Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

Spiralling

When I woke up the next day, I was lying on Kaner’s couch with a post-it stuck to my forehead. The post-it was annoying me, but I was too disoriented to actually take it off me. My head was pounding, and my stomach was queasy.

“Morning, sunshine,” I heard Patrick say from not too far away.

I forced my eyes open with a groan. “Shut up.”

Pat laughed. “I have aspirin and hangover food for you.”

I sat up wearily and then had to blink several times in order to get my bearings straight. The first thing I did was rip the damn post-it off of my forehead and gazed at it blearily.

See you Saturday night. –Viktor

I smiled at that and then turned to Pat, who wordlessly handed me the aspirin and a glass of water. After swallowing that, I stretched with a yawn and glanced around.

“Am I the only one who crashed here last night?” I questioned.

“You’re the only one who drank enough to pass out here last night,” Kaner corrected with a chuckle. “I brought tacos and fries, since those are what generally work for me.”

“I expect you have a lot of experience in the area,” I teased, reaching for the fries and grabbing a handful.

Pat coughed. “Maybe.”

After a quick bite, I decided I had better go. After all, I desperately needed a shower, and then I needed to figure out what I would be wearing to this benefit. Kaner offered to drive me home, but I insisted on going on my own, explaining that it wouldn’t make sense for him to drive me home and then have to get a cab back.

The first thing I did when I got home was shower. I felt a bit grimy, and my face still had on make-up from the day before. After that, though, I called Viktor to find out what exactly was happening the next day.

“Hey Viktor,” I said into my phone when he answered.

“You feeling okay, Jazz? You were pretty much hammered last night,” he asked immediately.

I laughed. “Yeah, I’m much better. Pat gave me an aspirin, and I showered here, so I’m good as new.”

“That’s good to hear,” Viktor sounded relieved. “Did you get my sticky note?”

“I did,” I replied with a smile, “actually, I had a question about the whole benefit thing.”

“What is it?” he pressed.

“How formal is it?” I inquired.

“Quite formal,” Viktor responded, “I’m suiting up.”

I sighed. “I know, but how fancy do the women usually dress?”

There was silence on the other line. “I don’t know.”

“Come on, Viktor, were their dresses long or short?” I begged for the information.

Viktor chuckled. “I honestly can’t remember, Jazz. Nobody will care what kind of dress you are wearing.”

I snorted. “Viktor, dresses are all women talk about.”

“You’ll look good no matter what you wear,” he said sweetly.

“Ugh, fine,” I huffed, “your flattery has won me over this time. But this won’t work again!”

Viktor chortled. “I’ll keep that in mind. By the way, shall I pick you up at six?”

“That sounds great,” I replied with a smile. “I’ll see you then.”
~
I spend most of Friday evening trying to find a great dress to wear from either Hailey’s or my closet. I eventually dug out a wine coloured floor length gown with jewels on the bust and on the sides. I paired it with simple jewelry and very high heels. After all, I would be standing near giant hockey players all night.

On Saturday morning, I woke up leisurely at ten and had a nice long soak in the back to relax with some scented candles and music from Enya. Then I towel dried myself and blow-dried my hair before eating a quick salad for lunch. I then proceeded to watch Rock Hudson and Doris Day in Pillow Talk for an hour an a half as I relaxed.

Then, when the clock hit four, I went into action mode. First I did my make-up. I never wore that much, but today was a special occasion. I applied foundation, blusher, even bronzer before moving on and wreaking hell on my eyes. The eye shadow and eyeliner looked great now, but I knew it would be a pain in my ass to get it all off at the end of the night. I pushed this from my mind as I painted my fingers and toes to match my dress. Then I curled my hair and left it loose, mostly because I couldn’t be bothered to pin it up. I had a bit of a panic attack when I couldn’t find my strapless bra (since the dress was strapless) but I found it and my fears melted away.

By six o clock I was dressed, with a black shawl covering my shoulders, and was applying lipstick when the buzzer went off.

“Hello?” I called into the intercom.

“Hey, Jazz, are you ready?” Viktor’s drawl answered.

“I’ll be down in a minute,” I announced.

I grabbed my beaded black clutch and put my keys, wallet, phone, lipstick, and powder compact into it before locking my door and heading toward the lobby.

I saw Viktor before he saw me, and I nearly ran back upstairs. He looked gorgeous, with his light brown hair slicked back and his perfectly tailored suit. My breath caught in my throat when he looked up at me.

His reflection mirrored mine, which relaxed me. At least he was just as in awe as I was.

“Hi,” I greeted shyly as I came close to him.

“You look absolutely fantastic,” his blue eyes scanned me quickly before returning to meet my eyes.

I blushed. “You do too.”

He reached out and took my arm. “Let’s go, shall we?”

