Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

Can't Stop Now

When I met Viktor outside, with his hair wet and a sweatshirt thrown on haphazardly, I let him kiss me but my brain was still livid at Toews and his annoying little dinner invitation.

“Jazz, are you okay?” Viktor wrapped an arm around me and I snuggled into the warmth of his body.

“Yeah, I guess. Oh by the way, we’re going to dinner with Toews and his girlfriend tomorrow, okay?” I said all of this in a rushed way.

Viktor sounded surprised. “What?”

I buried my face into his chest.

“I’m sorry! I kind of mentioned to Danielle that we should get some lunch sometime and then Jon was the one who suggested tomorrow,” I groaned.

Viktor laughed. “If you didn’t want to go, why did you offer?”

I sighed. “It was just good manners! No one was actually supposed to say yes.”

“Why don’t you want to go?” he asked suspiciously. “You and Jon are friends, right?”

I swallowed thickly. “I guess. I just...I don’t know, Danielle bugs me for some reason.”

Viktor looked concerned. “Oh?”

I bit my lip. “Yeah, there’s just something off colour about her. Oh well, it’s probably nothing.” I turned to look at Viktor properly. “Well, we have the whole day to ourselves; what do you want to do with it?”

Viktor gave me a sexy smile and bent down to kiss my jugular softly. I sighed softly and ran my hands through his hair gently. “We have plenty of time for that,” I assured him.

He mumbled something unintelligible and moved up to meet his lips with mine. I smiled into the kiss and wrapped my arms around his neck and arched my body to meet his. He grunted and slowly pulled away, putting more distance between us.

“If we keep going like that, I’ll have to take you right here and people will get a great show,” he whispered in my ear.

I shivered, partly because it was starting to snow and partly because I was very, very turned on at that moment. I cupped his cheek with my hand and smiled.

“How about some lunch?” I asked softly. “Then we can hit a movie and then we have to go back to my place because I won’t be able to last much longer than that.”

Viktor laughed and kissed me again, which drove me crazy.

“Only if it’s a horror movie,” he countered.

My eyes grew wide and I winced. “No deal. See you tomorrow.”

I turned to leave, but Viktor laughed and grabbed my waist with lightning reflexes.

“Just kidding, Jazz. Let’s go, I’m starved.”
~
The next day, I was determined to lie in for as long as possible, since this marked the end of my Christmas break, and tomorrow I would have to be in the office again. I lay around until about eleven, when I decided to read those damn advertising packets and drink coffee at the kitchen counter.

Hailey came home for a quick lunch, so I made a salad and some chicken sausages and served them up for her.

“How’s the bullying campaign going?” she asked curiously as she finished off her salad.

I shrugged. “I read the packets, but none of the ideas really seemed to compel me very much. I want some sort of spokesperson, preferably a celebrity. Hey, do you think Ryan Gosling would be down? I’d love to meet him.”

Hailey laughed. “Gosling is drop dead gorgeous, but aren’t you overlooking something seriously obvious?”

I frowned. “Probably. What is it this time?”

“Well, you’re spending most of your time with Chicago Blackhawks stars! Why don’t you get one of them to be your spokesperson?” Hailey exclaimed.

I nodded slowly. “Yeah...yeah, that might be really cool. I’ll have to talk to Liza...and the boys, obviously, and Coach Q. I don’t want it to look like I’m using the players purely for my own personal gain.”

“It’s a win-win, really,” Hailey explained, “after all, the league looks good if it’s a spokesman for anti-bullying.”

I grinned. “So true! Okay, I’ll mention it to Jonathan and see what he thinks. I think this could be really effective. Hey, Hailey if you ever need a new job, you can come be my partner in crime at the ad agency.”

Hailey beamed. “It’s good to know I have options.”
~
I watched the game in a random seat, away from the wives and the girlfriends, since I really wasn’t in the mood to make small talk. I was watching the game fervently, and could feel my intestines tying into knots as the game went further on. The score was tied 1-1, and the third period was more than halfway through. The game was so back and forth, one second it’s in the Detroit end, and the next it was back in the Chicago end. Niemi was making some incredible saves, and all the boys were blocking shot after shot.

