‹ Prequel: (You Drive Me) Crazy
Sequel: Umbrella

Never Give Up on the Good Times

Say You'll Be There

I'm giving you everything, all that joy can bring this I swear. And all that I want from you is a promise you will be there.

Pittsburgh


Jordyn could hardly believe her luck. If it could go wrong, it had gone wrong. First it had been the flat tire on the side of the highway. Then it had been the missing spare tire. The hotel had messed up her reservations. Now was the news from Vaughn that she had decided to move in with Kris. Jordyn groaned.

"You're killing me, girl. Straight up killing me!"

"I'm sorry, Jordyn. But Kris is where I'm supposed to be."

"It's okay; I get it. I just don't know how I'll afford this place on my own."

"Afford what on your own?" Justin asked, slipping into the booth beside Jordyn. Kris and James accompanied him.

"The apartment I found. Apparently my roommate just bailed on me for sex hair."

Justin put an arm around Jordyn's shoulder and squeezed. "You can move in to my place," James suggested from across the table.

"That's nice of you to offer..."

"No buts, Jordyn. Just move in until you find something. I have a ton of space that I'm not using and you can come and go as you please. It's not a big deal. Think of it as a hotel with no maid service....and you have to bring your own furniture because there is nothing in the guest bedrooms."
Jordyn laughed. "All right, you've convinced me, Nealer. I'll move in with you. But I insist on paying something for rent." Justin sat stoically beside her and frowned but she didn't notice the change in his body language as he slipped his arm from around her.

James shook his head. "No you're not."

"Yes I am." Jordyn's voice was firm. "Even if its just buying the groceries each week, I'm contributing some way, some how."

He threw his hands up. "Okay, you win. We'll figure it out later."

"Good."

"You know this will make Quinn really happy. She'll come visit for no reason because its me and in the process make Geno smile. She does realize that all she has to do is say the word and that man would be in North Carolina, pack her up, and move her in with him, right?"

"Sometimes Quinn is completely oblivious to the looks men give her. I have to point them out. When it comes to Geno, I think she knows but refuses to say it out loud."

Jordyn checked out of the hotel the next day and with keys in hand, drove to James' house while the guys were at practice. With Vaughn's help, they moved all her boxes in and were just starting to move the pieces to her bed inside whe James, Kris, and Justin pulled up. They shooed the girls aside and carried the furniture inside and then set about putting it back together. Jordyn and Vaughn left them to it as they unpacked her clothes. Jordyn had just opened a box of knick knacks as they finished. Everyone left the room except Justin as Jordyn pulled out several framed photos and arranged them on her dresser.

"I love that one," Justin said, wrapping an arm around her and pointing at one of her, Quinn, and Piper standing outside Scrumptious Nibbles on the day of its opening. "You three look so happy."

"I can't believe I'm here and they're in Raleigh. Fuck, I can't believe I left Charlotte!"

He hugged her tightly. "Are you happy? With me, I mean."

"Of course I am. It's just weird. I'm used to waking up and Piper having breakfast made and Quinn being all bright and cheery."

"I could've made you breakfast," Justin pointed out. "Every day."

Jordyn sighed. "I need to do this on my own. I moved away from my whole life to start over here. I need some sort of independence in this."

Justin scoffed. "So you moved in with James? Yeah, that's independence for you."

"He offered me a cheap place to stay. Would you rather I had gotten a cheap apartment in the middle of god knows where?"

"I would've rather you moved in with me. That would've been cheap also. Instead you moved in with another guy."

"Is that what this is about? Because its a guy? You were fine when it was Vaughn."

"Actually, I wasn't fine with that either. I want you to live with me. I want to do this here together. I get it, Jordyn; you're an independent girl who comes and goes as she pleases and I'm cool with that. I love that about you; that you don't need constant validation in us, in me. You trust me and I trust you. It doesn't change the fact that you came here, for me, but not really with me because you won't live with me. You have no idea the things the guys said in the locker room since they found out you were moving in with James and not me."

"Justin, I'm sorry but I'm not ready to give up that part of me yet."

"You know what? That's fine. Call me when you are." He calmly walked from the room, down the stairs and out the front door. Vaughn stood at the bottom of the stairs and looked up at Jordyn, who stood frozen with her mouth open.

"Are you two okay?" She asked.

"I think he just broke up with me," Jordyn replied.

"Why in the hell are you just standing there? Quinn is going to kill you! Go after him!"

"I-" Jordyn faltered.

