‹ Prequel: (You Drive Me) Crazy
Sequel: Umbrella

Never Give Up on the Good Times

Something Kinda Funny

Happiness is just a state of your mind. Keep searching, who knows what you may find. Rules are for fools, and fool's paradise is hard to find. Play my game or get left behind.

Raleigh


It was early November and the Hurricanes were playing great hockey. Zac was playing on the second line and Piper couldn't have been happier for him. She smiled at the thought of her life. It was charmed, no doubt, and she was thankful for it everyday. She and Zac were living together and in a great place in their relationship, the nibble too had taken off in Raleigh, and she was enjoying the charity work she and some of the other WAGs took part in.

This day found her at the arena, leading a team of volunteers that hustled to set up for the calendar photo shoot for the local humane society. Piper was excited to take the pictures of the guys with some of the animals from the shelter. Tanya and Quinn were both on hand to help. Justin Faulk was first up and things started rolling. After Justin they did Eric and then Jordan. Heather waited on him, watching everything like a hawk. She tapped her foot impatiently and huffed when Quinn walked in to straighten his jersey. Jordan said something to her and she giggled in response. Heather pushed off the wall and walked into the middle of Piper's shot.

"Are you done yet?" Heather demanded to know. Quinn rolled her eyes and walked off to stand beside Tanya and Eric. Jordan looked to Piper.

"I need a few more frames," Piper said. Heather stomped away and Jordan shrugged helplessly.

"Sorry," he mouthed silently to Piper. She waved him off. It wasn't his fault Heather was a bitch.

"You're free," Piper announced ten minutes later.

"Thanks Piper; that was fun," Jordan said, giving her a hug. He waved to the others and set off to find his wife.

Quinn sat in the floor playing with a pair of puppies when Zach walked in for his turn in front of the camera. "Making friends?" He teased her. Quinn handed him the Affenpinscher. "This dog looks like a monkey."

"Be nice to George. He's sweet," Quinn said.

"His name is George? Like Curious George?"

"No, like Gorgeous George. Isn't he the cutest?"

"No, not really."

Quinn swatted his butt and nudged him forward. "Go take your pictures." He leaned down and kissed her and George pushed in between them. He barked at Zach and growled as menancingly as the little dog could muster.

"Somebody likes you," Tanya teased Quinn as Zach walked away with the dog. George squirmed in Zach's arm, whining and barking, trying to get down. Piper turned around and motioned for Quinn.
"Come stand up here and talk to George. Apparently you've got a doggy fan club," Piper said to her.
Quinn stood beside Piper and cooed at the little dog who perked up at her voice and settled down with Zach. When she was finished, Quinn walked over to Zach and sat in his lap, kissing him lightly as he put an arm around her waist. She took George from him and kissed the little dog. He licked her face and Quinn laughed as Piper snapped away. The little dog barked at Zach again when he kissed Quinn's cheek.

"Looks like you're getting a dog," Piper said to Zach.

"Looks like," Zach agreed with her.

Quinn squealed and threw an arm around Zach, holding George against her with the other. "Do you mean it, Chuckie? We can adopt George?"

"Do you want to adopt George?"

"Yes."

"Then we're adopting George."

"Georgie! You're gonna be a Boychuk. Oh my god! I wonder if I can get a little doggy Hurricanes shirsey made for him." George looked at Zach and licked his face.

"Now he likes me," Zach said.

"He loves you and so do I," Quinn smiled. "And if you score a goal tomorrow I'll kiss you in front of everyone in the locker room so they know how much."

Piper finished an hour later with Zac as the last player to photograph. As she packed up her things, he joined her to help him. "I heard Chuckie is adopting a dog."

Piper grinned. "I think George adopted them."

Quinn walked back in, carrying George. "What is that?" Zac asked, pointing at the dog.

"This is George. Georgie, this is Dalps. We like him." The dog barked, wagging his tail in response and Quinn turned to Piper. "I know I said we'd grab lunch but I need to get some things for George so Chuckie is taking us shopping. Rain check?"

Piper nodded and Quinn skipped from the room. "He's such a pushover. That dog is ugly," Zac commented.

"George is cute! And Zach isn't a pushover. He loves Quinn and will do anything to make her happy. It's sweet and they're adorable so shut it." Zac grabbed Piper around the waist and pulled her to him and kissed her hotly.

"You know what assertive Piper does to me," he said lowly. "It's a good thing you have a rain check on that lunch with Quinn," he winked at her.

The next night was a home game that the Hurricanes won. Quinn bounded into the locker room with Piper on her heels. She whistled when she caught sight of Zach wearing just his under amour and ran over to him. She threw her arms around him and her lips crashed into his. His arms went around her and he dipped her back. The guys whistled at them as Zach brought Quinn upright and they pulled apart.

"That was for your goal," Quinn said, tapping her finger to his nose.

"I hope I score every night," Zach said to her with a grin.

