Iris

Sixteenth.

Jimmy.

After leaving Olive Garden with a very large tip amount, we decided to head back to Brian’s home. All the girls had decided to meet us there, including Val. I guess whatever problems she was having with Matt were done for now since she was attached at his hip the moment we came through the door. Brian decided to have the great idea of having a party after seeing how well Iris bonded with the girls. So once we were given her blessing, we were ringing up a few friends to come trash Brian’s home.

Soon enough it was the ten of us, the Berry’s, Tony and Dahlia (a couple officially off the record of Kerrang!), Benji and Joel Madden from Good Charlotte, and Brian’s brother Brent with his girlfriend Lisa. I knew Iris was hesitant but she had definitely opened up a bit more, especially in the last hour or so. That left me to contently sit back with my feet propped up on Brian’s table sitting on the back porch as Brent, Lisa, Brian, Michelle, and I chatted. Yeah, I was just kind of invading in the Haner family. Iris was talking animatedly with the Madden twins as they sat in a loosely formed triangle on lawn chairs.

I took a pull from my small glass filled three-fourths of the way with bourbon. It was the only glass I planned to have too. I knew it would be a terrible idea to get trashed since I would have to drive home. Besides, getting wasted in front of Iris was something I didn’t plan on doing. I had a beer or two, but nothing that would do more than make me relax. After the last couple of days, it seemed fair enough.

“So Jimmy.” I turned my head to look over at Lisa who was leaning on Brent’s shoulder and smiling. “How is it being a dad?”

I smiled and gave a soft shrug. “It’s weird. I’m not used to it quite yet. I feel like we’re just having an elaborate prank or something right now. It’s like after a while Iris is going to yell ‘gotchya’ and run from the house and I’ll never see her again.”

“You have some weird thinking, man,” Brent spoke as everyone laughed. I just grinned. But it was true. I don’t think we’ve really had a ‘father/daughter’ moment at all so it’s more like I’m just friends with someone half my age. Half the time I felt I was going to be arrested or something from beliefs I was just a sexual deviant.

“Well, you should get used to the idea she’s not just going to leave you,” Michelle added. I nodded my head though I doubted it. I didn’t exactly think she was going to leave and never speak to me again, but I didn’t think she was going to leave Elisha, Jocelynn, and Trevor. It was obvious she loved them more than I could ever imagine. In her shoes I’d stay in Los Angeles too.

I saw Iris say something as she shot out of her seat. She began to skip to the backdoor of Brian’s home before she slipped through the ajar glass. Joel dispersed to go speak to Matt, Val, and Zack who were hanging out by the hot tub. I stood to my feet and excused myself before heading over to Benji. I took the seat his twin had occupied and patiently waited. He looked up from his phone after a moment and smiled widely. “Hey, Jimbo.”

“So how you’ve been Benji?” I hadn’t really spoken to Benji since halfway through last year. He had just broken up with his fiancee Sophie so he wasn’t that open to talking to people. I hadn’t even been around in any form during his thing with Paris Hilton. Joel confessed he had been a bit better recently. He was hoping this party might be one of the small pushes to help him get over all of it.

“I’ve been good, man,” Benji replied with a soft smile. I raised an eyebrow and he sighed. “Seriously, I’m okay. I’m better.”

“If you say so,” I said simply. I didn’t want to start an argument over it and Benji could tell too. He was just tired. I was very familiar with the look so he knew there was no fooling me. “Just call me if you need someone to talk to.”

“Thanks.” It was quiet for a minute or two. Occasionally I sipped from my bourbon and Benji would sip his beer. I couldn’t tell how many he had had by now. I knew he came over after him and Joel had a few and he’d been drinking the whole three hours they were here. But he seemed fine. Maybe I was just over exaggerating how many times I thought I saw him get one. “Iris is a pretty swell kid, Jimbo.”

