The Pros and Cons of Breathing

Part 13

Gerard’s POV

I put my husband into a coma.

I killed my husband.

He’s never going to wake up.

And it’s all my fault.

“Sir, if you could sign this?” A doctor asked me. I hadn’t been told anything yet. I was alone because the guys were in America. They didn’t know Frank was in the hospital, probably in a coma. They thought we were here because of our baby.

Bert’s baby.

My baby.

Whose baby was it?

“What is it?” I asked, wiping my eyes.

“A release form.”

“Release form?” I sniffed.

“Your boyfriend will be ready to go home shortly.” The doctor said. “He has some extensive bruising and will be sore, but he should be fine. Are you sure you don’t want that cut above your eye checked out?”

“No, I’m fine… you mean he isn’t in a coma?”

“I’m not his doctor but from what I saw he was very much awake.”

“TAKE THE FUCKING BRAT! I DON’T WANT HER! I NEVER WANTED HER!”

I whipped my head to look at a woman in grungy looking clothes, thrusting a small girl at a nurse.

“Ma’am—.”

“No questions policy, bitch! Take the damn girl!” the woman shrieked. “Here’s the damn birth certificate and ID card. Now just take her!”

The woman turned and ran, leaving the little black haired girl crying for her mommy.

“Oh my god…” I whispered, looking at her.

“Another one. That’s the third one this week.” The doctor next to me sighed.

“I’ll take her.” I said instantly.

“What?”

“I… can we speak in private?” I asked.

The doctor led me to a break room.

“My husband and I tried to adopt but… we had a bad past. The artificial insemination blew up in our faces and… we want a baby.”

“You were rejected by an agency?” the doctor repeated. “Why?”

“I used to have a drug and alcohol addiction and I’m clinically depressed. Frank also tried to kill himself 3 years ago.” I sighed. “But it doesn’t matter because we would be much better than that woman and we want a baby so bad.”

The doctor looked at me. “I’ll see if we can whip up the paper work. This will have to be kept quiet, sir.”

“Can I see Frankie?” I asked.

“Yes. I’ll go see to the papers. He’s in room 604B down that hallway.”

I ran, looking for the hallway. Frank was sitting up in bed, talking to a doctor. When the doctor saw me he excused himself momentarily to check on a new patient.

“Frank, we have a girl!” I said excitedly, approaching him and brushing back his hair from his green eyes. “Someone just abandoned her and the doctor is getting the paperwork now.”

“What?” Frank asked. “I can’t understand you. I’m drugged.”

“A woman just left a little girl here, Frankie. I told the doctor and if he can find the papers we’re going to adopt him. I don’t even know if it’s legal, but…”

“We’ve got a baby?” Frank whispered.

“She’s older than a baby, but yes.” I said, pressing my lips to his.

He smiled into my lips and kissed back.

The other doctor came in with the paper work and a woman in a suit.

“Do you two promise you will take very good care of this little girl? We could lose our jobs if this goes awry.”

“We promise.” I said, looking at her.

“She’s three years old and her name is Annabelle. Her last name will be what yours is, which ever you chose.” The woman said after a few moments of silence. “Her birthday is May 3rd and she has asthma.”

“My brother has asthma.” I said. “I know how to take care of it.”

She nodded, and then looked at Frank. “Are you are okay with this, sir?”

Frankie nodded, smiling. “Is this legal?”

“Technically, yes. We are able to find suitable parents. We’ll just… skip the background check, yes? No harm, no foul.”

“Should we meet her first?”

“It isn’t necessary, unless you would like to.” The woman said. “It will go much quicker if we do this now though. Your doctor still needs to finish talking about your condition with you, sir.”

We both listened to the woman intently.




7 Hours Later…
Frank’s POV

Apparently since I hit my head I was expected to have black outs. The doctor doesn’t believe I’m at risk for a coma, but he says I will suffer black outs for about a week.

She’s beautiful.

Not the doctor. Annabelle. She was dirty when I first saw her, but she was given a bath by a nurse. She’s got pretty and curly black hair and startling blue eyes. She’s very quiet and keeps crying for her mommy.

