The Pros and Cons of Breathing

Part 14

No One’s POV

The little girl ran off of the bus, giggling at her newfound freedom. It would be minutes before either of her daddy’s found out she was missing.

She ran down the steps and gained pace, then ran straight into someone. She fell flat on her butt, then stood and looked up at the man. He had shoulder length long and oily hair and appeared rough looking. He yanked her by her wrist and shoved her back towards the bus.

“Watch where you’re going, you little brat!” he sneered.

“I-I’m sorry.” The little girl’s blue eyes filled with tears.

“Anna?” she heard her daddy calling.

“Annabelle?” her other daddy yelled and a man ran outside.

“Annabelle, you know to stay on the b—.” the man with short hair that had run off the bus looked at the man with long hair. His green eyes widened in horror and he looked like he could collapse.

“Pretty Boy….” The man with long hair’s face turned into a sick grin.

“Stay—stay away, Bert.” ‘Pretty Boy’ stuttered.

“I can’t do that, Frank.” Bert grinned.

“Leave me alone.” Frank pleaded.

Bert’s grin only grew, causing Annabelle to cry harder.

Another man with longer hair and fading dye came out of the bus. “Was Anna out here, Frankie?”

He saw Frank looking at Bert, and then looked as well.

“Get the fuck away from us!” he suddenly shouted shielding Annabelle and Frank.

“Gerard, nice to see you’ve gotten yourself a family. Something else to screw up. Your father raped you, right? Raped this little one yet? You like them younger, right?”

“I’ll fucking kill you!” Gerard screamed, running at Bert. He shoved him to the ground and the two began throwing punches.

Poor Annabelle gasped and began to shriek as well as cry, trying to run towards her daddy and help. Frank turned and grabbed her, then turned to yell: “RAY, BOB, MIKEY!” and then he turned to his daughter. “Get on the bus, Bella.”

“Daddy’s hurt!” Annabelle cried, trying to break free.

Ray, Bob, and Mikey ran out. Ray and Bob ran towards Gerard and Bert while Mikey grabbed Annabelle and took her onto the bus. Frank stood, glued, where he was.

A small crowd had gathered by time not only Ray and Bob, but four other guys, were able to pull the two apart. Among the four were Adam and Matt from Taking Back Sunday, Sonny from From First To Last, and Hunter from AFI.

“I’ll fucking kill you!” Gerard yelled as Ray, Bob, and Hunter dragged him towards the bus.

Frank’s POV

I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to see Jade.

“C’mon, Frank. Let’s go inside.”

I allowed Jade to lead me onto the bus. Annabelle was crying in a corner, face red and breathing hard. Mikey was with her, looking worried.

Ray and Bob were sitting, blocking Gerard from running off of the bus. Hunter had gone out for something or another.

“Just let me go to my fucking daughter.” Gee moaned, pushing past them and walking to Bella. She started crying harder, shaking her head. “Anna, sweetie… can I have a hug?”

She shook her head, still crying. I approached them and scooped Bella up. She clung to me, crying.

“Baby, it’s Daddy. He isn’t gonna hurt you.” I whispered.

Annabelle cried a few more minutes, then slowly reached for Gerard. Gerard carefully and gently took her, then sat down on the couch and rocked her.

“I’ll never hurt you or your daddy, Anna. I promise.” He whispered into her curls. “Never, ever. You are always going to be safe with me.”

She nodded, sniffling. “Mean man hurt Daddy?”

“I’m fine.” Gerard said, still whispering. “Don’t worry about Daddy.”

“Daddy scared me.” She sniffed, touching Gerard’s cheek.

“I’m so sorry.”

I smiled and watched them. It was amazing to watch them because they had a connection. I was kind of jealous of it. I knew when she was a teenager she would always go to Gerard with her problems. They had a beautiful thing going for them.

“Maybe Bella should take a nap.” I quietly suggested to Gerard.

Gee nodded and put Annabelle in our bunk. “Want Bob to read you a story?”

“Uh-huh. Bob read me Sleeping Beauty?” she sniffed.

“I’ll go get him now.” Gerard said, then went to find Bob. Bob, now the designated “bedtime reader” came in to do his daily duty. He didn’t even bother to grumble anymore and everyone knows he loves reading to her, whether he will admit it or not.

Gerard and I stepped off of the bus, glad that the crowd had dispersed.

“I didn’t think he was on the line up yet. I thought he was here the last two weeks.” I whispered.

“Me too. I don’t know what the fuck is going on, Frank.” Gerard sighed.

