Iris

Ninth.

Iris.

A few of my prophecies had come true the next morning.

Firstly, I would have to attend school. I had even laid in bed an extra ten minutes, calling towards my door hoping my mother would hear me. It took awhile but she finally ended up in my room, raising an eyebrow at me. When I mentioned staying home she instantly shook her head. ‘If you want to go to Jimmy’s this weekend, you will go to school today.’ And just like that, I was being tugged out of bed and lightly pushed towards my bathroom.

After getting dressed and saying my goodbyes to my parents, I headed to my bus stop as usual. This time when I arrived, I was not ignored as usual. The group was still huddled and whispering as always, but they regularly looked over at me. I avoided their gazes, staring blankly towards the street. I didn't look anywhere else until the bus had pulled to a stop, the other kids already climbing on.

I sat in my normal seat - the third seat behind the driver - and just waited for the jeers directed at me. When I received none, I turned to look at the kids behind me. A few looked away from my gaze, but a lot just continued to stare at me, most whispering out of the corners of their mouths. I quickly turned back around, distracting myself by opening and closing random applications on my phone. I preferred people throwing insults and mocking me instead of the whispers that were passing all around me.

I heard some kind of hissing, making me look around curiously. I finally noticed the kid who was trying to get my attention. And it was pretty ridiculous on how long it took me to find him, considering the fact he sat in the booth across from me. He frequently dressed in all black and I had no idea what his name was. His brown eyes were wide, staring at me in awe. “Are you really related to The Rev?”

In reply I rolled my eyes, focusing out the window. I could tell more people were trying to get my attention, making me turn up my music in protest. By the time I was finally climbing off the bus in front of school, I was sick of everyone. Usually I wasn't at that point until first period. New record, I guess. I avoided people as much as I could, choosing to be the silent one in all of the “last day before a long weekend” hubbub that everyone took place in.

By the time lunch came around, everyone in the entire school was talking about me knowing James Sullivan. Strange, though not at the same time, was that the people who tried to interrogate me the most were the popular kids who didn't even listen to his band’s music. I figured the fangirls would be on me more, but they weren't. They seemed more understanding that, no matter how I knew him, I didn't want to be bothered with it.

They were my favorite people honestly.

For lunch, however, I couldn't hide in the library as usual and I couldn't go in the cafeteria. I had overheard in the bathroom that two separate teams were going to corner me in whichever spot I showed up in. So I decided to go to the back of the school, hiding behind the baseball field. No one was allowed to practice during lunch, giving me some time to have to myself. If this was how school would always be, I was really hoping I could talk my parents into letting me home school.

Jimmy would probably let me.

I paused, thinking over this thought. For me to think that, that would imply I was thinking about going to live with Jimmy. Could I leave my parents and Trevor behind so easily? I mean, I may not have the perfect life I would enjoy, but it’s the only life I've had for so long. But the thought of just dropping everything and going somewhere new? Well, that was exciting to think about. Going somewhere where no one knew who I was or any of my problems? That sounded almost too good to be true.

In fact, as I laid in bed and stared at my ceiling in the middle of the night, I wondered if it really is just too good to be true. Maybe I was in a coma and this was one of those insanely real dreams they end up making movies about. They’d probably cast Jimmy as Johnny Depp and I would cast as Emma Stone. Not that I wouldn't mind that, she just doesn't seem like she’s thirteen. They’d probably change that too so they could use her. Rambling aside, it was just too good, too great.

But it was definitely real.

Soon enough I heard the bell ring, letting me know it was time to head back to class. I sighed, pulling myself off the ground and dusting my pants off. I hitched my backpack further up my shoulder and made my way towards the main building, keeping my head ducked as people began to file out, talking and laughing loudly as they headed to their different versions of P.E. classes. I’m pretty sure I heard more whispering - actually I know I heard more whispering - as I maneuvered my way through the halls to my computer class.

I plopped down in my normal seat, glancing around. Luckily this class didn't seem to process the fact that there were people around them. During our work, we listened to our iPods or radio internet or our phones. When we finished the much too easy work, we all watched YouTube or Netflix or just played games. It didn't matter. In the end, we didn't bother other people. I welcomed this intensely. Even my teacher just went to sleep once she gave us our papers. Seeing as how this was the last day before the short break and my teacher was already asleep, I was left to assume that we wouldn't have work today.

Instead, I decided to dedicate this time to see what everyone was saying.

A quick search of “The Rev” and “Iris Kinglsey” was enough to take me to what I was looking for. There were posts all over Facebook and Twitter about us. Most demanding what our relationship was and a few people telling them to screw off and leave the two of us alone. There was even a very popular picture floating around Instagram of the two of us as Jimmy led me to his car after the restaurant. I groaned softly, rubbing at my face. Stalker much?

