Lucifer's Angel

Acting Strange

I sat in a chair, leaning back, looking up at the ceiling. The ceilings were of course, white like the walls. Major Monaco had gone off someone where, so I was here with Lucienne. She was over at her desk; working on what I assumed was paper work. I would’ve offered to help her, but being as I was a civilian, I wouldn’t have been able to anyway.

‘’You look bored. If you can go find my brother, with his help, I’m sure you could go have some fun with the training simulators,’’ Lucienne said finally, laughing somewhat. I sat upright and turned to her with a smile.

‘’Ah, I’m alright. I’m still letting things sink in, I guess.’’

‘’Well, don’t think about it too much. It’s not time for that yet,’’ she replied.

‘’So what’s it like being in the military,’’ I asked finally.

‘’It takes some getting used to when you first join. The worst part is the switch from civilian life to pretty much being ‘government property,’’’ she said, putting air quotes around ‘government property.’ I couldn’t help but smile.

‘’Now, if you’re like my brother and I and have grown up in a military family, the switch between citizen to soldier is almost non-existent.’’

‘’How about basic training,’’ I asked.

‘’Basic was tough, but it was fun at the same time. In the end, all the training is worth it. When you actually get to start training with the obstacle courses, you’ll be thankful because the first few months are classes on land navigation, ranks, uniforms and all of that, but by the end of the first week with doing those courses, you’ll wish you were doing the classes again,’’ she explained.

‘’But, as I said, it’s worth it,’’ she finished.

‘’I don’t doubt it,’’ I laughed. After that, it was silent for a few minutes.

‘’You sure you don’t wanna go find Danny and go play on the simulators? You can learn to drive a tank,’’ she laughed.

‘’I’m sure,’’ I replied. Just then, there was a knock at the door.

‘’Come in,’’ Lucienne called. Without hesitation, the door opened, revealing Jean.

‘’Hey, French fry! How nice of you to come visit.’’ A look of annoyance passed through his eyes but just as soon as it was there it was gone too.

‘’Colonel Michaels sent me. He needs to see you in his office, Captain Monaco,’’ Jean explained.

‘’Oh, what does he want now,’’ she asked, standing up. She walked over towards the door, the sound of her boots nearly echoing as she reached the door. Just as she was beside Jean, ready to walk out into the hall, she turned back to me.

‘’You coming, kid?’’ she asked. I got up from my chair.

‘’I suppose so,’’ I replied, walking towards her. The walk to his office was relatively quiet, other than Jean answering Lucienne’s question with a short, blunt ‘I don’t know.’

Once in the office, Roy greeted Lucienne, and then asked her to take me by my house to get some clothes and stuff. According to him, we'd be able to get heavier coats better fit for the cold up north once we got there.

I glanced over at Lucienne and Jean. They both looked confused and slightly worried. As to the reason why, I had no clue.

''We leave tomorrow morning at six,'' Roy spoke again.

''We need to be ready,'' he added, looking up. Lucienne nodded.

''Uh, Colonel Michaels, would it be alright if I went with Captain Monaco and Mary,'' Jean asked.

''No, I need you here at the moment,'' Roy replied.

''Very well sir,'' Jean said bluntly.

''Captain Monaco, be on your guard while you're there, anything can happen.''

''Yes, sir,'' Lucienne said, saluting her superior, as expected.

''You're dismissed,'' he said flatly. Lucienne turned without hesitation, me following close behind her.

''What's wrong with him,'' Lucienne questioned, more to herself than to me once we'd past through a few hallways.

''I don't know,'' I said. She seemed unfazed.

''He never acts like that though. Never,'' she said, looking off down the hall. I just stayed quiet, listening to her. Something had seemed off back there.

''Do you know why he's acting so weird,'' Lucienne turned on me.

''No,'' I replied quietly. ''I already said that,'' I added. Slight shock came over her face.

''Oh, you did? I'm sorry. I must not have been paying attention,'' she replied. I smiled.

''It's alright,'' I answered.

''Come on,'' she said, sighing.

''Let's go get your stuff,'' she continued.

''Yeah, lets go.''
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes, this chapter is short, but the next will be longer, I hope. Things will pick up again. I promise.