Slip and Fall

Chapter Three

Allie drops Michael off at school, and stands outside with a circle of moms as she waits for the bell to ring to make sure he gets inside. They don’t notice her, as per usual. She just stands at the edge, catching blurbs of their conversations.

“Well my daughter said that one of the teachers looks pregnant.”

“Oh, well Jonathan actually likes the art class they’re taking.”

“Should we set the kids up for a play date?”


The bell rings, and Allie watches as Michael climbs up the stairs with his friends. They are all talking animatedly, with wild hand gestures and bright eyes. She smiles to herself, and is about to leave when someone catches her arm. She turns, and the mom of Michael’s friend, Carrie, is smiling at her.

“Allie!” Carrie grins, pulling her into a hug. “I haven’t seen you since Halloween!”

Allie returns the hug, and pulls back to say, “Yeah well…Michael keeps me busy.”

Carrie scrunches up her face, the corners of her green eyes crinkling. She fixes her headband, and clicks her tongue. “Sharon really needs to step up to the plate and take care of her own son.”

Allie shrugs, “I don’t know. She’s always busy with work, and she does spend time with him when she can…”

Carrie gives Allie a pointed look. “Allie, really. Your Aunt Sharon is ruining her life by missing out on raising a wonderful kid. Not to mention she’s ruining yours by making you babysit him twenty-four seven.”

Allie replies, “But I love Michael. He’s not ruining my life.”

Carrie laughs. “Oh Allie! When was the last time you went out? Hung out with friends your age? Talked to a boy?”

Allie crosses her arms. “I’ll have you know I talked to two boys yesterday.” Carrie grins, and Allie rolls her eyes. For being thirty-two, Carrie sure does act ten years younger.

“What were they like?” she asks.

“I don’t know, boys? I met them at Michael’s hockey practice,” Allie says indifferently.

“Does this make them hockey players then? I bet they were cute!”

Allie sighs, “Oh stop,” but she can’t hide her blush. “Maybe just a little, you know... good looking.”

Carrie grabs Allie’s hands and demands, “Well next time we run into each other, you best have a full report on these hockey players. I want you to have fun with your life Allie; you’re twenty-three years old! That’s too young to be a mom.”

Allie smiles gratefully and says, “Thank you, Carrie.”

Carrie gives her a wicked grin and adds, “But if they’re both cute I’m going to Michael’s next practice with you. Double date?”

“Stop,” Allie laughs. “I don’t even know them!”

Carrie looks thoughtful. “Yes…we need to work on that.” She winks, and checks her watch, then curses, “Oh shit. I’m late for my hair appointment. See you soon! And remember, full report!”

Carrie walks away and leaves Allie shaking her head, rolling her eyes with a grin.

-

Allie lets her hand drag across the spines of the books. She reads the names quickly until she reaches the author she wanted. She pulls out Lullaby and reads the back cover; glad she decided to take a quick stop in the library before she ran her errands. She’s wanted to read this for weeks, but every time she checked the shelf it was out.

When she opens to the first few pages a voice carries over from the end of the aisle. She snaps her head up, and looks in the direction it came from.

“I really, really recommend Invisible Monsters. It’s honestly his best piece of work.”

Allie recognizes the man when he steps closer. It’s one of the hockey players, and she mentally curses herself for forgetting his name. “Well,” she says, meeting his soft brown eyes, “I want to read this one first.”

He steps closer and leans against the shelf. “But have you even picked Invisible Monsters up yet? Read the summary?”

Allie stares at him with hard eyes. He’s wearing the same thing from yesterday, except now he’s wearing an amused smile. She’d smile back if he wasn’t so demanding.

“Look, I should really go…” she says.

He looks her up and down, and smirks, “You’re afraid to talk to me.”

Allie huffs and tucks her hair behind her ears. “I just don’t know you, and I’d been setting a bad example for Michael if I talked-”

“If you talked to strangers,” he interrupts, nodding his head. “Well, I don’t see Michael around.”

“Yes, but if you practice bad habits you end up playing them.”

He gives Allie a cocky grin, but doesn’t twist her words like she expected. He just says, “Alright, you win. Just remember in the game of life everyone’s a stranger until you get to know them.”

Allie stops herself from rolling her eyes, but she gives him a fake smile. He makes a gesture as if to tip up an imaginary hat, and he saunters away.
♠ ♠ ♠
How do we like the characters so far?