To Philly With Care

Meeting The Girls

I screamed and hit the steering wheel as I hit traffic heading for Wells Fargo Center. Thanks to my lovely family I was running late. Today had been the mid-month board meeting and so I was already in a fine mood. Add on top of that my delightful older brother decided that he needed to speak to me about “the Vanderthorpe problem”. I kept trying to get out of the conversation and finally had to tell him that what was going on was _not_ his business and that even I was keeping my nose out of it. “Now it’s not that I don’t care about you, but you’ve made me late for something _else_ that is very important to me.”

He casually dismissed me. “Oh yes, that hockey thing you like so much. How barbaric.” Could you tell that my brother thought he was above everything and everyone?

“No, actually you’re making me late for meeting my boyfriend who was going to introduce me to some _other_ important people for the team.” Yeah I said the B word, it shocked my family as I left. It wasn’t a lie either. Max and I had spent the last 3 days almost entirely inseparable. Was it moving fast, yeah probably even too fast but we had talked for most of those 3 days. I had even spoken to his brothers on the phone. Mostly because they didn’t believe him that he was having a conversation with a woman that he hadn’t slept with yet. Yeah, you read that right.

I pulled into the family parking and put my new hanger in my car. All the significant others got them; they were to show that we really did belong where we were parked. Max swore up and down that I would love ‘The Girls’, as he put it and now I was very late in meeting them before the game. I _had_ sent Max a text message saying that I was running late after the board meeting broke up, before my brother waylaid me. I hope he understood.

I walked through the halls of the arena, not 100% sure of where I needed to be going. I was the new girl so hardly anyone knew me yet. Then I saw Ryanne. “Ryanne!” I said loudly. She turned and her face lit up when she saw me.

“Jassmine. Max said you were running late, he wasn’t lying. What’s got you running like mad for the game?” She asked as I joined her.

I groaned. “I had a board meeting today and of _course_ the one day I need it to end on time it doesn’t. _Then_ my older brother wanted to talk to me about one of the kids. I finally had to tell them I was meeting my boyfriend and had to leave. My family looked shocked as I left.” I was feeling in a better mood now that I was where I was supposed to be, which must have showed as Ryanne was smiling at me.

“So you and Max have really hit it off huh? That’s good, we were wondering if he would _ever find someone who didn’t care about who he is.” We were getting closer to one of the elevators to go up to the suite level. “The girls and kids already went up to the family suite. Don’t be surprised if some of them are stand-off-ish. Some of the girls had been trying to set Max up with one of their friends and he’s told them no repeatedly.” It was then that she looked me up and down. “You really didn’t take time to change did you?”

I chuckled. “No, I didn’t. I hate being late and I hate even more when it’s my family that makes me late. My original plan was to go home and change but that went out the window. Hopefully they’ll all understand.”

Ryanne smiled as the elevator opened. “They will, at least those who truly matter will. The petty ones will bitch that you aren’t really a WAG so you shouldn’t be with us. The rest of us think that if you can enamor the most eligible bachelor on the team, you belong.”

We were now standing in front of a door that had a sign saying ‘Family Room’ on it. It was too late to back out now. Ryanne opened the door and went inside. “I found her!” She called out. “Turns out Max wasn’t pulling our leg, she really _did_ have a meeting that ran long.”

I came in with an apologetic smile on my face. “Trust me if I could have cut it short I would have. We had too much business on the agenda today.” Ryanne was right, most of the room had smiles on their faces as they turned to get a look at me. The rest looked down right pissed I was here.

As I came further into the room a little blonde girl who seemed surprised tackled me. She looked up at me with the big blue eyes she had and her jaw dropped. Her mother came over and before the girl could utter anything was checking her. “Are you ok Ava? Were you not watching?”

Ryanne leaned over. “This is Johanna and Ava Timonen, their other daughter Ella and son Samuel are out watching warm ups.” I nodded, I would normally be watching warm ups too.

Johanna stood and held Ava’s hand. “I’m so sorry are you alright?”

I smiled. “I’m fine, just a little startled is all. It’s not everyday I have someone smaller than me run into me.” I knelt down to Ava’s level. “I’m sorry I was in your way. I hope you aren’t hurt.” She shook her head and clung to her mother. “Good.” I held out my hand. “I’m Jass, did I hear right that your Papa is on the ice tonight?” I watched as she nodded and came out form behind her mom. “That’s great, would you like to point him out to me?” She nodded furiously, took my hand and pulled me out onto the balcony where a lot of the other kids were already.

