’ve got a pattern for a carry bag that I can make.” I said, hopeful that Max liked the idea.

Dani brightened. “That’s a great idea, you can personalize the carriers!” Max smiled, we already were going to be giving bottles of wine to the adults. So far I had no idea what we were going to do for our attendants, but Dani might have given me an idea.

Lucie sigh. “I liked 8 better but you’re all right. 2 Chefs is better for the kids. It also sounds like you are sure her mother will not like their offering. Is this right?”

I nodded while I rubbed my belly, the kids were moving. “My mom is very… concerned with how she’s seen by others. My sister can be too but my brother in law helps her be less so. Having special gifts for the kids and a menu that’s kid friendly will make her ignore it all. If Kevin is happy, Angela is happy.” Lucie nodded with understanding.

Moni sighed. “Our family is really screwed up in some ways. It sounds like 2 Chefs and Joli Gateau are our winners.” I sighed and nodded, under the table Max squeezed my hand.

Sofia smiled and went to inform our chosen people. I felt lighter, we had food and dessert. I leaned into Max a little and felt him kiss my head. He whispered in my ear. “I’m working on our music like we talked about. It’s all coming together.”

I sighed and remembered what Danny said earlier. “We need to get things for the kids just in case at home. I don’t want to be caught unprepared. I kind of want to paint their rooms here too.” I’d been thinking about it. “I want them to have a wall that’s chalkboard so they have 1 wall in their room that they _can draw on.”

Max smiled. “We can have an artist do a chalk mural if we go that route. Chalk might be easier than anything else. We could even do a wall, say by the stairs in the foyer, the same way for the same reason.”

Sofia and our chosen baker and caterer came back in. “Ok, let’s all sit and hammer this out.”

Cynthia spoke up. “Does anyone mind if we do mine first? I’ve got to get back to the shop.”

I pulled my notes to the top of the table. “Fine by me. I’m gonna start by saying that yours was the best cupcake I’d had in a long time. Your sugar cookies reminded me of my Gran’s too.” She blushed. “The cookies are to celebrate our kids’ baptism, as you can see they aren’t quite here yet. I’d love it if we could make the writing on the cookies in green and purple.”

Cynthia smiled. “Easily. I’ll give you my card so we can finalize names and such when they get here. What about the cake?”

Max pulled out his phone. “We don’t want a traditional cake for this, which is why we asked for cupcakes. You don’t even need to do a cake to save for our first anniversary. We’ve got this dessert stand.” He showed her and she smiled. “We want to display them there.”

“Chocolate and buttercream is perfect. Our colors are navy and silver so if they can be baked in the silver cupcake liners we’ll supply navy wrappers for the outside. A simple navy and silver flower on top and they’d be perfect.” My motto right now was simple is best, it worked well for me.
Cynthia’s smile broadened. “So simple is better. I can understand why. I’d love to see those wrappers if you have something in mind.” I showed her the sample I had gotten. “Oh these are lovely. This gives me a good idea for the top. A small navy flower with a silver center.” Max laughed and showed her the sample idea we had, just what she had described. “You say you don’t want a cake and that’s fine, but how would you feel about 2 large cupcakes for yourselves?” We looked at each other and grinned. That would be the perfect top to our “cake”. We all agreed and signed a preliminary contract. I would be talking to her via email as Max would be busy with the season.

She left and Marcel chuckled. “You know what you want, this is good.” He spread out some papers he had with him. “I brought our normal wedding package paperwork so we could finalize things if need be.” I picked up a sheet and looked at it. Trust me to get the one with all the booze on it.

I looked at him and then the rest. “Well why don’t we start with what I have in my hands, drinks. We’re going to just have wine and beer for those who want it but for the rest of us. I really liked the raspberry one. Maybe it was me but it had more pizzaz than the apple one.”

Everyone agreed. Marcel nodded and wrote it down. “Most of our meals are portioned to serve 50 guests. I know your list is smaller so I wonder if you want to cut things back or not.”

