Status: Active

Lose Yourself

The Drive.

It's been nearly four months since I turned into a monster. To all of Oklahoma, I am dead.

"We've got to get moving if we're going to have any shot at a safe life." Kate threw her bag down onto the couch. "We're still within city district, I can't risk anyone seeing her."

"I'm right here." It's been a while. I've grown accustomed to my new lifestyle and my new family. If you could even call them that. They still talked about me like I wasn't in the room, especially Kate.

Her brown eyes narrowed, "I'm well aware."

I slouched further into the chair, rubbing my temple. She is such a pain.

"We better get moving then." Jev came around the corner with the keys to the truck in his hand. He also had a bag, no doubt filled with clothing and some dry food.

I peers over my shoulder at them, "Where are we going?"

"Washington? Like, DC?"

Kate scoffed, "As if. We're going to Forks." I nearly fell out of my chair. Who in their right mind wants to live in a town named Forks? "Go get you're bag, we'll be out in the car."

I threw a look in Kate's direction, which she hadn't saw. Nevertheless, I went to get my bag sitting in the other room. I was somewhat thankful that we were leaving this dump. I felt like the longer I stayed, the harder it was going to be to accept the fact that I had no life here anymore. I had no biological family, I had no home.

Currently, my home was a poor excuse for a mattress in the back of the Old Hitch house. This place burned to the ground seven years ago, they never bothered to rebuild over it. With that being said, a wave of chills rolled down my spine. The sooner we're gone, the easier it will be.

In a hurry, I shoved the few articles of clothing I had into my bag, along with the little amount of spending cash we get off our prey. $230 wasn't much, but it would be enough for now. With what little pride and courage I had, I followed behind Jev as he slammed the door.

Being the youngest and newest, I was obligated to sit in the back. The entire time I watched as all the familiar restaurants and stores rolled by in the glare of the moon. The streets I knew like the back of my hand, every shortcut and truth was now gone.

This life was one big lie. They didn't know the hard truth of reality—what monsters were lurking in the town.

I took a long moment to remember who I was. This was my life and it was taken from me in a matter of seconds. Now I could never return.

"What's in Forks?"

Kate glanced in the review mirror, "A pack."

"What?" Jev seemed to be as surprised as I was.

I sat upright, on edge, "Another pack? You mean.. there are more of us?"

She sighed, "Not exactly. They're called shape-shifters. Quite the opposite of us, actually."

Jev raised an eyebrow, "How so?"

Kate was quiet for a moment while she turned onto an open freeway, then replied. "They can willingly change themselves whenever—no full moon intended. They're also just like regular wolves, whereas we stand more on our back legs like an ape."

"They're exactly like any shape-shifter you'd read in a story." Jev stated, understanding what she meant. I was curious—what did it matter that there was a pack of shape-shifters in Forks?

She nodded her head, "We're in for a good 34 hour drive, get some rest. I need one of you to take over by tomorrow afternoon."

I wanted to reply. It wasn't like I was going to be able to sleep after hearing that, but I tried my best to stare at the lights illuminating the freeway. It was only a matter of time before they began to droop and close completely. I feel into what seemed to be the most restless sleep I'd experienced.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

We were coming close Tacoma when I woke up, eyes groggy with sleep. My head was pounding, blood throbbing behind my ears.

I needed to feed.

"Good morning, sleepy." Jev had his usual cheerful smile plastered across his young but defined face.

"My head hurts." I pressed gently on my temples, realizing that my mouth was dry.

He gestured quickly to the coffee sitting in the passenger cup holder. "I spiked it for you."

I thankfully sipped the warm liquid, moaning in pleasure.

He chuckled, "I thought you might need it. This is the longest you've gone without feeding, you're not doing bad."

"It's been three days."

He nodded, "Eventually you can get to a month and it'll only bother you a little." I had high doubts I could last that long without human blood.

"How long now?"

He contemplated, "About four hours, maybe three if we don't hit too much traffic."

I didn't know any other way to pass time. I wasn't like I could use any social media—not that I had a phone or laptop in my possession. The most I did during that time was lounge and stare out of the window, watching all the cars we passed. I counted colours, years, makes—if Jev had called out a car, I could tell you the year and the colour.

That was how I passed time.

It was nearly pitch black the moment we arrived at the house Kate had rented for us. Three things shocked me about this:

Kate actually rented a real house
She actually signed her name on the contract
The house was beautiful
On the outside, it would appear to be the house belonging to a family of four. It was nestled deeply into a grove, surrounded by nothing but trees. The driveway itself was fairly long, where from the main road you could faintly see the lights through the windows.

"Wow. You really went full out this time." Jev nodded, seeming to approve of her location. However, something told me that this wasn't just a rental.

I looked over at Kate, "So, how long do you plan on staying?"

She swallowed, "A while."

The inside of the house had proven to be just as beautiful as the outside. Hardwood floors, old Victorian rugs and couches, long chestnut tables, large windows that gave us all a view of green.

And green.

And more green.

Rooms weren't that much of a fuss over. It had been a while since any of us had slept in our own place, without the company of each other. I picked the one on the top floor, trying to not make it a big deal that I had in-fact the biggest room out of the three of us.

However, it was also the coldest. It wasn't as up to date as the rest of the house, the floors were a pale carpet with a rug, but the bed was rather short and thin, standing on four tall chestnut posts. The room was very feminine. There was a vanity with a little stool, a mirror, a dresser for my clothes, and two night tables on either side of the bed.

It also had two very long and large windows, both covered with curtains. No doubt to block the green..

I wasn't a fan of the colour choices, but Kate was generous enough to take me into her care and now bring me into a suitable home. The last thing I wanted to do was complain about the decor.

I was slowing taking into realization that this was my new home, with a new family.

I finally had a chance at a beautiful new beginning.