Status: Feedback is most welcom :)

Taking a Chance

A Friend For Dinner

The grocery store is, as always busy and you pray that you find everything you need and then you can go home. Grocery shopping is the one form of shopping you always tried to avoid, but survival weighed in and forced you to push around the cart with the broken wheel. You always seemed to end up with the broken cart and would religiously apologise to anyone whose heels you managed to clip.
You are convinced the cart has a mind of it's own as you turn into the fresh foods aisle, large boxes of fruits and vegetables on offer. You are here for two reasons; the first that this trip is needed as your fridge and cupboards are bare, and secondly, you are cooking for Jeremy.

The online recipes hadn't helped you in the slightest decide what to make, so here you are wandering around looking for some sort of inspiration. You could make a curry, but you don't know how hot he likes it and you like your curries fiery hot. You then think you could make a stew, but that sounds boring. Then you remember the barbecue glazed meatloaf. You mother used to make meatloaf and you were sure at the time it was a leather shoe, but a friend had suggested a glaze over the smoked bacon and it was a huge hit. You decide to make rustic potato wedges and a salad. All you need to do now is start cooking.

The meatloaf and potato wedges are in the oven, slowly cooking to perfection. Even though your cooking skills are more than adequate, you aren't going to let anything burn. You had decided to wear lightweight cut-offs and a vest top, nothing fancy. With a watchful eye you set the table, casual and simple. At ten to five, the doorbell goes and you feel your insides flip.

Your hand is on the door handle and you suck in a deep breath. You hope you look okay and the food tastes even better.

"Hi" You say brightly."Come on in"
Jeremy follows you into the mini-hallway and hands you a bottle of wine.

"I hope this goes with whatever you're making" he says, a shyness in his voice.

You take his coat and he follows you into the kitchen.

"It smells great" he says as he watches you chop salad ingredients.
"Trying to decide what to make wasn't easy and then I remember this meat loaf recipe. You'll love it"

"Even if I don't there's always the company to enjoy" He teases playfully. The way he's smiling at you is sending shivers up and down your spine. He's standing so close to you that you can smell his aftershave, even his shampoo.

"Trust me, the meatloaf's better than the company. There's beer in the fridge or water if you're driving"

"A beer sounds good. I walked over anyway. Do you need some help?"

You're head is in the oven checking the meatloaf when he asks this.

"I've got everything under control" You reply confidently."Make yourself useful and open the wine"

Jeremy does as he's told as you slice the meatloaf into quite thick pieces. You drizzle the juices and glaze the meat and give him a more generous sized portion of the wedges. For once you are glad that your make-shift dinning area is in the open-plan kitchen, making it easier to move around.

You sit down and watch as he takes his first bite of the meatloaf, a dubious look on his face.

"And I thought that greasy burger was an instant orgasm" he says, chewing. You giggle.

"Is that supposed to be a compliment?" You ask and reach for your wine.

"If I knew you cooked like this I wouldn't have bothered eating before I came over" he says with a wink and you know he's joking.

"Keep talking smart guy and you won't get desert either" You reply evenly, like a mother would do in order for her kids to eat their vegetables.

"Desert?" He looks at you like you are about to give him a million dollars "I'm impressed"

"Don't get your hopes up. It's from the freezer" You say with a laugh.

"If it's sweet I'll eat it"

You both continue eating and talk between mouthfuls, savouring the conversation. It's been a while since you talked to anyone like this and it feels good, but you can't ignore the butterfly feeling in your stomach.

"When's your next day off?" He asks as he pours you a second glass of wine.

"Tomorrow. Thank God" you reply.
You move your legs underneath the table and accidentally nudge Jeremy's foot. "Sorry"

He's grinning.

"I didn't realise you wanted me to come over and play footsie." He grins."What you doing tomorrow since it's your day off?"

You're blushing and there's no way you can hide it. You feel like kicking him because he made an innocent remark that's made you go red.

"Normally I would be hungover after drinking a bottle of wine and watch romantic movies all day" You laugh "That sounds so pathetic"

Jeremy shakes his head and chuckles softly to himself.

"If I knew that I would have brought over more than a bottle of wine"

"If it's a strong drink you want I have a cupboard full of liquor" You announce and wish you hadn't. He's going to think you are some kind of alcoholic.

"Hmm" he ponders."Only if you join me"

"Alright, you've got yourself a deal"