Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

Run With Me

When we reentered the party, the atmosphere had thinned, and people were picking up their things and saying goodbye. The band played on, however, and there were still some people dancing. I tried to straighten my dress, and I gave Viktor’s jacket back to him. He took some twigs out of my hair and I blushed of embarrassment.

“Are you ready to go home?” Viktor asked me huskily.

I bit my lip as I considered the implications of that question. I grabbed his wrist to take a look at his watch.

“Jesus, is it really 1:30 in the morning? No wonder I’m shattered,” I started a fake yawn that became very real in the middle of it.

Viktor gave me a sly smile. “Worn out?”

“Most definitely,” I answered definitively. “Any longer and you’ll have to carry me out like a fireman.”

He laughed. “Go and get your bag. I just have to say goodbye to some people.”

I smiled and made my way back to the coat check with a stupid smile still on my face. I gave them my receipt number and the man behind the counter handed me my bag and shawl. I turned around to see Kaner looking totally hammered.

“Jasminaaa,” he drawled like an idiot.

“Kanerrrr,” I imitated sarcastically.

Patrick burst into hysterical laughter, grabbing onto me for support as he doubled over.

“God you’re funny, did you know that? And you look so pretty today,” he glanced around furtively like a criminal, “but don’t let Jon hear me say that; he would totally beat the shit out of-“

He never finished his sentence because at that point he lay on the ground, spread eagled with his arms and legs spread out.

“Look, Jazzy I’m a starfish!” he giggled, lying there like an absolute imbecile.

I groaned. “Not now, Kaner. It’s time to go home, okay?”

Pat stood up shakily and stumbled over to the coat check.

“Do you have any hot girls hiding in there? ‘Cause the one I got out here ain’t doin’ much for me,” he slurred.

I dumped my things on a random table and grabbed Kane’s upper arm. I guess he was my responsibility now.

“Why are you so drunk, Pat?” I sighed as he leaned on me to walk around.

“I dunno, man. Where’s Tazer? We’re always the only fucking single people at these pucking events. Ha! Jazzy did you hear me? I said pucking. It’s like fucking but with a puck instead of a fuck. And it’s...like, funny because I’m a hockey player, get it? D’ya geddit?” he roared.

“Jesus Christ,” I whispered to myself.

“Kaner you fucking idiot, were you in the back getting hammered this whole fucking time?” Jon’s strong voice came up from behind me and grabbed Patrick, lightening my load. I sighed in relief.

“NO!” Kaner retorted. “Okay yes. But I love the alcohol, Tazer. I can has more?”

Jon rolled his eyes and turned to me instead. “I’m sorry, Jazz. I’ll get him out of here.”

“It’s fine,” I waved it off and picked up my bag and shawl again. “At least he’s a funny drunk and not a violent one.”

Jon’s serious face nodded at me and then he hauled Patrick out to his car. I felt someone walk up behind me and I knew it was Viktor.

“Was that Kaner?” he chortled, wrapping an arm around me.

I laughed. “Yeah...he’s pretty much wasted.”

Viktor laughed and placed a kiss on my forehead before guiding me out of the yacht club and into his car. As soon as I lost sight of the yacht club, I nodded off in the passenger seat. I only remember Viktor waking me up gently.

“Sorry love. You’re home,” he smiled kindly at me.

I yawned. “I’m really sorry. It feels like today has lasted forever.”

“It kind of has,” he replied understandingly.

He got out of the car to open my door for me, which I thought was adorable. I got out, and he shut the door behind me. After that, however, he gently pinned me up against his car.

“Wow, forceful,” I teased, wrapping my arms around his neck, “I like it.”

Viktor laughed a deep laugh before kissing me slowly, antagonizing me greatly. As his kisses moved to my neck, I had to bite my lip to stifle a moan as he hit a weak spot in my jugular.

“I don’t want to leave,” Viktor breathed into my ear.

I kissed his cheeks and his neck in response. “I know.”

“But it’s too soon,” he decided abruptly, pulling himself away.

I shook my head. “You always do that.”

His blue eyes looked questioningly at me. “Do what?”

“You’re always the one to pull away,” I explained.

Viktor chuckled. “Believe me, I don’t want to. But I don’t want to go too fast and scare you.”

“Scare me? Fat chance,” I joked.

“Good night, Jazz. I would walk you to your apartment door, but that would unleash a whole other set of emotions and self-control,” he admitted, kissing my lips chastely before releasing me.