She fell asleep on the drive home. We were at the hospital until about thirty minutes ago, filling out tons and tons of paperwork. We were taught certain things, told others, and told we could not leave the country for at least five weeks until the paper work was all sent through and okayed by the proper people. It was unlikely, however, that she would be taken away from us.

We don’t have anything for her, so Gerard reluctantly went to buy things. He didn’t want to leave me alone like I am (I’ve already blacked out twice since I first saw him), but we really had no choice. Now she’s on the couch sleeping with a small blanket on her. Her cheeks are chubby and rosy and she was sucking on her thumb. I brushed some hair out of her face and smiled down at her. Her blue eyes opened and she sat up, looking at me shyly.

“Hi. Are you hungry?” I asked her quietly.

“Where’s mommy?” she asked.

I smiled sadly at her. “I don’t know. Are you hungry or thirsty?”

She shook her head and laid back down, sucking her thumb.

“Are you shy?” I asked.

She looked at me, blushing.

“I was shy too when I was your age.” I said thoughtfully. She sat up and scooted to the edge of the seat. “Can I sit with you?”

She nodded and I sat down, then she curled into me still sucking her thumb. Then she looked up shyly at me. “Are you and the ubber guy my new daddies?”

“Uh… yeah.”

“And where is mummy?”

“I don’t know, sweetie.” I said.

“I want my mummy.” She sniffed, tears filling her eyes. “Where’s my mummy?”

What could I tell her? Her mom had deserted her at a hospital and we’d taken her home like some puppy? I’d expected a baby who wouldn’t know the difference, not a toddler who would always remember two weird guys just taking her home.

“Mummy didn’t want Annabelle. Daddy didn’t want mummy.” She sniffed.

“I want you and so does Gerard.” I whispered, rubbing her back. “Why don’t you get some sleep now, okay?”

She nodded and drifted to sleep. I fell asleep soon after…

Gerard’s POV

When I got home Frankie and Annabelle were sleeping together, curled on our couch. They looked so precious together and I smiled, and then took the groceries up. It was by now morning (Yes, it really took me that long. 5 hours. But, in my defense, I was driving Frank’s car and had to get groceries, baby clothes, food, and all that good shit. Even a bed. I still probably didn’t have the right stuff. We had stuff for a baby, not a toddler.

I sighed and sat at the table, then felt arms wrap around me.

“Hey, babe.” I whispered.

“Hi.” Frank giggled and sat in my lap, nuzzling me.

I looked at him, even beautiful with his bruised and slightly cut up face. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” He smiled.

“I’m sorry about last nig—hello.”

Little Annabelle was standing in the door way, eyes wide. “I didn’t mean to!”

“What’s wrong?” I asked.

“I couldn’t find the potty.” She began to cry. “I’m sorry. Please don’t hit me. “

Both Frank and I rushed forward.

“We won’t hurt you.” Frank said quietly, hugging her.

“I didn’t mean to.” She cried.

“I’m gonna run you a bath and Gee’s gonna show you all of your new clothes, okay?” Frank said, playing with her curls.

She nodded, sniffing, and looked at me. I smiled and extended my hand. Man, this felt awkward. She isn’t a baby. She can, like, understand me. She can talk back and be as uncomfortable as I am, apparently.

“If you don’t like them we can get you new ones.” I said, showing her all of her new things. She grabbed a small teddy bear and held it close to her chest, smiling. “You like it?”

She nodded. “Thank you.”

“You don’t have to thank me, sweetie.” I said, sitting down and pulling her on me. I didn’t care if I got pee on myself. I cuddled her close. “No one is ever going to hurt you here, okay?”

We had been told that her family had been reported several times for abuse and neglect before leaving the hospital as well.

She gave a small nod and hugged her teddy bear. She was no longer even sniffing and had her head rested on my chest.

“Let’s go see if Frankie got your bath ran yet, huh?”

She nodded and got off of me. “I can see where the potty is?”

“I’ll show you where both of them are.” I said, smiling and standing.

“There are more than one?” she asked, eyes wide. “Why?”

“I dunno.” I shrugged. “I guess we pee a lot.”

She giggled quietly and it was the most adorable thing I had ever heard. I gave a quick tour of the house, then led her to Frankie who helped her undress.

“I have two younger sisters.” Frank told her. “They’re seven and eight. Gerard has a younger brother too. He’s twenty two.”

