Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

Wake Up

Third Person

The sound of his blades gliding over the smooth ice had never sounded better to Jonathan. He even caught himself closing his eyes momentarily, blocking out the sound of his teammates and straining to hear that crisp sound coming from his feet.

“You forgotten how to skate, Tazer?” Kris Versteeg heckled as he sped past Jon, skating backwards and grinning.

Jon’s eyes snapped back into focus. “You forgotten how to chirp, Steeger?” he retorted.

Kris laughed and gave him the finger before turning around and pushing a pile of pucks onto the ice. Jonathan picked up the pace and circled around the rink with a puck in his position. It felt good to be back at practice again. It felt so good that he almost didn’t mind doing the suicides at the end of practice. Almost.

“How are the new digs working out?” Sharpie poked Kaner with his stick playfully. “Has she threatened to kick you out yet?”

Kaner gave his teammate a peeved look. “It’s only been a couple weeks.”

“Well that’s long enough to realize what a slob you are,” Sharp teased.

Kaner rolled his eyes. “I’m not that bad.”

Jonathan coughed loudly. “Kaner I lived with you for years. And let me tell you; you are pretty bad.”

Kaner made a face. “Well I’m not that bad anymore, then,” he revised.

“Oh? And what has prompted such a change in your habits, Kaner?” Duncan Keith joined the conversation with a wicked gleam in his eyes.

Kaner looked cornered now. “It’s just different when you live with a girl I guess. She’s all clean and neat so you feel like you should be too.”

Most of the guys around them laughed, and even Jonathan was fighting a grin. Most of the team found it hilarious that Pat was now living with Jon’s girlfriend before Jon would ever live with her. Kaner endured lots of teasing, and even Jon was a victim to a few jests. Jonathan was dreading the next team event, where Jazz would probably be peppered by jokes and queries from his teammates.

Nevertheless, the team was in a good mood. Everybody was excited to be back on the ice and there were smiles all over the locker room. Some of the players from the previous season had been traded, which was always difficult, but most of the team accepted it as a part of being a hockey player. Niemi had been a UFA this year, so San Jose had scooped him up. We were unsurprised. Nemo had been flaky this year, but he was a decent all-round goalie and somebody was bound to bring him on board. Jazz had been thrilled, saying Nemo would help fill the large hole that Nabokov had left behind when he left the NHL and moved to Russia.

The core group had remained, though, and Jon was thankful for that. As the sound of laughter, pucks hitting the wall, and the gliding movements of a blade on ice filled the practice arena, Jonathan smiled to himself. It was hockey time again.
~

Jazz

The phone rang at 12, just as I was biting into my sandwich in my office.

“Hello,” I answered it thoughtlessly with my sandwich in my mouth.

“It’s me,” Jon’s cheerful voice greeted me.

I smiled and put down my sandwich, kicking off my shoes and leaning back in my chair in a relaxed manner.

“How was the first practice?” I asked excitedly.

“It feels so good to skate again, Jazz. It was great to see everyone again. I loved it,” he replied calmly but his voice was full of enthusiasm that I only really heard when he was talking about his team.

“I’m so glad,” I replied genuinely.

There was a small pause until Jonathan broke it. “Hey, do you have plans tonight?”

I shrugged. “Not really. Just more procrastination. I’ll leave my work for Sunday night and then kick myself for it later.

Jonathan laughed. “Well if you’re not going to be working; have dinner with me.”

I smirked. “That sounds like a good method of procrastination.”

“My place at eight,” he ordered.

“Bossyboots,” I retorted before hanging up and texting him a quick “I’ll see you then.”

I finished my sandwich eagerly. My weekend was looking better.
~
I arrived at Jonathan’s place at 8:10 because I’m never exactly on time to places. I just like to arrive fashionably late, and I despised getting there early. I was clutching a bottle of wine that I had picked up at the local grocery shop on the way over. In any case, it had been five dollars and I wanted to contribute to the evening somehow. Jonathan only ever had beer at his place.

The doorman waved me in and I rode the elevator up, fidgeting. It seemed like every date we went on had the potential to be the night where we slept together for the first time, so I tried to be prepared. My legs were shaved, I was wearing my cute underwear, and my lacy dress was just provocative enough to be considered sexy yet reasonable at the same time.

I reached his door and knocked firmly, but there was no answer. I knocked a little harder this time, my eyes scanning the numbers on the door to make sure I had the right apartment. This was definitely Jon’s apartment, but there was no response to my knocking.

I pulled out my phone and sent him a text; I didn’t think you could get stood up when your date is at the guy’s apartment.

