Switched At Birth

1/3

-Jen's POV-

Today started off like any other Saturday. Get up, take a shower, get dressed and hang out with my boys. My dad had plans to meet up with his best friend and play catch up. Both of them were busy and didn't get to hang out very often. They were so close that my dad made him my godfather.They'd been friends for years.

I gave my father a hug and a kiss before I left and made my way to the spot. It was where we all hung out and did god knows what. Jimmy was usually the one that got into the most trouble and did it with a huge smile on his face. He was crazy but in a good way. He had a heart of gold and there wasn't anything he wouldn't do for one of us. We were all very protective of each other.

The day seemed to fly by and before I knew it I was on my way home with Jimmy and my boyfriend Brian beside me. We had been together for about a year but had been friends before that since we met in the eighth grade. We had planned on going to the beach but it had gotten chilly and I wanted to change into something warmer. Or at least slip on a pair of jeans underneath my dress.

When we got to my house I noticed a strange car in the driveway. I just figured it was some friend of my dad's so we made our way inside and we're about to head up to my room when my dad called me back. Walking into the living room I could tell just by the look on his face that something serious was going on.

"Sit down Jenna."

Without a word I sat down on the sofa with Brian and Jimmy sitting down on either side of me. My dad never seemed to mind that they were around and knew if it was serious that I would run to tell them anyway.

"What's wrong Daddy?"

He sighed and ran his finger through his hair completely avoiding eye contact with me. That alone told me that something was seriously wrong and he was having a hard time telling me about it.

"Whatever it is I can handle it." I said reassuringly even though I was scared to hear what it was.

I watched as he sat down on the coffee table in front of me and took hold of my hands. He gently rubbed my knuckles before looking up at me.

"Jenna, honey, you.." He paused and looked down at his feet. A single tear fell from his eyes. "When you were a baby.. I can't do this."

He quickly got up and walked over to the other side of the living room. I started to follow when I noticed other people in the room. A man, woman, and young girl who looked like she was my age. Sixteen.

"Hello Jenna." The woman said with a smile as she walked over to me. "My name is Allison and this is my husband Tony. We're your parents."

I just stared at her like she had two heads. She was obviously lying. She had to be. There was no way that I was her... daughter.

"I'm not your daughter." I said and felt a hand on my back. I didn't even need to look to know that it was Jimmy. Brian had already grabbed my hand and laced our fingers together.

"Yes sweetie you are." This Allison woman said with an even larger smile on her face.

I looked over to my dad who was sitting on the other could with his head in his hands.

"Daddy?"

He looked up at me and the moment we locked eyes I knew. This woman was telling the truth but for whatever reason I still didn't believe her. She must have had some kind of proof because my dad would never believe anything like this without it.

"I can't get over how beautiful you are."

She tried to touch my face but I moved away from her and even had Jimmy and Brian nearly jump in front of me. She quickly backed off before everyone sat down to tell me about all of this. She did in fact have proof. Hospital records. It showed that I had been switched at birth. The other baby named Madison was on the other side of the living room. She hadn't moved or even said a word the entire time I had been here.

Apparently Madison and I had been born on the same day in the exact same hospital. A nurse had mixed us up during a shift change and we were given to the wrong parents.

"So.. what happens now?" I asked in a small voice.

"Well.. you're coming home with us of course. We can't wait to get you back to Tennessee."

At that moment I noticed my Dad walk out of the room. I frowned.

"Will you excuse me for a minute? I just need some time alone."

I didn't wait for an answer and got up from the couch. I made my way up to my room knowing that Brian and Jimmy were following me. They knew me well enough to know that I didn't handle these kinds of things very well and that I'd only end up balling my eyes out the second I was alone.

And that is exactly what I did.

As soon as I heard the door to my bedroom shut I burst into tears. Within seconds I felt strong arms around me pulling me into their chest. I could tell by his cologne that it was Brian. He kissed my forehead and rubbed my back as I cried into his chest.

"I want to hug you too." Jimmy pouted.

Brian passed me over to Jimmy where he hugged me like his life depended on it. He was shaking a little and I could tell he was crying too. Jimmy had been my best friend since we were in kindergarden. I didn't know how to live without him.

Looking over at Brian who was sitting on the edge of my bed I noticed his eyes were glued to the floor. Brian wasn't the type to cry in front of people and I could tell he was trying to keep his emotions in check. He was trying to be strong for me but he had to know that I wouldn't be upset or think any differently of him if he shed a few tears.

A knock at my door caused me to jump and the three of us just stared at it as if it would attack at any moment.

"Jenna? It's Allison may I come in?"