“Wow. He’s old!” she gasped.

“Gerard’s twenty six.” Frank laughed.

She giggled quietly and climbed into the water. “That means he’s really old.”

“It does.” Frank laughed, grinning at me.

“I’m gonna get you.” I teased, sitting on the floor.

“Soon maybe Gerard’s brother will come over.”

“Can he bring Beauty and the Beast?” she asked adorably.

“I love her already.” Frank gasped, hugging her close to him. “She knows Cinderella sucks.”

Annabelle scrunched her nose up. “I no like Cinderellie. Belle’s prettier and her name is close to mine.”

“Cinderella is awful.” I gasped.

Annabelle giggled and splashed, getting water on me and Frank. Of course we splashed back and had a good time…

Frank’s POV
A Month Later…

“Wow, she’s beautiful.” Ray whispered.

“Look at her hair.” Bob said.

“She’s three?” Mikey asked.

“Yeah. Don’t wake her up though. Once she’s up she’s up.” I said, leading them out of Annabelle’s room. All five of us gathered in the living room, me in Gee’s lap.

“So… is she still shy around you guys?” Mikey asked.

“Not really… she’s still scared though. Like if she accidentally doesn’t make it to the bathroom she’s afraid we’ll—… hit her.”

“Hit her?” Ray asked.

“Her old parents weren’t great.” I said, anger seeping through me.

“Does she call you guys dad?” Bob asked.

“No. She goes ‘You, da blonde one’ or ‘you, da black one’.” Gerard laughed. “She did call Frankie dumb ass once though because she heard me saying it.”

There was the sound of padding down the hallway and Annabelle, clad in the most adorable little kid pajamas you had ever seen, came shyly into the room. She looked at Mikey, Ray, and Bob and then to me and Gee.

“C’mere, sweetie.” I said, climbing off of Gerard’s lap. She came over and reached up. Once she was up she snuggled in-between Gerard and I. “This is Mikey, Ray, and Bob. Remember we told you they’d be here?”

“Uh-huh.” She nodded shyly, glancing at them.

“Hi.” Ray waved. She giggled adorably and hid underneath Gee’s arm.

“She’s too cute.” Ray stated.

I pulled her out from under Gerard, laughing. “That one is Ray. The one with the big hair.”

“Me!” Ray waved again.

“Don’t scare her yet.” Bob snorted.

“That’s Bob. He’s the only natural blonde, unlike Gee.”

“Hey!” Gerard laughed, swatting.

“And the one is glasses. Remember who he is? We showed you pictures.”

“Mikey.” She whispered.

“Who?” Gee asked, tickling her side.

“Mikey.” She giggled.

Mikey waved. “Hi, Annabelle.”

“That’s me.” Annabelle stated, then turned to Gerard. “I’m hungry, Daddy.”

Gerard stared at her, blinking, a few minutes. “What, sweetie?”

“I’m hungry, Daddy.” She repeated.

Gerard nodded and took her into the kitchen.

“She called him Daddy!” Ray exclaimed.

“Is she gonna start calling you Mummy or Daddy?” Bob asked curiously.

“She called him Daddy, she called him Daddy!” Ray did a little jig in his seat.

“Could you act straight for one minute?” Mikey laughed.

Ray shook his head.

A few minutes later a grinning Gerard and a eating Annabelle came in. She was munching on crackers, getting crumbs all over the carpet. She went over and sat by Mikey, who was all alone in his recliner chair. Bob and Ray were on the love seat.

“Are you lonely?” she asked.

“No. Are you?”

“I’ve got you.” She said, holding out a cracker with slobber on it. “Want it?”

“No, thank you. It’s yours.” Mikey smiled.

“Okay.” She put it back in her mouth and cuddled up to him. “You’re comfy.”

“Thanks.” Mikey said, still smiling.

“You’re very welcome, Mikey.” She said. “I’m gonna go see my ubber new friends.”

“Okay.” Mikey laughed as she stood and made her way to Bob and Ray.

“Help please.” She said.

Bob looked at me as if asking my permission.

“Go for it.” I shrugged.

Bob lifted her and sat her in-between Ray and himself.

“Your hair is poofy.” She giggled to Ray.

“I know.” Ray grinned.