The oldest turned as we came out. “Hey Ava, your dad’s on the ice, come see.” She went over, tugging me the whole way. The boy then looked at me oddly. “Who are you?”

I smiled and chuckled. “I’m Jass, I’m dating Max. And you are?” It was a pointed thing to say, reminding him of his manners, but I did it anyway.

He at least had the wherewithal to blush. “I’m Caelan. That’s Carson and Cameron, my brothers. This is Cam and Cole, Knoobs’ boys. You’ve met Ava, her siblings are Sam and Ella. Bryz has 2 kids too but they aren’t here tonight. Rusty has step-kids but they’re all _way_ older.” He looked at how I was dressed and asked. “You don’t look like you know a lot about hockey. What do you do?”

I took off my jacket and laid it across the back of a chair. “I do a lot of things actually but what I love doing is running Bastion de le Securities.” That had all three Briere boys turning and looking at me. “Yes I do know who you are and I can’t wait to show you guys around tomorrow. Your dad said that you guys were looking forward to it too.” That had them all clustering around me, asking what happened. “Well it’s a place for teens when they either have run away from home or need help for something that they can’t get at home. We help them to learn how to care for themselves and where they are living so that when they either leave us or graduate they can do so and not end up on the streets.” I answered the questions they had about Bastion in return for help with hockey knowledge during the game. They readily agreed.

I had so much fun talking with the kids that I didn’t notice that some of the girls were listening in. Until that is, Melanie asked her own question. “So if that’s your favorite place, what else do you do?”

It caught me off guard but I was able to answer after a second. “Well actually, I’m the CEO for the entire Richard Foundation. I have a Bachelor’s Degree in Business Management and was actually trained by my Grandmother for what I’m doing. The Foundation does a lot more than just have Bastion we help a lot of other organizations as well.”

“So if the Foundation does so well do you really _have_ to work?” Johanna asked as some of the girls came out to ask me questions.

“Truth be told, no I don’t have to work at all, I _want_ to work. I own 6 buildings in Philly one of which I actually live in, not that the other tenants know I _do_ keep a low profile. And before you ask, yeah I could live anywhere I choose to live near Bastion so just in case they need me, it’s under 20 minutes for me to get there, even in the heaviest traffic.” We saw the lights go dim and the announcer started introducing the guys. All of the girls moved out to stand for the anthem. It was only good manners.

Once the puck dropped nothing could have torn me away from the boys and the game. I already knew the bare basics of the game thanks to Dani, now I needed questions answered by someone who knew more than we did, they boys were perfect. They got to be know it alls and have an adult listen to them.

Now that isn’t to say I didn’t talk to the girls as we made sure everyone had a snack and dinner, I just did that during the intermissions. Debbie Fedotenko came over and sat with me during the first intermission. “You’re incredibly good with these kids. You don’t have any yourself do you?”

I coughed as I was drinking when she asked. “No, no I don’t, just the kids at Bastion. We have a full staff of trained counselors but sometimes they need someone to listen without judging them. I try and set aside some time to do that, it makes them understand that yes I do care and they are important. You’d be surprised how often that little thing, helps the teen adjust to our rules.”

By now I had moved into the suite again and Carolyn, Danny’s Girlfriend had joined our conversation. “I think it’s great that someone _local cares so much about our teen population. I _really_ am happy that the boys will get to see how the other half really lives too.”

I smiled. “I’m happy to have anyone who wants to come down and see how we run. Even over night if you want, but if you are bringing the kids with you, please make sure the next day isn’t a school day.”

Melanie looked at me. “You really mean that. You have to be _very_ proud of Bastion to want to show it off to everyone.”

I chuckled. “We do a lot of good that no one really knows about. Yeah I’m proud of it, I’m proud that something that I do directly makes the lives of others better.”

During the second period Steve Ott went after Max for something I missed. The entire crowd was on their feet as hey went head to head throwing punches. I was standing too, my eyes locked on the fight my _very_ new boyfriend was currently in. I’d seen this before, I knew he could handle himself but it didn’t stop me from breathing really shallowly until the refs pulled them apart. When they were done, Max had a cut above his eye and was sent to the box with a towel.

Melanie came over and put a hand on my shoulder. She didn’t say anything until I turned to face her. “Good job of not freaking out. Most of the new ones do when they see that for the first time.”