It took fifteen seconds for a reply to buzz into my phone.

No guy could stand you up. I’m on the roof barbecuing; would you like to join me?

I rolled my eyes and made my way to the staircase that led to the roof. I took my time going up the stairs in the tall wedges that I was wearing. I finally pushed open the metal door and gasped when I stepped out onto the roof. The sun was just setting; remnants of a summer evening, and Jonathan was indeed standing behind a barbeque. There was a table set for two, and bean bags and loungers all surrounding a giant fire pit, where a small fire was already burning. Fairy lights twinkled from every crevice, and candles littered the table, which I am sure was a fire hazard.

“This isn’t real,” I said numbly as I walked towards the table in awe.

Jonathan looked anxiously at me.

“Well then we’re both having delusions,” he replied with a small smile.

I walked over to him and kissed him firmly on the mouth.

“This is amazing...I...I don’t even know what to say right now, except that the food smells delicious and this is amazing,” I babbled uselessly.

He laughed and kissed me back, pulling me in close and squeezing my waist. I glanced at the barbeque.

“It’s chicken and bell peppers and corn,” Jon supplied as I gave him an eager look.

I groaned. “You’re perfect.”

“Right back at you,” he whispered before kissing me tantalizingly softly on my cheek before picking up his tongs and checking the meat. “It looks ready. Go grab the plates and I’ll serve us.”

I walked dreamily over to the table and picked up the plates and brought them back to the barbeque where Jon filled them with mouthwatering food.

As we ate, we watched the sun go down and as the sky grew darker, the firelight grew stronger, and the fairy lights twinkled a little bit brighter. After dinner, we sat near the bonfire, snuggled up on one bean bag and sharing a blanket. We talked quietly while the fire crackled and the air got cooler. I pressed my body into every contour of his and he responded by wrapping his arms even tighter around me and playing absently with my hair.

“I never thought you were the romantic type, Jonathan, but it looks like I was wrong,” I murmured as his lips grazed my ear.

“Well I am an onion,” he replied cryptically.

I gave him a puzzled look before it dawned on me. “You have layers,” I concluded with a laugh.

He nodded and used his hand to run a finger down the side of my face. I shivered pleasantly and closed my eyes. His hands cupped my jaw and soon his lips met mine. I shifted so that I was sitting in his lap, almost straddling him, and wrapped my arms around his neck. His hands stroked my sides gently, his fingers barely grazing my breasts. Even at the slightest touch I felt my body respond heavily.

“As romantic as this is,” I said in between kisses as he cupped my cheek gently. “I think we should relocate to your apartment.”

Jon let out a muffled laugh. “You mean you don’t want our first time to be on a rooftop?”

My laugh turned into a groan as Jonathan’s kisses made their way down my neck and towards the swell of my breasts.

“Jesus Christ. We have to move now, otherwise I really will let you take me on a rooftop,” I murmured, pulling his head up.

Jonathan gave me an impatient look. “Fine,” he replied tersely. He blew out the candles hurriedly and then pulled me to my feet. My entire body felt like it was on fire, and when Jonathan grasped my arm and led me forcefully to the door to the building, my heart rate sped up even more if that was possible. We raced down the stairs, and ran to his apartment door, and I kissed his shoulder while he fumbled for his keys. When he finally got the door open, I practically ran to his bedroom and sank into the soft, memory foam mattress. He was not far behind.

“Wow, this bed is really comfortable,” I remarked, sinking my head into the pillows fully. “I think I could fall asleep right this minute.

Jonathan smirked and brought his lips onto my collar bone, trailing kisses down into the valley between my breasts.

“Is that so?” he queried sardonically.

My breath hitched in my throat and I reached up and unbuttoned Jonathan’s shirt brazenly.

“No,” I admitted, smiling at the sight of his half-naked body looming over me. “I don’t think I’ll be sleeping at all tonight.”
~

My eyelids fluttered open and I felt my eyelashes brush something solid as I did so. My vision was blurry for a few seconds and I blinked a few extra times to get a clear picture of where I was. All I could see was a large mass of slightly tanned skin. I frowned and squeezed my eyes shut and reopened them, hoping that the image would change.

“That tickles. Are those your eyelashes?” Jonathan croaked, his voice heavy with sleep.

I smiled as memories of last night flooded into my mind. My face was pressed into Jon’s firm chest and only a sheet covered our bodies. I scooted up so that I was at his eye-level.

“You know, usually when I wake up, the first thing I see is my alarm clock. This is a serious improvement, let me tell you,” I told him with a smile.

His brown eyes looked at me intently before closing again.. “Right back at you.”

