Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

The Iron Sea

Burish picked me up from Viktor’s place, and I left the apartment wearing my jeans and shirt from last night, absolutely no make up, and my hair tied in a messy ponytail.

“The same outfit from last night, Jazz? I’m ashamed.” Adam teased me as I slid into the passenger seat of his car.

I made a face at him. “How did you know?”

“I didn’t. But I do now,” he laughed as he pulled away from the curb.

I groaned. “This lunch better be amazing, Bur, otherwise I may not be hanging out with you again.”

“The pressure is on,” Burish pulled up at Greek place and turned the engine off.

“Greek food, huh? I’ve got high standards,” I warned him.

The place was small and very bust, but Adam used his hockey-player status and a few jokes to get us a table in near a window. The appetizer platter of pita bread and yoghurt was delicious, and all the food we got to share was delicious.

“So Kaner’s party was fun?” I asked conversationally before taking a bite of the spanakopita.

Adam shrugged. “Everyone was pretty much hammered, especially Kaner of course. But it was fun. There were some very good-looking ladies there. But I think most of the guys were drooling over Toews’ date.”

“Danielle?” I kept my voice brightly neutral.

Burish’s blue eyes were studying me carefully as he answered me. He reached for his coffee and took a sip of it.

“Yeah; she came in this hot lace lingerie thing, and I think everyone who talked to her left with a semi hard on,” Burish explained brusquely.

“You included?” I winked at him.

He shot me a look. “Of course...not. But I was distracted with trying to keep Kaner from taking off all his clothes. Not that that wouldn’t have been hilarious, but it would have looked badly on the team."

I giggled. “That sounds like Kaner. Usually Jonathan takes care of him, though.”

“Yeah well last night he had his hands full with his lady lover. I don’t think they stopped touching each other. It was a little intense,” Adam explained in disgust.

I smiled, trying not to care too much. Thank God I wasn’t there. I probably would have gotten drunk and said something stupid to Viktor.

“Well it sounds pretty crazy,” I laughed nervously, wiping my face with a napkin and deciding I was full.

“And how was your night? Romantic and perfectly perfect in every way?” Burish asked me it mockingly, but I could see genuine care in his eyes.

I blushed. “Pretty much.”

I gave him a brief rundown on Viktor’s date, and he seemed very impressed.

“Wow, I gotta give Stally some props for that,” he admitted, “he must really like you.”

I fidgeted uncomfortably. “And I really like him. It’s sort of a mutual thing,” I teased.

Adam leaned forward to look at me directly in the eyes.

“I hope that’s true,” he said quietly, “because Stally’s a really good guy and he deserves something that is 100% mutual.”

God, could the man read my mind or something? I swear, it was getting a little ridiculous. I crossed my legs and gulped down some tea and then smiled genuinely.

“I agree,” I replied smoothly. “Now, I am more full than I have been in a while. Hey, when’s your next practice?”

“Tomorrow morning,” Adam groaned, “Coach sent the reminder text today.”

I patted his arm comfortingly.

“Don’t worry, I start work in a couple days too,” I said consolingly.

“Will you come watch some practice tomorrow? I think Kaner will still be hung-over so it’ll be very entertaining,” he promised.

I grinned. “That sounds great. I’ll come for the second half, around 10:00?”
~

The next day, I woke up early to find Hailey all dressed and ready to go somewhere. I yawned and poured myself some tea in my sweats and asked where she was heading off.

“Work, silly,” Hailey rolled her eyes, “some of us actually have to go in this week.”

I winced. “Oh, right. Well, if it makes you feel better, I start work in a couple days and I have read absolutely none of the advertising packets that I was supposed to. And to top it all off, I haven’t thought about my new anti-bullying campaign.”

“Well, I would get on that,” she advised. “Hey, are you going to the practice today?”

I nodded. “Yeah, actually I am.”

She looked relieved. “Good, can you give Brent his shoes? I don’t even know how he left without them...but whatever.”

I laughed. “Sure, but why don’t you just do it?”

Hailey averted her eyes. “Well, because...because I’m not sure when I’ll see him.”

I frowned. “Oh honey. Is everything okay between the two of you?”

“I uh...I think so,” she said, her voice quivering.

I smiled sadly. “Well that was very convincing. Listen, when you have time, we will sit down and talk about this, okay? But right now you have to get to work.”

Hailey nodded and waved as she left the apartment. I sat back and read some more Jane Austen before lazily getting changed into some jeans and a navy sweater. I arrived at the rink to find the bleachers pretty full for once. I spotted Abby Sharp, holding Maddy and I rushed over there immediately.

