Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

Daydreamer

[A/N] I apologize to Jonathan Toews as I proceed to make up a lot of his family. Well, this is FICTION after all, no matter what my brain says sometimes.

Christmas Eve dinner involved inviting extended family from all corners of Canada. I stood nervously next to Jonathan as aunts and uncles and cousins and nieces and nephews came pouring in. They were all very gracious and curious about me, but I was nervous and cracked bad jokes with everyone. They must have thought I was deluded. After dinner I offered to play games with the kids, and Jonathan joined me. It made me smile at how much he clearly loved them and how much the children looked up to him.

“Look out, there’s a hurricane coming,” he was calling out as he blew gently on the city they had built with building blocks.

“OH NO!” they all yelled, as the towers came crumbling down.

I giggled. “Don’t worry guys, the government has send aid and we will help rebuild the city.”

Jonathan gave me a lopsided grin and we both set up the towers again.

The kids fell asleep early, despite their insistence on waiting for Santa Claus. Once they did, I was drawn into conversation with the adults, which ended up pretty nice. Someone handed me a glass of wine and a slice of cake, which I accepted mostly because it took too long to explain to humans how another human could dislike sweet things. We played Christmas music and Jonathan kept an arm around my waist for most of the night.

We were all slouched on the couch or chair or even the floor and the family was exchanging nostalgic stories, mostly about Jonathan and David, which they both took well, even as I giggled constantly and poked him in the ribs teasingly whenever he blushed a tiny bit.

The parents got pretty drunk, laughing uproariously and making weird 70’s references that only they understood. At one in the morning they struck up a game of drunk charades, and David, Jon, and I slunk out of the room and into our respective rooms.

I sighed in relief and took off my dress and was searching for my pajamas with a yawn when I heard the door open. I jumped three feet in the air and grabbed a pillow to hide my mostly naked body.

“It’s only me,” Jonathan chuckled, walking in and closing the door.

“At least lock it,” I whispered furiously. He did, and then walked towards me.

I fidgeted. “I’m a bit tired...maybe we could call it a night?”

Jon’s eyebrows rose. “Is that what you want?” he asked as he moved closer and gently took the pillow away from me. His gaze roved unabashedly over my body and I shivered, goosebumps rising all over my body.

I blushed. “No,” I admitted, rubbing my arms to smooth over the goosebumps.

“Let’s warm you up,” he offered, sitting on the edge of my bed and pulling me into his lap to kiss me. His fingers grazed my thighs and I made a soft noise before opening my mouth and deepening the kiss almost immediately.

“Jazz, there’s something I need to say,” Jonathan broke away to say as I grasped his shirt and unbuttoned it so I could run my fingertips down his firm chest.

“Can it wait?” I growled as I straddled him and brought my lips to his again.

He kissed me back, but gently pulled away again.

“I love you,” he said simply.

I was breathing heavy, and I was conscious of my chest rising and falling dangerously close to his face. Yet, his eyes remained on mine.

“Jon?” my voice broke. “I...is it because I’m practically naked and I’m sitting on you?” I asked worriedly.

He laughed, placing his hands on my waist. “No, although this is pretty nice. I’ve wanted to say it for a while. I almost said it when we were in my truck, but I changed my mind. I almost told you at Hailey and Brent’s wedding...but I...well quite frankly I chickened out.”

I blinked stupidly. “You could have told me, Jon. Because I...I love you too! Of course I do. God, I...I've felt that for you for a long time now. I just haven’t...been brave enough either.”

Jonathan’s fingers traced circles on my abdomen, his eyes molten and staring impenetrably into mine. I kissed him again, wrapping my legs around him properly.

“Jon, I love you too,” I choked, feeling tears rush forward.

Jonathan looked alarmed and he immediately brushed my tears away and pulled me even closer, so that my breasts were pressed tightly against his chest.

“Come here,” he whispered gruffly, pulling me onto the bed and leaning over me to kiss my collarbone and unfasten my bra.

We made love gently and slowly, Jonathan telling me over and over that he loved me. I said it to him in so many words, showing him rather than saying it. Once it was over, I lay on his chest and the tears streamed down my face, and I could do nothing to stop them.

“I didn’t think you could love me,” I laughed tearfully, “at least not as much as I love you.”

It was such an insecure thing to say, but I said it anyway, regretting it almost instantly. Jonathan’s arms tightened around me and he kissed my cheek and tasted my tears.

“This is cheesy of me to say but...I don’t think you realize how impossible it is for me to fathom that. I love you just as much as you love me, actually I might love you more,” was the soft reply.

We lay there for a few more minutes before I smiled.

“Merry Christmas Jon,” I murmured before closing my eyes and letting sleep claim me.
~

We all slept in late, especially Jon’s parents, since they were seriously drunk last night, which we both found rather funny. I loved waking up in Jonathan’s arms, but it felt even sweeter today. It was Christmas, and were in love. I was in love. I felt a small tickle on my sternum and I sighed in contentedly and opened my eyes slowly.

