Lucifer's Angel

Lucifer's Angel

‘’Perhaps you’d like to pull up a chair, you’ll be here for a while,’’ he replied, reaching for a sheet of paperwork at the far corner of his desk. My knife was stabbed through it before he could even begin to pull it to him. He looked up at me now that I’d caught his attention.

‘’Nice knife,’’ he said flatly, ‘’How’d you get a hold of a military issue pocket knife, though, they’re unavailable to citizens,’’ he questioned. I looked at him confused. How could it be military issue? It had been a gift from James… Realizing that the Colonel had distracted me, I pushed the thought out of my head,

‘’Will you just tell me why the hell I’m here,’’ I asked finally. Even though the sheet of paper had been pinned in place, he pulled it to him, not caring if he destroyed it. He looked back at me, lifting the sheet of paper in the air.

‘’Mary, which do you believe more in, science, or religion,’’ he asked.

‘’What does that have to do with anything,’’ I retorted harshly.

‘’Just answer the question,’’ he replied. I narrowed my eyes at him. This was ridiculous.

‘’Science, it’s based on things that can be proved, while religion is based on faith,’’ I answered.

‘’How about a combination of both, what then,’’ he asked.

‘’Look,’’ I snapped. ‘’If you guys simply dragged me here to interrogate me over pointless things, then I’m leaving.’’

‘’I’ll get to my point here in a moment. Why don’t you have a seat,’’ he insisted once more. I sighed in annoyance and grabbed a chair from the nearby table, and then sat down.

‘’So how about it,’’ he asked, referring to his question.

‘’It depends on what kind of mix you’re meaning,’’ I answered.

‘’You’re familiar with the big bang theory, correct?’ I nodded.

‘’Yeah, I know the theory, scientists use background radiation and the fact that the universe is expanding as evidence to back it up.’’

‘’Well, what if, by some strange occurrence, a miracle, as some would call it, when the earth was formed, it also created something that had all the basic elements to eventually cause the creation of human life,’’ he replied. I looked back at Jean for a moment, to see him standing there, and then back at the man in front of me. I looked at him like he was insane, I’m sure.

‘’It sounds like you have a few too many loose screws, buddy,’’ I replied. The Colonel just laughed.

‘’You said the same think I did,’’ he replied.

‘’Wait, you’re trying to tell me that that is true,’’ I asked in disbelief. He nodded.

‘’That thing that was created is a little red jewel called the Cor Omnium which is Latin for ‘the Heart of All’ and not long after the stone was created through the formation of the earth, it also creature who now takes the shape of an invincible and immortal man who’s name is Lucifer. We’re not entirely sure how he was created, but he was able to use the stone’s power to create the basis of our race. What we do know is that the stone was formed and has stayed in the earth’s core for thousands and thousands of years until finally, volcanic activity carried the stone to the surface about 10 years ago. It was then discovered by two scientists who turned it into the military. The military then realized the kind of powers that the stone possessed.

They also realized that those could be copied and transferred to soldiers. They were only able to give 24 people out of the whole united military use of one of those powers before the two scientists discovered their plans and took the stone back from the military. Those 24 people then became known by mostly upper-class military as the guardians. Jean and I are just two people who have been given a special power from the stone.’’ He finished speaking for a moment, letting me take in what I’d just heard. I pursed my lips, not having to think about much of anything at all. I got up from my chair.

‘’Uhm, yeah…’’ I trailed off for a moment. ‘’You people have lost it,’’ I finished. I turned to walk away but just as I neared the door, a blast of fire came from behind me, blocking the door. I spun around to see the Colonel standing at his desk, hand held out in front of him as if he were holding the fire in place in front of the door. My eyes widened in realizing that he was, in fact, control the flames.

‘’Okay, okay, I believe you, but what the hell do I have to do with all of this,’’ I questioned, now freaked out. Colonel Michaels lowered his hands and the flames disappeared.

‘’Before I explain further, Mary, what do you remember of your real parents,’’ the Colonel asked.