"Hey Abby!” I greeted cheerfully, waving at the petite blonde shyly.

She smiled broadly and waved me over.

“Jasmina! It’s been a while. How was your New Years Eve?” Abby asked conversationally.

I blushed, glancing out onto the ice and seeing Viktor take shot on goal.

“It was really fun,” I replied vaguely, “how about yours?”

“We were just at home with Maddy. Patrick didn’t feel like being part of the wild rave that is Kaner’s parties,” Abby explained with a laugh.

I nodded. “Speaking of Maddy...hi, cutie; how have you been?”

Maddy made a cute gurgling sound and I just about died. Abby offered me the baby for a cuddle and I didn’t hesitate, picking her up and giving her a nice kiss. I kept her at my hip quite happily, and Abby was grateful for the rest.

“So all the boys are talking about Jonathan’s new lover,” Abby whispered conspiratorially.

I raised my eyebrows. “Why are you whispering?” I whispered.

“Because she’s sitting way at the front,” Abby murmured, pointing subtly.

I felt my eyes grow wide and I turned my head to look at the raven-haired beauty with the long legs and the slim waist sitting in the front, playing on her phone nonchalantly.

“She’s gorgeous,” I muttered to Abby.

Maddy burped in agreement and I giggled.

“I haven’t really properly met her,” Abby admitted with a grimace.

I turned to her in surprise. “Really? But she was at your Christmas party.”

“I know! But things were so hectic and crazy and there were so many people that I never really said hello,” she explained, biting her lip guiltily.

I nodded. “Well, come on, let’s go say hello.”

“What?!” Abby whisper yelled, but I was already halfway down the bleachers, heading towards Danielle, with Maddy in my arms. I could hear Abby following us, so I kept going.

“You’re Danielle, aren’t you?” I kept my smile genuine. “I’m Jazz, we met at that Christmas party.”

The girl looked up through heavy mascara covered eyelashes and let a gleaming smile peek out from her lips.

“Yes, that’s me. And I remember,” she replied pleasantly.

“Well, this is Abby,” I nudged her gently.

Danielle nodded. “You’re Patrick Sharp’s wife, right? And you have a daughter?” Her eyes moved toward Maddy, who was still on my hip.

“Oh no, this is my baby. Can’t you see the resemblance?” I joked sarcastically, holding Maddy up to my face as a comparison.

Danielle looked very unsure, her eyes darting from Abby to me to Maddy. I gave her a few seconds before adding, “I was uh...joking. Of course, this is Maddy; Abby and Patrick’s daughter,” I explained awkwardly.

Abby laughed to try and dissolve the tension, and Maddy joined in for a few seconds, but Danielle barely cracked a smile. This was awkward. Well whatever, I thought the joke was pretty good...but I guess Danielle was not impressed.

“So how did you meet Jonathan? Tell us about the adorable meet-cute the two of you had,” Abby gushed, sitting down next to Danielle eagerly.

“Did you drop your bag and then he helped you pick up all of your stuff?” I guessed with a cheesy smile.

“Or did you get lost and he helped you get home?” Abby continued with a grin.

“Oh I’ve got another one! Or did he pick up your order at Starbucks accidentally on purpose and then write his phone number on your cup?” I added with a giggle.

Danielle looked at us as if we were two five year olds hopped up on sugar. Which, to be fair, was not very far off. She tossed her hair back slowly and offered us a small smile.

“Actually, we met at a bar after one of his games and just really hit it off,” she explained.

“How disappointing,” I joked. “Have you met most of the team?”

She nodded. “Yeah, most of them. They’re a bit rowdy, aren’t they?”

“Boys will be boys,” Abby cheered with a laugh.

“Plus, they’re pretty hilarious,” I added with a grin.

As if he heard me, Adam Burish skated over during a water break to give me a non-so-seductive wink and a wave.

“Hey gorgeous,” he grinned at me.

I waved back. “Hey goofball.”

“Oh, sorry Jazz, I was actually referring to that gem sitting behind you. Hiya, Danielle,” Burish blew her a kiss mockingly.

I stuck my tongue out at him and Danielle looked uncomfortable.

“Adam, you’re scaring the poor girl,” Abby shooed him away, and Adam left with another grin at me.

Danielle turned to me expectantly.

“Are you and Burish dating?” she asked bluntly.

Abby and I shared a look and burst into laughter so loud that baby Maddy jumped and grumbled into my neck. “I’m guessing that’s a no?” Danielle’s perfectly plucked eyebrows rose.

I choked back more laughter. “Your guess would be correct.”

“Jazz is dating Viktor Stalberg,” Abby supplied helpfully.