“I know. I’m proud of her for being such a... wait, ‘swell’? Trying to use different words, Madden?” I teased. He gave me a playful glare.

“What? I can’t extend my vocabulary?” Benji challenged. I simply laughed.

“I guess you can. Need more than curse words in there.” He simply made a rude face and moved his lips wordlessly to mock me. I simply smiled in return. “She’s a lot better than I was at that age. I was a trouble maker. She’s practically a saint! She doesn’t even seem to curse.”

“Damn. She has my mom beat then.”

“I’m with you on that one,” I agreed, taking another sip from my glass.

“So have your parents met her yet?”

“Not yet. We’re doing that this week.”

“Excited?”

“Me or them?”

“Both.”

“I’m ecstatic and I think they’re more so than me. Kelly and Katie are coming over too. I hope they all like each other.” Benji paused before the neck of his bottle could reach his lips. He lowered it again and raised an eyebrow.

“Now, I’m not saying they are going to, but what if they don’t like her?” I blinked stupidly at him. He sighed and ran a hand through his short hair. “What I’m asking is, if they don’t like her, is it going to affect the way you see her?”

“Of course not!” I exclaimed. “If anything, the only people who I’m going to view differently is my family. Iris is a wonderful girl and there’s nothing to not like.”

“Good.” Benji finally took his sip and finished off the bottle. I stared at him for a moment, the wheels in my head turning. Why was Benji so worried about it? He had met my family once or twice, he knew the kind of people my family were. Iris would fit in perfectly with them and I had absolutely no fear of them rejecting her. He seemed to take it personally. What was going on in that head of his?

Suddenly a hand fell onto my shoulder. I jumped slightly, turning to look at the body next to me. Johnny stood there with a look of concern on his face. “Hey, Jimmy? I need you to come with me, please.”

“What’s wrong? Is everything okay?” I asked, setting my glass down on the small table next to my chair. He stayed silent, giving me a look that said he didn’t want to say anything in front of Benji. I nodded and quickly stood to my feet. I followed Johnny through the backyard and then into the house. He led me into the kitchen where Lacey, Gena, and Iris sat at the island. Iris was giggling at something as Lacey had a hand placed on her shoulder. Gena turned to look at me and Johnny and frowned. “What’s up?”

“Wanna take a second look at Iris?” Gena asked, crossing her arms firmly over her chest. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion but did as she said. Staring at Iris now, I noticed what I hadn’t at first glace. Her dazed look, her flushed cheeks, and her slight sway. I walked around the island, leaning down to be eye level with her. She giggled again, poking my cheek.

“Hey Jim Jam,” she giggled. Her breath was doused in whiskey and practically made me gag. It was a lot different smelling it off of myself and smelling it off my thirteen year old daughter.

“Iris, where did you get alcohol?” I questioned calmly. I finally noticed the bottle of Maker’s Mark sitting on the counter. I frowned, turning back to Iris who was zoning out again. I snapped my fingers in front of her face, making her jump slightly. “Why did you drink?”

“Because everyone was doing it to celebrate and I wanted to celebrate so I took a sip.” I gave her a disbelieving look and she gave a short huff. “Okay, so I took three sips. And by sips I mean mouthfuls. I didn’t know whiskey was so easy to drink. Why do people complain about it?”

“Out of all the things you had to get from me, it had to be my intolerance to hard liquor,” I muttered.

“What?” Iris slurred.

“Nothing. Let’s get home, Iris.”

“One minute. I wanna do something!” Iris decided, jumping off her seat and pushing Lacey’s hand off her. As soon as we went to stop her, she was tearing ass down the hall. It was surprisingly fast for an intoxicated thirteen year old. I sighed and quickly headed after her, reaching the back door only moments after she did. She paused and turned on her heels, walking back to me. “I almost forgot..”

