Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

Someday

The next day I thought about calling Jonathan in the morning but I told myself that it would be a waste of time and instead I forced myself to get dressed and head to work. That day was a blur. In fact, that entire work week was a bit of a blur. I did work, but it was all routine, menial tasks. There were no big projects coming up, and I was left sitting in my office trying to find ways to not think about Jonathan.

I did crosswords, quizzes, bought an actual newspaper to read, and reorganized my entire office. It was a couple of weeks before I started to read poetry and got caught up in it. I was reading Pablo Neruda when Liza knocked on my door forcefully.

I was suddenly glad I had made a proper effort with my outfit today. I was wearing my black business skirt and a light blue blouse. My hair was even straightened, and I looked put together for the first time in a few weeks.

“Jazz,” she greeted warmly. “How are you doing?”

Liza knew my relationship with Jon had ended. She had noticed my behaviour immediately and pulled me aside to ask me what was wrong. I couldn’t think of anything fast enough so I just told her.

“Better,” I lied, forcing a smile onto my face. “What can I do for you? Is there a big campaign lined up for me yet?”

Liza looked composed. “Well, actually, yes there is.”

My face genuinely lit up with excitement and I thanked the Gods for this miracle. I needed something major to keep busy with.

“Great!” I exclaimed. “Lay it on me!”

Liza took a seat in the chair that sat on the other side of my desk. She folded her arms on her lap and suddenly looked very serious. My stomach clenched nervously.

“A really huge opportunity has come up for you, Jazz. They’ve asked for you personally. But it’s in Pittsburgh,” she explained, her lips pursed tightly.

I exhaled. Oh. Pittsburgh. That was a city. It was really only a few states away, but in my mind it was a foreign land. I had been in Chicago for six years now. I finally knew which streets were the sketchist.

“Pennsylvania,” I said stupidly. “Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.”

“Yes,” Liza replied carefully. “The Penguins were quite adamant about using you especially.”

I rubbed my temples. “Oh? And how long would I have to be there?”

“About six months at most, I would say. Knowing you, it’ll probably be less,” Liza tried to make me smile, but I was expressionless. “Look, I know you’re having a hard time here right now and I think a new city and a change of pace could be really good for you and-”

“I’ll do it,” I cut her off. I didn’t have to think too hard to realize that this was perfect timing. I could leave Chicago and not have to see Jon or Pat or any of the guys for a while, since I knew it would be painful. It was kind of perfect. Pittsburgh was nothing like Chicago and I would probably dislike it at first, but I would get used to it.

Liza was ecstatic, and she spent the next half hour giving me the rundown on my new company paid apartment, car, and airline tickets to Pittsburgh. I was moving in one week. It was bizarre. She bought me lunch and then I was sent home. That was my last day in the office for six months.
~

I spent most of my last week packing and with Hailey, who was desperate to see me while she still could. Pat had been totally shocked by the news but took it well. He admitted that he had been looking for his own place for a couple weeks and would probably move out within a few months. I didn’t really have to tell anyone else, except my parents. They were both rather surprised, but there wasn’t much they could do to change the situation, so they simply congratulated me and told me to send them my new address and phone number as soon as possible.

I told my landlord that Patrick would take over the payments for a few months before we found someone who would move in temporarily...if that ever happened.

I packed only my clothes, since Liza informed me that my apartment there was fully stocked and furnished, so I needed nothing but my personal items. It made packing easier, but I still had a lot of it to do.

Hailey helped me, though, and we got it done. On my second to last day at home, we both cried in our old living room.

“It’s the end of an era,” she blubbered. It was probably the pregnancy hormones talking.

I laughed tearily. “I love you so much Hailey. Just think; when I get back, you’ll be a mom!”

That only made her cry harder, and Brent had to pull her out into his car. He was nice, giving me a hug and telling me I’ll do great wherever I am. He gave me a quick hug and then hurried off to console his crying, pregnant wife.

Pat offered to drive me and my three suitcases to the airport, and I gladly accepted. It was about seven in the morning when we set off. We loaded up his car, played some loud rock music and bantered like we used to. It was light, nothing serious and nothing about Jon, but it was nice.

He rolled two of my suitcases to the check-in counter and I rolled the third one myself. after being handed my boarding passes, I walked with Pat to the security checkpoint before turning around awkwardly.

“I guess this is it,” I remarked sadly.

“For now,” Pat corrected me. “You’ll be back. Plus I happened to check our calendar and we play the Penguins in a couple months. So I’ll see you.” I wasn’t sure whether he was talking to me or to himself, but as I listened to him, tears pooled in my eyes and I sniffled.