“Can I touch it?” she asked.

“Sure.” Ray bent down and she petted his hair, giggling.

“Your name is Bob?” she asked.

“No. I’m Ray. That’s Bob.”

She turned to Bob. “Hi, Bob.”

“Hey.” Bob waved, looking awkward.

“Do you have to go poopy? Sometimes when I have to go poopy I look like that too. I can show you where the potty is. We have two!”

“Erm… I’m fine, thanks.”

“Okay. But don’t go poopy on yourself cause that isn’t statuary.”

“Sanitary.” I laughed.

“Yeah. That isn’t Paptuary.”

“Okay, baby.”

“I’m gonna go see my Daddies. Goodbye, boys.”

I stood and scooped her up, blowing a raspberry on her belly.

“So, is it legal yet?” Bob asked Gee. Mikey was watching me and Annabelle, smiling kind of sadly.

“Got the certificate yesterday. As of now she is Annabelle Marie Iero-Way.”

“And such a pretty name it is!” I cooed, kissing on Annabelle.

“Hehehe. Daddy.” She giggled.

“I love you so much.” I cooed to her, putting my nose against hers.

“Daddy stinky.” She giggled.

“I took a shower, thank you. That might be your smelly butt.”

“Nuh-uh.” She shook her head, pressing our noses together. “That must be your smelly brain.”

“My brain isn’t smelly. It’s made of skittles.” I kissed her cheek and threw her a little into the air, then caught her. She laid on my chest.

“Yummy. I want some skittles, Daddy.”

“We’ll have to go get some then won’t me?”

“Oh no.” Ray said as Annabelle and I were walking in search of the skittles. “She’s like him, isn’t she?”

“How so?” Gee asked.

“They’re both addicted to skittles. The next tour is going to be very interesting.”

Gerard’s POV
Several Months Later…

“I’m going with yous too, Uncle Mikey. And Daddy and Daddy are going too. And so is Ray and Bob.”

“Are they now?” Mikey laughed. Everyone was busy putting stuff in our tour bus (mainly what was left was Annabelle’s stuff now) and Mikey had been given babysitting duty.

“Uh-huh. And... and… and… And daddy said that we’re gonna have skittles and see lots of people. And I get to see my Daddy sing and my Daddy play and my Uncle Mikey play geektar and Ray play the geektar and Bob play the drums.” Annabelle said, nodding knowingly. Her long black curly hair was in a pony tail and she had on some shorts and a child’s size My Chemical Romance t-shirt. That I designed. But not for little kids… but whatever. It’s too cute on her.

“And what is our band called again?” I called as I handed Ray a box of her toys.

“Daddy’s ickle romance.”

“No. My Chemical Romance.”

“That’s what I said, Daddy.” She giggled.

“Yeah, Gee.” Mikey laughed. “That’s what she said.”

“Daddy says that on the bus they has Harry Potter! And Beauty and the Beast! And—and Flubber! And the Chipmunks. Cause Bob bought me the Chipmunks! And you got me Beauty’s Christmas and Ray got me Flubber because he likes the green goo!”

Mikey laughed again.

“But Daddy says we can’t watch Barney or else he’ll turn into a bat and eat someone. That isn’t good.”

“No it isn’t.” Mikey kissed the top of her head.

“Barney’s awful!” Frank cried. “Teletubies too. And I will never watch the Wiggles again.”

“They aren’t that bad.” Ray said.

“Finished!” Bob announced.

“Can I play now, Daddy?”

“For a few minutes.” I said, scooping her up. She giggled and kicked. I set her down and chased her around the yard.

“No, Daddy! Bad!” she cried as I scooped her up.

“Play time over. We’re gonna watch Belle.”

“Like me right, Daddy? Her name is Belle and my name is Annabelle. I like my name, Daddy.”

“I like your name too.” I kissed her rosy cheek.

“Will Bob watch it with me, Daddy?” she asked.

“You’ll have to ask him, sweetie.” I sat her down on the inside of the bus. She shrieked and ran down the hallway.

“BOB?!” she shrieked.

He poked his head out from his bunk. “Right here, hon.”

She shrieked happily and ran to him. “Where is the seatbelts?”

“We don’t have any.” Bob said.

