Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

The Boys

The clock struck five, and I yawned loudly. Work sucked on a Friday. Actually, work sucked pretty much every day. For me, weeks were tough to get through at my job at the Healthy Living Corp. The fact that I even worked there was hilariously ironic because I would never ever associate myself with anything healthy. I often found myself just resorting to a bag of chips for lunch because my kitchen was sorely lacking food of any kind.

“Jazz, how is that anti-obesity campaign going?” Liza, my supervisor, called from her desk.

“Fat-tastically,” I snorted at my own pun. I could practically hear Liza rolling her eyes.

“Think it’ll be ready by Wednesday?” she asked casually.

Wednesday? Oh shit!

“Sure, Liza!” I plastered a false smile on my face and start making notes furiously into my iPhone.

Well, there went my relaxing weekend. I slumped in my seat and winced as my stomach started to rumble insanely loudly.

“Why don’t we call it a day, folks?” Liza said the same thing she always says at the end of a day.

I sighed in relief and began to pack up my things. Most people leave around now, except for the hardcore workers who desperately want a promotion. I could get one if I wanted one...I just don’t bother. I used to be an overachiever, but something happened my senior year of university and I became a slacker. Oh well. My job pays well as it is. I don’t need the promotion just yet. Let one of these lovely people get it instead.

“Bye William,” I said cheerily to my cubical neighbor.

“Bye Jasmina,” he replied with clenched teeth and a smile.

I grit my teeth at the use of my full name and stop to tap my nails on his desk annoyingly. “Oh stop it,” he grinned.

“Have a nice weekend, Will,” I amended

He laughed. “You too, Jazz.”

I greeted the cool Chicago air with a smile. I loved this time of year. I could smell Thanksgiving in the air, and that meant Christmas was just around the corner. I drove home to my apartment, which I share with one of my best friends, Hailey.

As soon as I walked into our apartment, I slid off my heels and sunk into the sofa with another yawn.

“Hey! You’re back a bit late,” Hailey greeted me from her bedroom.

“Yeah – Liza was fierce today. I have so much shit to do this weekend,” I groaned in self-pity.

“Well then that settles it!” Hailey called out.

“If you’re referring to the fact that I should just quit and become a pop star...yes it does settle it,” I yawned again. God, I’m tired.

“No, Jazzy. It settles the fact that we are totally going clubbing tonight!” Hailey squawked, finally revealing herself from her bedroom. She was wearing a slinky pink number that made her blonde hair pop and her cheeks look nicely flushed.

“What?” I grumbled peevishly, turning on the TV. “I’m tired, Hails.”

“What are you, a senior citizen? Come on babe! It’s Friday night! And we are young, hot chicks on the town!” she said enthusiastically.

I closed my eyes. “I don’t want to do my make up.”

“I’ll do it for you.”
I opened my eyes. Hailey was a make up artist. This just got interesting

Half an hour later, I was staring at myself in the mirror in shock. Hailey had gone for a very heavy smoky eye and little else on my face. I desperately wanted to rub my eyes, and I had to train myself not to. I was wearing a very short black dress, which had a plunging neckline and had a floaty skirt that was half see through and only covered about half of my thighs. My mother would have a fit if she saw me in this. My hair was in soft waves around my face, and my lips were glossed. I remember being a teenager and judging the girls who went out like this. Oh dear.

~

“A margarita, please,” I smiled at the barman and waited patiently as my drink of choice was procured.

Hailey was already on her second martini, and her eyes were brighter than usual. Thankfully, she was a mellow drunk. I could see she was on the prowl tonight, her eye scanning every good-looking man who entered the bar.

“Is Christy meeting us here?” I asked her as I peered around the bar for our spunky friend.

“Yes she is!” Christy herself materialized out of the crowd, wearing a fabulous pink dress and holding a Long Island ice tea.

I pulled her in for a hug and so did Hailey. “Oh, I brought some of those boys I was talking to you about,” Christy whispered conspiratorially.

“Which ones? You know a fair share,” I teased, pulling up a barstool for her to sit on.

“They’re all on their way. You’ll know them when you see them,” Christy gave us a cheeky smile and tossed her perfectly curled light brown hair over her shoulder. I narrowed my eyes suspiciously and looked for a group of men to enter.

When a large crowd of them did enter, Christy’s eyes lit up and she turned to us with a saucy smile on her face.

“Girls, I am just now realizing that I have no underwear on. And I didn’t even mean to do this.”

Hailey burst out into laughter. Her giggles tinkled across the entire bar, and slowly, a few of the men who had just arrived turned to find the source of this amazing sound.

I growled under my breath. “Nice, Hailey. You’ve got them flocking.”

“Oh cheer up, Jazzy. You look hot, and you need a good flirt,” she fixed her hair inconspicuously and kept smiling at me.

“Now, is it just me, or are you two ladies having more fun here than anyone else in the bar?” a new voice arrived at our table and stopped Hailey’s giggling.

“It’s because we are,” Christy announced, smiling at the men who were now crowding around our table.

“Christy; long time no see. You look particularly ravishing tonight,” the man said in a partially teasing tone.

I desperately wanted to crane my neck to see what this guy looked like, but that would have been very uncool.

Christy snorted. “Hailey, Jazz, these are some of my brother’s buddies. That’s Patrick Kane on the left and Jonathan Toews on the right. Boys, these are my number one girls: Hailey and Jazz.”