I spent the rest of the period before log off time to research deeper into what I actually cared about; Tumblr. There was a big stir up there. Only about two percent of Tumblr’s population was demanding who I was, the other ninety-eight just wanted everyone to screw off. And if I was important to him, I would be spoken of eventually. Until then everyone just needed to chill. I even had people blowing up my ask, with supportive and demanding messages. I ignored them all for the fact I was planning to go “underground” with it all until the weekend was over.

So soon enough I was getting out of school. The rest of computer class and my music class had gone by in a blur. Maybe just because both had students who didn't listen to gossip or just didn't give a damn who I knew. Either way, I was grateful. I had to bring my instrument home, by order of my teacher and my mother, and I wasn't too happy. I knew I’d have to bring it to Jimmy’s and, out of general habit, he’d probably ask me to play something.

That would gladly be avoided if I could make it so.

I quickly trudged my way through the school, making sure to take the long way around as to not run into the usual people. I successfully made it off campus without anyone stopping me. I quickly slipped into the passenger side of Jimmy’s vehicle, shutting the door with some finality. I placed my violin case and backpack on the floor as I cross my legs on the seat under me. I turned to Jimmy, who still hadn't moved the car, to see him giving me a strange look. “What?”

“Nothing,” Jimmy announced, turning back to the front and taking the car out of park. He then joined the traffic leaving the high school. The sound of Papa Roach filled the car. I bobbed my head along to “Last Resort” as we got into the less densely packed streets of my neighborhood. Finally, Jimmy spoke to me again. “So, are you excited?”

“Definitely,” I spoke without a moment of hesitation. I really was. All drama that had been stirred up aside, I was happy to get out of town and see where Jimmy lived. I wanted to meet his friends and see what they thought of him. I wanted to feel welcomed into their lives. I wanted to get an inside look to how they really were and not how fans interpreted them. I leaned back against my seat’s headrest, a smile on my lips. “Are you?”

“Am I?” Jimmy echoed, stunned. After a moment he chuckled. “ I've been excited since the day before I met you. So yeah, I’m pretty fucking ecstatic.” He fell silent again. “Whoops. I mean, yeah.”

“Y’know, I’m not six. You can go ahead and curse.”

“I’m trying to be a good example.” I looked over at him to raise an eyebrow. He caught my look and stuck out his tongue, staring ahead again. “Shut up.”

“Yeah, that’s how you act like a good example,” I scoffed. He let out a breath and caused me to laugh. “I’m just kidding. But seriously, why? It doesn't matter how you act, I will continue to act my way. I’m not a child. I don’t copy the people around me.”

“I don’t know. I’m trying something different,” Jimmy replied simply, shrugging his shoulders lightly. I smiled but decided not to press on. Soon enough we were pulling to a stop in my driveway. I placed the violin case in the backseat before climbing out with my backpack slung over my shoulder. I noticed Jimmy climbing out too and my heart sped up. He was coming inside? Hopefully Trevor was gone, I didn't want him to start a fight. And hopefully he cleaned up a little. It was getting messy. Jimmy probably has his own maid and would look down on our place. “Iris?”

“Huh?” I blinked, seeing Jimmy giving me an odd look. Was it concern? Or was it pity? I couldn't tell.

“Are you okay? I can wait outside...”

“No, no. It’s fine.” What was I worried about? I was going to be in Jimmy’s house for the next five days, why not let him in for a few minutes? “C’mon. I’m not sure if anyone’s home or not.”

I trailed off as I unlocked the door, listening as we stepped inside. I definitely heard the usual sounds of Call of Duty in the background. I sighed, knowing Trevor would be upset if I didn't see him first. So I led Jimmy through our house until I reached the entertainment room. As I entered he abruptly exited the game and stood to smile widely at me. It faltered a bit, seeing Jimmy behind me, but he quickly attempted to cover it up again.

“Hey Iris. Welcome home,” Trevor greeted as he brought me into a hug. His voice didn't betray it and I couldn't see his face, but I knew he was trying to put unneeded emphasis on the word ‘home’. I parted, probably sooner than he had wanted, and smiled weakly at him.

“We’re just stopping by to get my things and then we’re heading out,” I announced. Trevor’s eyes flashed with annoyance but it never reached his face. He continued to smile and nodded to me.

“Dad told me. Mom said to call her before you leave.” Trevor turned to stared at Jimmy with a friendly smile. Inside I knew he wanted to scowl or glare, but he held in it. “Can I have a word Jimmy?”

“Trevor, don’t - ” I was cut short by Jimmy shaking his head and smiling at me.