“I had a really wonderful time, Viktor,” I murmured to him before walking away.

“I’ll call you tomorrow...or, later today, I guess,” he called out with a laugh.

I turned to reply, “I’m looking forward to it!”
~
When I woke up the next day, the first thing thought that came to my mind was Cinderella the day after the ball. I’m sure that is how she must have felt; sleepy, grimy, but happy. It had been a long time since I had been romanced. I couldn’t even remember the last time I had experienced a kiss that perfect. Glancing at the clock, I realized that it was basically lunchtime, and I had better get my lazy ass up.

I walked into the kitchen to find Hailey cooking fish fingers on the stove rather cheerfully. I leapt over to say hello.

“Hailey! When did you get home?” I squealed, giving her a hug from the side.

She laughed. “This morning, actually.”

I slapped her indignantly. “This morning? Why didn’t you wake me up and say hello? I haven’t seen you in days!”

Hailey smiled devilishly. “ I dunno, I thought you might have Jon in your bed or something.”

I flicked her cheek. “Ha! Very funny; you should consider a career in comedy.”

She snorted, and then turned to look at me properly. She looked well rested, thank goodness. I was getting worried about the dark circles under her eyes.

“How was the benefit anyway?” Hailey asked, casually flipping over the fish fingers. I could tell she was desperate for some details, however.

“It was really fun,” I grinned goofily.

“Did you hook up with Jon?” she inquired suddenly, her eyes narrowing in suspicion.

No,” I said emphatically, “I went with Viktor, remember?”

She gasped. “Did you hook up with Stalberg?”

I felt a blush creeping onto my cheeks and I braced myself for the storm of questions that I knew was coming.

“Sort of,” I admitted.

Hailey threw the spatula into the sink and grabbed my shoulders and shook me with excitement.

“Like hook-up? Or just hook-up?” she demanded immediately.

I rolled my eyes. “You sound like a teenager. And we kissed.”

She waggled her eyebrows suggestively. “Ooh, how was it?”

I sighed dreamily. “We were outside, by the lake, on the ground. It was amazing.”

It was Hailey’s turn to squeal and hug me as I said this.

“That is so romantic! I bet he’s a good kisser. He is, right?” she looked at me for a quick confirmation.

I giggled girlishly. “Yeah.”

“So you liked it?” she continued impatiently.

For some reason, as soon as she asked me that, Jon’s face flashed inside my head, making me jump. Why on earth would I think about him when Viktor was the most amazing man I had ever been with? A little voice in my head whispered that’s because you haven’t been with Jon yet. I shut that voice up and replied to Hailey.

“I didn’t want to stop.”

Hailey laughed with glee and grabbed some plates and served up the lunch.

“Does Jon know?” she asked nonchalantly.

I raised my eyebrows in surprise. “Why does that matter?”

Hailey shrugged defensively. “You two have been pretty close lately...and it is his teammate, after all. You probably wouldn’t have even met Stalberg if it weren’t for Jon.”

I frowned. I hadn’t thought about it like that, and now that I was, it freaked me out a little. “Hey, did Jon bring a date?” Hailey continued.

“Umm, yeah. She and Kaner’s date got plastered after an hour and were asked to leave,” I replied distractedly.

Hailey giggled. “They sure know how to pick them. Were they hot?”

I nodded slowly. “Very hot. New levels of hot.”

“Well, that’s what happens when you pick people purely based on sexual appeal – you are left disappointed,” she announced conclusively.

I chuckled, taking a bite of fish. “I don’t think either of them have grasped that concept yet.”

“Was Brent there?” Hailey asked quietly after a while.

I squinted my eyes, trying to remember if I had seen Seabrook at the benefit.

“I think he was, but I didn’t get a chance to talk to him,” I glanced at Hailey apologetically.

She shrugged it off. “Was he with someone?”

I blinked nervously. “Yeah, but you have to bring somebody to these things, otherwise you end up seriously bored and drinking yourself to oblivion.”

I then launched into the story of a drunken Kaner leaving the yacht club, which lightened the atmosphere at the table and took Hailey’s mind off of Brent Seabrook. I only wished it had taken my mind off of Jonathan Toews.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! This one isn't as long as the last one, but I really wanted to finish off the whole benefit scene today. I love the feedback I'm getting on this story; it makes me really happy and really motivated! So partly in appreciation, I wrote this today.

Look for an update in a couple of days!