"Just wait until you see what you get for a hat trick," she whispered in his ear. He held her tighter and kissed the side of her neck.

"Excuse me, but some of the rest of us had goals too," Justin Faulk said with his hands on his hips from two stalls over. Quinn looked over her shoulder at him and giggled. She stepped out of Zach's arm and walked over to Justin, rocking up on tiptoe and kissing his cheek. He beamed down at her. "I'll never wash my cheek again," he swooned as he hugged her.

"Ahem," Eric Staal cleared his throat from across the room. Everyone's eyes swung in his direction. He looked at Quinn expectantly and tapped his finger to his own cheek. Quinn blushed and took a step towards Zach.

"Better not leave the captain hanging," Zach told her. He pushed her forward and she crossed the room. Eric grinned like the devil and Quinn looked to Tanya beside him. She smiled and nodded at Quinn. Her cheeks were red but she leaned forward on tiptoes and kissed Eric's cheek quickly. He put an arm around her and hugged her.

"You realize what you've started, right?" Eric teased.

"This was one time only," Quinn replied.

"Oh no, you're going to have to come down after every home game and reward us now. And we'll have to track goals on the road and you can pay up when we get back."

"I am not kissing this whole team," Quinn protested.

"Yes you are. Anyone that doesn't want in can say no and anyone you're not comfortable with you can veto."

"I veto everyone except Chuckie, Faulk, and Dalps then." The room laughed and Eric hugged her again before Quinn returned to Zach's side.

Everyone headed for a local bar, celebrating the win and to get a head start on enjoying the three day break in the schedule. Piper sat in Zac's lap and Quinn was dancing with Justin. Zach joked with the Staal brothers nearby. After several minutes, Quinn walked over and Zach put an arm around her, tucking her into his side as they continued to talk. She laughed at something Jordan said and then kissed Zach before walking with Jordan out to the dance floor. Zach came over and sat beside Piper and Zac.

"I hope you were never worried about Quinn making friends," Zac said to him.

"No; I knew I never had to worry about that. At least with the guys. The other girls though..."

"The ones that matter like her," Piper said. She grimaced when she saw Heather walk in. "This oughta be good," she remarked as Heather spotted Jordan and Quinn.

"When do I get my I my kiss?" Jordan teased her as they walked back.

Quinn laughed. "Get a goal first and we'll see blondie."

"Is gold digger going to be your first dance song when you and Boychuk get married?" Heather sneered, marching over towards Quinn and Jordan.

"Heather...." Jordan warned.

She glared at him before turning her icy stare back at Quinn. "You are nothing but a little puck bunny whore. Stay away from my husband," Heather said to Quinn loudly. She drew the attention of the others and Zach jumped up to reach Quinn.

"I'm sorry you're so insecure that you think everyone is after Jordan. I hate to break it to you but not everyone wants a piece of him," Quinn said. She pointed at Jordan. "Your man is, I admit, really hot." Jordan smirked. "But my man," Quinn continued, pointing at Zach who had just reached her side, "is gorgeous and makes my heart skip a beat. Jordan is a big, dumb blonde. He's pretty to look at, shiny like a toy, a play thing. Zach is everything I want and everything I need. He's the kind of man you can take home to meet your parents. You do not take Jordan home to meet your parents; he'd probably fuck your mom. They both want to show you a damn good time but Zach has substance. Jordan is just for show." Quinn stepped closer to Heather and lowered her voice so only Heather could hear her. "And I know I will never have to worry about where Zach is at night when they're on the road, hell, even when they're here at home. Because I have his heart and he has mine." She turned away from her and Zach followed her.

"Are you okay?" Zach asked, grabbing her arm to stop her once she had gotten several feet away.

"I'm great," Quinn answered. She paused and then exploded. "That girl is a mother fucking bitch! What the fuck?!"

Zach pulled her to him and kissed her. "Forget her. I know who you are; your friends know who you are and these guys know who you are. No one listens to her."

Heather stormed by them, glaring at Quinn as she went. "I'm really sorry, Quinn," Jordan said, walking up behind her and Zach. "I don't know what her problem is."

"Whatever, Jordan. You married a bitch. Quit apologizing for her and let her clean up her own messes."

He hugged her. "Leave Chuckie and run away with me."

"Standing right here," Zach reminded them with a smile and a shake of his head.

"What do you see in this guy anyways?" Jordan asked her.

"Great ass," Quinn answered. "And in case you weren't listening before, I'm hopelessly in love with him." Jordan chuckled.

"Don't mess up with her," Jordan warned Zach. "Otherwise someone will swoop in and steal her and I'll be first in line to try."

"You're not as cute as Chuckie," Quinn told him. "Plus, I'd run off with your brother before you."

"Jared?" Jordan pouted.