Max laughed. “Three of us play hockey professionally then there’s my rec league brothers. We may want to increase the food.” I smacked him.

“Don’t even joke about how much you can put away. It’s still the middle of the season.” He laughed.

“Babe we’ve got 30 people and those helping us. Plus we need to have a safe spot for Grand-pere Paul-Émile.” Max had been so worried when his grandfather disappeared. “Maman, didn’t you say he did better when he’d been to the place before. Should we have him over before the wedding?”

Lucia sighed. “Maxime, trust that we will keep track of him when the day comes. We already had a plan to get him accustomed to your home before you two get married.”

We managed to get back on track and get our menu settled including having plenty of the drink I like which I found out was the Raspberry Sparkler. We wrapped this meeting up and took Max with us back home.

We talked about what we wanted to do for painting the kids’ rooms. The chalkboard wall was a go for sure. We had even decided which wall would get it, the one you could see from the doorway on both rooms. The rest would be a single color so that we had a background for the kids to grow with. Frank had the idea of painting the loft spaces above the kids’ rooms with a lighter shade than the rest of their room, to make it feel the same but different. Not that we would be letting the kids climb the ladders anytime soon but it was a good idea. We managed to make the compromise that for now we would leave them white and when the kids were old enough to make decisions like that they’d have a say in the idea.

While Frank ran to get some paint sample chips, the rest of us cooked dinner or set up the second crib. In fact I was the only one not busy when the doorbell rang. I levered myself up and answered it. “Danny, come in!” He brought with him a few guys from the Flyers as well.

“I texted Max to see if we could come over. Did he not tell you?” They were all concerned now.

I heard someone on the stairs and Max confirmed what I suspected. “Nope, I wanted it to be a surprise. Come on in, welcome to our summer place.” We all went into the family room. I got tucked back into my spot and the guys spread out through the room.

It didn’t take long for them to want a tour, Max gave it cause I didn’t want to move. Danny stayed with me. “I got you something for the babies.” He handed me a small package. Inside were 2 newborn hats for the hospital. They were traditional boy and girl colors but they each had a matching crown with either prince or princess on it. “I know they aren’t the colors you’re using for them but it’s something small to start them being their own people.”

I smiled. “Thank you Danny. I’ll put these in my go bag when we get home.” I tucked them nest to me and hugged him as best I could.

“So, what is so special that is happening in February?” Danny said with a sparkle in hie eye.

I blushed. “We’re getting married on Valentine’s Day. The kids will be baptized right after. We’re getting everything squared away that we can before they get here.”

The front door opened and Frank came in with 2 other gentlemen. “Jass, Max? You have guests!” His voice sounded a bit off so with Danny’s help I got up again and wandered towards the door. Frank sighed in relief when he saw me. “Jass, these are Their Eminencies Bishop Lionel Gendron, Bishop Louis Dicaire and Bishop Jacques Berthelet not forgetting Father Marc Mignault our priest as well.”

3 Bishops and the Priest, oh boy. I could handle this. “Gentlemen please come in.” As they did I turned to Father Marc and spoke. “Father Marc I thought we were meeting tomorrow to go over everything, am I remembering wrong?”

He patted my arm. “No my dear, when the Bishops got wind of what you wanted to do they were concerned. Even after seeing all of the proper documentation. They just have some questions.”

Max came down, saw who was here and promptly ushered the guys out with. “Tell Lavy I’ll be back as soon as I can. No giving me anything over this either.” Fortunately Claude and Danny backed him up and they left without a fuss. “Can I get anyone anything?” He asked as he came in, I could tell he was flustered. I held up my empty glass and he took it with a kiss on my head. “Of course love.”