“I don’t believe you just attacked him. Here, c’mere. You’ve got a cut over your eye. Let me get the first aid kit.” I said, heading in. “Ray, toss me the first aid kit.”

“Please?” Ray teased.

“Peas and taters?” I grinned adorably at him and he handed me the box.

I went to Gerard and sat him in a chair that Mikey had left out earlier.

“I’m fine, Frank.”

“Let me baby you for once.” I grumbled, pulling up another chair.

“I shouldn’t have done that in front of Anna. I know what her parents were like and I still—I just snapped.”

“We’re all fine, Gee. She was a little scared at first but she’s fine now.”

“What did he fucking say to you?”

“The usual.”

“He’ll try to do it again, Frank. I hate to bring all of this terrible stuff up but he will. Given the chance, he’d rape you again.”

“I know.” I sighed, cleaning the cut over his eyes. “But what can we do? Security knows what happened after last time. You saw all the people rushing forward to help today. This is perfect, actually.”

“What?” Gee scoffed.

“Not him being back. The people. Look, Jade and I were talking. Everyone hates Bert. He got Athena pregnant and left her. Now she’s a single mom. Or will be once the baby is here. He raped me and got away with it. Anyway, Jade says that everyone hates him. He said that everyone is looking out for me and the baby. Bert won’t hurt you. You’ll kick his fucking ass.”

Gerard sighed. “I hate this, Frank. They said the last two fucking weeks and we’d be gone by then in England. This isn’t how it was supposed to fucking work!”

“Gerard, I know. I know, baby.” I held his face in my hands and kissed him. “But we are okay. We’re gonna be fine and nothing bad is going to happen because everything bad that could happen to us has already happened? See? Things have been looking up ever since we got Bella. And that isn’t gonna change.”

“Now you’re making me into the pessimistic one, Frankie. I just can’t see you in the hospital again, so… Frank, that was hard. I can’t do it again.”

I pressed my lips to his again and hugged him close, kissing his cheek. “I love you, Gerard Way.”

“I love you too, Frankie.” His arms returned the hug. “So much it hurts.”

Gerard’s POV

The fucking punk. How dare he do something like that in front of my daughter? No, I’m not talking the fight. I don’t give a shit about that. How dare he grab my Frankie to him like that.

That’s what he did. We were going to get supper when Bert, in front of everybody, grabbed Frank and kissed him passionately, sliding his hands down his pants. Mikey quickly made Anna look away and I ripped Frank away from him, but the damage was done.

He had a) proven he wasn’t done with Frankie and b) raised questions from my daughter. Like: “Daddy, why did the mean man touch you there?” or “Daddy, are you two men supposed to do that?” and “Daddy, isn’t it wrong to like another man? Are you and daddy being bad?” or “Daddy, why don’t I have a mommy?” It’s like when she got one question, she got forty!

I don’t know what I’m going to do but he’s been here one day and I’m ready to strangle him.

Three Weeks Later…
Gerard’s POV

“I’ll catch up, baby.” I assured Frankie, kissing his face. I hugged Anna. “You be good for Frankie, sweetie.”

“Kisses, Daddy.”

I gave her a big kiss smack on the lips and ruffled her curls.

“Be careful, babe.” Frankie said, kissing me.

I put my mic up in it’s proper container and gave the loading guys are stuff. When they left I sat backstage, just staring at my feet. Nothing had happened worth telling lately, really. Annabelle had decided a clean bus was a bad bus and that was pretty much it. Oh, yeah. And she now insists on being called “Jasmine” from Aladdin. I thought she liked Belle, but whatever. As long as it isn’t Cinderella I’m good.

I heard someone coming backstage and turned, putting out my cigarette, to see Bert McCracken.

Great. Just what I need. Break my new fucking mic and run into Him. He’s worst than Lord Fucking Voldemort.

“Why, hello.”

“Fuck off.”

“I like you, Gerard. You’re stubborn as hell, but I like you.” He approached me. “You’re not too bad looking either.”

“Go give yourself a hand job, McCracken.”

“I thought I’d have you instead…” he pulled something out of his jacket pocket. I saw metal and looked down. A gun. “You’re used to knives so I knew that wouldn’t scare you, what with all of your cutting. The scars have healed nicely, I’ll say. But the gun should scare you, right? I mean, you want to live don’t you? See your daughter get to kindergarten?”

“Are you threatening me or my daughter?” I hissed, stepping back.

“Maybe both… she sure is a right brat. Don’t you ever want her… gone? Just… away? Some quiet…”

“I love my daughter.” I said, keeping my eyes on the gun.

