Status: so hi guys

But, Dad...

It's Been A While

I laugh at whatever stupid joke Rose tells me. She definitely doesn’t take after her hilarious uncle, but she’s trying, and I’m not going to be mean. We don’t tend to sit next to each other in classes, as I get on her nerves from not paying attention and she gets on my nerves by answering every. Single. Question.

“Did you hear?” she asks suddenly, blue eyes bright. Her hair is bright red, much like most of the Weasley children. “We got a new DADA teacher. Apparently he’s here to stay. McGonagall won’t tell any of the students who it is, though.”

I frown. “I’m fairly sure there’s no such thing as a DADA teacher who actually stays for multiple years.”

Rose laughs obnoxiously at this, and we push our way into the large classroom. We have Defense Against the Dark Arts with the Ravenclaw fourth-years this year, which gives Rose plenty of competition for teacher’s pet in this class.

Taking a seat towards the back, I note that the boggart case has been moved from its corner of the room, and I’m suddenly afraid we might be working with it today. However, it isn’t in the center of the floor. Instead, I find myself looking at a skinny boy with long black hair and downcast green eyes flipping through a book behind the professor’s desk.

I open my mouth to say something, but my voice catches in my throat, so I just look away, flipping open my DADA: 4th Year book.

However, Rose seems not to have lost her voice at all. “Alby!” she shrieks, running over to her cousin and giving him a tight hug. The teenager looks shocked and then embarrassed, weakly hugging her back with a polite ‘hello.’

“Does this mean Uncle Harry is teaching DADA?!” she continues to squeal.

“Good Merlin, Rose, volume!” I snap, and her cousin sends me a grateful glance.

Then he freezes. “Scorpius?”

“It’s been a while,” I manage, smiling slightly.

“Yeah,” he breathes, and then Harry Potter walks in from the back office and smiles.

“Hello, fourth-years. I’m your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.”