I didn't want this woman in my room but I didn't have a choice. She was my mother and she'd probably find a way in anyway.

Jimmy opened the door where I watched her walk in with Madison in tow.

"I know all of this is a shock to you but I can assure you that everything will be okay."

She tried to hug me but I backed away from her. She didn't seem to be upset but didn't waste any time in asking where my suitcases were.

"I think it would be best for everyone if we get you girls settled as soon as possible." She said as she began opening my dresser drawers. "We'll send these bags back next week. You won't need any of this designer stuff out in the country."

Allison began throwing in what she thought I would need and left everything else for Madison who was already making herself comfortable on my bed.

"You boys should go home. I can handle things from here."

Brian and Jimmy exchanged looks before looking back at Allison.

"We'll leave when Jen or Johnny kick us out. Not before."

I couldn't help but smile at Jimmy's words. Allison narrowed her eyes but continued to pack as if she was in a hurry to leave. Her husband hadn't said a word to me yet which didn't bother me at all. Now only if Allison would shut her mouth and just leave me alone.

But I knew I wasn't going to get that lucky.

I watched with tears in my eyes as she packed my clothes as well as some things I had in my bathroom. Most things remained untouched and I figured they'd be packed into boxes and shipped out but Allison said that I wouldn't need them.

"There is no point in taking anything you won't need. Besides, these are Madison's things now. I guess she can do what she wants with them."

Madison looked up when she heard her name but quickly went back to staring at the things in my room. She seemed to be staring at one particular thing and if Jimmy weren't holding me back I would have jumped her in a second.

She was staring at Brian.

I couldn't handle this so Brian and Jimmy took me downstairs. We were about to head outside when I saw my Dad sitting at the kitchen table with his head in hands.

"Daddy?"

He looked up at me and stood up just as I made a mad dash for him and jumped into his arms.

"I don't want to go." I cried.

"I don't want you to go either Princess." He said using the nickname he had given to me when I was a baby. He slowly pulled back and wiped the tears from my eyes. "No matter what always know that I love you okay?"

I nodded. "I love you too Daddy."

------


The day had finally come for me to leave. I was sitting in between Brian and Jimmy who had barely left my side in the last two days. I prayed that the flight would get cancelled but it was right on time and before I knew what was happening they said it was time to board.

I didn't want to say goodbye to anyone but Jimmy immediately pulled me into his arms and held me. He whispered into my ear that he'd find a way to bring me home even if he had to kidnap me. I wish he already had. He eventually let me go and it was time to say goodbye to Brian.

"I want you to have this." He said as he handed me his favorite Guns N' Roses hoodie. "Think of me when you wear it okay?"

"I will." I said as I took it and immediately put it on. It was warm and smelled just like him.

"I um.. you know I'm not very good with words but.. I love you."

I choked on a sob and felt him pull me into his arms. That was the first time he had told me he loves me and I knew that it would also be the last time I'd ever hear it. I had been dreading this moment for two days because I knew I had to let him go. If I could have shoved him into my suitcase and taken him with me I would have done it already.

"I love you too." I whispered into his ear and felt him start to shake. He was crying.

Brian pulled back slightly and wiped the tears from eyes before leaning in and kissing me. When we pulled away we just stared at each other and whispered one last I love you before I had to say the hardest goodbye of all.

The man standing before me worked his ass off to give me a good home. He always made sure I had a smile on my face and supported me in any decision that I made. He was there when I needed a shoulder to cry on and tasted any food I tried to make when I was a kid. He came to all of my dance recitals and would call constantly to check up on me if he was away shooting a movie.

"You be good okay?"

I just nodded and watched as he tried not to cry. He seemed to be taking this worse than I was but he could now get to know his real daughter while I moved across the country to live with people I didn't even know.

He pulled me into his arms and I held onto him just like I did when I was a little girl. This man had been all I'd known and I prayed that he would have been my father. He was my everything and I didn't know how I was going to survive without him.

"If you ever need anything I want you to call me. Blood or not you will always be my little girl. There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you."

I couldn't hold it in any longer and just burst into tears.

"I love you so much Daddy."

"I love you too sweetheart. You just.. take care of yourself and know that you will always have a place to stay if you come to visit okay?"

"Okay."

"Jenna, it's time to go." Allison said as she pulled me out of his arms.

I took one last look at the three men that meant the world to me before I was pulled away from them. Each one of them was softly crying and all I wanted to do was run into their arms but all too soon the door was shut and I knew I'd never seen them again.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back.. again. Been going through a lot of things lately so updates will continue to be slow but I had this idea and just couldn't hold off any longer to write it.

More soon! Comment and subscribe...