I laughed. “I can’t do anything about it when it happens but I can help him feel better after the game.” She smiled and nodded, I saw over her shoulder a few of the others who had come close to help just in case were also nodding.

I went back into the suite and the girls who had been around longer seemed amazed at how I was handling this. “How can you be so calm about this? Your man just got bloodied in a fight and you aren’t even upset.”

I laughed; I couldn’t help it. “You don’t get it do you? This isn’t my first Max fight, only the first one where I’m his girlfriend. Why should I get upset because he’s doing part of his job? The only reason I wasn’t cheering him on is because I’m not _just_ a fan anymore. I have a deeper vested interest now in him not being hurt, but I can’t let him stop doing his job, especially with how much he loves it.”

One of the little girls scoffed at me. “He should just dump you and find someone who knows nothing about hockey.” I could hardly believe the reaction she got from everyone else. Everyone else yelled her at but her little clique of friends. Everything from ‘How dare you’ to ‘Maybe Zac should dump _you_’. It was amazing to see how fiercely they defended me while I was so new.

After the game I helped take kids to the family room underneath the arena. I noticed that most of the wives and serious girlfriends helped each other without question and they were treating me the same way. Of course I had no issues with helping out, they were good people who welcomed me without hesitation.

I laid Ava on my shoulder while I sat down on the couch, she was dead to the world. Johanna sat next to me with Samuel on her shoulder. Slowly the boys started coming out into the family room looking for everyone. I saw Danny come out and greet Carolyn and his boys; I waved. He came over and chuckled. “How did you get roped into t’is?”

That surprised me. “I wasn’t roped into it, I asked if and how I could help. Nothing wrong with helping out when it’s needed.” Danny smiled and shook his head.

“You are going to be _so_ good for him. I ‘ope ‘e realizes how lucky ‘e is.” He leaned over and kissed my cheek. “Welcome to the madhouse.”

I giggled and blushed. If Danny was welcoming me, it meant something. Johanna raised a hand and her husband came over and saw us covered in their kids. “Here, let me take her. Thank you for helping get them all down here.”

I started to say something but then Max came out of the curtains. “You _did_ make it!” He sounded so happy, not that he didn’t have a reason after the 5-1 win they just had gotten. Kimmo just shook his head and gently took Ava from my shoulder. Max gathered my hand to him after I stood up and placed a kiss on it.

“She’s a good fit Max. The kids all loved that they knew more about the game than she did and she listened to them when they explained things. She also didn’t even blink when one of the young bunnies said you needed to find someone who didn’t know hockey.” Johanna was telling things I’d almost rather not have him know right here.

Max just smiled, even with his 4 stitches and growing black eye. “She’s incredible. Goes with the flow with so much, I’m glad she hit it off with most of you.”

Ryanne came over while waiting for Claude. “She was a hit Max, didn’t hesitate jumping in even still in her work wear. Didn’t even flinch at your fight, damned Ott.”

I shook my head, I knew a little about Steve Ott, mostly his reputation. “I think he would have gone after anyone, Sabres were clearly frustrated.” Max and I said our good byes and made our way out to the parking lot. “I’m sorry I was late.”

“Babe, don’t worry about it. You did what I hoped you would, you won them over.” He stopped us and pulled me closer. “I’m thrilled that they like you. I know we’ve moved really fast but you have made every second a wonderful one.” He leaned over and kissed me tenderly. Pulling back he smiled more. “Now let’s go get some food and then some sleep.” We went to my car and got in. We’d already made reservations at a spot close to my place. We’d spent so much time in Max’s place that I felt it was only fair I do the same for him with mine.

After dinner we were on my couch making out. Max pulled away from me with a slight groan. “I don’t to do anything without you being completely on board for it.”

I felt my eye widen. Did he think I was a virgin? Time to set him straight on that post-haste. “Maxime, je ne suis pas une vierge. Je suis bien conscient de l'endroit où nous nous dirigeons et entièrement à bord de ce plan. Maintenant, tais-toi. Nous allons à l'étage et faire l'amour. (Maxime, I'm not a virgin. I am well aware of where we are heading and fully on board that plane. Now, shut up. We go upstairs and make love.)” I stood up, pulling him with me, and then headed up to my bedroom. From there the night went exactly how I planned.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes I'm moving this forward so I can have more fun with it. Hopefully I'll be able to answer the questions I'm sure this chapter will bring up for you all.

Jass's Suit is here. Poor girl went to a hockey game in it. Must be love...