I gazed at him wordlessly for a few seconds before slipping out of bed and pulling on a discarded shirt that was probably Jonathan’s and hurrying to the bathroom. I took my time freshening up, taking a shower, brushing my teeth, and using the toilet before emerging. Jonathan was awake by the time I emerged. He was sitting on the edge of the bed watching the television when I walked in with nothing but a towel in.

I sat next to him and wasn’t surprised to see ESPN playing on the TV.

“I don’t know why you bother with ESPN; it’s not like they give hockey any coverage whatsoever,” I remarked dryly.

Jonathan gave me a knowing look. “You’re crushing my dreams here.”

I smiled and kissed his cheek softly before reaching for the dress I had worn the night before. Jonathan grabbed my arm quickly, pulling me closer to him.

“Are you okay?” he asked worriedly.

I gave him a strange look. “I’m more than okay.”

He didn’t look convinced. “You sort of jumped out of bed rather quickly. Was last night...was I not...was it not.. um..as good for you?”

I almost laughed at the anxiety in his voice. I kissed his mouth firmly, nibbling his bottom lip gently.

“Jonathan Toews, last night was amazing. I’m sorry I didn’t make that clear this morning, but I thought my feelings were made pretty clear last night,” I said meaningfully.

A hint of red dusted Jonathan’s cheeks and he looked slightly relieved. He tugged cheekily at my towel and I gave him an impish look before shoving him towards the bathroom.

I pulled on my dress, glancing at the slightly wrinkled fabric with a frown. I should have thought ahead and packed an outfit to change into with me. I never seemed to have the forethought to plan ahead in these situations.

Jonathan soon emerged from the bathroom, wet and with a towel wrapped around his lower body. I gulped nervously and quickly turned to the mirror and tried to fix my day-old hair.

“Walking out in the same outfit as last night?” he asked teasingly, watching my expression closely as he went to his drawers to find some clothes.

I shrugged. “Unless you have some jeans in size four womens, I don’t think I really have an option.”

He smirked. “You could leave in your towel. That looked pretty nice to me.”

I chuckled, but quickly averted my eyes as Jonathan dropped the towel unabashedly and pulled on some underwear.

“Going all shy, Jazz? You’ve seen it all now,” he winked at me.

“Well it’s always different in the morning,” I muttered, feeling prudish.

Jon grabbed a t-shirt and strode across the room to where I was standing, my dress only half zipped and my face flustered and red.

“Why are you acting like this was some sort of a booty call?” he asked, his voice unbelievably soft and his face ever so kind.

I sniffed. “I’m not.”

He gave me a disbelieving look. “Jazz. You roll out of bed the second you wake up, even though it’s a Saturday and you told me you didn’t have any plans. You won’t look at me properly, and you’re acting really nervous, like you have to leave before I make you.”

I frowned, and Jonathan turned my shoulders gently and then zipped up my dress properly, kissing my shoulder softly.

“It felt strange...to wake up in a bed with you. I mean we’ve been hanging out and kissing and everything for months, but to sleep with you...it was very intimate. And you seemed closed off when you woke up. I thought you were re-considering everything...concerning us.”

Jonathan smiled. “You read too much into things. I was just tired, Jazz. We were up pretty late,” he shot me a meaningful glance and I blushed again.

“So you still want to...date? Even though you’ve already scored the home run?” I asked meekly.

He laughed before kissing my lips. “Of course I do. So listen, if you want to go home now, you can. But I would really like to spend the day with you.”

“Even in my day-old dress?” I laughed.

Jonathan grinned. “Of course. But if you’re feeling uncomfortable about it, we can stay in and do things that require no clothes whatsoever.”

I rolled my eyes but kissed him nevertheless.

“Tell you what,” I broke away to say. “Let’s compromise. I’ll go home, change, and you can pick me up in half an hour, and we can still spend the day together.”

Jon pretended to mull this over while he played with the hem of my dress. I kissed his collar persuasively, making my way down his chest.

He took in his breath sharply. “You’re a hell of a negotiator,” he stammered.

I smiled. “See you in half an hour Jonathan.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys, here's the next chapter! Hockey season is so close I can taste it so I wanted to include that beginning part with Toews on the ice to imagine what the players are thinking now that their sport is back!

I hope you guys like this chapter; things got a little steamy, but I'm not super confident writing sex scenes...because I've never experienced it! (or anything close...*sigh*)

I leave for University NEXT WEEK SO I'm kind of freaking out. Sorry for the rant here; I'll try and and get a couple more chapters up before I...move. *gulp*