Soon we were answering questions about how we met and how seriously we were truly taking getting married. I sighed and asked Max to grab the binder. He did and I showed them the mock up we had done of our invitations. On them it clearly stated that we were uniting in faith and love in a marriage and baptism ceremony. “Gentlemen, we understand that this is not a normal way to get both of these done, but we truly want to do them both here and as soon as we can. Can any of you think of a better way to celebrate St. Valentine’s Day then to unite a family in faith and with love?” None of them had a good answer for that.

In the end Father Marc, Max and myself moved to the den to talk about the ceremony itself. He was about to leave us with some papers to look at for readings and such when he asked a question. “How good of a Catholic are you two really?”

I felt Max tense. “Father Marc due to his schedule Max doesn’t get to make it to Mass very often, but when he does he’s a full participant. Surely this summer made you see that. Personally I make it 3 out of 4 Sundays and every Holy Day I can. We could both be better, but do we the best we can.” Max leaned over and kissed my temple.

Father Marc nodded. “You did make it most every Sunday you were in town and the Holy Days as well. I’m sorry for asking but having known you for such a short time, I hope you can understand.”

We stood and were now walking out. “Of course.” Max said. “We will have our chosen readings and such back to you as soon as we can. I do have the music if you would like to approve it.” We got back into the family room and Max put on the first peice. “I was thinking this for our attendants and parents to come in to.” He pushed play and Vivaldi’s “Winter” Violin concerto filled the room.

This was the first time I had heard any of the music. As I listened I could see it happening. When it ended Max pushed pause. “For Jassmine coming down the aisle I found this. It reminds me of her in a lot of ways.” Handel filled the room. It took me a minute to recognize that it was Water Music. As I listened I felt the kids slowing their movements. I knew they liked classical music, it seemed they approved too. Then Max smiled as it ended. “I couldn’t think of a better way to celebrate with the Recessional than to book end the wedding with another Vivaldi piece. Spring from Four Seasons filled the air. I couldn’t help but smile. Max had found the perfect groupings for some very important parts of our ceremony.

Father Marc listened with his eyes closed, thoroughly enjoying the music. “My son, these pieces will be a wonderful addition to the ceremony. In fact you could just keep Spring going through the baptism as it too should be celebrated and that’s a joyful piece.” They took their leave shortly after and Max just let the music play through dinner. I love every piece he’d chosen so far. I knew I had been right to let him do this part without input from me.

We found the right colors for the kids’ rooms while we listened. He’d chosen the right balance of sappy and serious love songs. When we got to the last song he had so far, he paused it. “This one is going to be a surprise, it’s for the Father/Daughter Dance and yes I do intend to dance with our little girl too.”

Will and Frank made plans to come over after we left and paint the rooms for us. Max had seen everything we had gotten and went and got the second set. So we could separate them without having to wait, or so he said. I think he just wanted to see both rooms ready and waiting.

We didn’t go to the game on Saturday as we were in the house wading through all sorts of materials to decorate our living room with for the reception. We’d rent table and chairs but were going to decorate it all ourselves. We listened while the Flyers lost 4-1 to Montreal.

As I was relaxing in the bathtub Max called my phone. I’d taken to taking it everywhere with me just in case. “Hello love. Sorry about the game.”

“It is what it is, the season is young. You be safe going home, we should be back late Sunday night.” I heard the locker room behind him.

“I will, I’m enjoying a bath right now. God we have so much to do before the kids get here.” I was semi-panicking.

Max chuckled. “Don’t worry about it. We’ll get it done and our ceremonies will be great. If I have to I’ll get the guys to help me get it all together. We’ll be ready. In fact you were worried about not being ready so why don’t you get the little stuff we know we want and didn’t put on any kind of list this week. This way we’ll have it just in case.” I felt he was humoring me but didn’t argue it. “I’ve got to go hon, Je t'aime and I’ll see you in a couple days.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Spa Ovarium. It just looks so relaxing!

My Pinterest Board for all things Wedding/Baptism! I'm adding stuff as I find it.

The Infant Hats given to her by Danny.