I shot her a slightly embarrassed look, but Danielle looked very interested, and she leaned forward, her eyes wide.

“Really? For how long?” she asked eagerly.

I leaned away, rather taken aback by her enthusiasm and interest.

“Um, for a few months now, I guess, if you count that charity benefit ball thing,” I looked at Abby questioningly.

“Oh it definitely counts,” she assured me with a wink.

I blushed, and Danielle noticed immediately.

“Did it get hot and heavy?” she asked me like we were the best of friends.

I chuckled nervously. “Um, sure...I guess you could say that.”

Danielle smiled at that, and then we all looked up, since we heard the final whistle that practice was over. A bunch of the guys skated over to say hello after a hard workout.

“Surprise!” I called out to Viktor, whose face clearly told me that he did not know I’d be coming to practice.

He smiled brightly and leaned on the boards in a relaxed pose.

“For what do I owe the pleasure?” he asked smoothly.

I hurried to the boards with Maddy still in tow to give Viktor a quick kiss.

“I just felt like seeing you,” I admitted with another kiss to his lips.

Viktor pouted, eyeing me rather hungrily. “Gotta keep it PG in front of the kids, Stalberg!” I motioned to the baby and gave him a stern look.

“That’s not stopping them,” he pointed over my shoulder with his glove.

I spun around to see Jonathan and Danielle going into some definite rated R, borderline NC-17 areas. I shielded Maddy’s eyes in horror.

“Oh God!” I cried, closing my own eyes, “I think I’m scarred.”

“I think the baby is too,” Viktor joked, taking off his glove and reaching for me again.

I was too preoccupied trying not to look at Jon and his girl but finding it to be rather similar to a train wreck; I just couldn’t seem to look away.

“Hey, I’ll see you after you get cleaned up,” I told Viktor absently, shoving him in the general direction of the showers.

Danielle didn’t seem to care that Jonathan was horrendously sweaty or that there were other people and children around. They were grinding on each other and there were some very sexual noises coming from both of their mouths.

“Ew, look at the show they’re putting on,” Abby pointed out to me, after greeting Sharpie.

I wrinkled my nose. “I tried to shield Maddy.”

“I appreciate that,” Patrick smiled at me. “She is never going to be dating any hockey players, I’ll tell you that much.”

I handed Maddy back to Abby after one last kiss and cuddle and then turned to exit the arena and meet Viktor outside. Jon and Danielle had untangled themselves from each other, so I went to be polite and say goodbye to Danielle.

“Hey, it was nice seeing you, Danielle,” I offered her a smile that I hoped look genuine.

Jon’s lips were swollen and stained with Danielle’s lipstick, but he managed to smirk at me nonetheless. Danielle simpered at me and gave me a slightly forced smile.

“Yeah, same to you, Jazz,” she said my name coolly, like it was some sort of insect.

“We should totally get together and have lunch or dinner or drinks or something,” I rambled on. I probably should have just shut up and left, but I had to add the open invitation.

“Why not tomorrow after the game?” Jon suggested quickly, a glint in his eye. “We can all go.”

“All?” I looked at him questioningly.

He nodded. “Yeah, all of us. You, me, Danielle, and Stalberg.”

I gulped. Didn’t he know politeness from reality? Nobody was actually supposed to take me up on the invitation for any sort of meal. God, didn’t he know anything? Of course, instead of saying any of this, I plastered a smile on my face and nodded.

“Are you sure tomorrow? You’re playing Detroit; what if you lose?” I asked in a falsely sweet voice.

Jon’s eyes darkened and he glared at me.

“I don’t think that’ll be a problem,” he growled irately.

I suffocated my laugh and nodded solemnly.

“Okay, tomorrow after the game it is. How about some steak at Steel Mill?” I offered.

Danielle’s face wrinkled immediately. “Oh, I don’t eat red meat.”

“Oh don’t worry, there’s chicken and stuff at Steel Mill,” I assured her.

“It’s a done deal,” Jonathan decided edgily.

I nodded shortly. “See you then.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys Happy Friday! I can't believe my spring break is almost over...wow that means high school is almost over...oh god. Okay, that was a tangent.

The Blackhawks are playing Detroit and are currently down 1-2, so we'll see if the boys can make a comeback. I hope you like the update; I'll try and update once more before school starts again, but I should probably squeeze in some homework time in there somewhere haha.

ALSO: OMG 25 chapters? Wow, I didn't think I would get this far with this little story. I don't know how/when I'm going to end it, but I'm tentatively thinking I'll try and wrap it up by summertime. We'll see though, I'm not very good at finishing things. :) Let me know what you guys think!