Status: May be slow for a while; will definitely pick up though! ^-^

You're My Infinity

Let the Awkward Begin!

I felt a little odd as we walked back to the dinner, my Emilee close beside me. My hand was beside hers gently and I kept reaching out to hold her hand, but I kept refusing to actually grab her small little hand or intertwine her small fingers with mine. I could just sense she was slightly unused to this still, so I knew I might not want to rush her into anything – especially before going back to the dinner with my parents.

I was slightly unaware of anything going on around me as we took a slow walk back. I was more thinking about Taka and infinitum and all of the trouble that came from all of that… Taka had taken a certain liking to Emilee that I both liked and disliked at the same time – at least I knew they wouldn’t be fighting as sister-in-laws, but at that same point, I wasn’t too fond of sharing Emilee with anyone… even my sister. Taka’s likeness was usually a symbol of good fortune because she was a Pharisee of love and I knew that her approval was one that was valued. She had noticed my mark on Emilee’s back and had seemed quite pretentiously impressed by it. I knew that was a great sign for my Emilee and myself…

When we got to the double doors that led us to the dining room again, I turned to look at Emilee for a moment, taking her waist to turn her to me as well.

“My Emilee…” I told her softly, running a hand through her hair that had gotten a slight wave to it today. She looked beautiful. “Just don’t be nervous,” I whispered to her, giving her a kiss on her forehead while tracing my fingers over the mark on the back of my neck.

I wasn’t quite sure, but my words might have been actually to remind myself of it, not her necessarily. I knew she was overly eligible to be my bride, and even if my parents wanted to deny that, I was sure that they would have to give up the pretenses that always came from giving a human the secret of the Pharisee existence. If nothing more, they had to understand now that I was more than qualified to be the next Pharisee king; I had known what I wanted, made my own decision and just accomplished it – even if no one was going to be happy with this decision at the moment.

Emilee nodded her head softly though and I took a deep breath in, not letting it go because I was so nervous, and walked in with my chest puffed up as such. “Hello Mother, Hello Father.” I nodded to each of them with the slightest of a bow, hoping that Emilee would catch on.

My Emilee was just as smart as I had always imagined… She curtsied softly to each of my parents, though I could read it on her face that she wasn’t exactly happy about doing such. If nothing else, I was sure my parents would be impressed by this much.

I wrapped my arm around her hourglass shape, pulling her over to the table where my parents were sat at the ends of the table, facing each other. There were two chairs in the middle of the table on opposite sides and I knew that these were for us, so I pulled out the one chair and helped my Emilee into it before taking a seat across from her.

“Sorry for the delay.” I apologized pointedly at my father. Then I turned to Emilee, smiling at her lightly. “Emilee, this is my father, Amir, and my mother, Lila.”

My father bowed his head in a way that was showing his gratitude to the girl that I wanted as my bride, but I wasn’t so happy to see my mother’s reaction. My mother put a plastic smile onto her face, her lips stretching in a way that was too far fake to be genuine, and looked at Emilee pointedly with her eyes on a burning fire and an eyebrow raised – as if to ask Emilee what her game was in all of this. I think it was this moment that I knew something was going to go quite badly during this dinner, but I couldn’t pull out now…

As the first course was brought out to us, I kept my eyes between my food and the look on my mother’s face. I knew that she would be more trouble now than my Emilee was; she always did have a discriminatory way when it came to finding a bride for her “baby boy” as she always felt the need to call me.

“So Emilee,” my mother started with a clearing of her throat. We ate in silence for a few moments before that, but I knew that would only last as long as it would take for my mother to figure out which pattern of questions she would like to attack first. “How old are you?”
I had to admit I breathed out a sigh of relief. That was better than the questions that I had been expecting her to ask, and I looked up at my Emilee, nodding in a way to show her that it was an okay time to answer.

“Um, I’m sixteen,” she answered and I smiled at her. I was happy to have her all to myself and she was quite eligible as a sixteen year old.

“Isn’t it a little young for you to marry?” My mother asked just as curiously. “I know you humans like to have your ‘rebel years’ and everything… I thought humans usually got married later.”

I rolled my eyes at my mother and gave her a warning glance, to which she only shrugged as if she didn’t know what she was doing wrong. I was quite certain she knew exactly what she was doing – since she was hell-bent on getting me away from anyone that wasn’t her ideal pick – and I raised my eyebrows in response to her faking ignorance. If she knew better, she would stop while she was ahead… I wasn’t losing my Emilee – not even to the Queen of the Pharisees: my mother.

Emilee handled it better than I had. She only shook her head in a ‘no’ and seemed to be owning her place as my bride – even if I was aware that she wasn’t quite so sure about filling that vacant position yet. “I’ve never went through a wild or rebellious phase,” she spoke in her sweet, melodic voice. Really, I had never heard any Pharisee that had a sweeter voice than this human. “I have a little sister, Annah, to take care of, so I was never one to tempt anything to risky.”

I smiled then. Desserts were being brought around during this time – since there had been a long time of silence and awkwardness while my parents seemed to try to settle with Emilee as my bride. I couldn’t be happier that things were going so well.

I reached my hand across the table, which was just narrow enough that I could reach without straining, and I pulled Emilee’s hand to mine. At first I had been leery about doing such things since I didn’t know how my parents might react, but they couldn’t stop us now…

“And how do we know she is going to be true to the Pharisees?” I heard my mother ask. I knew what was most likely coming next and I wasn’t exactly happy to hear about it.

“She will be, Mother,” I responded in a snappish way. I knew my Emilee wasn’t too thrilled about being mine just yet, but I also knew that she could be… I was going to show her all of the reasons that she should stay.

“But what if she doesn’t want to stay here? What if she is still loyal with the humans?!” My mother started to sound frantic, and I wished she wouldn’t. I knew my Emilee better than anyone else and she wouldn’t do that to me…

“Mother!” I scolded her and I could see the nervousness in Emilee’s eyes. “Thank you for dinner… Mother, Father, we will be in our room if you need us now! Come on, Emilee.”

I held my hand out for her and we went upstairs.

“Well, that was awkward…” Emilee remarked as we reached our room.

“Yes, I’m sorry that I had to put you through that…. Mother doesn’t really think that badly of you – she’s just testing you to be my Queen, don’t worry about it.” I kissed her on the forehead and held her close.

I wasn’t going to lose my Emilee… Not for anything, and we were going to prove my Mother wrong.