Status: Writing

I Remember You

2

"Lauren, look at me. Please. Just look at me." she heard the familiar voice again.
"Who are you?" she asked, squinting into the darkness.
"You already know, Lauren. Please, just look." he said quietly.
A pale hand stretched out of the blackness.
She woke up to the sound of rain pattering on her roof. The sun was going down over the hills.
"I'm getting really sick of only being awake for two hours every single day." she said to herself.
She went downstairs and made some eggs, then sat in front of the TV and watched a movie.
"It starts with an 'M'." she said randomly.
"You're right." came the familiar voice from behind her.
The room started to get darker. She spun around and looked at the silhouette in the corner. Skinny, tall, and floating.
"Y-y-you. It's you." Lauren stuttered.
"You don't remember, do you? I've been trying to help you remember and you just don't. This is all my fault." the guy sighed, floating out of the shadows and into the glow of the kitchen light streaming in from the doorway, and slowly floated down, his feet finally touching the ground.
Tall, grey skin, black shaggy hair, and teeth like daggers. So familiar, but she was completely blank. She felt like her soul was trying to tell her something.
"I failed again." he sighed.
"Failed what?" she asked, standing up and walking towards him.
"You spent 16 years of your life with me. 16 years." he explained a little.
"16 years? But I remember the last 16 years of my life..." she ran her hands through her hair.
"The parts I let you remember." he chuckled a little to himself.
"What do you mean? What is your name?" she asked, getting defensive.
"Marshall. You know this, Lauren. And you know what I mean..." he sighed.
"Marshall..."
Saying his name gave her butterflies in her stomach that she couldn't describe.
The rain outside instantly stopped.
"I haven't heard you say my name in a year and a half, besides in my dreams of course. It still sounds just as beautiful." Marshall smiled finally.
"Please Marshall. Help me understand." she said, sitting down on the couch and patting the spot next to her.
He came over and sat down.
The rain started again.
"5 years ago, when we were 12, the world ended. Randomly, one spring day. We were sitting on the lake together. And I saw it coming towards us, and I transformed and wrapped myself around you, dragging you to the Nightosphere. We lived there together for a year, waiting out the end of all things, hoping that when we returned, everything would be the same. But it wasn't. Buildings were crumbled, fire littered everywhere, and it was complete anarchy and I watched you search for your family and friends, with no success. Every human we knew was dead. Except for Finn. We tried to rebuild, but you and him ended up sleeping for 6 months straight. I stayed by your side every night after working on your new future. Slept next to you, telling your seemingly lifeless body that everything was going to be okay every night before I drifted off into sleep. But it wasn't. Because when you woke up, you were different. You were changing. I realized that I had scratched you before taking you to the Nightosphere. You were turning." he explained, his eyes staring directly at her.
"You're a vampire." she said, gazing into his black eyes.
The rain started pounding on the roof.
"You were too. But not for long. They tried to kill you. After 3 and a half years of living peacefully in a new world we had created from chaos, they came for you. It started with my brother. He attacked you late one night when you were coming home from Finn and Jake's. We used to live here together. He jumped you a few minutes from the house. I heard you scream, and searched for you, only to find my own brother about to finish you off. I sent him back to the Nightosphere and took you home. But things only got worse. They came in groups, and one by one, I had to stop them." Marshall sighed, closing his eyes.
Thunder crashed and lightning poured from the skies.
"Why were they trying to kill me, Marshall?" she asked, putting her hand on top of his.
He felt her warm skin on his icy hand and shuttered.
"Because I was supposed to destroy you after the apocalypse. I was sent as a child to gain your trust and after the apocalypse, they wanted me to kill you. But when they told me my true intentions when I was ten, I refused. I had fallen in love with you. I had tried my best to protect you. You were the one who was destined to survive after the fire and chaos. So they wanted me to kill you after they destroyed everything. Their intentions were evil. But I had no part of me wanting to join them. So I protected you as long as I could. But eventually it started getting bad. So, to protect you, I learned from an old wizard in the forest how to erase minds and change you back into a human. After months of learning behind your back, I erased their intentions from their minds, and made an exhausting trip back to you, where I used the rest of my energy to destroy your memory of me, and then, turn you human again. It was all my fault. I had to go in order for you to be happy. I ended up drifting off towards a swamp after laying you in bed, and passing out for three days." he finished his story, closing his eyes. A single tear ran from his right eye as the wind outside picked up, and the storm got worse.
"Marshall, I remember you now. I remember it all." she squeezed his hand and reached up and wiped the tear from his cold cheek. As she did this, the storm stopped.
"You're 18 now. My family has no recollection of you. I hoped for a year and a half that when this day would come, that you would understand. I love you. I've loved you for 8 years. I've known you for 18. A year and a half felt like a lifetime without you." he sighed.
"Take me away. Tell me stories. Take me to that place. The last place we were together before the anarchy." she said, standing up with her hand in his.