Jonathan was dragging his finger down into the valley of my breasts and down to my belly button. His eyes were firmly on his finger.

“Go any lower and we’ll never leave this damn bed,” I whispered teasingly.

He shot me a boyish grin. “Well maybe that was the plan.”

I cupped his jaw. “We can’t, silly. It’s Christmas! We have to get up...and find pajamas, since I don’t think going down in the buff is very appropriate. Although, I don’t know what your family’s Christmas traditions are.”

He rolled his eyes. “We remain fully clothed, I promise.”

“Right!” I said decidedly. “Let’s start the day!”

Jonathan kissed the skin remarkably near my chest and I sucked in a breath swiftly, clenching my fists.

“It’s very hard to wake up next to a beautifully naked woman and then just let her get up,” he said grouchily as I slipped out of the covers and looked for my underwear and my pajamas.

“Come on, how can you be thinking about sex with silly me when it’s Christmas!” I cheered, yanking on my red plaid pajamas, decidedly the least sexy thing I owned.

“Sex and Christmas would be a great combination,” he grinned cheekily. But he sat up, pulling on a shirt over his boxers and then some pajama bottoms as well.

“Let’s go! I bet everyone else is already down there,” I egged him on, throwing the bedroom door open and pulling him along with me.

“I bet we’re the first ones down,” Jonathan grumbled, rubbing his eyes tiredly.

“It’s nearly eleven. They'll be up by now,” I retorted, running down the stairs.

I was right. The Toews family was gathered around the gas fireplace and were wide awake, sipping coffee and laughing about something or another.

“Merry Christmas!” I called out as I stumbled into a seat onto the sofa with a grin.

“Merry Christmas!” they chorused back cheerfully. A cup of coffee was pressed into my hand and I sank into the settee and smiled at the tree.

“Looks like Santa’s been here,” Jonathan noted as he took a seat next to me and took a gulp of coffee. He winced slightly and I could tell he had burned his mouth.

“We were all good this year too, it seems!” David added excitedly, eyeing the generous pile of gifts eagerly.

“Remember Jazz is here, so there’s more gifts in general,” Andree pointed out gently.

“I think it’s because I’ve been extra good this year,” Jon remarked with a grin.

We all laughed at that, and David threw a pillow at his brother in protest. Someone got up and put on some Christmas music and there was a surreal moment where the group of us listened to the carols and looked at the beautiful Christmas tree and just smiled to ourselves. The moment didn’t last long, since Jonathan was the one to run and slide onto his stomach.

“Let’s do this! I’ll hand them out,” he declared excitedly.

The parcels were handed out and thankfully Andree seemed to like the wine charms I had assembled for her and she also adored the scarf I had found for her. She was very energetic in her thanks, kissing me on the cheeks several times. Bryan was slightly more restrained in his thanks, but he was genuine nevertheless. I had painted him a ceramic picture frame. I blushed as he complimented my handiwork; I felt like a 12 year old presenting gifts to my teachers.

Jonathan and David both liked the plates I had stenciled and painted for them, and Jonathan was in awe at the watch I had picked out for him.

“Wow, you know him perfectly,” Andree noted approvingly. “That’s exactly what I would have bought him.”

Bryan and David both admired the watch too, and Jonathan pressed a kiss onto my cheek. I could have sworn my face was on fire at that moment.

Bryan, Andree, and David presented me with a beautiful new tote bag for everyday use. It looked expensive and I was terribly flattered that they had been so thoughtful. Andree also gave me a turquoise pashmina, since she told me that Jonathan had told her it was my favourite color. It was my turn to hug her now, since I was touched by the whole family.

Jonathan pulled me aside while the rest of his family opened more gifts in order to give me my gift. It was a small, slender box and I knew it was jewelery. I opened it slowly and there were a pair of dreamcatcher earrings, ever so delicate and elegant. I stared at them speechlessly for a while.

“I um...they should match a necklace I gave you last year...if you, remember,” he stuttered nervously.

I smiled at him and reached under my pajama shirt and pulled out the chain that I was wearing. It was the one he had given me; I had put it on shortly before coming downstairs.

“Yeah, I remember, you big softie. I really never knew you were this romantic,” I laughed, putting the box down and kissing him full on the lips quickly, forgetting about his family standing in the adjacent room.

“I love you,” he offered shyly, as if I had changed my mind about loving him since last night.

“I love you,” I echoed, slipping my hand into his and smiling at him brightly.

“Alright break it up you two, I’m about to barf up my coffee,” David yelled from across the room.

I blushed and tore my gaze from Jonathan self consciously. Andree was beaming at the two of us and even Bryan had a small smile on his face. I was quiet for the rest of the morning, just holding Jonathan’s hand, laughing at David’s comments and Jonathan’s irritation.