“Pat you’ve been a great friend. And roommate,” I added with a smile, my hand on his shoulder.

“Jazz, you’re one of the most amazing women I know. I know things didn’t work out with Tazer and I can see how much it’s hurting both of you,” he patted my arm when he mentioned Jon’s name.

‘It hurts,” I admitted.

“And if I didn’t know how much you two were in love, I would have seduced you immediately after you two broke up,” he teased me, pulling me in for a warm hug.

I laughed, tears streaming out of my eyes.

“Oh Pat. I love you a lot,” I whispered. “Be good, okay? And take care of him please.”

Patrick looked me deep into my eyes. “Take care of yourself. Find some new friends in Pittsburgh and make them watch out for you. It won’t be hard. You’re amazing.”

I kissed his cheek softly before moving to pull away and join the security line. People were staring at us now. I couldn’t tell whether it was because they recognized Pat or because I was crying pretty hard now. Pat’s arms wrapped around my waist and he pecked my lips gently.

“Kiss for good luck,” he whispered before letting me go.

I rolled my eyes and slapped arm. “See you soon, you idiot.”
~
Pittsburgh was smoggy. And industrial-looking, which made sense. It was steel city, after all. There was a representative from my company waiting for me as I lugged all three of my suitcases onto a trolley and brought them out into the arrivals lobby.

“I’m Ms. Patil,” I informed the portly man with the printed sign who was waiting for me.

“Great! I’m Ray.” he grinned. “Come with me; I’ll take the trolley.”

I followed him wordlessly through a maze of cars and doors and bags until we reached the sleep black Mercedes and I got into the backseat, feeling like a popstar.

“So are you looking forward to the big city?” Ray asked conversationally as we pulled out of the airport.

I cleared my throat. “Well I’m from Chicago, so I’m used to the city.”

“Oh that’s nice!” Ray smiled. “Well, welcome to Pittsburgh.”

I glanced outside as we crossed one of the many bridges that I knew Pittsburgh had. I almost smiled. It was a new place. A scary, unfamiliar one, but a good place.

My new apartment was gorgeous, in a trendy, rather upscale neighborhood, and I thanked Ray once he helped get my bags inside. I tried to give him a tip, but he rebuffed me, offering me one last smile before leaving.

It was noon. I left my bags where they were and went exploring around my place. It was gorgeous, with a large open concept living space.The furniture was all dark wood and warm, classic colors and shapes. The television was massive, way more than I would need, except maybe for hockey games.

The kitchen was well-supplied with pots and pans and utensils, and a peek into my fridge told me that it too was stocked with the basics. Just as I was heading into the master bedroom, my cell rang.

“Hello?” I said confidently.

“Ms. Patil! This is Jack Cavill calling,” the voice was unfamiliar, but the name wasn’t. He was my new boss.

“Mr. Cavill! I was just going to call you,” I explained calmly.

“Call me Jack. I hope the trip was okay? And the apartment, Ms. Patil?” his voice was commanding yet soothing at once.

“Flight was fine; and I was going to call you to thank your company for this amazing space. I love it. And please, if I call you Jack you should call me Jazz,” I replied charmingly.

He laughed. “I’m glad everything’s working out, Jazz. We’ll see you in the office tomorrow morning?”

“Of course; I can’t wait to get to work,” I remarked honestly.

“Well get settled in. Welcome to Pittsburgh!”

I wished people would stop saying that. It was giving me anxiety, and it kept reminding me that I was in a new, unfamiliar place. We hung up and I spent the day watching television and getting to know my new, shiny kitchen and making some soup for myself.
~

The next day was strange. I woke up in a strange bed in a strange apartment and I had to blink several times in order to remember where I was. Plus, Pittsburgh was an hour ahead of Chicago and I lost an hour of sleep.

I dragged myself out of bed, however, and put on my favourite, most professional outfit. It was a grey pencil skirt and a deep purple blouse, paired with my white blazer. My hair was twisted into a neat bun and my heels were appropriately high. My make-up was minimal, and my coat was dark and I huddled in my unfamiliar car.

Work was close; thankfully, I didn’t have to take any freeways. The car came equipped with GPS too, so the commute was relatively stress free. I yawned several times, wishing I knew where to get good coffee. This was a morning that could definitely use a dash of caffeine.

The office was a basic one; large glass windows and very tall. I parked the car, took a few deep breaths, and walked through the front doors. I had to take an elevator to the tenth floor, and I soon as I got off the elevator, I knew I was in the right place. It was almost identical to the offices in Chicago. Rows of cubicles were at my immediate glance, but I could see the larger offices behind them. I stood rather nervously, unsure of where I should go.

