Remember Me

Waking Up

Beep...... Beep...... Beep......

That was the first thing that broke through the silence. It was annoying, high pitched, and just plain stupid. The second thing that really got me was how cold I was. I shouldn't be this cold, should I? Something, or somebody, was missing. The harder I tried to think up a face, the more it seemed to slip away.

Frustration was starting to boil in my blood. What was going on with me? Why couldn't I think of anyone? There had to be someone out there, right?

Dylan. A voice whispered in my head. Don't forget about Dylan. A small baby face flashed across my mind. My baby. My little Dylan. He needed me. But where was he? Where was I?

"Nurse!" A voice that sounded vaguely familiar called out. It was a sweet voice, one that shouldn't sound so anxious. At least, that's what it seemed like to me. "Come quick!" There were way more than one set of footsteps that came running into the room.

"What is it, Natalie? Is she having another nightmare?" One voice asked with quiet authority. I wasn't sure if I liked her. Already I knew that this Natalie person must care about me. A slightly sweaty hand grabbed mine and held it tightly. It wasn't painful, but it wasn't exactly comfortable.

"I'm not sure. I think she might be waking up. She whispered something. She hasn't done that with any of her other nightmares. That's a good sign, right?" Natalie spoke up again. There was so much hope in her voice that I felt happy. I wanted to speak to her, but I didn't know who she was.

"Ella? Are you awake? If you are can you please open your eyes, Ells? Please?" This was a new voice. A male one. His voice was rough, like he was holding something back. He obviously cared about someone. But who was Ella?

Dylan. Find Dylan! The voice shouted in my head. I couldn't ignore it this time. My eyes started to flutter open and the voices that had still been speaking silenced. I could literally feel their gazes latch onto my face before I saw them. I sat up slowly, wincing in pain that flashed across my back.

"Ella! You're okay! Thank God. You had us all so worried. Everyone will be so relieved that you're okay. They're all in the cafeteria right now, but they'll come back as soon as they know you're awake. Do you want me to call them now, or in a few minutes?" That was the male voice, this time. I ignored him. He was speaking to this Ella girl and I didn't know who she was. I looked at him quickly though, taking note of his nose ring and his messy brown hair. My eyes passed over a red-haired girl who had a bright smile on her face and turned to look at the lady I assumed was in charge here.

"Where's Dylan?" I asked her. There were questioning looks from everyone in the room. "Where's Dylan?" I asked again, slightly more hysterical. A stab of pain flashed across my back again but I ignored it. My baby needed me. He was more important than any pain.

"I'm sorry, Miss Carson, but I don't know who Dylan is. We can bring Brandon in if you'd like." She said, moving toward me and trying to get me to lay down again. I refused and sat up straighter.

"I don't want Brandon. I want Dylan. Where is he?" I demanded, angry this time. I didn't even know who the hell Brandon was. I didn't know who any of these people were, though they all shared a look. The boy and red-haired girl paled at my words.

"Miss Carson you really should lay down. We can adjust you're bed if you want, but you need to lay down." The nurse again pushed my shoulder down gently like I would just listen to her. I pushed her away this time and glared at her. Surprise lit up her emotions and she didn't bother to hide it.

"Ells? Are you okay?" The boy asked, taking my hand in his and squeezing it. I turned my glare on him this time and snatched my hand back. Hurt and shock crossed his face.

"Look. I don't know who this 'Ella' person is. I don't know who you people are and at this moment I could care less. All I want is Dylan and if he's not in here soon, I'm going to go find him." The beeping noise was the only thing I heard and it was starting to get annoying as well. "And can someone turn off that stupid beeping!"

The nurse was the first one too move. Kylie, as her name tag read, moved to a machine and turned off the beeping. Then she turned back to me with a serious expression on her face. "Miss Carson," she started, but I cut her off.

"I don't know who that is!" I snapped, getting even more impatient. Where was my baby? Was he okay? Why the hell would they take him away from me anyway?

She nodded and started over. "Miss, I need you to lie down. Your doctor will be in soon and I can go try to find this Dylan boy, but only if you lie down." I grumbled and laid back as she adjusted my bed for me.

"Are you going to bring Dylan in now?" I asked. She nodded and I sighed.

"What does he look like?" She asked cautiously.

