Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

Neon River

After a couple hours, I didn’t really feel like hanging out at the bar anymore. I offered Viktor a quick dinner, but he explained that he was too tired for dinner tonight, but he offered me a late lunch tomorrow if I met him after an optional practice.

“If it’s optional, why are you going?” I fluttered my eyelashes alluringly.

He laughed and patted my leg. “I want to get better. Plus, Jonny’s going to be there and after that check at practice...I don’t need another reason for him to hate me right now.”

I blushed, thinking about what Kaner had said to me this weekend

“Okay. I’ll meet you at practice. What time?”

“Let’s say five? It’ll give us a little time,” Viktor suggested.

I grinned. “Deal. See you tomorrow.”
~
I spent Saturday doing some work for the office, trying to clear things up so I could relax a bit more on Sunday. Hailey left at about noon, admitting that Seabrook was taking her out for the day. I made kissing noises at her and helped her choose the right lipstick (nude but pretty) before she left.

Kaner send me a text at about four that sounded precarious.

I hope you’re planning on getting here soon. Things are getting awkward with Tazer.

That hurried me up. I grabbed by trusty black pants and a pink sweater before taking my straightened hair out of my elastic band and heading out to my car. When I got to the arena, most of the guys were skating around, taking shots on net or tussling each other the bench. I spotted Toews instantly, skating laps and barking orders at random people.

I pushed my bag higher up on my shoulders and made my way to the boards. Nobody saw me at first, and I watched the practice and goof off for a while. I heard one of the coaches tell them to clear the ice, and Viktor noticed me and skated over with a big smile on his face.

“Hey!” he called, leaning over to kiss me gently.

I wrinkled my nose teasingly. “You stink, buddy.”

He frowned, leaning closer. “How about a hug?”

I laughed. “Take a shower. They we’ll talk.”

Viktor skated off the ice, shaking his head in mock anger.

I watched the rest of the guys lazily, snapping a few pictures with my phone before an approaching Patrick Kane blocked my view.

“Hey, it’s a good thing you got here when you did,” Pat breathed as he took off his helmet to look at me properly.

I raised my eyebrows. “Oh? Anything dramatic happen?”

He glanced over his shoulder, but Jon was still skating around determinedly, even as the guys emptied out.

“He’s going for a different approach. He just totally ignores Stally. Doesn’t talk to him, doesn’t correct him...doesn’t even pass to him if he can help it. It’s a good thing they don’t play on the same line, or shit would really be going down,” Patrick explained in one breath quietly.

I frowned. “What the hell is his problem?”

Kaner smirked. “I think we all know, Jazz.”

I rolled my eyes and turned to Jon’s strong build as he took a few haphazard shots at the goal. Then, he turned around and saw us looking at him.

“Jon, can you come here please?” I called out firmly.

Patrick winced. “If you’re going to do this here, I’m getting the hell off the ice.”

He left for the locker room, and I saw Jon give his friend a questioning look as he skated towards me. The rest of the ice was empty now; it was just the two of us in the arena.

I didn’t realize what an imposing figure he was up close. On his skates, he looked about 6’5”, and his helmet and giant hockey stick weren’t helping him look any less intimidating. He unfastened his helmet and let it dangle in his glove and he inclined his head towards me, waiting for me to say something.

“Why are you being so stupid about Viktor and I seeing each other?” I tried to sound demanding, but my voice faltered as soon as I looked him in the eye.

By contrast, his voice was calm and deep and carefully controlled as he responded.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

I sighed in exasperation. “Yes you do. I know you checked him into the boards a couple days ago, and I know you’re giving him some sort of silent treatment as well.”

His dark eyes narrowed. “Has Kaner been talking to you? Or was it Sharpie?”

I rolled my eyes. “It doesn’t matter, Jon. Can you just lay off him? Our relationship is none of your business. I can handle myself, and so can he, okay Captain?”