"Jordyn!" Vaughn said loudly, matching up the stairs to reach her. "Go after him!"

Jordyn made her way down the stairs and opened the front door. She closed it moments later. "He's gone. Shit."

Justin drove until he found a bar and pulled into the parking lot. He pulled his phone out and called Quinn.

"Hey bestie!" Quinn said brightly. "How are you? I miss you!"

"I miss you too Quinn. Man, I could really use you right now."

"What's wrong?"

"Everything."

"Is this about Jordyn?" Justin sighed heavily. "Ok, it's about Jordyn," Quinn continued. "What happened?"

"Just talk me out of going into a bar at one in the afternoon, please."

"Justin Peters! You can not get drunk in the middle of the day! Tell me what happened."

"She won't move in with me."

"You knew that before she left though."

"Yeah, when she was going to be living with Vaughn."

"She's not living with Vaughn? I'm so confused."

"Vaughn decided to live with Kris and Jordyn couldn't afford the apartment by herself....so she moved in with Nealer."

"She fucking did what?!" Quinn yelled. "She moved in with James?!"

"Apparently she hadn't told you yet."

"Uh no, she hadn't."

"We got into a fight about it. The guys were riding me hard after practice today about it."

"I bet."

"I told her when she was ready to be with me here and do this together to let me know and walked out."

"Oh Justin. I'm so sorry."

"It's not your fault Quinn but thanks."

"Do you want me to talk to her?"

"No; she's got to decide if this is it or not for herself."

Quinn sighed. "I don't like your plan. I want you guys to be happy, together. God I wish you were still here."

"Are you pouting?" Justin asked.

"Yes." Justin chuckled.

"I'm supposed to get my first start when we play at Buffalo. Are you going to come?"

"Does a bear shit in the woods?"

"Is Piper coming too?"

"Is that the 23rd?"'

"Yep."

"No; We play at home and Piper does not miss a game for anything."

"Chuckie gonna let you come?"

"I won't give him a choice."

"Good to know who wears the pants in your relationship."

"Was there ever any doubt?"

"Nope."

"All right, so I'm gonna plan on flying into Buffalo on the 22nd, rent a car and drive to Pittsburgh on the 24th and stay a few days with you there. Good?"

"Good. I will see you in less than a week."

"I can't wait!"

"Later Quinn."

"Oh hey, Justin?"

"Yeah?"

"Just give her time. She wants to be with you. She's just not used to the kind of relationship you're offering. But I know she loves you."

"You're a good friend, you know that?"

"Yeah, I know," Quinn giggled. "And don't go into the bar."

"I won't go into the bar. Talk to you later."

"Bye!"

~*~*~


"Justin!" Quinn squealed, running across the visitors locker room in Buffalo. She threw her arms around him and hugged him. "You were awesome! Amazing!"

"Thanks Quinn," he smiled.

"Ugh! You smell," she laughed. She buried her face in the crook of his neck. "Oh no wait! There's the Justin aroma I like."

"You are crazy," he chuckled. "Go say hi to Geno before he loses his mind." Quinn kissed his cheek and crossed the room to hug Geno. He said something to her and she laughed, holding onto his arm. She walked around him to hug James and then Sidney before walking back to Justin and sitting down beside him.

"Can you grab a late dinner with me?"

"Yeah, sure. Oh, that reminds me. I talked to coach and he said I can drive back to Pittsburgh with you, you know, if you want the company."

Quinn clapped excitedly. "Road trip! Yeah!"

"I'll meet you back at the hotel."

Quinn nodded and he kissed her cheek. "See you in a little bit."

Quinn crossed the hotel lobby and pulled her phone out.

"Hello?"

"Hey Jordyn."

"Quinn! What's up?"

"Not much. You?"'

"All good in Pittsburgh. Wait! This game is in overtime. Why are you calling me?"

"It went to overtime?! Damn. How's Zach playing?"

"How is Zach playing? Where the hell are you Quinn?!"

"Buffalo."

"Buffalo?!" Jordyn exploded. "Why are you in...you're with Justin aren't you?"

"Yes. He played tonight. Did you even know that?"

"No," Jordyn answered quietly.

"Jordyn! Are you serious? You didn't know?!"

"No, I didn't."

"You live with James!"

"We have an agreement not to talk about Justin or hockey in general."

"What?!?"

"I fucked up, Quinn."

"No kidding." Quinn sighed. "I'm coming to Pittsburgh."

"You are?"

"I am. Look, I'll be there tomorrow and we are going to fix this."

"We?"