“So you… wouldn’t want anything to happen to her, then? You wouldn’t like to see her mangled and raped body in that ditch a few miles down? Or a bullet through her head. Kind of like headfirst for halos. ‘And I think I’ll blow my brains against the ceiling.’ I love the irony there.”

“You’re fucking sick!” I shouted.

“Keep it down or I’ll fuck your daughter so hard your mother will feel it.” He hissed, pressing the gun to my stomach.

I went still and silent, watching him.

“I like this power, Gerard. You helpless and against this wall. Knowing that I could do whatever I wanted to you and you’d let me… just to see that little brat another day… but then I could just kill her tomorrow if you didn’t give me what I wanted again.”

“You’re sick.” I whimpered.

“I’ve been told.” He gave me a sick grin. “I’ve never fucked a child before. It may be fun.”

I felt tears prickling my eyes at what he said. “You… wouldn’t... she’s only three.”

“Frankie was only twenty, wasn’t he? Your precious Frankie has really grown to be quite handsome. Except for the little weight issue. But you like them fat, I guess.”

Don’t listen, don’t listen… think happy thoughts…. Like the song…. Yeah, think happy thoughts….

“Frank wasn’t a bad fuck, though. Not quite up to my standards… but not bad. I, personally, wouldn’t be able to be married to the midget. Only fucking him forever? That would be very boring. Do you still have sex with Frank?”

I ignored him.

“I’ll kill you right fucking now and then kill your daughter. Do you still have sex with Frank?”

“We’re fucking married. What do you think?” I growled. I couldn’t get out. He had me in his hands until he got bored. The nearest exit was too far.

“How often? On the bus next to your brat? Isn’t it illegal to have sex in the same bed your daughter sleeps in?”

I grunted.

“Or do you’ll save it for ‘special occasions’ or just the hotel room? I bet it’s just the hotel rooms and you get that poofy haired excuse for your best friend to watch the fucking brat.”

“Don’t fucking diss the fro.” I growled, kicking at Bert. I missed his balls and got his thigh, causing him to knee me in my groin. I fell to the ground, groaning.

“Are you always this stubborn? I bet you won’t do that again if I bring your darling little brat into this. Let’s try it this way. You give me what I want, your daughter lives. You try anything like that again and I’ll fuck her right in front of you.”

The tears were back and I struggled to stand, glaring. “Fine. What the fuck do you want?”

Bert grinned. “I thought you’d never ask….”

Gerard's POV

"Is something going on back here?" A voice called.

"Keep your mouth shut or the girl gets it." Bert hissed.

I remained silent, but gasped quietly when someone came in. I was staring at someone I never thought I'd see again.

Pete Wentz. "What the fuck?" Pete asked. "Hey, you're Gerard... and your Bert... and holy fuck, you've got a gun."

"Just leave now." Bert smiled sickly.

"What the fuck is going on?" Pete asked. "Are you okay?"

I nodded as Bert stepped away from me.

"This isn't finished, Gerard." he hissed, then walked off pocketing his gun.

Pete approached me. "What's going on? Did he hurt you?"

"I'm fine." I groaned, dusting my pants off.

"I'll go tell security." Pete turned to rush off.

"No!" I exclaimed, pulling him back. I calmed myself down and said more calmly, "No. It was nothing."

"He had a gun to your stomach and you can barely fucking stand." Pete gave me a look.

"He's gonna hurt my little girl!"

"The security--."

"The security was supposedly already protecting us. Look, just forget you saw any of this. ANY OF IT." I looked him in the eye. "Please." The last word came out a whisper.

"Are you..."

"He said he was gonna rape my little girl and--."

"He said that?"

"He's sick and he's dangerous. Just forget you ever saw this, Pete. Please."

He nodded. "I won't say anything but I'm gonna get you to your bus."

"Thanks." I grunted as he slipped an arm around me.

“So... how's Frank?" Pete asked as he led me towards my bus after I pointed it out to him.

"Fine. We're... shit... married with a three year old."

"I saw her running around." Pete said. "Black curls, big blue eyes?"

"Yeah." I smiled, picturing Anna.

"She's precious."

"Thanks." We got to my bus and Pete knocked loudly. Frank came out.

"Pete? Gerard? What?"

"Help him up the steps. He got kicked in the balls." Pete said, helping me up the first step.

"How?" Frank asked me, getting me onto the bus.

"Bert." I muttered, sitting down. "Anna asleep?"

"Jade took her to McDonalds for a Happy Meal." he turned to Pete. "How are you?"

"Good. You?"

"Fine."

