Heart to Paper, Paper to Heart

My Paper Heart

I have three post-crossing friends. Two are from US, and one from UK. I found them on a penpal forum. It’s always been fun and exciting whenever a postman came to my house.

I heard someone knocked the house door. I bolted to the door. I never would like to opened the door for a guest, but I don’t know–I felt something different with this one.

Lucky guess.

There was a postman stood before me. His bag looked so big, filled, and heavy, but he still smiled on me. He handed me a little beige envelope, “Here’s your letter from England,” he simpered. “I believe this is what you’ve been waiting for.”

I giggled, and took a letter from him. “Thank you so much, sir.”

The postman nodded, and strode away. I checked the envelope. It was from Jack Harries, my post-crossing friend. I unsealed the envelope, sat on the portico, and started to read.

Dear Alinator,
How are you doing? I just got back from Amsterdam, Netherland and it was aweeeeesome! How about you? Have you been to somewhere lately? Or just stuck in your amazing hometown? :p

Amsterdam is amazing, Alina. You have to visit here soon!:) Well, Finn and I have a great time there. We have met our amazing Youtube viewers and hangout with them. We have cycled everywhere, which it’s pretty cool. There are plenty places to hire them.

Okie dokie, we went to Amsterdams Historisch Museum, which maps the last eight centuries of urban evolution using weird found objects like 700 years old shoes. Then, we went to the Museum Amstelkring, a wonderful preserved attic church since the 17th century. We also went to Joods Historisch Museum, which housed in four former synagogues. There are plenty photos, painting, and artefacts of Judaism in Netherland.

We went to a clog-making museum, Klompenmakerij De Zaanse Schans, bought some girly and cute tulips in the Bloemenmarkt, tasted amazing cheeses at the Wegewijs, and saw eight windmills in De Gooyer, which I attached a postcard of it:)

We also had a cheeky picnic with our local youtube viewers in Vondelpark. I actually want to go to Red Light district, you know, a notorious reputation of Netherland... Well, it’s like a small version of Las Vegas with prostitutes... Hahahaha. Finn gave me a mandatory... I’m an obedient kid, so well.. I’m not going there :p

Of course, we went skating at 9pm on Friday night with a group of skating opposite the Nederlands Filmmuseum in the Vondelpark, and found out that there were a LOT of our viewers! :D Felt so honoured!

Did you know about Anne Frank tragic history? Well, we went to the canal-side house, Prinsengracht 263 where the Jewish girl, Anne Frank and her family hid for two years during the second World War. It made my neck prickled, you know. There were a bookcase, and unfurnished rooms... So-gave-prickled.

At the end of our amazing travelling, we went to Bimhuis to enjoy jazz music, and went to the Twee Zwaantjes go have a little drink:)

So, how about you? Where have you been?

I also attached some photos of us during in Netherland, and I’m really sorry there was silly pictures :p

Can’t wait to hear from you! Have a great day!

Regards and Loves,
-Jack x


I looked all the photos that Jack has attached. The first was a De Gooyer postcard, and written “It’s De Gooyer with eight windmills! Awesome, right? I sent this because it has been our tradition to sent postcard.. Besides, I’m collecting postcards from you! :p” in the other side; the second photo was Jack and Finn in front of a building that have a lot of glasses, standing so glorious in the middle of the sea, there was “BIMHUIS” in huge letter; the third photo was a bookcase in a house. In the other side of the photo was written, “Anne Frank’s house. Looks so mysterious, isn’t it?”; and the fourt, the last photo was a guy; well-built; has got short spikey straight brown hair; has got pointed nose and thick wide lips. He smiled on camera, made his baby-face look so cute, and sat on plaid fabric. The background was a green large park. Beautiful. In the other side of the photo was written, “It’s me in Vondelpark. Had a lovely picnic!:)”. I ran my finger on the last photo. Jack Harries. When the destiny meet us both together? When I can meet him?

I sighed.

I crammed the letter and photos back to the envelope, stood, and went inside the house. I clumsily ran upstairs until I got stumbled, went to my room, and sat behind an ebony desk. I picked a piece of paper, started to write the reply.

Dear Jackamo,
Looks likes you’re through fun travelling days in Amsterdam, I’m pretty jealous right now :p I really want to go to Netherland, I wish someday Annie Frank is my all-time favorite diarist, of course, I know her. It’s very lucky you can go to Prinsengracht 263! I want to go there sooo baddddd!!!:(

Well, there were no special things through lately. I just being that Mademoiselle Clumsy everyday. I have really embarrassing day, and it happened yesterday. Want to hear it? You’d better not :p

So, I went to Chinese restaurant by myself. Well, I feel pretty bored, you know. Reni went to the Gathering Night in out of town, my parents have a job out of town, well, pretty much no friends. So, I strode swaggily in the Chinese restaurant. It was sooooooo quiet. There was no one around, unless the employees. They were cleaning the whole restaurant. I sat clumsily. There was no waitress come to me, so I called one of the employees who cleaned there. After I ordered the menu, the employee went away clumsily. What’s wrong?

I waited. But suddenly, I caught a warning sign on the door that said “Closed on Sundays”. Oh my god! So I ran out from the restaurant hastily, felt like an idiot, and hoped that there was no one see me.

I swear I’m not going to that restaurant anymore. I swear.

So, I’m here stuck in my daydream about to visit your place, whilst you travelling around the world. I still waiting for the news from University of Birmingham. Hope that they are going to offer me a place there:)*fingercrossed*

Can’t wait to hear from you soon:) xx

Have a great day,
-Ali, your Clumsy friend x


I picked a postcard with Wayang Puppet on it and wrote behind on it. “It’s the most well-known puppet, originally from Java. It’s always hold every midnight and by Javanese language. Most of the plots are interesting. I love it:) Few people says that the puppet has made from humans skin... Scary, isn’t it? But, it’s just a myth. –Ali x”.

I scrammed the postcard with letter inside the envelope. I wrote Jack’s address and my address on the envelope. I sealed the envelope, stood, clumsily ran downstairs until got stumbled again, took a skateboard near the door, and went out. I locked the door, stepped on the skateboard, and went to the post office with a letter on my hand.