Iris

Thirteenth.

Iris.

When we returned to Jimmy’s home, I was encouraged to go change before the guys showed up. We had already called them on the way back and they had all promised to be by soon. None of the girls were going to be coming though. Gena still at work and the rest were having “girl night” with Val. I was informed that it still wasn’t too serious, it happened once in awhile, but I couldn’t help but feel concerned. What had happened between Matt and Val?

I pulled on the swimming suit and observed myself in the mirror. I guess a piece of me wanted to believe I looked good. I mean, Gena and Jimmy had said so. But then again, they could be lying. But what would they accomplish in that? I sighed, sinking onto the toilet lid. Why did I have to have such bad body images? Stupid kids from school. They just had to tear me down, huh?

Suddenly the sound of my phone ringing tore me out of my thoughts. I hesitated for a moment before slowly picking it up. Reading the ID, I sighed, answering the call. “Hey Dad.”

“So you lost your temper with Trevor, huh?”

“Who doesn’t?” I remarked dryly with a roll of my eyes. I was still peeved with Trevor’s actions. But God forbid I was upset when Trevor was "simply looking out for me". There were many way he could have handled it but he chose that way.

"Usually you don't."

"Whelp, stuff happens sometimes."

Instead of continuing to push on me, as most would, he quickly switched the conversation off my brother. “So how is Huntington? Jimmy being good to you?”

“Of course, Dad, he’s a gentlemen,” I informed with a small laugh. “But it’s okay. Not quite home, but it’s nice.”

I could practically hear the smile on his face. “Well, you’ll grow used to it.”

“I guess so,” I spoke nonchalantly. I felt strange talking about Jimmy’s hometown with anyone from home. And visa versa with the people here about Los Angeles. It’s like if I say anything positive about either side that it will make people think I’m making my decision. It was probably me just being paranoid, but that is how I feel and I couldn’t control it.

“So do I have to worry about any guys?”

I scoffed, jumping up onto the counter, observing my nails which I had recently painted a bright teal. “Dad, the only guys I’ve seen are, like, thirty something.”

“Doesn’t mean you can’t think one is attractive,” he pointed out. “Do I have to remind you of Nikki Sixx?”

“Yeah, but you think he’s pretty attractive too,” I retorted. Dad let out a loud laugh.

“So I kiss him once when I was younger and wasted. Do you really have to hold it against me for so long?”

“Uhm, yeah. He thought you were a girl,” I reminded him, snickering at the thought of the picture Mom had snapped of the two. A few years ago we all went to a Motley Crue concert and Mom brought it up when we happened to see Nikki and Tommy walking around after. Nikki laughed and took a picture again, but this time kissing his cheek.

“Well I was a damn fine girl, okay?” This made me snort and I quickly covered my mouth as I began to giggle madly. “Whoa, did I just hear a snort?”

“No old man, your mind’s going,” I teased.

“I’m not that old! I’m only twenty-seven.”

“For how many years now?”

“Irrelevant.” I rolled my eyes playfully. “Now what were you so anxious about earlier?”

“What are you talking about?” I questioned, quite confused. I never said I was anxious.

“Really Iris? I’ve been your father for this long and you don’t think I recognize what your voice sounds like when you’re nervous?” Dad mocked. I rolled my eyes again. He was quite the smartass.

“Okay, all knowing father.”

“Better bet your butt I am,” he scoffed with an air of arrogance. He softened his voice as he said, “Well?”

“Its stupid, I know, I’m just going to have a pool party with Jimmy and his friends. But I’m being all self conscious and stuff, as always. Gena - which is the girlfriend of one of the guys - helped me pick out a new swimsuit and I kind of like it, but I kind of don’t.”

“Honey, you look fantastic in no matter what you wear. Just embrace it, baby. But not enough to make men get you drinks or into clubs. I would whoop your butt,” he warned, the seriousness in his voice enough to make me laugh loudly.

“Yeah, ‘cause, you know that alcohol and clubs are totally my thing.”

“Of course, you party animal.” I laughed again. It was good to talk to Dad. I could tell him anything and, no matter what mood I’m in, he could cheer me up. After a few moments of silence, he let out a short hum. “You’ve been too quiet for too long, what are you thinking about?”

“Just how lucky I was to have you as a father,” I answered honestly. Dad chuckled, attempting to cover up the pride and embarrassment I knew he had.

“No, I think I was lucky to have you for a daughter.” I let out a soft laugh too. “Alright, enough mushy stuff for the day. Just get out there and enjoy yourself for me, okay?”

“Deal. Love you, Dad.”

“Love you too, Iris.” With that I hung up and slipped off the counter. I pulled open the door to see Jimmy about to knock. He was grinning, but it wasn’t quite reaching his eyes. I frowned, concerned.

“Jimmy, you okay?”

“Yeah, I’m fine. The guys are all here and they’re requesting you get a move on,” Jimmy replied easily. I wanted to argue with him, but it wouldn’t get anywhere. So, instead, I nodded and followed him out of the guest room. Soon enough we were in the backyard where all the guy were splashing in the pool. They all looked up and grinned when they saw me behind Jimmy.

“Iris! Come help me whoop these guys!” Johnny called right before Brian dunked him under the water. I grinned, tossing my phone onto the back table. I ran at the pool before launching myself in the air. As soon as my feet hit the bottom of the pool, I pushed myself up to the surface of the pool. I began to cling to the side as I breathed deeply. That pool was deeper than I thought.

“That was awesome!” Zack exclaimed, his eyes ablaze with excitement. That’s when another explosion of water soaked him. He turned just as Jimmy surfaced, a smirk on his lips. “You’re an asshole.”

