Status: Comment if you like it.

Rust & Dust

one/one.

"Grandma," my lovely young granddaughter says, "can you tell me about how Grandpa proposed?"

"You really would like to know, dear?" I ask as I pull the duvet to her chin and tuck her in.

She smiles, "Yes please."

"Okay," I start, sitting beside her little body on the bed, "It all happened a long time ago..."

"He was at the young age of eighteen and we were free flying birds. We did everything together and were inseparable. I was turning eighteen and that morning I stayed with my family. I unwrapped small gifts and large gifts. I said thank you and squealed in excitement. New clothes, new perfume and a wonderful new artist supply kit.

By the time the afternoon came around, everyone had already sang me a happy birthday and wished me all the best. My father, the hard man he is, did not approve of my boyfriend. My father saw him as a bum and a person without no values. I did not like my father then, I rebelled against him countless of times. But now I know that he was only protecting me and doing what was best.

My boyfriend came to the house and my father opened the door. I lit up when I saw him, he was my world. My mother saw me and looked towards the door - she understood how I felt about him. My father had told him to go and never to return. I was so hurt that my father would do that to me. My mother tried to reason with her husband, but he didn't let up and ended up closing the door on him.

Our family fought. I fought with my father, a lot, but this day - I rebelled right in front of him. I walked right out of the door and ran to the truck where my life was. He must have seen me in the rear view mirror and braked immediately. I caught up and jumped into the truck. I could hear my father calling, but I didn't care. I said drive and he did so with a grin.

He took me somewhere special. In the rays of sunshine, his truck had a golden layer of rust. It had a reddish tinge to it, also. I remember that tacky blue truck, always - like it was yesterday. He parked at the edge of the cliff as all of the red dust wolfed up into the sunset, he leaned over and gave me a long-awaited kiss.

It was short and sweet."

"Grandma?" Her small, petite voice asks.

I look down at her pools of grey, "Yes, dear?"

"Why did he give you a kiss?" I smile down at her confused face.

"Because he loved me, Madeline."

She nodded and I took that as the cue to continue.

"Then he got out of the truck and I followed him. He jumped up onto his rusty truck and patted the space beside him, looking at me with a cheeky smile, a smirk as some would call it. I told him that I would not go up there with a skirt on. He threw his head back and laughed, thinking it was the most funniest thing in the world. I sulked, I didn't like how he made fun of me.

But, he got to the side of the truck, leaned down and picked me up like I was some feather weight. I held onto him, being so close to the edge of the cliff gave me daymares. You know what daymares are, sweetie?"

She shook her head, "No, Grandma, I don't."

I smile, "They're like nightmares, but you get them in the day. And it's sort of like daydreaming."

Her eyes light up at something she understands, "I've had them before! They're scary."

I pat her arm lightly, "Exactly and this is what I felt like sitting on top of the truck so close to the cliff."

"But he held onto me tightly and I knew that he would never let go of me. I had laid my head onto his chest and my leg was comfortably resting between his. The sun was setting and it was beautiful. The harsh rays of orange and red, then outside was the calming colours, pink and blue. He said to me that he'd like to be with me forever. I asked him why.

He said: 'I love you, Anne-Marie. You are my universe and without my universe - I would simply not exist. I want to spend the rest of my life with you.' With that, he pulled out a small velvet box out of his pocket and handed it to me. 'Open it, my love' he said and I did so. A small gasp escapes my mouth and I could feel his heart pound against my ear. He was nervous. He was scared.

But with all those risks that I knew were going through his head, he said it. 'Annie-Marie, will you marry me and be with me till the end of time?' I smile, tears welled up in my eyes and I leaned away to look into those eyes - a mixture of green and golden hues. I told him yes in a small voice and his lips broke out in a wide grin. He was just as happy as he made me happy.

He wanted to marry me and to have him propose on my birthday, was amazing. We kissed, very passionately and I knew then, that I would always be safe and loved. The end."

I'm smiling with a tear in my eye. Little Madeline is smiling, but then she frowns, "How is that the end, Grandma? It can't be the end."

I look at her rosy pink cheeks and plump pale lips, "You will understand someday."

I press my lips to her cheek and say goodnight. As I go to turn the light off, "Grandma?" She asks. I turn around and nod, a silent cue to continue, "Where is Grandpa?"

I smile sadly, "In here, dear and forever will be."

I place my hand over my heart and she does the same. She smiles and turns onto her side, I switch off the light and shut the door to about halfway, so there is a little light. Like my mother used to always do when I was scared.

I walk down the hallway to my bedroom. I sit on my bed and reach underneath to grab out a box. The box is wooden and on the lid, a name in cursive font is carved, my name. I run my fingertips over the lettering. My love made this for me.

I open it up and gasp at the old tokens that I still remember where they came from, who they came from and how it happened. I pick out one certain picture. A picture of us, eighteen and free, playing in the park like little children. I smile and a tear escaped from my eyes.

I put it back and wipe away that tear. There's a few more pictures that I look at and then there's that velvet box and inside is that ring. I pick out the ring and slip it onto my finger. I push my hand out at a distance and study it against my skin. It looks beautiful.

I keep it on and put away the box. I lie down and rest my head onto my hand. I close my eyes and dream all of my wonderful memories. I am in a slumber now. I rest peacefully until my nightmare came back.

I watch as my father pulled me away from his tacky blue truck. He had found me, found where I was. Suddenly, the police had surrounded us and I was so confused. My father kept me safe and shielding me from his sight. I wanted to see him. I need to see him. And when I did, he was being handcuffed my an officer.

My father turned around and said, "I told you he's bad news. Stay away from him. You will never be allowed to see him ever again. I forbid it, Anne-Marie."

Tears welled up in my eyes as I watched them take him. My father asked the officer who handcuffed him to tell me why he is being arrested.

"Miss, this man is a felon. He's wanted for manslaughter." I shook my head, I didn't believe him. I wanted to be with him.

"See, Anne-Marie!? Do you finally understand? He could have killed you!" My father shouted and held onto my shoulders, roughly.

"No, no, no! Dad, he loves me!"

He growls, "He was-"

"Look!" I shout and show him the diamond on my finger. His eyes widen and stares at it.

Then he hardens, his face contorts and he came dangerously close to my face, "The felon will get what he deserves, Anne-Marie. The needle."

I gape at my father. I thought he would understand how much that man meant to me. Tears stream down my cheeks and I'm silent. I watch as they drive my love away. He looks out the back window with sad eyes but a happy smile. I knew what he meant.

"Don't worry," I mumble in my sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Entered in this contest.