“But Daddy says to always wear one.” Annabelle insisted. “Daddy, there is no seatbelts!”

Frank poked his head in. “That’s why we have to be still, huh? When the bus is moving we can run up and down the hallway.”

“What if I’d got to pee, Daddy?”

“Then you tell someone and we’ll take you.”

“Okay, Daddy. Where’s Beauty? Bob is going to watch it with me.”

“He is?” Frank asked.

She turned and looked at Bob with big blue eyes and a pout plastered on her face. “Please, Bob?”

“Okay.” Bob sighed.

“Thanks.” Frank mouthed, handing Bob the portable DVD player. We had an actual TV but we preferred to keep Annabelle in a bunk as much as possible when we were on the road.

Bob turned on the movie and within minutes we heard gasping an giggling from Annabelle.

“It’s the beast! He’s scary!” Annabelle practically screamed.

“That’s why the Chipmunks are better. Alvin is awesome.” Bob said.

“Nu-uh. Belle is pretty and like me. When I grow up I’m gonna be Belle.”

“And marry a beast?”

“Uh-huh and be a princess. Daddy says I’m already a spoiled princess though so I am halfway there. Bob, will you be my beast?”

“I don’t know how much my girlfriend would like that.”

“Oh… okay.”

The bus was silent again, until fifteen minutes later Annabelle began to speak.

“Gaston isn’t very nice. And how come all the girls sit on his arm, Bob? Can you fit three ladies on your arm?”

“She’s very talkative.” Ray said.

“Don’t pick on my baby.” Frankie pouted, sitting on my lap. I kissed the top of his head, smiling.

“Oh no! They is bad, Bobby! They is bad!”

“Fuck that scared me.” Mikey gasped, startling away from his nap.

“The riot.” Gerard and I said together. We’d been through this several times and knew when to expect our daughter to talk.

About thirty minutes later the movie ended.

“She’s coming!” Bob yelled.

Annabelle took off running down the hall towards us. I scooped her up. “Hey, Anna.”

“Hi Daddy. That’s not my full name.”

“I know, Annabelle Marie.”

“Hehe. That’s too much name. When do we meet the other boys?”

“Davey, Jade, Hunter, and Adam?” I asked.

“Uh-huh.” Annabelle nodded.

“In a few hours.”

“Okay.” Annabelle rested her head on Frank’s thigh and fell asleep.

A Few Hours Later…
Frank’s POV

“Hey, guys.” I waved.

“How’s your head feeling after the wreck? Still blacking out?” Davey asked me, hugging me.

“Not so much.” I answered, hugging back. I still had hold of Annabelle’s hand. Since checking in with the police she’d been attached to my hip, obviously scared.

“And who is this?” Davey bent down. “What’s your name, sweetie?”

She looked at him with wide blue eyes. I fingered her curls. “Tell him your name, Bella.”

Bella was my nickname for her (Very ironic because of our song but hey. Irony amuses me) and Anna is Gee’s nickname. You think she’d be confused but she isn’t.

“Ready for Warped tour?” Jade announced, running in. “Ooh, the baby. She isn’t a baby.”

“Shh!” Davey glared at Jade. “My name is Davey. What’s yours?”

“Do you have a name? I do. Mine is Jade.” Jade said hyperly, kneeling down by Bella.

“Anna, what’s your name?” Gee asked, coming up.

“They scary, Daddy.” Bella whispered.

“And I’m not?” Gerard laughed. “Tell them your name. If there mean I’ll eat them.”

“Annabelle.” She whispered.

“That’s a pretty name.” Davey smiled.

She smiled back at him, and then buried her head in my leg.

“Ready for Warped?” Jade asked us.

“So ready Eddy Eddy.” Gee said, hugging Jade and Davey.

“I want a hug, Daddy!” Annabelle whined.

“Oh, you do? Well come here, sweetie.”

She adorably ran into his arms, then giggled and snuggled into him.

“I want Ray-Ray, daddy.”

“Ray’s right down there. Do you see him?”

She nodded and took off running towards Ray.

Later that Day…
Dinner Time…
Still Frank’s POV

The guys, Bella, and I all planned to meet AFI for dinner on their tour bus. Mainly because ours is scattered with toys. We got there around nine (Not the best eating time for Bella, but hey. Today is the beginning of crazy days. And we haven’t even performed yet.) and everyone piled onto the bus to eat pizza. Bella was seated in-between Ray and Jade on the floor while everyone else sat where ever they could find a seat.

