Status: New story! :)

New Beginnings

Preface

"Damn," I squashed the cancer stick between the toe of my shoe and the cement, taking a deep breath. I had to remember that I wasn't Quinn right now. I was Ella.

Ella was the nice girl. The girl who wanted everyone to be happy. She was the one who was pushed around by everyone, who took everything awful. From her "best friend", from her mom.
Quinn was different. Quinn was everything Ella wanted to be but couldn't. She was the fire from inside, she was the real Ella screaming to come out. She wasn't easy to push around, she had a mind of her own/

But in this moment I had to remember that I was Ella, not Quinn. I couldn't smoke because I knew the backlash I'd get from my mom. I knew what type of response I'd get at this family gathering, and it wasn't going to be a good one.
With another deep breath I straightened my top and walked through the doors of my mom's fancy building.
In the year that I'd been gone, she'd found a new boyfriend. Together they lived in a nice big penthouse suite. It was my chance to see how wonderful her life was, and most likely, to hear about how wonderful my ex-best friend's life had become.

That's the thing about my mother.
You'd think she'd be rooting for me, her only daughter. But that was not the case. She opted to keep in touch with the person I used to think had my best interests in mind. She liked my old best friend more than she liked me. Funny.

My heels clicked against the newly placed tile as I made my way to the elevator. I smiled brightly at all who passed, just like I should. I pressed the plastic button to choose the floor level, 9, and the heavy doors shut behind me. Sighing, I popped a piece of mint gum into my mouth.

I was definitely nervous, there was no denying that. But still, As Ella Quinn Jenner, I was happy to be seeing my mom, especially since she'd seemed so overjoyed over the phone.

At least, I should be.

But for some unknown reason, the feelings that used to come so easy, weren't coming easy.
If I were being Quinn James, rough and tough Californian, this wouldn't be a problem for me. Only I was being Ella Quinn Jenner, sweet little nothing girl from Portland, Oregon. To not feel happiness over my own mother's joy was an odd thing for me.

__

"Ella!" My mother seemed more than excited when I knocked on the door. She threw it open, pulling me into a soft, yet extremely tight, hug. She kissed the side of my head before pulling back and smiling. "I've missed you sweetheart! Never leave me again!" I laughed awkwardly as she ushered me through her home, sitting me down in the kitchen.

"Hello again Ella. Nice to finally meet you in person." Robert, the man my mother had fallen head over heels for, greeted me with a friendly smile and a kiss to the cheek. Robert and I were no strangers via Skype, but this was my first time meeting him in person. I appreciated this man like no get out. He was the only person I carried over from my old life. The only person who'd ever helped me since I moved away.

"Hey Rob." I grinned, taking a seat on a bar stool.

"Don't distract from Ella, dear! Now, how have things been since you left?"

This question baffled me, and for a moment, I had to ask myself if the woman speaking to me was really my mother.

Awkward.
♠ ♠ ♠
Set up for the rest of the story! :)