Jon looked taken aback at my snarky tone. “I’m not doing anything to alienate your boyfriend okay? Although I’d appreciate it if I didn’t have to see the two of you exchanging spit at practice.”

My cheeks burned. “Practice was over, you asshole. Why don’t you go find your little blonde girlfriend and exchange some of your own spit?” The words sounded so lame coming out of my mouth.

Before I let him realize how stupid my comeback was, I stalked out of the arena and texted Viktor to tell him I was outside by my car.

He jogged out to meet me ten minutes later, with his bag slung over his shoulder, dressed in nice slacks and a casual shirt.

“Everything okay?” his blue eyes, so unlike the dark brown ones that had cornered me before, looked concerned.

I shrugged. “I’m sorry about how Toews has been acting at practice. Kaner told me. I called him out on it.”

Viktor’s eyes widened. “And? How did it go?”

I flashed him a sheepish smile. “I think I made things worse for you.”

He laughed heartily. “Jazz, don’t worry about it. We all take plenty of crap from our Captain. I don’t mind taking a bit more if it means I get to do this.”

With those words, he dumped his bag onto the tarmac and pulled me in for a proper kiss.

“You smell much better now,” I mumbled into his ear before our kissing resumed.

His chest vibrated with laughter. “Come on, I’m starved.”
~
We went to this trendy Korean barbeque place, where we both ate steak and whatever vegetables they gave us. Viktor was very attentive, even making sure that it was okay for me to eat beef, even with me being Indian and all that. I laughed uproariously and told him that I had been eating beef for most of my life.

He gave me a sexy smile and I would have kissed him right there, but the waiter came to give us our check.

“Shall we have desser – oh wait,” Viktor shook his head, remembering my weird dislike of sweet desserts.

I smiled guiltily. “I’m so sorry. If you want some, don’t let me stop you.”

Viktor places his hand on my leg and my whole body felt warm as he leaned towards me.

“Jazz, the whole point of dessert is to feed each other and act all cute. If you’re not going to eat it, I just look like an idiot. Let’s just get some coffee and take a walk, okay?” his blue eyes implored me. If he had asked me to join the military, I think I would have.

“Okay,” I breathed.

He took my hand and led me out of the crowded restaurant and towards a small, posh looking café. He ordered two cappuccinos to go and handed one to me gallantly. I sipped my warm drink in one hand and clutched Viktor’s fingers in the other. Chicago was lit up with Christmas lights, and it was absolutely beautiful with the snow on the ground.

Viktor and I walked and talked, really getting to know each other properly. I told him about my parents and my schools, and he told me about his family and how he had two brothers, and one of them was playing hockey in the AHL. He was so sweet and inviting that I found myself wondering if Jon could ever be this nice. This started me thinking about how Jon was probably nice to his current girl; whatever her name is. Then my thoughts changed. Why was I thinking about some asshole player when I was here with an absolute sweetheart?

For the rest of the time, my attention was on Viktor, and I laughed at his anecdotes and blushed at his subtle compliments and his smoldering eyes. By the time we reached my car again, my cheeks were flushed and his eyes were even brighter, if that was possible.

He pinned me against the car and finally covered my mouth with his. I pulled him closer; he was a source of warmth and his body pressed up against mine felt really good. His arms reached for me, but the bundles of clothes in between us made it impossibly to get to intimate.

I pulled away gently. “How about you come back to my place? You haven’t seen it yet.”

Viktor’s eyebrows rose, as if waiting for my confirmation. I gave it to him with another kiss, and he nodded.

I was having a hard time driving when he kept looking at me like he was undressing me in his mind.

“Stop that,” I whined, turning on my indicator to merge into the right lane.

“What?” Viktor asked innocently.

I snuck a glance at him before returning my eyes to the road.

“You know what. Stop looking at me like that, or I swear I’ll crash this car and kill us both of us,” I laughed as he turned away reluctantly.

This time, I didn’t even have any alcohol to blame it on. As soon as we were parked, I practically dragged him into my building and into my room.