“It’s fine Iris. I would like to speak with him too.” I frowned, looking back and forth between the two. They were both smiling at me as if they were old friends who wouldn't notice my few minutes of absence. “We'll be right down here if you need anything, okay?”

After a few moments I sighed, nodding. “Fine. I’ll be back soon.”

With that I left them, heading to my room. I took my time, unsure of how long their ‘talk’ would take. I pushed open my door and stared around my room, going through my mental list one last time to see if I forgotten anything. I placed my duffle bag on my bed, slipping my binder and music compilation folder into the bag too. I had to do stupid homework, or at least pretend to. Once I was sure I had everything, I pulled out my phone, dialing my mother.

“Hello Iris. I’m assuming Trevor passed my message?” Mom spoke when she answered the phone. I checked the time on my alarm clock to see that it was her lunch time.

“Yeah. What’s up?”

“I just wanted to say be good. And if you get too uncomfortable, Dad or I would be willing to come get you. I’m sure Trevor would too.”

“Mom, it won’t get that serious,” I moaned. Well, at least that’s what I hoped. If things would too heated for me, I didn't know what I would do.

“Well, did you grab your pills?”

“I will when I go downstairs,” I replied with a grimace. Of course she would remind me of that. I expected a text from her every morning to take my medicine. But, that was just my mother, the doctor. It was bound to happen.

“Good. And Iris?”

“Yeah?”

“Just remember that...no matter what happens, your father and I will always love you.” I let out a breath of air. I could feel my mom, the usually collected person, begin to crack. I knew she was terrified I would leave them and not take a second thought about it. It’s like they didn't know me whatsoever.

“I will too, Mom. Sorry, but I gotta go. We’re supposed to be having a late lunch with Jimmy’s friends so we need to head out,” I spoke as I slipped my duffle bag over my shoulder and heading out the door of my room.

“Oh, okay hon. We’ll see you next week. I love you.”

“Love you too.” With that I hung up as I began my quick descent to the first floor. I avoided the entertainment room, hearing soft murmurs of the two. At least Trevor didn't start a fight. In the kitchen I reached up, pulling down my pill container. I slipped it into my bag’s open pocket, zipping it shut as I placed it on the island. I plopped down on my stool and tapping my fingers on the tabletop.

It wasn't too long before Jimmy and Trevor stepped into the kitchen. I stood from my seat, looking back and forth between the two, causing Trevor to smile gently at me. “I didn't throw a fist, okay?”

“It wasn't a fist I was worried about,” I muttered.

“Don't worry. He was a mature adult,” Jimmy assured.

“Now I definitely know he did something stupid. Trevor doesn't act like a ‘mature adult’.”

“Gee, thanks Iris,” Trevor spoke sarcastically. He pulled me into a hug, kissing the top of my head. I frowned again, hugging him back. He was being much too affectionate. What had Jimmy said? What had he said? “Be careful Iris.”

“Of course I’ll be careful,” I remarked as I pushed back from him to look up at his face. My own was etched with confusion. “What does that even mean, ‘be careful’? I’ll be with Jimmy, it’s not like there’s any kind of danger or something. It’s not Call Of Duty.”

“Just because no one is shooting at you doesn't mean you’re not in danger. Just, shut up and let me feel like an older brother, okay?” Trevor sighed.

“Fine,” I spoke slowly, thinking over his words. Trevor thought I was in danger when there was no danger... Is he having one of his philosophical moments? I guess so, since it made no fucking sense. “Well, I’ll see you next week.”

“Have fun.” With that he kissed my cheek and Jimmy led us out of the house. After placing my duffle bag in the backseat and buckling in, Jimmy turned to me grinning.

“Ready to go?”

“You bet.” With that he started the car, revving it to life. He soon left the driveway and within a few minutes, we were on the highway. It wasn't until then I decided to ask the question burning on my tongue. “What did Trevor want to speak to you about?”

He glanced over at me before he slipped into the left lane. “Don’t worry about it. He just put his point across that he is your brother no matter what blood you have.”

“That’s not it, I know it’s not. What are you hiding from me?”

“I’m not hiding anything. He simply asked me to keep our conversation private and I’m complying to his wishes. Don’t worry Iris. It’s not important. Just know he had your best wishes at heart.”

“If you say so.”

With that we slipped into the music playing. I did believe Trevor had had good intentions, I just wasn't so sure he had executed them correctly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Outfit.

I'm sorry I haven't updated in a while and this one was short/terrible. It's the end of the school year and my high school career also. So the past two weeks have been full of projects, essays, and reviews. I am graduating Sunday so this weekend and the next week will probably be busy - not even mentioning the convention I'm going to and applying for jobs. So updating will be pretty hectic, but I'm hoping that once I get my life in control again, I will do so more often.

Thanks for being patient, you guys rock.