Quinn shook her head and giggled. "Marc," she answered. "What a pretty ginger," she sighed. '
"Oh lord," Zach said with a shake of his head. He wrapped his arm around Quinn's waist and pulled her into him. "Lets get out of here. I need to take you home and remind you why you love me best."

"Mmm, that sounds fantastic Mr. Boychuk," Quinn purred, rubbing against him. "See ya later, Jordan!" Quinn waved as Zach steered her out of the building.

"Why are all the good ones taken?" Jordan complained, taking a seat beside Piper and Zac. "First Jordyn, now Quinn. You," he said pointing at Piper.

"Me? I'm hardly your type," Piper giggled.

"Are you kidding? Have you looked in a mirror? First of all, you have great legs. You should wear mini skirts more often. Second of all, that pony tail. I want to wrap it around my hand and pull."

Zac opened his mouth to tell Jordan to lay off but before he could, Piper spoke up coyly. "Tell me more, Jordy." Her tone was light and teasing.

"Can't. Your boyfriends here."

"Get lost Zac. I want to hear about how much Jordy lusts for me." She winked at Jordan.

Jordan laughed. "Dalps, do you know what you're doing with this girl? Seems like she might be more than you know what to do with."

Zac tightened his hold on Piper and she giggled at Jordan who winked at her. "You couldn't handle me Staal," Piper told him. "I'm ten times the woman you're used to."

Jordan laughed. "Now I know she's too much for you, Dalpe. Come on, lets dance Piper." Piper beamed up at Jordan, who held his hand out to her. She placed hers in his and his fingers closed around hers. He pulled her to her feet and then put an arm around Piper's waist, guiding her out onto the dance floor with him.

Zac seethed silently as Jordan wrapped one of his large arms around Piper, holding her at the waist as they began to move. He watched as Jordan spoke to her and she spoke back to him, leaning her chest against his so she would be close to his ear, to be heard over the thumping music. He grimaced when she laughed with him and dug his cell phone out of his pocket and dialed.

"I know you saw us leave so this better be an emergency."

Zac sighed heavily. "I need Quinn," he said plainly.

He heard rustling and the phone changed hands. "What's up Dalps?" Quinn asked.

"It's Piper. She's...I think she's flirting with Jordan." He didn't mean for it but it came out as a whine.

Quinn laughed. "Yeah right. Piper doesn't flirt. God, I remember how awkward you two were. There was a lot of blushing."

"She's dancing with him."

"So? I danced with him. Besides, blushing and Piper's brand of flirting don't seem like Jordan's cup of tea. I'm sure he's just being nice."

"She flirted with him, Quinn. Look, can't you just call her, tell her the alarm is going off at the nibble and to take me to check it out? Please?" He knew he was begging and didn't care.

"All right, I'll call her. But when I want to kidnap Chuckie for a weekend, you have to babysit Georgie."

"Done!" He said in relief. "Thank you, Quinn."

"You're welcome, Zac. But I promise, you have nothing to worry about."

Eric and Tanya had invited the team and their respective others over for a barbecue the next afternoon and after a few drinks and a great meal, everyone was hanging out and talking. Piper had sat between Zac and Jordan during the meal, who had left Heather at home, claiming she wasn't feeling well. Quinn had sat across the table from her and watched her interact with Jordan and now, she watched Piper in the middle of a group of players, her head thrown back in laughter. She spied Zac watching from across the lawn. Quinn kissed Zach's cheek. "I'll be back," she said, patting his chest and heading towards him.

"Dalps, if you stare any harder, you're going to bore a hole in Faulk's head." She put an arm around him and gave him a hug. "She loves you."

"She's turning into you," he snapped.

"Wow, Dalps," Quinn said, taking a step back from him. "Really?"

"I'm sorry, Quinn. I didn't mean it like that." He sighed. "I'm sorry," he said again, hanging his head.

"Jesus, Zac. I can't take you all puppy dog eyes and sad face. Look, I'll talk to her, okay?"

"You don't have to do that, Quinn."

"Yeah I do. Because you're right, she is acting like me. I've always been a flirt though so no one thinks anything of it. Piper though isn't like that and no one needs to get the wrong idea about her."
Quinn crossed the yard and put her arm through Piper's. "Excuse me boys but I need to borrow her." She grabbed Piper's arm and didn't let go until they had reached the other side of the yard.

"You have to stop," Quinn scolded her.

"Stop what?" Piper asked.

"You can't flirt with all the guys on this team. It's not right."

"So you can flirt with them but I can't? That hardly seems fair."

"Piper, Zac called me last night. I sent you to the nibble too because he asked me too, because he saw you flirting with Jordan. He doesn't like it Piper and its not you."

She rolled her eyes. "If he doesn't like something I'm doing then he should talk to me, his girlfriend. Unless I missed the part where you were dating both of the Zac's."

"What is wrong with you Piper? Look, all I'm saying is that your behavior, which is very unlike you, is making your boyfriend upset. If you don't care about that, then maybe you should rethink your priorities."