I smiled. “Yes.”
~
The benefit was being hosted at a yacht club on Lake Michigan, and it was decorated with fairy, twinkly lights and sounded very full and loud when Viktor and I walked up.

“You nervous?” Viktor asked me when I gripped his arm.

“Psh. No,” I answered guiltily, “just don’t leave me alone.”

Viktor smiled, and I swooned again as he led me up the steps to the entrance. The man at the door smiled at us after one look at Viktor and he opened the doors to the main ballroom.

Wow. This place was full of tables, waiters, a swing band, and tons of people. Thank goodness I had worn the long dress, because all the other ladies were wearing similar styles. There were several women wearing short, skimpy numbers, but everyone else seemed to be looking at them in disdain.

A waiter took my shawl and purse and told me he would put them both in the coat check, and I thanked him profusely.

“Wow, I like the dress,” Viktor whispered in my ear.

I felt my cheeks redden. “I’m glad. Shall we go mingle?”

Gallantly, Viktor took my arm and led me towards some familiar faces. Patrick Sharp and a woman, who I assumed to be his wife, were standing in a crowd with some other people that I didn’t recognize. When Viktor and I drew closer, Patrick waved at me cheerfully.

“Hey Stally, Jazz,” he grinned at both of us. “You guys look great.”

“So do you, Patrick.”

I smiled back and leaned in for a hug. He kissed my cheek and then turned to the blonde woman next to him.

“This is my wife, Abby. Abby, this is Jazz,” Sharpie introduced us.

Abby extended a hand out to me. “It’s lovely to meet you, Jazz. And Viktor, you clean up nicely.”

Viktor laughed and embraced Abby. “You look nice too.”

“Are you and Jazz...?” Abby let her sentence trail off because we all knew the implications of her question.

“We’re friends,” I supplied cheerfully, “I met everyone a few weeks ago.”

Abby raised her perfectly plucked eyebrows. “Everyone?”

“She and Jon are practically joined at the hip these days,” Patrick explained, flashing a smile at me. “In fact, I’m surprised she’s not with him tonight.”

I felt Viktor’s fingers tighten on mine, and I sent him back a reassuring squeeze.

“You know how Jon is,” I replied nonchalantly, “he can get pretty intense.”

Speak of the devil. Not seconds after I had said that did the captain himself enter the room with one of the most gorgeous women I have ever seen. Her hair was dark and her skin was perfectly fair, like porcelain. Her dress was dark green, and it just qualified as respectable when it came to the length. However her greatest accessory was Jon’s muscular arm wrapped around her tiny waist.

I gulped and turned away before Jon saw me staring. Abby’s gaze mirrored mine however, and her lip curled in disgust.

“Well I hope this girl is a little more well-mannered than the last one he brought,” she remarked decisively, taking a sip of her martini.

“Do I want to know?” I looked at Patrick.

He shook his head. “She was pretty bad. Not the smartest, and then she got totally hammered and we had to stuff her into a cab at eight thirty.”

I giggled. “Wow. He knows how to pick them.”

“Kaner’s much worse,” Viktor added with a rumbling laugh. “Jazz, can I get you a drink?”

I smiled at him. “A champagne would be nice.”

“Be right back,” he let go of my hand and walked toward the bar.

Patrick was engaged in conversation with someone, so Abby motioned to me and we walked away, creating a separate conversation.

“He likes you,” she smiled at me over her glass.

I blushed. “I like him too. He’s really sweet.”

“Then I hope you can explain the look you got on your face when Jon and his date walked in,” Abby’s voice became a shade cooler as she studied me.

I sighed. “Jon and I are friends, and he is not interested in me. The story ends there. I like Viktor, and he seems to like me. Doesn’t the second one make more sense?”

She nodded wisely. “I wouldn’t be so sure Jon’s not interested in you. He’s been looking at you ever since he arrived.”

I resisted the urge to look at him because I knew I would blush again. Instead, I took a deep breath.

“Even if he is interested, it’s not for the long term. And right now, I’m looking for more than he is,” I explained.

Abby looked impressed. “Mature words, Jazz. What’s your full name, by the way?”

“Jasmina,” I admitted.

“That’s such a beautiful name! I don’t know why no one calls you that,” she exclaimed.

I laughed. “It’s not my favourite.”

“Well get used to me calling you Jasmina. I love saying it! It just rolls off of the tongue,” Abby said with a giggle.

“You’re the only one besides my parents who can,” I granted.

Abby laughed. “I think I like you, Jasmina.”

“That’s good,” I replied decidedly, “because I think the feeling’s mutual.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay happy Sunday! Update time!
The second half of the benefit will be in the next chapter (which might even come out today)
Let me know if you like it so far!

Love you all.