‹ Prequel: The HB in Charge

Like Lint

To War

The day before

Stifling. Hot. Too close. Too close. Why is she so close?!

Cassie shrugged out of Yvette's smothering arm loop, and hung back a little so she could walk beside Marley. Yvette being the little puppy that she is tried to hang back back as well, but Henri stopped her with a scathing look. The Queen Bee hated to walk into any place without at least one person by her side. She wanted people to always see her with her lowly court. If she was walking alone, she looked approachable. But surrounded by her 'subjects' she seemed out of reach.

"Wow, I didn't even know you two could be separated without the help of a surgeon, and a team of nurses." Marley quipped, trying to hide her injured pride. The poor girl (literally) had had the audacity of going head to head with Henri and then she had been humiliated when she couldn't pay for a cheap smoothie! Of course after awhile of watching her squirm, Henri had taken pity of her and paid the whole two dollars and forty five cents. Cassie of course had video taped the whole thing and placed it on YouTube.

"Yes, well someone had to comfort you, didn't they?" Cassie said pleasantly, and the other girl reddened.

It's not that she didn't like Marley, she did, she really did, but Marley had been witness to something that no one but Cassie and Yvette knew, and she had to be taken down a notch. Although it was really, Yvette's fault that Marley had been able to see it. If the girl wasn't so damn clingy, their relationship would have been kept a secret. But now, Henri's second in command knew and she needed a distraction. Or a demotion. Either one works.

* * *

Cassie was practically glowing. Henri has promoted her to second in command! Of course she had only gotten their at Marley's expense, but she quickly brushed that thought off. If the girl hadn't been so damn snotty earlier then she wouldn't have gotten demoted.

"Um...Hello? Earth to C!" Yvette snapped from beside her.

Cassie groaned inwardly and turned to face her secret 'lover'. "Hm?"

"I was saying that we should have a sleepover tomorrow." Yvette suggested, giving Cassie a playful nudge.

"We had a sleepover yesterday. And the day before that. And the day before that. In fact we're kind of having a sleepover right now." Cassie said, as she hopped off of the bed and shuffle towards her makeup station.

She liked Yvette, she really did. But the girl was insanely clingy! It was probably due to the fact that the only friend she had was Cassie, but still! The girl needed to get out more and do things independently.

"So? We like having sleepovers, right?" Yvette asked, sitting up.

If there was ever a time... Cassie thought, and turned to face her best friend and girlfriend. "No, Yvette. I liked our sleepovers. Past tense, noticed the -ed. But I mean, I like to do other things! I like to hang out with other people, and now that I'm Henry's second in command,"

"Now what?" Yvette interjected, narrowing her eyes and climbing off of her bed. "Now that you're Marley's replacement, you don't have time for me? Now that Henry is willing to give you the time of day, she's more important than me?" With every accusation her voice got higher and began to waver. Cassie recognized those signs.

The trembling almost squeaky voice, the wide eyes, the clenched fists.

Yvette was going to cry. Cassie had made her girlfriend cry.

"No! Y, come on you know what I mean! I just think you should be less...Clingy."
As soon as the words left her mouth, she knew that she had said the wrong thing.

"Clingy?! I'm clingy? So what? Are you saying that we're over?" Yvette demanded

"Over? No! Stop being so dramatic! I'm just asking you to give me some space!" Cassie yelled back.

"Space? That's what people say when they want to break up! Are we breaking up, Cassie?"

"I guess we are!"

Yvette stared at her best friend and girlfriend. "What?" She asked, her voice cracking in the middle.

Cassie stood to the side, shuffling her feet. "I said...I guess we are."

****
Of course the next day, they acted the same as they always did. If they had shown that they were upset with each other, drama bitch hounds like Henry would be all over them, and their secret would be out. So they put on fake faces, and sat side by side as they always did.

The best friends, Cassie and Yvette.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know the chapters are in the wrong order. That's how I've decided to write this story. Check out the prequel and you'll understand why.