Oh fuck it. I craned my neck stupidly and nearly fainted at the sight of them. Hockey players. Professional ones. Kane would be the shorter, blonde one with the gorgeous blue eyes, and Toews would be the tall, dark and handsome one. I think I’m going to have a heart attack. Patrick must have realized that I could not communicate with them if they stood behind me, so he moved to the right and flashed me a fabulous smile.

“Jazz, eh? Interesting name,” he commented.

Jesus here comes the usual name shit.

“It’s short for Jasmina. Kind of a mouthful, right?” I explained patiently.

To his credit, Patrick did not agree with me. He laughed. “I think it’s cool. Are you from India?”

“My grandparents grew up there, but I am second generation American. I think I barely qualify as Indian,” I joked, finishing the rest of my margarita with satisfaction.

Patrick grinned widely. “Awesome! Hey, I don’t think I’ve ever bought a third generation Indian girl a drink before.”

“Margarita?” I smiled impishly, ignoring the fact that that was definitely a lame pick-up line.

“Another Long Island, Christy?” Patrick turned to her.

She shook her glass thoughtfully. “Why not?”

Patrick gave me another brilliant smile before making his way to the bar. He really needs to stop doing that. Jonathan, on the other hand, was standing quietly with a stony expression on his face and his eyes boring into me. I shivered.

“It’s Jonathan, right?” I asked pleasantly, trying to diffuse the tension.

“And you’re Jasmina,” he nodded, offering his hand. I shook it firmly. I think he was surprised how firmly, actually.

“Call me Jazz,” I insisted.

“Call me Jon,” he countered with a hint of a smile on the corner of his lips.

I blushed. Patrick may be more charming, but Jon was just plain gorgeous. I turned to Hailey for backup but found her chair empty. I turned to Christy questioningly, and she pointed to the dance floor, where Hailey was getting cozy with another well-built man, possibly another Blackhawk.

“That’s Seabrook,” Jon offered with a nod. He took the liberty of taking Hailey’s vacant seat, and I felt the sweat gathering under my arms.

I smiled politely, but neither of us could think of something to say, so Christy jumped in, just as Patrick reappeared with my drink.

“Jazz has been a hockey fan for years,” Christy offered with a wink at me.

I groaned inwardly. Now it looks like I’m some drooling fan. I took another sip of my margarita as a distraction.

“Are we your number one team?” Pat’s eyes twinkled mischievously.

I felt my face grow hot. “I lived in California until university so...” I trailed off awkwardly.

Jon almost smiled. “LA?” he guessed.

“San Jose,” I admitted. They weren’t a bad team, but they weren’t exactly top of the league these days.

“We crush them every time,” Patrick bragged, dragging up a new chair and sitting down.

I rolled my eyes. “Calm down, Mr. Cocky. Our time will come eventually.”

Patrick laughed heartily. “Don’t hold your breath.”

“You know, if I was a meaner person, I would throw this drink at your perfectly gelled hair,” I threatened.

Jon raised his eyebrows curiously and Christy laughed. “Don’t doubt her!”

“But you’re not mean,” Pat guessed.

I sighed. “No. And I really want this drink.”

Christy grinned at me. “Pat, come dance with me.”

Patrick smiled again. God, this guy never stops smiling! “Your wish is my command, my lady.”

They disappeared into the crowd and I was left with Jonathan, silently stirring my drink and avoiding his strong gaze. Wow. What a contrast. If Patrick never stopped smiling, Jonathan never seemed to do anything but stare! He probably doesn’t even need to charm girls, though, considering the fact that he is gorgeous.

“So how do you know David?” I asked conversationally, referring to Christy’s brother.

“We’ve been buds ever since Pat and I came to Chicago,” Jon explained, taking a swig of beer.

“Do you like it here?” I added.

“Yeah. It’s a cool city,” he said appreciatively, “do you like it?”

I shrugged. “It’s alright. Really good for this kind of nightlife thing,” I gestured to the bar, “but I think it would grow stale at some point.”

“You want to retire in the country?” his face showed hints of teasing.

I blushed again. I kept doing that. “I suppose. Once I’ve got a big family and I’m graying.”

Jon lifted his arm and placed his head in his palm. I nearly gaped at his large fingers and the swell of his bicep. Oh god, he was looking at me again. I shifted nervously in my seat. Thankfully, Christy and Patrick returned to put an end to my suffering.

“Hey guys! Why don’t we go grab something to eat?” Pat suggested brightly.

I nodded furiously and hurried to stand up. The bar was tiring me out, and I desperately wanted to escape Jon’s serious stare.

“There’s a place just around the corner,” Christy pointed out.

“Where did Hailey go?” I frowned. She and the man she was dancing with...Seabrook had disappeared.

“I think she’s fine,” Christy laughed throatily.

“Yeah, Seabs can score on and off the ice,” Pat winked at me.

I groaned and slapped his arm. “Gross.”

I felt Jon’s huge mass of body behind me and I shivered. I was wearing three-inch heels, but that only brought me to about 5’ 7’’. I felt tiny compared to Jon’s expansive chest.

“Food sounds good,” his voice was close to my ear and goose bumps erupted all over my body. I grabbed my coat and tossed my hair over my shoulders.

“Let’s go; I’m starved!” I smiled broadly.
♠ ♠ ♠
First part! I just started writing this the other day, so I haven't gotten very far. Let me know how you feel about the main character and my portrayals of these hockey stars. :)