Slip and Fall

Chapter Four

“He’s arrogant,” Allie says to Carrie, while they wait for the school to let out. “He’s arrogant and annoying.”

Carrie sighs, “Now, Allie. That’s being judgmental. Maybe he just has a hard time conversing with people he doesn’t really know.”

“I’d be perfectly happy if I never had to converse with him again,” Allie remarks, folding her arms across her chest. “He was so demanding; it was horrible.”

Carrie mimics Allie’s stance, and with a stern voice says, “Now you listen to me. I rarely like thinking about my age, but right now I am going to use it against you. I have more experience in this field, and you know it. So when I say you should give him a chance, I really think you should.”

“But-”

“No, Allie listen. He sounds perfect, and you’re only bashing him because he told you what to do. But think about this! You talked to him in the library, Allie! The library! And you admitted he was good looking, so how many good looking men do you ever run into at the library? Not to mention, he was suggesting a book by an author you already like! I don’t see the problem.”

“His attitude was the problem,” Allie huffs.

“Which brings me back to my point, meaning he’s probably just awkward, much like you. I’m almost positive you didn’t come off so happy-cheery, either,” Carrie argues. “He was probably just trying to get you to actually talk with him.”

Allie stands there, thinking about it. She really doesn’t want Carrie to be right. Not about this.

As the school bell rings Carrie sighs. She places her hand on Allie’s shoulder and says, “Well if you won’t try to get to know him, at least let me set you up.”

Allie snaps her eyes to Carrie. “On a blind date?” she asks, partly horrified.

“Exactly,” Carrie answers.

Allie turns away, looking for Michael in the crowd of children. She seem him with Carrie’s son, Thomas, as the two are making their way towards them. “I don’t have a choice do I?”

Carrie laughs then, and replies, “No, you don’t.”

-

Michael settles down to do his homework, and Allie checks his hockey schedule, praying that he had a game the next day. When nothing shows up on the calendar she lets out an aggravated sigh.

“You angry, Allie?” Michael asks, switching crayons. He bites his lip in concentration, trying to stay in the lines of the picture.

“A little, Tiger,” Allie says, standing up from her laptop to open the fridge. She pulls out a juice box and hands it to Michael.

“Did you lose your bookmark again?” Michael asks, looking up at her with a small, playful smile.

Allie laughs, “No. I was just hoping you had hockey so I didn’t have to go out tomorrow.”

Michael unwraps his straw and pokes it in the top of the box. “Where are you going?’

“Out with some guy Thomas’ mom knows,” Allie sighs, and takes a seat across from Michael.

He takes a sip and then asks, “You don’t want to?”

“Not really, I’d much rather stay home with you.”

Michael grins. “Oh, Allie! We have show-and-tell in class next week, and Miss Burns said we have to bring in a picture of someone we like, like a hero.”

“Someone you admire?” Allie asks, grinning.

“Yep,” Michael smiles. “And I want to get a picture with Tom, and maybe Ryan. Can we do it? Please Allie!”

Allie resists the urge to scowl, knowing full well that Michael wants a picture with them, all because they’re hockey players. She ruffles his hair, and against her better judgment, promises, “If we run into them at the rink you can.”

Michael cheers and picks up a crayon. “And Allie?”

“Yeah, Tiger?”

“Do you think Tom likes The Aristocats?” he asks, looking up at her with serious eyes. “Because then he can be like Thomas O’Malley!”

Allie lets out a giggle. “Next time you see him, remember to ask.”

“I hope he does, Allie Cat,” Michael wishes. “I really, really, really hope he does.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Note: If you have not seen The Aristocats, please do watch it. I'll be referencing it sometime in the upcoming chapters.