Status: Feedback is most welcom :)

Taking a Chance

"I know you're lying"

As expected you were bombarded with questions by Michelle. She wanted to know who the hot guy was and why you hadn't mentioned him before. Your explanation had been simple; he's an old friend and you aren't going to get your claws into him, but you did leave out the part of you once having a crush on him. Somehow, that crush feeling was slowly coming back and there were reasons why you didn't act on them years ago. He's a friend, that's it. You know you aren't convincing yourself.

***
It's a lovely morning, a Saturday and your day off. You couldn't have wished for better timing. You had stayed in bed until eleven, checked your emails and stalked around facebook. Most of your friends are in serious relationships and have kids and as you read their posts, you feel alone. A sudden sadness overwhelm's you and you realise that this is exactly what your mother was trying to warn you about. Moving away, another bad relationship and you end up alone because you can't bare to put yourself back out there. You don't want to think about it. You don't want to believe that your mom was once again right.

Your afternoon is spent lazily watching girly movies, romances that are known to make every woman in existence cry at the fairytale relationships. Dinner had been a pizza that cooks in the microwave and desert had been an extra big bar of chocolate. You sniffle as the actors and actress on screen finally seem to get it together. It looks so beautiful, standing on a golden beach as the sun goes down, looking into your man's eyes and kissing him for the first time. It's romantic and classy and definitely appealing. Maybe your mom is right, maybe you do need to find a good man.

Bon Jovi's Living On A Prayer disturbs your television viewing. You look at caller I.D and you try to compose yourself.

"Hi, Jeremy. How's New York?" You say.

"Hey. Are you okay? You sound like you're upset" His voice on the other end is full of concern, soft.

"I'm fine" you lie "Just watching a girly movie. Tell me about New York?"

"It's alright. This schedule's draining. Make's me glad I'm flying back to L.A tomorrow. Are you sure you're okay?"

"Honestly, I'm fine. Shouldn't you be out partying Big Apple style?"

You deliberately try to change the subject. Jeremy has always been an easy guy to talk to, even as kids and you don't want to spoil his trip or pour your heart out to him.

"I'm too old for partying"he chuckles.

"Sure you are. Isn't forty the new thirty?"

Jeremy is laughing on the other and you feel that little flutter expanding in your stomach.

"I guess so. I just called to see how you were doing. The photo's turned out great"

"Glad you're happy with them and I'm fine. Just overworked and using my day off to cry over a movie" You reply and wander into the kitchen, popping on the kettle.

"The only time I know anyone to cry over a movie is when something's wrong."He says softly."What's up, mama?"

You can feel the tears stinging your eyes again and you take a deep breath.

"Just girl stuff. I'm not going to bore you with. Guy problems"

"When I get back, how about I take you somewhere and put a smile back on that face of yours?" He says.
Your head starts to spin. A coffee is one thing, but a planned meeting is quite another. You know you're overreacting.

"We'll see." You reply in defeat.

"Good. It will be just like old times when some knuckle-head broke your heart. I'll kick his ass"

"Is that a promise?" You ask, laughing. You remember all those times Jeremy kicked a guy's ass cause he hurt you or humiliated you, the ultimate big brother.

"You know it. Are you sure you're okay, though?"

"Jeremy, I am fine. To be honest I'm glad you called. You certainly know how to cheer a girl up" You thank him. If he hadn't called you probably would have put your head in the oven and put on the gas.

"At least I'm good for one thing" he mumbles.

"What?" You ask.

"Nothing. Doesn't matter. I'm going to go and take a shower and I'll call you once I've booked into the hotel. And I know you're lying" he says and tells you goodnight before you have a chance to defend yourself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Don't you wish every guy was like this?