“My daddy says your hot.” Bella said to Jade and I felt myself flush. “But I’m not supposed to say that because then daddy will get mad.”

“Oh really?” Jade grinned. “Which daddy?”

“Da dark one.” She nodded. “Right, Daddy?”

“Huh?” I choked out.

“You think Jade is hot. You told Uncle Mikey earlier when I was getting my bath. Remember? Do you remember, Uncle Mikey?”

“I can’t lie to her.” Mikey moaned. “I remember, sweetie.”

“Aw, rats.”

“So you think I’m sexy?” Jade grinned.

“Well I also think Adam is sexy and Geoff is kinda hot and Davey is. Who else? Matt aint bad looking and Brian’s pretty damn hot. Billie Joe is in a whole other fucking category.” I said. “But I’ve got Gerard…. Whom is too busy stuffing himself to be aware that I’m talking.”

“I agree completely.” Gerard said, sticking a pepperoni in his mouth.

“HAHAHA!” Annabelle laughed. “Daddy’s funny!”

Gerard’s POV

I was walking down the parking lot where Warped Tour was taking place, looking for somewhere to by Anna a water. She was walking with me and holding my hand, squealing at random things.

“Stay close, babe. There are a lot of people out here.”

“I know, Daddy.” She said, stopping. I turned to look at her and she grinned slyly. “Hello.”

“Yes, baby?”

“Carry Annabelle, Daddy Retard.”

“Oh, so nice to daddy.” I scooped her up.

“Daddy’s name is retard.” She said, touching my face. I pretended to eat her fingers and she giggled.

“Let’s find Anna some food so Daddy doesn’t kill me.” I said, pulling her towards a booth. Of course there was no food so I got her a bottle of water (the girl gave it to me for free since I’m in a band. Mwahaha.)

Annabelle reached got it and began gulping it down, then spilled some down her tank top and giggled.

“Gotta pee or poopy?” I asked her.

“Not yet, Daddy. Go see Daddy now?”

Wow, how we know which Daddy she is talking about is amazing. The poor guys, though, have no idea. Especially since all the blonde dye is out of my hair and she can’t sat ‘da blonde one’ anymore. Now she calls me Daddy Retard though. Remind me to kill Bob, by the way.

“Okay, we’ll go find Frankie.” I said, putting the cap back on her water bottle.

“Is hot here, Daddy. I want to go home.”

“It’s only the first day of the tour, babe.” I laughed.

“I want Daddy. Daddy take me home.”

“No he won’t. We can’t, babe.”

She nuzzled me then looked at me with an adorable pout. “Please, Daddy?”

“You want to leave me and Frankie?”

She quickly shook her head. “We all go away-way Daddy. You and me and Daddy and Bob and Mikey and Ray-Ray and sexy Jade and Davey and Geoff and Adam and—.”

“Woah, woah. That’s half of the line up there, baby!”

“We get big castle like Belle’s and we all live together, daddy. It’ll be a sleep over forever.”

“Yeah and we’ll invite the unicorns too.” I snorted.

Her eyes lit up. “Really?”

“Babe, you know they aren’t real.”

“If you tape a sticky-thing to a horses head they are.” She insisted. “Daddy, I’m hungry. I want a hamburger.”

“Okay, we’ll get to the bus.”

“I see Daddy?”

“He should be on there.”

“He play the geektar?”

“Guitar.”

“The geektar, I know.” She smiled at me.

“I love you, Anna.”

“I love you too, Retard.”

Frank’s POV

“DADDY DADDY DADDY DADDY DADDY!”

I could hear her before Gerard had even opened the door. He stepped onto the bus, set Bella down, and she ran towards me. She tripped halfway there over her own feet and fell to the ground. Gee, Mikey, Ray, and I ran towards her.

“Don’t cry.” Ray cooed.

She sat up and began to giggle. “Everyone loves Annabelle.”

“Oh, what a big girl.” I scooped her up. “Not even crying when you fall.”

“I fell?” she asked.

“Yeah.”