Christmas was low key, with family members milling in and out of the house. I mingled dutifully, and sang Christmas carols loudly with the kids, but really just wanted to escape all the people and take a walk.

I subtly began to put on more layers and gathered up my hat and gloves and slipped into the laundry room to get dressed. I waited for the sound of footsteps and voices to move toward the living room and then made a dash for the back door. I was one foot out the door when a hand grasped my wrist. I stumbled back and turned around to see Jonathan bundled up in a coat and scarf with a knowing smile on his face.

“Going out on a walk?” he asked gently, pulling on his gloves.

I nodded dumbly. “Are you coming with me?”

His eyebrows rose in trepidation. “Do you want me to?”

I pondered it for less than a second before taking his hand and wordlessly leading him outside. The snow was thick and there were fresh flakes drifting onto the ground. I looked upwards thoughtfully, and watched the flurry cover the ground in a powdery blanket. Everything was prettier with snow. The telephone poles, the garbage bins, the mailboxes...they both looked gorgeous with a coat of snow dusting them.

“I just wanted to get out of there for a bit,” I told Jon, not wanting to seem like I was trying to be rude.

“I know,” he replied. “There’s a lot of people.”

I turned to look at him. There were snowflakes in his hair and his cheeks were rosy from the cold.

“This has been an amazing Christmas,” I whispered, wrapping my arms around his bicep and snuggling up to his warm body.

He looked down at me with a large grin on his face. “I’m so happy you enjoyed it.”

I nodded. “I love Canada...I almost don’t want to leave.”

“One more day,” Jonathan soothed, kissing the top of my head. “And then it’s back to Chicago.”
~

Boxing Day flew by in a whirlwind of packing up our things and saying goodbye to all the relatives that stopped by specifically to see Jonathan, who they wouldn’t see until the summer, most likely. Before I knew it we were on an airplane. We spent most of the flight asleep, catching up on the hours we had missed out on the night before. I could tell Jonathan wanted to stay longer, but I was keen to get back to the city by new years.

Hailey and Seabrook were co-hosting a party for everyone, and Jonathan readily agreed to go, but the two of us both felt pangs when we actually had to leave Canada. I really liked Jonathan’s family and they were so sweet to me.

“I’ll have to send your parents at least three more thank-you cards,” I remarked as Jonathan’s car pulled up at my apartment.

He chortled. “They enjoyed having you, Jazz. Mum pulled me aside to tell me that about four times.”

“Still,” I reasoned, unbuckling my seatbelt and turning to smile at Jon. “Do you want to come in, or are you going to head back to your place?”

“I’ll head back; I need to organize some stuff and sleep for a few more hours,” he admitted, rubbing his eyes.

I nodded understandingly. “I thought so; you’ve been awake for ages. Can you drive? You can just nap here if you want.”

Jonathan shook his head. “Don’t worry; it’s not far. I’ll call you later.”

I leaned across the gear shift and kissed him tenderly.

“Love you,” I grinned before stepping out of the car to grab my bags and then heading inside.

There’s a particular scent I associate with my apartment. It smelled like laundry detergent, Lysol, Febreze, and...home. I was surprised to smell any of them when I walked into my place, but I could definitely smell some Febreze.

“Pat are you home?” I called from the entryway, closing the door behind me and shoving my bags into a corner.

Patrick poked his head around his door and pulled a face.

“Of course dear!” he replied, walking out cheerfully. “Jazz!”

I laughed as he offered me a hug and I jumped right into it. He gave me a tight squeeze before letting go.

“How was your Christmas?” I asked him conversationally.

Pat grinned. “It was great! I just got back this morning, actually.”

“And how was the glorious city of Buffalo?” I teased, flicking his shoulder.

“Still utterly glorious and free,” he bantered, rolling his eyes and grabbing my bags for me and putting them in my room.

I yawned. “Thanks Pat.”

“So did you enjoy Canada?” he waggled his eyebrows suggestively.

I reddened. “I had a great time; it was lovely meeting Jon’s family and spending Christmas with them all.”

“You look happy,” Patrick remarked. “I’m glad you really did enjoy yourself.”

I nodded, trying to think of a way to change the subject, because I could feel my entire body sweating.

“So are you going to Hailey and Brent’s New Years Eve party?” I questioned, sitting down on the couch and folding my legs lazily.

“Wouldn’t miss it!” Pat’s eyes glinted.

I frowned. “What have you got planned, mister? You have a very fishy look about you.”

He shrugged. “I don’t know what you’re talking about. Do you want some tea?”

I knew he was trying to change the subject but I let him. I wondered what Pat was going to do at the party, but I eventually brushed it off. Knowing him, it probably had to do with some unsuspecting girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
HERE YA GO READERS
Sorry it's taken me so long!
but WOW FIFTY CHAPTERS OMGGG

let me know what you think!

Title: Young the Giant