She slapped her phone into my hand and ran off again. Before I could speak or even react, she was running off again. The whole party turned to watch as she let out an ‘allons-y’ and shot into the pool. The instant reaction was laughing, cheering, and Tony soon joining her in the pool. It set off a chain reaction and nearly half the party was soon in the pool. I quickly stepped forward, grabbing Iris by her upper arm, and pulling her out of the water. She pouted but I ignored her, pulling her to the house.

“Here’s a towel,” Brian spoke as he suddenly appeared from the bathroom with a large, fluffy towel as I stepped into the hallway. I nodded my thanks before wrapping it around Iris’s soaking body. She let out a soft ‘ooh’, petting the soft material. “Is she really...?”

“Definitely.” I chuckled nervously. “Sorry about this, Bri.”

“Man, don’t sweat it. Everyone just thinks she’s a crazy party goer,” Brian said with a snort. “Just get her home and into bed. She’s gonna need it.”

“I know. C’mon Iris.”

She pouted, clinging to Brian’s arm. “But I don’t wanna go.”

“If we go home, you can have pizza.” Iris let out a cheer, quickly detaching herself from Brian and running towards the front door. She tried to pull the door open, but failed. She then turned around with her bottom lip sticking out in a pout. In a childish tone, she whined, “It won’t open.”

“I got it, Iris.” I stepped forward and unlocked the bottom bolt. I placed my hands on her shoulders, nodded my thanks to Brian, and began to steer Iris to the Camaro which I had been dropped off at the house to get. I pulled open the door before I assisted her in climbing into her seat. She nearly spilled onto the concrete, but we were soon able to place her in successfully. I shut her door before walking around to my side and climbing in. As soon as I had started up the car, she switched it to some station that played current hits and she was singing along to all the music I barely recognized.

“What kind of pizza do we have?” I turned to look at Iris for a moment, not realizing at first that she was actually speaking to me. Her eyes were half lidded and she was leaned back in her seat.

“Technically I only have pizza rolls.”

“What kind?”

“Combination, I think.”

“Today is a good day to be alive,” Iris spoke, making me snicker. I guess I found her favorite food next to nachos. After that it was pretty quiet in the car and I had thought Iris might have fallen asleep. But every time I glanced at her, her eyes were still half open and she was mouthing the words to the songs playing. Soon enough we were pulling into the driveway and Iris was shooting out of her seat. I turned off the car and looked at her seat, seeing the damp spot on the material. I sighed softly and also got out of the car. I walked my way up the walkway to see Iris pouting again.

“You have to unlock doors, Iris.” She stuck out her tongue as I placed the key in the slot and unlocked it. She headed in first, sloppily skipping her way upstairs. I shook my head, deciding to at least preheat the oven before I followed her. I kicked off my shoes and placed my keys and wallet on the table next to the door. After setting the oven to the right temperature, I made my way up the stairs, taking them three at a time. Just as I reached the door, a thud was heard.

“Owie.” I opened the door to see laying half way out of the bathroom. She had seemed to have successfully shed her old clothes and I’m assuming she had changed into new undergarments. She had been trying to slip into a pair of yoga type pants, but had seem to have fallen at that point since they were only to her knees. Iris finally noticed me and rolled her eyes. She wiggled her way into them before sitting up. “Toss me a tank, would ya?”

I didn’t reply, just reached into her suitcase and tossed the first tank I came across. A gray tank landed on her head and she huffed before pulling it on. She tried to stand, but swayed and nearly fell again. I caught her and chuckled. She glared at me, silencing me. “Want a ride?”

“I want pizza rolls,” she grumbled in reply. I rolled my eyes before picking her up, one arm behind her knees and the other behind her shoulders. When back in the kitchen, I gently set her on a stool before walking around to place the pizza rolls on a tray. Once that was in the oven and a timer was set, I turned to face her again and leaned against the counter. Iris had her arms crossed and her cheek resting on them as she stared at me. Suddenly she asked, “Are you angry at me?”