If we lost, I was definitely backing out of the stupid dinner with Jon and Danielle, since that was just a clear recipe for disaster. With two minutes left in the period, I had a feeling this one was going into overtime. I groaned. Overtime and shootouts were very bad for my nerves.

Then, Keith picked up some speed and made an offensive charge, beating two men. He whipped a shot to the goalie; it was a blocker save. Then, Sharp came out of nowhere and cleaned up the rebound; it was soundly in the net. The buzzer went off and the entire crowd erupted with joy. I screamed along with everybody else and exchanged high fives with the strangers around me. I loved how this group of people was tied together due to our love of this team.

I belted out the lyrics to Chelsea Dagger along with the slightly tipsy college kids in front of me, who tried to get my number. Then, I let the rink clear out and after about twenty minutes of milling around; I made my way to the locker room.

I flashed my pass and my smile to the security guards, who let me in without even checking my pass. I like to think it was because of my smile, but it was probably just because they all recognized me by now. I knocked on the door hesitantly.

“Is it safe for me to come in?” I called out.

I heard a muffled “yes,” so I pushed open the door and walked in. Most of the guys were dressed in their suits, including Viktor, who I greeted first.

“Great game,” I said cheerfully before kissing him full on the lips.

His hands found their way to my waist and he snuck them under my shirt.

“You’re wearing the right jersey today,” he replied huskily.

I laughed. “It seemed to give you guys good luck.”

Patrick Sharp walked by, pulling on his blazer, so I gave him a cheer and a pat on the back for the game-winning goal. Kaner gave me a grin and I waved back. He motioned me over to where he was pulling on his shoes, so I patted Viktor’s arm and walked over to Kaner’s cubby.

“I heard about your dinner tonight,” he muttered, his blue eyes twinkling.

I groaned audibly. “Ugh, yeah. I’m so not looking forward to it. At least you boys won; congrats, by the way.”

“Yeah, it always feels good beating Detroit,” Patrick gave me a cheerful smile.

I gave his hair a ruffle playfully.

“Dude, you really need a haircut,” I urged him, running my hand through his unruly locks.

“Everyone keeps saying that. I’m going for the grunge look,” Kaner justified.

I snorted. “Well you certainly look grungy.”

He rolled his eyes and shoved me away, and pushed me directly into a shirtless Jonathan Toews, just my fucking luck.

“I..uh..sorry,” I stuttered stupidly, trying to avert my eyes from his sculpted chest.

“It’s fine,” Jon replied shortly. His voice was as deep and as calm as ever. that idiot...

“So we’ll see you at the restaurant?” I cleared my throat, trying to recover.

“Yeah, let’s say in half an hour?” Jon said before stalking away.

I sniffed, a bit offended. I went back to Viktor, who was now fully dressed and eying me suspiciously.

“What?” I laughed at him as I came back to his side.

“You look flustered,” he remarked, his fingers brushing my cheeks.

I shivered. “Well you tend to have that effect on me,” I teased.

“Glad to hear it,” Viktor wrapped an arm around my waist and grabbed his stuff with the other arm and led me outside.
~
The restaurant was crowded when I arrived. I told Viktor I would meet him there, since I didn’t want to leave my car at the arena. It took me about twenty minutes to get there. The reservation was under my name, so I explained to the woman at the front that I was expecting three other people to be seated with me.

“Oh yes, two have already arrived,” she smiled, pointing at a table in the middle of the restaurant.
It was a pretty posh place, with glass tables and high bar-style chairs. The waiters spoke softly even though the place was pretty loud, and everyone was dressed pretty nicely.

When I arrived at the table, I was disappointed to see that Viktor wasn’t here yet; it was just Jonathan and Danielle.

“Hey guys,” I greeted cheerfully, sliding into a seat across from Jon.

“Hi,” Danielle gave me a smile. “This place is pretty nice.”

I nodded. “Yeah, I bring clients here for work to impress them.”

“Does it work?” Jon asked.

“Well I still have a job, don’t I?” I joked. Neither of them cracked any smiles, so my own grin faded. “Anyway, nice game, Jon.”

A cocky smile appeared on his annoyingly pretty face.

“I told you we would win,” he taunted.