"Brown hair, chubby cheeks, grey eyes. I don't know what he's wearing. He can talk now and is probably crying for me at this moment."

She was nodding along with what I was saying but looked up at me sharply during my last sentence. "He can talk now? Was he a mute before?"

This time I was the one who was confused. "A mute? No. He just started talking a few months ago I think."

The red-haired girl looked at me confused. "If he's not a mute then why would he just have started talking?" I recognized her voice as the sweet one. She must be Natalie. For some unknown reason I felt safe with her. Maybe she would find Dylan for me. "Unless..." Her eyes brightened with some kind of realization.

"Do you know where he is? Do you know where Dylan is?" I grabbed her hand in both of mine. She was my only hope.

Natalie nodded and looked at me. "He was the baby boy that was with you when you were brought in, wasn't he? The one who kept crying for his mommy?" The boy, who's name I still didn't know, and Kylie paled. I on the other hand felt just relief.

"Yes! Where is he? Can I see him? Please?" Nobody said anything, but Kylie left the room in a hurry. Where was she going? Did this mean I could see my baby now? What was going on? I turned back to the boy who had his head in his hands. Natalie was patting his back now, looking dazed.

"Are you guys alright?" Neither of them looked at me so I tried a different approach. Maybe if I spoke to the girl she would answer me. "Natalie?"

I felt a flash of triumph. They both raised their heads at her name. The boy looked pained, but Natalie looked hopeful. "You remember me?" The excitement in her voice was hard to miss. I shook my head sadly at her.

"Sorry. I heard you and the nurse talking and she said your name." Her face fell at that. "Anyway, are you guys alright? What's wrong?"

Natalie was the one who shook her head this time. "We'll explain later when Doctor Jordan comes in. I promise." I nodded my head at her. Time passed by agonizingly slow as we waited. The two other people in my room were talking in hushed tones so I couldn't hear them. Which was very annoying.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, we heard footsteps approaching my room. And not just footsteps. We also heard a stampede of voice talking over each other, demanding answers. Someone finally quieted them and a group of people walked into the room frowning. Another boy immediately shot over to the boy Natalie was comforting.

"Ian? What's wrong?" So the boy with the nose ring was named Ian. I guess that made sense. He kind of looked like an Ian in my opinion.

Ian looked up at the new guy and hugged him. "She doesn't remember us, Chris. She doesn't remember anything except for Dylan."

Chris, hugged Ian back and frowned. "Who's Dylan?" Natalie opened her mouth to talk, but that's when I heard a tiny voice from the doorway.

"Mommy! Mommy!" My head snapped up to look for my baby. Everyone was silent as the voice continued crying. "Mommy!" I finally spotted him, squirming in Kylie's arms. He was reaching for me, his tiny arms stretching towards me.

I smiled for the first time since waking up as she handed him to me. "Dylan, baby." I cooed in his ear. He smiled and snuggled up against me. "It's alright baby. Mommy's here." I smiled at him and kissed his head. My eyes closed and the panic I hadn't realized was there ebbed away. Dylan was okay and everything was fine.

Not really. You're missing some very key details, events, and people. I hid a frown at that little voice in my head. That couldn't be right. Dylan was here. He was the one that mattered. Right?

"I wuv you, Mommy."

"I love you too, baby." I smiled and ducked my head to kiss him again.

Someone cleared there throat, and I looked up, holding Dylan tighter. The room was now crowded with people. Some looked shocked, some looked upset, some looked curious, and some just looked pissed. The two people, who looked around thirty-five or forty, stepped forward. They were the angriest.

"Would you like to explain, Ella?" The lady asked, crossing her arms. Her hair was graying at the roots and it was shoulder length. I didn't like the way she was looking at me. Like I was the one who owed her an explanation. Hell, I was the one who woke up with people surrounding me, acting like I was 'Ella', while my baby was missing! If anything, they owe me.

"Mom, stop." Ian said at the same time I glared at the women standing by my bedside.

"First off, I don't have to explain jack to you. I don't know who you are or who Ella is. Second, if anything, you guys are the one who owe me. You're the strangers in my room who kept me away from my son. So somebody better start talking. Now."
♠ ♠ ♠
Meh... Not sure how I feel about it. Might re-write it. Who knows.