“Yup,” Jimmy replied simply before tackling him under the water. I gave a half hearted laugh as I tried to relax in the water. I didn’t feel uncomfortable around these guys, even in such minimal clothing, and I was happy for that. This was something I could only fully do in the safety of my bedroom. It was so odd with this group. It was like I’d known them since I was born.

“Hey Iris.” I turned around, spotting Matt right next to me. He was simply standing there, which bothered me. The only one who seemed to have to make the slightest effort to stay afloat was Johnny and that was just barely. Being short sucked, that’s the moral of the story here. “You okay?”

“Yeah, fine,” I shrugged off. “Deep pool, huh?”

“Mine’s deeper,” Matt taunted, seeming to think I must like them. Well, he was wrong and by his face I knew that he knew too. “Ah, I see. Well, why are you still in there?”

“Because I’m not a sissy. I just wasn’t expecting it,” I replied.

Matt raised an eyebrow at me. “It’s Jimmy’s pool, the six foot four giant, and you didn’t expect a deep pool? You should be surprised its this shallow.”

“Hey, y’know, you’re mean,” I grumbled out. Lame, I know. But it was all I could think of. Besides, it made Matt look guilty almost instantly.

“I’m sorry. I was just kidding.”

“I know.” That made his eyebrows narrow in confusion which made me smile at him. Before he could ask any questions, I pushed off the wall and dived underwater. Okay, so I lied. It wasn’t so bad being short. In any pool, no matter how short it is, it might still feel pretty deep to you. Six feet felt like I was under the ocean.

Oh, how I wish we had a pool at home. I loved the feeling of being underwater too much. I know kids always like to say that they were part fish, but sometimes I can believe it. With how long I can stay under and with how much I just seem to become one with the water. Ugh, it was just so enticing. Even now, after three months of not being in anything deeper than a puddle, I felt like I was home. And, of course, that was when I was yanked out of my solitary sit on the bottom of the pool.

“Are you okay?!” Jimmy exclaimed, shaking me slightly by the shoulders as he forced me to the side of the pool. As was customary when letting out a scream underwater, I was coughing my lungs out over the ground as Jimmy patted my back. When my breathing was normal again I turned around with a glare.

“Damnit! I was going for a new record!” Jimmy blinked dumbly at me. “Look, I get you are concerned, but I’m fine. I have a very good lung capacity. If I was drowning, you would have seen air bubbles and thrashing arms. What nearly drowned me was you pulling me up!”

“I’m sorry,” Jimmy mumbled, looking down at the water below him. I sighed, running a hand through my hair as the noise around us fell silent. I looked up at the guys to see them awkwardly spaced out and silent too. Finally I decided that the best way to disturb the silence was to tackle the hell out of Jimmy. And that’s what I did.

“Geronimo!” I shouted before pushing off the side of the pool, launching myself onto Jimmy’s shoulders. Soon enough I was pushing him over and falling in after him. Right before my hearing was reduced to muffled noises, I heard cheers of encouragement from the other guys. I quickly swam away from him, making sure to yank my leg back when he tried to grab my ankle. For a man so worried that I might have been drowning earlier, he surely wanted to keep me under now.

When I did finally resurface, Jimmy was pouting as the guys laughed at him. Johnny and Zacky turned when they heard me break the water and quickly pulled me forward. The two made me sit on Johnny’s shoulders and then he stood to his full height. “And here’s the woman of the hour!”

“Woman of the hour is only thirteen and scared of heights!” I exclaimed, hugging his head awkwardly.

“Ha. It’s because she’s so short. Aha. Geddit?” Zacky snickered, nudging Brian with his elbow. Brian simply pushed him over and made him fall into the water. Jimmy quickly stood up, plucking me from Johnny’s shoulders before he could drop me. Not that I really believed he would - at least purposely - but my anxiety was screaming so loud that logical reasoning wasn’t helping in the slightest. I let out a shaky breath as I was placed back into the relaxing movement of the water.

“You okay?”

“Yeah, just peachy,” I replied with a small smile. Jimmy didn’t look too sure. And I was really starting to get frustrated with seeing that look on his face. I let out a sigh. “Seriously, I’m fine.”

“Okay,” Jimmy said. This time he didn’t seem to have any kind of emotion as he said it, but I knew he definitely wasn’t agreeing with me. Either way, I decided to drop it. This is the third argument today that I had no chance to win in. Suddenly Jimmy was grinning widely at me. “That was one hell of a tackle, by the way.”

“Thanks. Y’know, I was starting to believe all those trips to the gym wasn’t doing anything. Boy was I wrong,” I joked, smirking playfully.

“She has the smirk!” Brian suddenly bellowed, seeming to come out of nowhere and grinning so wide that I figured his face must hurt.

“What the hell are you babbling about?” Matt laughed out.

“That little smirk!” Brian pointed at my face for added effort even though I had already dropped the expression he was referring to. “Jimmy has the same one! C’mon, you guys had to have noticed.”

“Brian, you’ve been staring too long,” Zack spoke seriously.

“Yeah, Brian,” Johnny scoffed in reply as Brian’s face fell and he looked confused. He looked to Matt for support, but he only shook his head and chuckled.

Brian turned hopefully to Jimmy to see him with a blank expression. “Seriously Bri, why are you so obsessed with me?”

“Did he just go Mariah Carey on me?” Brian asked in shock, his wide eyes turning to me. I shook my head, holding up a palm to face him.

“Don’t drag me into this.” With that I drove under the water and swam away from the still fuming man. I couldn’t help snickering when I resurfaced to see Jimmy screaming the lyrics to the Mariah Carey song as he ran away from Brian.

These boys will be the death of me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey, hey guys. Guys. I did it. I updated. I'm sorry it took so long, but look. It's cute. Do you love me yet? I hope so.