“Oh…” Tears filled her blue eyes. “My knee hurts, Daddy!”

Gerard rolled his eyes, but he was smirking. “Daddy’s girl.”

“Oh, my poor baby!” I cooed.

“Frankie is definitely the mother in this relationship.” Mikey said.

I glared and kissed Annabelle’s nose. “I love you, sweetie.”

“It’s all better, Daddy.” She hopped up and skipped off towards mine and Gerard’s bunk, where she’d been sleeping lately. Sometimes the three of us curled in there, others one of us stayed with her while the other slept on the couch, and others both Gee and I slept on the couch while she took the whole bed.

“Are you napping, hun?” Gee called.

“Shh! Yes, Daddy!” she glared and climbed into the bunk. “Bobby read me a story.”

Bob sighed.

“You know you love it.” I whispered, grinning.

“You better be glad she’s cute.” Bob muttered.

“I wanna read the Princess and the Pauper, Bobby!”

“Bob’s familiar with that one!” Ray snorted.

“Am not.” Bob muttered.

“Are so.”

“Am not.”

“Are so.”

“BOBBY! I AM WAITING!”

“She’s been living with these guys way too long!” Bob laughed.

“BOBBY!”

Bob ran towards the bunk quickly so she didn’t begin to cry.

“That’s gonna be one spoiled brat in a years time. You do know that right, Frankie?” Gee asked me.

I grinned. “She is a princess after all. Go feed your hamsters.”

“Hamsters?” Annabelle poked her head out of the bunk. She was now seated on Bob’s lap. “Can I, Daddy? Can I help? Please? I’m a big girl, Daddy. I’m big big big! See, I’m this big!” she outstretched her arms.

“Sure, kid.” Gerard laughed.

“Francesca, I’m coming! And Skippy, Lucius, and Christina Ricci Jr too!”

“Did you really name the girl Christina Ricci Jr?” Mikey arched his eyebrow.

“Of course.” Gerard said smugly, getting hamster food.

“I help Daddy. Annabelle help feed the hamsters.” Annabelle said excitedly, almost tripping Gerard by hanging on his leg.

“Okay, babe.” Gerard laughed.

“I help?”

“If you don’t knock me over.” Gerard kneeled down by the cage, which was somehow fastened to a table.

“I no knock Daddy over then. I help.”

“Sit down.”

She sat down on her knees. “I get the food bowl, daddy?”

“Be careful. Lucius bites.”

“I know, Daddy.” She giggled and opened the cage door with Gerard’s help. “Daddy, I opened the door!” she ran towards me excitedly and hugged me. “See, I’m a big girl!”

“Are you?” I kissed her cheek. “Go help Gee.”

She ran back towards Gerard, giggling. She slid to a stop and stuck her hand in the cage. “Bad boys no bite Annabelle. She is a princess and no likes to be bitten. My daddy will suck your blood.”

Gerard rolled his eyes. “Why do all kids, even my own, assume I’ll suck people’s blood?”

“Just the look.” Bob shrugged.

“Daddy, Francesca is on the bowl!” she cried.

“Tap her and she’ll move.”

“I scared.” She sniffed. “She bites.”

“She won’t bite, baby.”

She poked Francesca and she ran to the other side of the cage.

“Funny hamster.” Annabelle giggled.

Gerard laughed. “Get the bowl, sweetie.”

She picked up the bowl carefully, spilling all of the food that was left over on the floor of the bus. “Here, Daddy. I’ll pick it up.” She dropped the bowl and bent over to pick up the pellets.

“This is too cute to watch.” I muttered to Mikey, who laughed.

Annabelle picked up one pellet, marched to the other side of the bus, and threw it in the trashcan. This continued five times with one pellet per time until she collapsed on me panting. “I tired, Daddy.”

“Gee can finish, babe. Let’s have Bob read your story and then you can take your nap.”

“I like Bob.” She yawned and let me carry her to Bob. Bob laid by her and we could hear him quietly reading her Barbie book to her.

Gerard cleaned her mess (it went much quicker seeing as he picked up more than one pellet at a time.) and took care of the cage. By time he was done Annabelle was sleeping and Bob had retreated from the bunk.

“I think Bella’s falling in love with Bob.” I told Gerard.

Gerard grinned at Bob, then laughed…