Slip and Fall

Chapter One

Allie puts her book on the bleacher and stands as Michael comes rushing over, almost tripping over his untied sneakers.

"Hey, Tiger! Slow down," she cautions, catching the boy as he dives forward. "Where'd all this energy come from?"

"Allie Cat! Allie Cat!" Michael chants, pulling on her sweatshirt with a bright smile. "Can we stay for the game that's - the game next?" He's tripping over his words with excitement, bubbling.

Allie leans down and pulls on his laces, tying them up. "I don't know, Tiger. It's getting late."

"Please?" he asks, and when she stands again he makes grabby hands to be picked up.

"Why such an interest?" she questions, eyebrows rising at him when he's settled on her hip. "Haven't you already seen tons?"

"Yeah but the Ice Holes are playing!" he says, clapping his hands together. "You know they're my favorite team."

Allie sighs, "Oh, I know they are Tiger." She glances back down at the bleachers, eyeing her book. She has a good four chapters left; it wouldn't kill her to stay, to finish up her reading while Michael watches the game. She knows he’d get absorbed in the game and wouldn’t bother her, but at home she’d probably have to end up watching The Aristocats with him again. Not that she minded the movie – she loved it actually. It was just that she already watched it three times this week.

"Please Allie," he pouts, exaggerating his bottom lip. "Please, please!"

Allie smiles at him, and stands Michael on the bleachers. "You can't complain later then, when you have to finish your homework in the morning."

Michael gives her a grin that's worth everything, and settles down on the bleachers next to her bag. "Thanks Allie Cat."

Allie ruffles his hair and sits next to him. She hums a response, watching his eyes glaze over with happiness as he looks at the rink and the players warming up. She sends her own glance over to the ice, before she settles back and opens her book again.

-

“Allie! Allie Cat, we’re winning!” Michael beams, jumping up from where he was slumped at her side. The small crowed cheers, and Michael claps. “Allie, if the defense holds up we could do this!”

Allie gives Michael a small smile and turns her eyes to the ice. The players are getting into position again, getting ready for the face off.

“That’s great, Michael,” she says and looks back at her book.

“Allie,” Michael says, his voice soft. She looks at him and his brown eyes are glowing, and he’s biting his bottom lip. “Allie can I go tell them good job?” He points to where the team is sitting, a couple rows down on in front of the bleachers.

“If you want, Tiger,” Allie responds.

Michael giggles and makes his way down to the players. Allie watches as he slows when he gets closer, as he takes tentative steps closer to the ice. He stops, and even though his back is to her she can see him take a deep breath to relax himself. He doesn’t look back though, so she stays put. Michael starts up again, and waves when he reaches the players. One of them notices Michael, and he turns to wave back.

“Good job,” Michael says. “You guys are doing good.”

The player, number ten, flashes a smile and replies, “Thanks little man.”

“You guys practice a lot?” Michael asks, and Allie can see him straining to keep the guy’s attention. She can see him with a hopeful smile. She can see him bouncing on the balls of his feet.

“Yeah, at least once a week,” the guy answers. He steals a glance at the ice and turns back to Michael. “You got a jersey on. You play?”

Michael steps closer to the bench, a smile spreading across his face. “Yeah, me and my team had practice today!”

“How’d it go?”

“Amazing! We played against each other and I scored.” Michael get’s distracted and starts cheering for the team when the wingman gets a clear shot at the net. The opposing team stops the shot, but Michael yells encouragement anyways.

The player who was talking to Michael taps the man sitting next to him. “Hey, Ryan. Meet my friend up here,” he says, pointing to Michael, who is beaming.

“’Sup?” the other player asks, lifting his head in a greeting.

“He scored a goal today at his team’s practice,” number ten says.

The other player, Ryan, smiles and nods his head in acknowledgment. “That’s amazing.”

“Thanks,” Michael blushes. He turns back to Allie, and she can see how happy he is. She waves at him and he looks back at the players. “I should go sit back with Allie Cat,” he says, pointing to Allie a couple rows back.

“Aw, all right,” number ten says. “See you next game maybe?”

“Really?” Michael asks, gawking.

The player shrugs his shoulders. “Why not?”

“Cool!” Michael giggles. “Keep up the good work guys!” he adds, and then runs back up to Allie.