Lucifer's Angel

Godless Ideals

I went silent in my speaking and turned hearing foot steps at the door. A young girl with long, straight blonde hair and caramel colored eyes. Realization showed on her face when she took notice to our uniforms. Even more so, she looked at our ranks, trying to figure out what each one was. Mine, she seemed to easily recognize, but Lieutenant Barrett’s, not so much.

Sergeant Major Myung greeted her, and then, reluctantly sent her off to lunch. As she turned, something caught my eye. There was a silver chair and at the bottom of the chain was a blood red jewel. My eyes widened slightly, realizing what exactly I had just seen. When she left, I turned back to Sergeant Major Myung.

‘’So that’s her,’’ I asked, crossing my arms. Myung nodded reluctantly.

‘’It’s sad, isn’t it,’’ he asked, sitting down at his desk. At first, I thought he was going to continue grading papers as he was before, but instead, he buried his face in his hands.

‘’What do you mean,’’ Barrett chimed in.

‘’It’s sad that a young girl like her has to be a victim of such godless ideals. Even worse, she’s known nothing about this for all these years,’’ he hissed furiously.

‘’She will know soon enough,’’ I said flatly. Myung just sighed and cursed under his breath. The only thing I could really do at this point was give him sympathy. He had only known the girl for a year, but he’d gotten to know her well, so he had a good idea of how all of this would affect her. I had no doubt that it had been hard for him to not tell her about this entire issue.

‘’Are you sure the powers of Lucifer’s Jewel have even passed to her,’’ Barrett asked.

‘’I’m positive of that. She’s shown signs of having Jeans abilities mostly, but I’ve noticed other things pertaining more to the elements. Colonel Michaels if you spend as much time around her as I have, you’d easily see. She has more power than she can ever imagine and she probably doesn’t even want it,’’ the Sergeant Major replied.

‘’What makes you say that,’’ I asked.

‘’You, Jean, some of the other guardians, you despise the power you have. You’re haunted by what the made you use those powers for….’’ Myung went on ranting. He sounded like Jean whenever someone brought up the powers of the guardians. Barrett and I just stayed quiet until he was finished.

‘’Sir, calm down,’’ I commanded quietly. He looked over at me. His face was expressionless but his eyes showed me all I needed to see.

‘’The best thing we can do at the moment is to take things as they are,’’ Barrett spoke up.

‘’So you’re saying we can only sit by and watch,’’ he asked, turning on the Lieutenant. She seemed taken back by his question at first, but when she realized what tone he was speaking to her with, she narrowed her eyes at him.

‘’No,’’ I said flatly, before Barrett could get at him for showing her so much disdain.

‘’You are part of the united military and have been looking after Lucifer’s Angel for so long now. You have followed your orders and done your job for all these years, so you most certainly have not stood by and watched. If I know you at all, you will never do that, but you have to accept that the time has come for us to take over,’’ I explained.

‘’Tell me something, Sergeant Major,’’ I asked.

‘’What is it, sir,’’ he replied.

‘’You’ve known her for quite some time now, haven’t you?”

‘’Yes, sir,’’ his voice came quietly.

‘’What was that, Sergeant Major?’’

‘’Yes, sir,’’ he said loudly this time. I knew he was upset over the situation, but he was an officer in the military and needed to keep his emotions in check. If it took calling him to attention to do so, then I would do it.

‘’Do you think she can handle the power and responsibility she has been inadvertently put in charge of?’’

‘’Of course she can. I know she can,’’ he stated flatly.

‘’Then there you have it. You’ve got nothing to worry about. You don’t have to feel responsible for her anymore.’’ His head dropped and he looked at his shoes.

‘’You said she would be under the watch of you and your team at Northern Command,’’ Myung asked. I nodded.

‘’That’s correct, and if extra precautions are needed, we’ll go further north beyond the mountains to the fort.’’ Myung nodded in understanding.

‘’Good,’’ he stated, calming down significantly.

‘’I will try to talk my way into a transfer up to Northern Command,’’ he added with a laugh. Barrett and I smiled.

‘’I’ll put in a good word for you to General Murdoch and General Briggs.’’

‘’I would appreciate it, Chief,’’ Myung smiled.

‘’Well, Sergeant Major,’’ I spoke quietly, ‘’Barrett and I would love to stay and chat, but its best that we report back to General Armstrong.’’

‘’Yeah, you guys had better get gout of here before everyone comes back form lunch. We don’t need people wondering why the military is here,’’ he answered.

‘’You have a good point, have a nice day.’’

‘’Same to you, Roy, Maria,’’ he replied, smiling. I nodded and we left without another word.

Image


‘’I find it hard to believe that that girl is Lucifer’s angel,’’ Barrett said once we were back in the car.

‘’That’s her alright,’’ I replied.

‘’She has the jewel around her neck. I saw it. Not only that, she looks just like her mother,’’ I added.

‘’You met them,’’ Lieutenant Barrett asked.

‘’I never met James, but I met Elizabeth once. It was a long time ago, before the war when they first found Lucifer's Jewel,’’ I explained.

‘’Oh,’’ she said softly. ‘’That explains it.’’ I would’ve smiled somewhat, had memories not flooded my mind. That had been so long ago now. I was just a 17 year old kid at the time. I certainly wasn't that now. Now, I had the blood of thousands of innocent people on my hands.

‘’Colonel! Eyes on the road!’’ Realizing where I was again, I moved the car over into the right lane again. I shook my head slightly, trying to get rid of memories from the war that had invaded my conscience. I slowed the car to a halt as we came to a red light. Lieutenant Barrett set across from me, trying to steady her breathing.

‘’I’m sorry, Maria,’’ I apologized quietly. She pushed her bangs out of her face and then buried her face in her hands.

‘’I hate cars,’’ she grumbled, trying to regain her composure.

‘’I can handle horses, jets, helicopters, and so on. Hell, I can even stand the Fort Vermilion’s tanks, but I despise any road vehicles.’’

‘’I told you if you wanted, you could drive,’’ I replied.

‘’I know but-‘’ she cut off her sentence, and then sighed.

‘’What’s the matter Lieutenant, cat got your tongue?’’ I asked.

‘’No, sir,’’ she replied. I took notice to the sudden change in her tone.

‘’You okay, Maria,’’ I asked, resting a hand on her shoulder.

‘’Yes, Colonel.’’
♠ ♠ ♠
I bet I surprised you there. Yes, Mr. Myung is a part of the military.

Why do you think Maria hates cars so much? And just what exactly happened during the Great Civil War?

Tell me what you think! Next chapter will be up soon. :)