I rolled my eyes. “Well I’m pretty sure Zetterberg alone hit the post like three times, so you got lucky, my dear.”

Jon frowned. “Who are you supporting, anyway?”

I shot him a look. “I support any team that could deflate that ego of yours. I can’t wait for the Sharks to come to town.”

Nobody said anything, and I opened the menu absently. “Right, I think I need a drink,” I announced finally.

“Make that two,” a warm hand touched my back and I craned my neck to look at Viktor, who had just arrived.

“Nice to see you again, Viktor,” Danielle said graciously.

“Hey Stally,” was all Jon said.

The waiter materialized, thank goodness, after seeing that our table was full. I ordered a Pinot wine, keeping it classy, and Viktor did the same. Jon asked for a beer, and Danielle asked for some fruity cocktail that sounded disgusting to me.

Danielle took over the conversation as our food arrived.

“So who would you say is closest on the team? As in on and off the ice?” she asked Jon and Viktor.

Jon laughed nervously. “Probably Bur and Sharpie. Those guys are always up to something fishy.”

“Although Jon and Kaner have their moments,” Viktor winked charmingly.

I laughed as I cut into my steak and took a bite of it. I watched Danielle carefully as she poked at her chicken and took little rabbit bites of it.

“And what’s the one thing you have to do in order to get ready for a big game?” Danielle persisted.

“Go to the bathroom,” Viktor joked. I could tell he was a little put off by the incessant questions.

“Do you really think you’ve got a shot at the cup this year?” Danielle pressed.

Jon’s brow furrowed, as if a bit offended.

“I think we’ve got as good a chance as any of the other teams,” he replied coolly.

I had to butt in there. I took a gulp of wine and turned to Danielle.

“Let’s not talk about hockey; I feel like I’m reliving every post-game live I’ve ever watched. And let’s be honest, they get pretty boring and you can tell all the players are lying their asses off,” I explained candidly.

Viktor laughed. “If I had a dollar for every cliché Tazer used, I’d have enough money to pay off this country’s international debt.”

I choked on my wine and gasped for air, looking like an idiot. Jonathan was shooting daggers at Viktor.

“Yeah, well you try addressing the press every night,” the captain retorted, taking a swig of his beer angrily.
I laughed. “Seriously, Viktor. The Swedish charm only works to a certain extent.”

“It’s still working on you, right?” Viktor flirted.

I blushed madly and turned my gaze to my plate in embarrassment. It was one thing to say flirty things when it was just us, but with other people? My cheeks heated up immediately.

I looked at the table and could see Jon’s hand sitting comfortably on Danielle’s inner thigh. I closed my eyes in annoyance. Really? It’s a fucking glass table, Jon; everybody can see you.
I glanced up to look at Danielle, who seemed rather cool and nonchalant about it. My gaze moved to Jonathan, who was looking at me with an aggressive look in his mouth and a steely look in his eyes.
I frowned at him and returned to my food. I waited until the coffee and desserts (coffee for me, desserts for everyone else) I decided to bring up my anti-bullying campaign.

“Hey, Viktor, Jon, I actually have a favor to ask of you,” I started off nervously.

Jon and Danielle were sharing strawberry shortcake, and both of them looked up nervously. Viktor put down his fork politely and waited for me to speak.

“I’m working on an anti-bullying campaign for work, and I want to have really powerful spokespeople to help expand the cause,” I started unsurely. “And I was hoping that you and some of the other Blackhawks would be interested.”

Viktor squeezed my hand reassuringly.

“I’m always up for promoting a good cause,” he replied quickly. I gave him a grateful smile.

Jon leaned forward, his hand finally leaving Danielle’s thigh.

“Jazz, I think that’s a brilliant idea,” he exclaimed seriously. “I love it.”

A smile spread across my face. “Really? I’m so glad to hear it.”

“Hey, listen, is this a national campaign?” Jon continued, excitement building in his voice.

I wrinkled my brow. “I’m not sure. I think it should be, though.”

“Well I don’t think we should limit ourselves to just the Blackhawks, you know? I think we should extend this to all the teams in the NHL,” Jon suggested.