"Justin might be my bestie but your my BFF forever, the bacon to my eggs. We're gonna fix it, I promise."

"Honey I'm home!" James yelled out, dropping his bags by the front door. He walked into the living room and dropped onto the couch beside Jordyn.

"Good trip?" Jordyn asked.

"Six out of eight points," he smiled. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Shoot."

"Um, did I miss something, with Quinn and Justin?"

"What do you mean?" Jordyn asked slowly.

"I mean are they, you know, together?"

"What?!"

"She was in Buffalo."

"I know. I talked to her last night."

"Oh. Its just, I saw her after the game and they were up late in the hotel bar together. I don't know; they seemed close."

"They're like best friends; of course they're close. And I'm glad she was there yesterday."

"He didn't fly back with the team. He drove with Quinn."

"Okay."

"Are you sure?"

"Positive," she replied tightly.

Jordyn waited in the lobby of Justin's building, pacing the carpet. She hadn't been able to get ahold of him or Quinn and James' words were beginning to bother her. Finally, she heard Quinn's giggle pierce the air. Her arm was linked through his and her fingers curled around him. She rolled her luggage behind her and Justin had his bag slung over his shoulder. As she laughed, she laid her head on his shoulder. The sight of them stopped Jordyn's pacing. Wrapped up in their own conversation, they didn't notice Jordyn until she called out Quinn's name sharply. They stopped and turned towards her voice

"Jordyn!" Quinn called out happily. She smiled and Jordyn frowned. She advanced on the pair quickly and without warning, slapped Quinn across the face.

"What the hell is wrong with you, Jordyn?" Justin yelled at her, dropping his bag and wrapping his arms around Quinn and pulling her to him protectivley in a hug.

"Fuck you. Fuck you both. You're a fucking bitch and a whore, Quinn."

"You need to leave," Justin said. "You need to leave now." Jordyn glared at the back of Quinn's head. Justin whispered to her and he let go of her, placing his keys in her hand. He grabbed Jordyn by the arm and walked her out of his building. He dropped her arm when they were out the door.
"What is your problem? That is your best friend in there and she's crying!"

"I didn't realize being best friends meant we were sharing a boy!"

"You really think something's going on between me and Quinn?" Justin laughed. "I love that girl but I'm not sleeping with her and you know it. I don't know what's got your panties in a twist but you're crazy. I love you and all Quinn wants is for us to be us. You're all I heard about the entire drive here from Buffalo."

"Why is she here?"

"Because I invited her to stay with me. I rented a place with two bedrooms, so Quinn and Piper would always have someplace to stay with us. Because I've never pictured my life in Pittsburgh without you except here we are! God damn it, Jordyn! All I want is you and you don't want me!" He turned away and walked towards the door.

"I want you," Jordyn said quietly. He stopped but didn't look back. "I want you," she said loudly. "I love you Justin."

"You have a funny way of showing it." Jordyn hung her head. Justin shook his head. "You need to apologize to Quinn."

"Fuck," Jordyn muttered. "What the hell is wrong with me?"

"I don't know." Jordyn groaned. "Come on," Justin said, taking Jordyn's hand in his. He led the way to his apartment and stopped at the door. "You gotta do this alone," Justin said, pushing him in the door and pulling it closed behind her.

Quinn was in the kitchen, digging through cabinets and let out a frustrated sigh. "I don't think you'll find what you need for baking here," Jordyn said quietly.

"What do you want?" Quinn said tersley.

"I'm sorry, Quinn. I'm such a bitch."

"Yeah you are. Me and Justin? Me and Justin?! Are you fucking kidding me, Jordyn?!"

"I'm sorry. I got jealous and out of hand and crazy. I know you and Justin aren't and that you'd never. I was out of line and I'm sorry."

Quinn sighed. "You're lucky I love you. Now do me a favor and fucking move in here with him already. Jesus! Put the man out of his misery."

Justin popped his head in the door. "I don't hear yelling so I need to make sure you're not killing each other," he said. He ventured inside and leaned against the wall between the girls.

"We're good," Quinn said.

"Can we talk for a second?" Jordyn said to Justin. He nodded and led her down the hall to his room. He looked at her expectantly.

"I was wondering if the offer still stood, for me to move in with you. Because I want to move in with you. I want to be in this together, a hundred percent."

He took a step towards her and ran his hands down her arms. "The offer never left the table," Justin replied. Jordyn hugged him.

"I should've moved in as soon as I got here."

"Yeah, you should have."

"Love you, Peters."
"I love you too, Jordyn."