A man sitting behind the desk closest to me seemed to notice that I was completely and utterly lost.

“Can I help you find something?” he asked helpfully.

I nodded gratefully, walking over to him. “I’m Jazz Patil; I’m looking for Jack Cavill’s office,” I explained.

The man smiled. “Great! I’m Andy, the secretary for these offices. Jack’s office is just down the hall to your left. His name’s on the door so you can’t miss it.”

I thanked him and walked confidently past many cubicles and a few whispers in order to reach Jack’s office. I knocked twice confidently, trying to stop my palms from sweating. Just as he yelled that it was open, I wiped my hands nervously on my skirt and pushed the door open.

“Morning Mr. Cavill,” I greeted as I walked in.

He was sitting at his desk, staring rather intently at some papers. There were square frames balanced on his long nose, and his salt and pepper hair was thinning on the top of his head, but he looked sturdy and extremely authoritative.

“I’ve told you, call me Jack,” he reminded me, tearing his eyes from his papers and offering me a grin. “How are you, Jazz?”

“Excellent,” I lied. “The office looks great.”

“You should have seen it a few months ago,” Jack laughed. “It was a right mess. So let me explain how things are going to work. I know you’re used to having a large office to yourself, but I prefer a collaborative spirit here, so I’ve got two others with you; I hope collaboration is something you thrive on.”

I nodded. “Of course. It’s a fantastic way to get a job done.”

“Well that’s the thing. The project encompasses all three of you, but you’re each doing separate parts. The general task is an exposition on Pittsburgh sports. I’ve divided up the three sports between you. Jazz, you’ll have the Penguins since you’ve come so highly recommended from the Blackhawks,” Jack elaborated.

I choked on my own spit. “Have I? Who exactly recommended me?” I asked suspiciously.

“Coach Q himself,” Jack looked impressed. “And so did the president of the entire company. Seems you made quite the impression on him during some ad launch party?”

I blushed, thinking of that night. That party seemed like ages ago. I remembered Jon escorting me because Viktor was unwell. I was extremely confused for most of that night.

“Yes, that was the launch party for the anti-bullying campaign I ran with a selection of NHL teams,” I recalled.

“Yes; that was the campaign that really sealed the deal for you here. Anyway, let’s go meet your fellow collaborators,” Jack suggested, standing up and striding out of his office.

I hastily gathered my things and followed him out to the hall and into the large cubicle area. There was a large table set up with two men already sitting there, clacking away on their respective laptops. They both stopped and looked up once they heard us approaching.

“Jazz, this is Dave Wallace and Alex Wong. Dave, Alex, this is Jazz; she’s the one I told you about. She’s working on the Penguins sector,” Jack introduced me.

“Hey,” Dave nodded politely. He was short and stocky, with light brown hair and a small beer belly. He wore thin spectacles and had an impressive beard. He was probably a full decade older than me.

“Hello!” Alex grinned. He was tall and wiry, and had a Pittsburgh steeler t-shirt on. He had short hair, and his smile seemed genuine.

“Well I’ll let you three get acquainted. I’ll be in my office,” Jack left shortly.

Shyly, I placed my bag onto the table and sat down.

“I’m loving the diverse table we’ve got going here,” I joked. “Very nice.”

“We’re all about the diversity in steel city,” Alex bantered. “So you’re from Chicago, right? What’s it like?”

I shrugged. “The same as every other big city, I suppose. Better sports though,” I teased.

Dave gave me a crooked smile. “So will you miss the windy city?”

“I’m sure I will. But I’m here now,” I replied. “So you’re covering the Pirates?”

Dave nodded. “I’m the baseball expert, and Alex loves football and hockey, but he’s obsessed with football, so he bagged the Steelers. Plus he’s a Harvard graduate so that gave him an edge in the job department.”

I looked to Alex for confirmation and he waved his hand nonchalantly.

“Harvard Shmarvard. We’re all educated,” he shrugged modestly. “So are you excited about a new city?”

“I am!” I exclaimed. “But I have a very important question to ask: where does a girl find a good cup of coffee around here? I’m dying.”

Both of them laughed and rattled off a few names for me to commit to memory, and I smiled genuinely for the first time in days. This was indeed a fresh start.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I took this story and basically uprooted it and sent it in a completely different direction in exactly two chapters; not exactly subtle writing, but I was feeling flat and needed to shake things up to get inspired to write this.

So hello Pittsburgh...which means Penguins! This could be interesting. But don't worry, Chicago isn't gone forever!

let me know what you guys think!