“Hailey?” I called out with my eyes shut, hoping there was no answer.

My prayers were answered. Hailey was clearly having a great time with Seabrook.

I turned and found Viktor standing dangerously close to me, taking off his wraps and his shoes.

I cleared my throat. I needed to compose myself.

“Do you want anything?” I asked meekly as I took off my own coat.

He flashed me a naughty grin that sent one clear message: you know what I want

Viktor advanced on me and I smirked in anticipation as he scooped me into him and kissed my neck, his hands pulling on my sweater impatiently. Thank God he seemed to be as affected as I was. He was just as desperate as I was. Then he suddenly slowed, checking my face for a reaction. The only emotion I could detect on my face was desire. I think he saw this, because he resumed his work. He hit a weak spot and I almost collapsed into him. He noticed and he smiled. I groaned in frustration.

“The bedroom’s this way, Viktor,” I said saucily, leading him towards my bed.
~
3rd person Jon

It was pretty early for a Sunday, but Jon lay back on his bed and counted the ridges in his ceiling pensively. The fight with Jazz earlier kept replaying in his mind. Was it normal to be thinking about a girl this much? His brain was telling him no, but another part of him was practically screaming that she had a boyfriend, and he was seeing someone.

Who cares? Jon thought boldly, reaching for his phone. He had a few things to say to Jazz.
~
Jazz

Viktor’s heavy arm was thrown over my waist like a warm blanket, and his snores were soft and not far away from my ear. I blinked as I glanced at the clock on my bedside. It was about eight in the morning, and I wanted nothing else but to get up and pee.

Viktor’s arm was more like a rope now, suffocating me and keeping me on the bed as I struggled to maneuver out of his grip without waking him up. The phone rang and I jumped. I felt Viktor shift next to me and I winced. Well, so much for not waking him up.

“Hello?” I said into the receiver, my voice thick with sleep.

“Jazz, it’s me. Can you talk?” Jon’s deep voice rang out on the receiver.

I yawned. It felt weird talking to Jon when I was practically naked.

“Give me a second,” I replied softly, putting down the receiver and pulling on Viktor’s shirt from last night along with some boy shorts.

As I was changing, Viktor yawned and sat up, rubbing his eyes. He saw me up and he looked surprised.

“Come back to bed,” his voice was husky and I loved it, “it’s warmer with you here.”

I blushed. “I just need to answer this call. I’ll be right back.”

“I’m holding you to that,” he warned before sinking back into the covers.

I wasn’t sure why I didn’t tell Viktor who was calling. I guess I just didn’t want Jon to intrude on this incredibly intimate moment I was having for the first time with Viktor. I grabbed the phone and hurried out to the living room and out of the sliding doors onto the balcony. I closed the door behind me and then finally returned the phone back to my ear.

“Hey, Jon, sorry,” I spoke a bit louder now that I was outside.

There was silence on his end of the phone, and I wasn’t even sure he was still on the line. “Jon? Are you there?” I persisted.

After an even longer pause, he finally spoke.

“I’m here,” he said slowly.

I sighed. “Okay. So what did you want to talk about?”

There was another pause. “Was that Stalberg I could hear in the background?”

I pinched my eyes shut and said a silent prayer before answering.

“Yes,” I replied honestly.

“Did he just get there?” Jon’s voice was dangerously calm.

I took a deep breath. “No.”

I didn’t elaborate, but the implication was clear as day. He had spent the night. We had slept together. I could hear Jon’s breathing on the other line, that’s the only way I could tell he was still there.

“Well, I think that changes things,” he stated gravely before hanging up. “I’ll see you around, Jazz.”

“Wait, Jon!” I called out, but the line was already dead.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay new chapter! Toews scored a lovely shorthanded goal yesterday, but the Blackhawks still fell to the Ducks. (Damn you Getzlaf and your stupid team)

Anyway, I really had fun writing this, so I hope you have fun reading it!
Let me know if you liked it! I'll try and update again this weekend. :)