"So..." Pete asked. "What's exactly going on with you two and Bert?"

"Well.... it's a long story." Frank began.

"I've got time."

Gerard’s POV

“It simple.” Ray said. “We never leave Bella outside again. Someone has to be with her at all times. We know who we can trust and who we can’t.”

“How can you keep a three year old locked up? She runs out all of the time without asking.” Frank said miserably. He’d cried after hearing what Bert had threatened, but now was just angry. Angry and miserable.

"We've got tons of help. She doesn't need to never be outside again." I argued.

"HE THREATNED TO RAPE YOU IN FRONT OF HER! DO YOU NOT CARE?! SHE'S THREE FUCKING YEARS OLD! SHE'D DIE!"

"Of course I care, Frank." I whispered. "I'm just trying to do what's right for Anna and being locked up isn't healthy. At least at such a young age."

"We'll help." Jade said, who had stayed after bring Anna back and hearing what had happened. "We can play with her outside. I'd like to see him try to touch her in front of me. I'll cut his fucking balls off and feed them back to him."

"Daddy, what are you talking about?" Annabelle asked, climbing onto Frank's lap.

"Nothing, sweetie. Go watch Belle. Gee put it on for you."

"I wanna be with Bobby."

"Bob--."

"Don't ask. I'll take her." Bob interrupted. "C'mon, Annabelle. Let's go watch Beauty."

Annabelle clapped and reached for Bob, who led her off.

"Thanks, Bob!" I called.

"No problemo."

We sat, Frank's head on my shoulder.

"Security can't do shit.... he won't listen to the law... he'll kill her if we tell, anyway... we can't let him get away with this..." he was muttering to himself, in his own little Frankie World. "My world's just crashed around me again. We've got no choice, Gee."

"No choice but to what?" I asked.

"But to send her to my mom."

Frank's POV

"No, we can't do that." Gerard gasped. "She needs us, not Linda. She needs her parents with her."

"We've got no fucking choice, Gee. She has to come first and he's gonna hurt her."

Gerard closed his eyes, slamming his head against the table.

"I'm gonna call mom now." I stood and left to get the phone.

Gerard's POV

"Frankie, no!" I called, getting up to follow him. "If we do this he's won."

"Bella's life is at stake here. Not mine, not yours. Bella's. You know that she's gotta get out of here."

"Let's try and make this work without sending her away." Gerard pleaded.

I put the phone down and looked at Gerard. "We can make this work."

"If any things happen to her, Gerard, I will kill myself." I said slowly.

"Nothing will happen to her. She's gonna be with someone at all times. No. Two someone’s, at least. We're gonna talk to her; tell her she can't be alone. We're gonna call security and get a full time guard. And then we're gonna tell everyone we fucking know. Then we're gonna tell the band manager and every other band manager here."

"You really think that will work?"

"I think it's something, and that's better than nothing."

"This better work, Gerard."

He pressed his lips to mine in a gentle kiss. I kissed back, only to find Annabelle squeezing her way in-between us.

"I want kisses too, bad boys." she giggled, hanging onto our legs. Gerard scooped her up and we attacked her with kisses. The silent bus was filled with her giggles.

Gerard's POV

"YOHO YOHO A PIRATES LIFE FOR ME!"

Oh, god. Make the madness stop.

"We pillage, we plunder, we rifle and loot.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!
We kidnap and ravage and don't give a hoot.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!"


Please, God. I'm going insane...

"Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me.

We extort, we pilfer, we filch and sack.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!
Maraud and embezzle and even hijack.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!"


"FRANK, SHUT UP!" Bob yelled.

"Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me.
Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me.

We kindle and char, inflame and ignite.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!
We burn up the city, we're really a fright.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!

Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me.

We're rascals, scoundrels, villans and knaves.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!
We're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs!
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!"


"Frank, I'm gonna kill you!" Ray called.

"No you woooooooon't!

Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me.

We're beggars and blighters and ne'er-do-well cads.
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!
Aye! But we're loved by our mommies and dads!
Drink up me 'earties, Yo Ho!"


I ran to Frank and pinned him against the wall, crashing my lips against his. He kissed back hungrily, then pulled away and wriggled free.

"Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me.
Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me.
Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me.
Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me."

He grinned at everyone. "Okay, there. I'm done."

Everyone sighed in relief until Mikey and Bella came onto the bus.

"Yo Ho, Yo Ho! A pirate's life for me." Mikey mumbled under his breath. "Hmm... where'd that come from?"

"YOYO YOYO A toilet's strife for me!" Annabelle sang.

"Lord, help us all...."