“What?” I blinked to see her giving me a ‘don’t you fuck with me right now’ look. I shrugged, rubbing the back of my neck. “About the alcohol?”

“No, the unicorns I let run amuck all over you house. Yes, the alcohol.” Damn. Her sarcasm was sharp when she was tipsy. Or maybe it was because she was hungry. Both?

“Not really. I wish you would have at least told me, but I figured it would probably happen at some point. Have you drank anything alcoholic before?” Iris offered a short shake of her head.

“So does that mean I can have more?”

“No.”

Iris huffed, turning her head so her face was buried in her crossed arms. I rolled my arms and made sure to place the bottle of Jack Daniels I owned on the top most shelf of my pantry. Could never be too safe. I slid into the stool across from Iris and began to twiddle my thumbs.

“Hey Iris?” She let out a grunt, letting me know I could continue. “What are your feelings on where you want to live?”

Iris slowly raised her head and blinked a few times at me. I smiled nervously. I knew it was wrong to ask her when she was practically drunk, but it was eating me alive. I wanted to know so bad and I was willing to stoop to a new level to know. I was just terrified that through this trip I was just making her want to avoid being here. I mean, I had crazy friends and I wasn’t as ‘fatherly’ as Elisha probably was. I was more than likely just managing to make an ass of myself or something.

“I’m gonna be honest with ya here, Jim Jam,” Iris spoke. She was trying to get a huge ‘serious’ feel, but it’s very hard to take her seriously when she’s swaying and slurring her words. “I really like it here. It’s awesome here. There are so many people I can talk to and see and it’s awesome.”

“But?” I prompted.

“But I’m scared to leave my terrible life behind. Bullies, threats, and a step away from child neglect is the only thing I know. But, I mean, apparently it’s because my whole family has no emotions, but whatever. Point is, my life sucks but I’m too used to it. I’m too comfortable in the uncomfortable spot. It’s too confusing to think about and pretty much, I’m just a class A wuss.”

“So I’m not...pushing you away or something?”

Iris gave me a look that suggested I have brain damage. “Heck no! You’re the most inviting someone’s ever been to me in my life. You’re pulling me in and that’s what’s making this decision so difficult.”

Just then is when the timer went off. Iris let out a ‘whoop’ and shot off her seat. She opened the oven and began to try to pull the tray out with her bare hand. I quickly stepped forward, pulled her away, and grabbed the tray with my oven mitt clad hand. I placed the tray on top of the stove and turned off the oven before I grabbed two plates. I split the rolls evenly before settling across from Iris again, placing our plates on the island. I reached back to grab two bottles of orange soda from the fridge, placing them by each plate. Iris managed to burn her mouth twice before she finally was able to wolf down her entire plate.

“I’m tired,” Iris announced loudly after chugging more than half of her soda. I laughed as she climbed off her chair, swaying a lot less. She, however, was still stumbling all the same. I shook my head before getting to my own feet and leaning down with my back to her.

“Climb on.” She followed my instruction, wrapping her arms around my neck and her legs around my waist. I made sure to have a grip on her thighs before standing again and heading up the stairs.

“I had fun today, Jimmy,” she murmured into my ear, her warm breath giving me chills.

“I’m glad.”

“I love you.”

“I love you, too,” I spoke back after a moment, my throat closing up and tears burning the back of my eyes. Soon enough I was placing her on her bed. She was already knocked out. I smiled gently before placing her under the covers. I gave her forehead a quick peck before I left her room. I silently shut the door before heading to my own room. I lazily tossed my clothes on the floor on my walk to my bed. Once I was just in my boxers, I climbed under my covers and shut my eyes, a smile prominently on my face.

Today definitely was great.
♠ ♠ ♠
Here is the crap you've been waiting a week for. I'm too lazy to apologize and proofread. Proofreading will happen sometime soon. By the way, subscribe to this story if you're interested. It's a short story and not exactly sure when I will post chapters. Woot.