Status: I might be constantly re-editing and revising so please stick with me

Jumper

Crazy For Him

The bell rang, screeching the news that the day had officially ended. I raced out of the school and into the student parking lot before the cars backed up into a line that wraps around the lot. I was one of the first ones out there. I couldn’t believe my luck! I turned the key in the ignition and started backing out when something slammed up against the passenger door. My breaks screamed out in harmony with me. I looked out and saw Devon, his lips curved up mischievously in an extremely coy manner.

"What the hell Devon?! You scared me half to death!" I said as I pressed a dramatic hand against my fluttering heart. He laughed a little and opened the passenger door.

"I thought I would surprise you." He looked at me as if he expected me to believe him. "Okay, and I also really need a ride home. Derek ditched school today so I don't have one."

"That's more like it. Yeah, sure." I looked back so I could pull my car out. "Ugh! Devon! You made me lose my head start! Now we're stuck here for thirty more minutes!" I pounded my palm against the steering wheel aggravated at, well, everything.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. But I know something we can do to occupy the time," he whispered with a wink.

I smacked his arm, it sounded harder than I intended. "You know how I feel about making out on campus and how I hate it when the other couples do it."

He sighed and shrugged his shoulders. "Can't blame a guy for trying. Guess I'm just going to have to settle for a peck."

He leaned over the console and quickly let his lips touch mine. He settled back into his chair and grabbed hold of my hand. "You know, I really do think that we should tell your parents about us."

"No way! You know how strict they are! They want me to marry a 'good Greek boy' and no one else will do. If they found out about us, I'd never get to see you again. They threatened to send me to an all-girl school if they found out I was in a relationship with a guy who isn't Greek."

"Okay, okay." he said, surrendering. "I just hate sneaking around to be with the person I love most in this world." His emerald eyes were staggeringly hypnotizing. He looked at me with that puppy dog face, the one that kills me every time.

I squeezed his hand and rubbed my thumb against his. "I know. I know it sucks. One day, it will all change. I promise you. Just a few more months okay? Then we can be together with no secrets at all."

"I can wait that long," he said with a smile as he kissed me again.

We waited for a while longer, the line dwindling down to a mere five cars, something you would never see. I finally pulled out and started the drive towards Devon's house. Maroon 5’s song “She Will be Loved” played softly, filling the car with Adam Levine’s voice. Devon started humming it and shortly after, started singing. I don’t think he actually knew he was singing, but I didn't say anything, and listened to him harmonize with the band. The song ended, but he didn't say anything. Instead, he tapped his fingers against the dashboard. This wasn't typical Devon behavior. Usually you can't shut him up.

"Devon, is everything all right?"

"Yeah. It is."

"You don't seem too sure about that." I said. I could hear the worry saturating my voice.

"No, I'm not. It doesn't even really matter though. You have enough to worry about as it is. I don't want to add to your plate."

I parked the car on the side of the road so I could turn to face Devon. "We're in this together. I'm here for you and you for me. If we don't have each other, than what do we have?"

He turned away from me. "Cassie, you shouldn't worry too much. I can handle things on my own. If you really want to know, it's just my mother ... well, being my mother. She just aggravates me so much and treats me like I'm nothing but shit she wants to scrape off her shoe but I just stick there. She wouldn't even care if I just left one day. Come to think about it, no one would."

His words shocked me, bringing me to a new level of fear that I had never felt before. "What are you talking about Devon?"

He looked at me cautiously. He opened his mouth as if he was about to say something. "Nothing. It's nothing."

"It's not true you know."

"What's not true?" he asked, feigning curiosity.

"That no one would care. I would care. I would literally die if you did so let's not speak of this anymore. Please." I pleaded.

He smiled slightly. "I know you would care. I would care if it was you too." He kisses my cheek. "I would never leave you Cassie. I promise."

"Good. I need you to stay."

"I will. I'm here. I'll always be here."

I started the car again, veering off the main road and turning into his neighborhood. I pulled in front of his house and kiss him briefly. He stepped out of the car. Before closing the door, he turned around, leaning into the car. "I love you, Cassie."

"I love you too, Devon." And with that, he strutted through the front door of his house. I could hear the screaming match starting already. I sighed and silently prayed for help to come to Devon from a god that I honestly never have believed in as I drove back to my own house. No matter how crazy things will get at my house, I'll always have Devon and that's more than enough. He promised.