Frank's POV
Two Weeks Later...

"Has anyone seen Gee? He went to get some food and never came back."

"He dropped the food off and went somewhere else." Ray said, throwing a bag at me.

I caught the bag. "Bella, honey. The hamburger daddy brought is back!"

Annabelle ran out, grinning. "Where daddy?"

"He went to get something, sweetie. Sit at the table by Mikey and eat."

She giggled and sat by Mikey. "Hi Uncle Mikey."

"Hey, Princess. Need some help opening that?"

She fished her hamburger and fries out of the bag. "I'm a big girl, Uncle Mikey. I can do it on my own."

"Oh, you can." he nodded knowingly.

"Uncle Mikey, how come you isn't a daddy? You is a good uncle and you be a good daddy too. Is you gonna be a daddy?"

"... Maybe someday." Mikey smiled at Annabelle. "Now I've got you to spoil though."

She giggled. "Okay."

Gerard’s POV

“You won’t get away with this, you fucking psycho.”

“Oh, won’t I? Who are you going to tell? You wouldn’t tell your little Frankie because he’s too worried about Bella already. It isn’t as if anyone cares about you anyway.

“Shut your fucking mouth. That isn’t true.”

“It is true and you know it. You’re mine, Gerard. All mine.”

Frank’s POV

“Gerard, wake up!” I said loudly, shaking Gerard. I’d got worried and came to look for him. He’d fallen asleep drawing outside of the bus.

His hazel eyes snapped open and he blinked a few times, and then smiled. “Hey, Frankie.”

“You fell asleep out here. What were you dreaming about?”

“I dunno… I don’t remember.”

I didn’t believe him and he knew it. But if there is one thing I learned about being with Gerard it’s pick your own battles. At least, lately. Ever since Bert’s threat two weeks ago every thing has been top stress. Fights are started quicker, nights are spent either having nightmares or lying awake, and it’s just miserable.

From what I’ve seen Bert hasn’t done anything to us lately, since those two weeks ago, but that’s because he’s been busy apparently. Everyone on this tour is busy, actually. I forgot how hard it was and raising a kid here is definitely taking a lot of energy.

She loves it though. She’s grown attached to Jade and Sonny and is still crushing over Bob. He can barely get to the bathroom because she loves to follow him around. He acts annoyed and grumbles, but no one pays attention. Whether or not he will admit it he loves reading and watching Princess and the Pauper with Bella.

“Mmh, what time is it?”

“Six. You should come eat.”

“I’ll eat later.”

“Gee, you haven’t been eating lately.”

“I have so.” Gerard snapped.

“Baby, don’t get mad. Just come eat with me. I was waiting.”

Gerard’s POV

“Go eat by yourself. You’re a big boy.”

He glared at me and stalked off, slamming the bus door behind him. A few minutes later Ray came out.

“Don’t you start with me too.” I know I should feel bad for hurting Frank’s feelings, but I didn’t. And Ray was here to yell at me.

“Everyone is stressed and tired, Gerard. It’s no reason to send Frank into tears.” He snapped.

“Just because we’re married doesn’t mean we have to do every fucking thing together.”

“You haven’t been spending a lot of time with him lately, Gerard.”

“Go fuck yourself, Ray.” I glared, stalking off.

“What’s your fucking problem?” Ray shouted after me, following me.

“Leave me the fuck alone! If I wanted to be bothered by someone I’d have Bert rape me some more!”

“W… what, Gerard? What’d you just say?” Ray grabbed me and twisted my arm to make me face him.

“I told you to leave me alone.”

“Gerard… why haven’t you been around Frank lately? Or eating? Is Bert forcing you to have sex with him?”

Ray’s POV

His eyes widened and he mouthed noiselessly.

“Oh, god… that’s why Bert’s been staying away… he’s been raping you.” I gasped, stepping back. “Gerard… why? Why didn’t you tell anyone?”

“You don’t fucking know, Ray… you don’t know.” Gerard yanked free of me and ran off.

I stood there, watching him run off. It didn’t take long for sense to come back and I ran after him, shouting his name. I found him eventually in a supply closet.

“Gee… why didn’t you tell anyone?”

“If anyone finds out he’s gonna kill Bella. He—he’s gonna rape her and kill her…. Ray, you don’t know about this. You never said anything about this to me…” he muttered, eyes still wide. He looked like a mad man.

“Gerard, get a fucking hold of yourself!” I shouted, pulling him up off of the floor.

“You can’t tell anyone you know, Ray!” he collapsed into tears, resting his head on my chest. “Please, Ray… please…”