Status: Feedback is most welcom :)

Taking a Chance

Encouragment Over Coffee

The day your parents moved house was the day you felt your world ending. You were leaving behind friends that you didn't want to replace or forget and you were leaving your home for something completely new. Your parents had decided it was a good idea to try and get your older brother away from the people who influenced him, the gang he would do anything for. Bobby had been getting in more and more trouble with the police and the neighbours hated him. It hadn't been the first time someone had woke to their car being completely trashed or their home's spray painted. But Bobby's refusal to behave only escalated every time your parents tried to help him.

You had met Jeremy on your third day of moving into the neighbourhood. You had been sitting on the porch being completely miserable and he asked you if you wanted to play some ball. He was a shy kid, didn't like getting into any confrontations, but underneath his calm exterior he could take on the bigger and meaner kids. As usual, Bobby didn't like him or anyone else you befriended. Jeremy and his friends showed you around town, pointing out the local entertainment. It wasn't what you were used to, but you enjoyed the feeling of the close-knit community.
You were fourteen when you befriended Jeremy and your parents, his included and half the town assumed it was a case of puppy love. How wrong could they be.

You both grew into strong willed teenagers and told each other absolutely everything. He would tell you what girls he liked and you would tell him which boys you liked and disliked. You were inseparable from each other and were practically joined at the hip and it wasn't until Bobby got sent to juvenile prison for three and a half years, your parents decided to separate. The break-up was hard mostly because your parents used you and Bobby as weapons against each other, critically hurting each other. You ran off and stayed with the Renner's for almost a week, his mother urging her to go back and make amends. You did and ended up being asked in court who you would rather live with. You told the judge you didn't want to live with either of them. This sparked some serious confrontation between your parents and while they argued, you got on with things.

***

By two o'clock you feel like crying. Your feet are screaming at you to sit down and take the weight off, but as usual there's too much to do. There are two photo albums to be finished and due for pick up tomorrow afternoon and you still need to develop the negatives from yesterdays wedding. Michelle should have been here to help, but she had called you early this morning to say she wasn't going to make it in at all, which meant an extra work load for you.
Your stomach rumbles and you remember that you haven't eaten from the previous night. A toasted sandwich or any kind of sandwich sounds good to you right now, but you don't have time to stop for lunch.

You grab your phone that is dancing across the table and you are surprised that it's from Jeremy. He is texting back after you sent him your number before going to bed.

Coffee? J

You look around your workspace and decide that it can all wait until you get back. You deserve a break, even if it's only for half an hour.

Your fingers dance over the keyboard in reply and you feel as if the day has suddenly gotten brighter.

*****

The coffee shop is a secluded little place on Torrent avenue, a place you had never been to or even heard of before today, but as you walk in you like the welcoming atmosphere. The walls are varying shades of coffee and terracotta, mocha leather sofa's sit around glass coffee tables, a few animal print throws here and there. You admire the contemporary canvases that give the room just the right amount of colour, the lights bright.

You spot him sitting at a table at the far end of the room, the collar of his coat concealing his face, the black skip cap pulled low over his eyes. He's nursing a coffee and gazing out the window. You approach him and he feels your presence.

"Hi" he says warmly as you take the seat across from him."How's your day been?"

"It's been hectic"You admit. The waitress takes your orders and disappears into the back."I'm glad you suggested this. I needed the break"

"Good. You look a bit stressed" he says. You know you could probably look a lot better.

"I've just got so much to do and not enough time to do it in" you reply, slightly frustrated at the workload."Normally it's not too bad, but I'm on my own today. My business partner called in sick"

"That sucks." He agrees."I meant to say that last night you looked beautiful."

You blush slightly at the compliment and is grateful when the waitress brings over your coffees, giving you some breathing space. The conversation shifts to the shared memories of your childhood's, climbing trees and fooling around like kids do.

"So, why L.A?" Jeremy asks, stirring in some sugar to his third coffee.

"Honestly?" You reply a little quieter than you would have normally."I needed to get away. Things weren't great in our family"

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked" he says apologetically.

"It's fine" you say "Our family were going through a lot at the time and my parents wanted me to go to law school or become a doctor. I wanted to be a photographer. I wanted...I still want to travel the world."

"Do you see much of your folks?" He asks softly and you shake your head.

You have told him the shortened version of events, missing out how Bobby went to prison and how you were practically being railroaded into a career of your parents choice.

"Not much" you reply and that's the way you like it."Dad left after a while and moved to Spain. Mom, well she gets by"

"Your parents were nice people. Honest. They wanted what was best for you. I guess we are both lucky that way"

You agree with him completely. Your mom and dad were good people, they just went about things the wrong way. Instead of supporting your decision to go to university to study photography, they blew you out and part of you won't ever be able to forgive them for it.

"If you love what you do then it's half the battle" he says"At least that's what I tell myself when I'm working"

"Still, it gets hard when everyone tries to prove you wrong" you sigh."Anyway, this has been nice."

"I'm kinda hoping you prove them all wrong. You've got talent and passion. That's all you need"