My eyes widened. “Wow, that’s ambitious. I love the idea, and I really have to talk to my boss first, but if she’s interested...I’m guessing I’ll have to talk to Coach Q?”

Jon nodded. “Yeah, and possibly the general manager too.”

I winced. “Great.”

Viktor laughed. “Trust me, they’re not that bad. And when it’s a great cause like this, you can’t do wrong.”

I beamed with pride. “Thanks for the support guys; I hope it all works out.”

“Well keep me updated,” Jon ordered.

My smile faded slightly. “Of course.”

“Well I’m exhausted,” Viktor sighed, flagging down the waiter for the check.

I nodded in agreement. “Same here.”

After a few minutes of mingling, I said my goodbyes and left. Jon and Danielle drove off first, while Viktor and I lingered near my car.

“So you’re going home?” he asked flirtatiously.

I blushed. “Yes sir.”

“Hmm...are you sure you can drive with all that alcohol you drank tonight?” his husky voice made me smile.

“You drank just as much as I did,” I giggled.

Viktor pondered this. “Right...well, maybe we should just take a cab to be safe.”

I smirked. “I see, and this is all for our safety? No ulterior motives, I’m sure.”

He shook his head. “Never.”

I laughed and stood on my toes to kiss his lips softly. He grabbed my waist and held me there, pulling me close and deepening the kiss. I let out a sigh of admission and sunk into his body completely. He pulled away gently and chuckled.

“So are we taking that cab?” he murmured as he nipped at my earlobe.

I bit my lip. “We’re taking my car. But you are driving because I am way too distracted.”

“Fine.” Viktor didn’t argue and practically dragged me to my car and shoved me into the front seat.

To try and distract us on the way home, I tried to strike up some sort of conversation.

“So you really think the campaign will go well?” I asked quietly, playing with the radio.

Viktor gave me a gorgeous smile.

“I really do.”
~
The next day at work was nerve wracking, since I really wanted Liz to go for my idea. I knocked on her door after lunch and she called me in.

“Hi, Liz,” I greeted her politely and closed the door behind me.

She barely looked up from her laptop but motioned for me to take a seat across from her. I did so and then waited for her to stop typing and look up.

“So what can I do for you today, Jazz? How’s the anti-bullying thing going?” Liz asked directly.

I blinked a couple times before launching into my answer.

“Oh, it’s going well. Actually, I had an idea. I really want to have a powerful voice behind this campaign, and that requires some notable spokespeople,” I started off with a level voice.

“I’m just going to say right now; we are not getting Ryan Gosling. He is so out of our league it’s not even funny,” Liz broke in.

I laughed nervously. “Well, I though he might be, so I talked to some of the Chicago Blackhawks players, including Captain Jonathan Toews, and they were very interested in being figureheads for this cause.”

Liz’s penciled eyebrows shot up. “How did you get a meeting with Jonathan Toews?”

I ducked my head in embarrassment. “He’s actually a friend of mine.”

Her green eyes narrowed. “Are you dating?”

I shook my head violently. “No, we’re just friends. And he really wants to be a part of this, and even suggested we get people from other NHL teams across the nation to be part of it.”

Liz frowned. “That will take time. Lots of meetings, lots of money.”

“I think it’ll pay off,” I countered, “at least here in Chicago. I’m not talking dozens and dozens of players, I’m thinking maybe ten at the most. We can make posters, a couple commercials for TV. It’s a great opportunity.”

She nodded. “No arguments here. But you, my dear, will need to get the permission of all the coaches and players and draw up the contracts.”

“I understand,” I replied.

“And we’ll want high profile to semi high profile players here. If you can’t get Crosby, get Letang. Is that clear?” Liz continued sternly.

I was getting very excited.

“Yes, ma’am. But since this will take a lot more time than I had originally budgeted, is it possible to get a couple months extension?” I squeaked out at the end.

“A couple months? You’re pushing it, Ms. Patil,” Liz stared me down firmly.

“I know,” I admitted, “but how about I try and get Crosby?”

Liz let a smile slip through.

“You’d better get to work, young lady.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Here's a long one for you all!
Happy Saturday! The Sharks lost tonight but I had enough love to finish up this chapter today.

Let me know how you like it! :)

Thanks for reading/subscribing/recommending <3