‘’Nothing really, only their names,’’ I explained. ‘’I know I was six or seven when I was put in foster care and I’ve been with Katharine and Miles Cameron since I was 9 of 10.’’

‘’That sounds about right, from what they told me,’’ he said, more to himself that to me.

‘’Wait, you know Katharine and Miles,’’ I asked. He nodded.

‘’They are both apart of the united military. They are actually foster parents, so the Fuhrer asked them specifically to watch over and take care of you,’’ he explained.

‘’They’ve known about this all along then, haven’t they,’’ I asked, sitting back down in the chair. The Colonel just nodded.

‘’As I already told you, the two scientists who discovered the stone, more well known as Lucifer’s Jewel, gave the stone to the military and then took it back when they discovered what the military was doing with it. To get what belonged to him back, Lucifer attacked and killed them both. By request of the two scientists and on order of the Fuhrer beforehand, if anything should happen to the two scientists, the Cor Omnium would go to their daughter who was at the time, about 6 years old. To protect both her and the jewel, the military kept an eye on her. Those scientists, they were your parents. Their names were Elizabeth and James Smith.’’

I thought about it for a moment. Their name’s rung a bell. Miles and Katharine had mentioned them once when I was younger. This was impossible though, I didn’t have that jewel thing that the Colonel was talking about. He had the wrong girl. There had to be other people in the country with the same last name as me, right? If that was so, then why had the military been watching over me? They hadn’t kept a tab on me since that very night had they?

‘’The names sound familiar, but I’m afraid you have the wrong girl. I don’t have an all powerful jewel or anything. I would know if I did,’’ I explained.

‘’Yes, you do, actually. Look at your necklace,’’ he replied. I reached up and yanked the chain from my neck. It was just a plain, silver chain, and at the end was a fairly small red jewel that was wrapped in a silver wire design that held it in place. Katharine had given this to me a long time ago, she’d told me that her and my mother had been friends, and my mom had given her the necklace. Katharine had decided that she’d wanted me to have it.

‘’This little thing, this is what that Lucifer guy is after,’’ I asked, looking down at the necklace.

‘’That’s right,’’ the Colonel answered quietly. I stood up once again, throwing the necklace on to his desk.

‘’Fine then, he can have the damn thing,’’ I snapped.

‘’We can’t give it back to him. The military has reason to believe that Lucifer intends to destroy us,’’ Colonel Michaels replied, standing up as well.

‘’Not my problem,’’ I retorted, turning and walking towards the door. Jean blocked my way.

‘’He doesn’t just mean the united military, he means the whole human race,’’ Jean spoke up finally.

‘’Then just give the jewel to someone else.’’

‘’We can’t, it takes too long for the powers to transfer, you’ve had it for years, and have obtained much of his power. If Lucifer attacks us, the guardians alone aren’t enough to hold him off. We need you. Lucifer only has power of the four elements without the stone, so we have the advantage,’’ he explained.

‘’Hate to break it to you dude, but the ‘powers’ of this thing have not transferred to me.’’

‘’Oh, they have, you just haven’t had a reason to awaken and use them until now so they’ve been dormant. My team and I are under orders to guard and protect you until and after you go to Central in Asia to start training for those powers of yours. You should be safe from attack there.’’

‘’And if I refuse to go with you,’’ I asked, crossing my arm.

‘’Fire is a rather persuasive element,’’ the Colonel replied with a smirk.

‘’Colonel,’’ Jean said, a warning tone in his voice. Colonel Michaels just lifted his hand, the smirk never leaving his face,

‘’Colonel, don’t,’’ Jean said again. Michaels paid him no mind.

‘’Colonel,’’ Jean yelled, finally.

‘’I am not getting yelled at by General Armstrong when you burn up the floors in here again,’’ Jean continued to yell. Sighing, the Colonel put his had down.

‘’Fine,’’ he said finally.

‘’But really, Mary, we need you to help us, you are Lucifer’s angel, after all.’’
♠ ♠ ♠
So she finally gets her answers.

I know her reaction is pretty dull and bored, but it hasn't quite sunk in yet. It will. Soon.

Thoughts???