Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

Watch How You Go

Hailey woke me up at about eight on Sunday to tell me that she was going on a quick trip to New York for a couple days, and she would see me on Wednesday when she gets back.

“I’m sorry for what I said last night,” I sat up from bed and ran over to give her a quick hug.

She smiled wryly. “I know. I understand what you were saying, though. Shawn and I...we’re taking a few days to figure out what we want. This trip comes at a good time. I want to see if I...miss him.”

“Have a good time. It’s New York, after all,” I reminded her with a grin.

“Thanks Jazzy. See you later, okay?” She gave me another hug and then hurried out of our apartment.

I went for a quick shower and pulled on some leggings and a long gray sweater with half sleeves. I had a no plans except for a lazy Sunday, so I left my face bare and settled in for a day of catching up on Downton Abbey. I got hungry at about nine-thirty, but found no bread in our cabinets. I sighed. This meant a trip to the local supermarket. I left my hair in its naturally wavy, curly glory and made the quick trip down the road for some bread and maybe some fruit.

I smiled on my way back. The sun was out for once, warming my fingers as I made my way back to my apartment. As I got there, a jogger stopped at my building and pressed the buzz button to some room incessantly.

“Excuse me, do you know someone – Jon!” I cried out in shock when I realized who the jogger was.

“Oh! Jazz there you are! I was just running by and I thought I’d stop by and say hello,” he looked just as surprised to see me, but probably less embarrassed, since he looked amazing.

I, however, was sweating. It was one thing for him to see me on a Friday night, when I was wearing a sexy dress and my make up and hair were done perfectly. Today, however, in my leggings and my curly hair, and a naked face, I was mortified.

“Oh! That’s lovely of you. Would you like to come up?” I managed to say, choking back my fear.

Jon looked concerned. “Only if you’re not busy.”

I batted my hand at him. “Oh no. Nothing going on today.”

“At least let me take your groceries,” he offered kindly.

“Deal,” I agreed with a smile, handing him the paper bag and walking into the lobby.

As we stood in the elevator, I felt grateful that I was only on the eighth floor, because I couldn’t stand the tension. Jon looked adorable in his running clothes, huge, carrying my shopping for me. My heart melted.

“I’m sorry,” I said as I opened my apartment door, “I wasn’t expecting any company.”

“I won’t judge,” he teased, “you haven’t seen my place yet.”

Yet?

“Do you want some coffee or something?” I asked politely, walking towards the kitchen.

He nodded. “That would be nice, thanks Jazz.”
“Can you put the groceries on the counter?” I pointed to a clear spot. “I’ll put them away later.”

Jon did as he was told and then leaned on the counter and watched me make the coffee. I felt his stare on my back and my cheeks grew hot.

I offered him a cup and then I looked at him with narrowed eyes. “Can I ask you something?”

He swallowed his gulp of coffee and then nodded. “Sure.”

“Why are you here?” I said it with a smile to soften the blow.

Jon’s cheeks tinged pink. I made him blush? That’s different.

“I...I had fun the other night. With you,” he chose his words carefully.

A smile slipped past my lips. “Really? I thought I was being an idiot. In fact, I think I’m still being an idiot.”

Jon laughed. I jumped a bit. I hadn’t seen him really laugh before.

“You’re not an idiot. You’re nice. I just...it’s been a while since I’ve met a girl who didn’t jump all over me. I liked it,” he explained, his fingers fiddling with his shirt.

I nodded encouragingly. “I imagine it could be a bit of a relief.”

“It is. Anyway, I was hoping we could be friends,” Jon looked down at me almost pleadingly.

I blinked. “Friends?”

“I don’t have many girl type friends, you see. And I think you’re great,” his voice was getting a bit less calm and his words were coming out faster than before.

I chuckled. “Sure, Jon. We can be friends. After all, you’ve seen my apartment at its messiest, and you’ve seen me with no make-up on. There’s no way you’re attracted to me now!” I was teasing, and he cracked a smile, but his eyes were combing over my face, probably wondering why I looked so strange.

“Awesome!” he said it excitedly but his face was still calm, staring at me.

“Do friends hug?” I joked, holding out my arms.

He frowned. “I’m a bit sweaty.”

“I can take it, Jon,” I rolled my eyes and walked towards his solid mass of body. His arms could probably wrap around me twice, and I’m pretty sure he’s nearly a foot taller than me, but he was very warm, and I pressed my cheek into his rock hard chest. Jesus. Okay, let go now Jazz.

I pulled back and then reached for my coffee again. “I watched the game last night.”

Jon smirked. “Oh yeah?”

“Don’t looks so proud, mister hero of the game,” I jibed, shoving his arm jokingly.

“I was pretty good though, right?” Jon pressed, smiling again.

“Can I plead the fifth?"
♠ ♠ ♠
shorter than the other two. Oh well, big stuff happens!