Status: WE WERE ON A BREAK

Perfect Symmetry

Silenced By the Night

The room was nicer than I was expecting. Nice, clean carpets, leather sofas, vending machines, and a large door with a huge Blackhawks logo on it, which I assumed is where the players would come out of from the locker room. I bit my lip in anticipation as someone checked our passes and we were waved inside.

It was a room of strangers – some were kids, some were parents, and some were wives and girlfriends. I fidgeted and Hailey pinched me.

“Calm down,” she whispered firmly.

I couldn’t help it. I was shaking nervously. What is wrong with me? Hailey and I sat down on one of the couches and minded our own business. Nobody really looked twice at us. The thought that maybe it was because lots of different girls down here crossed my mind, but I shook that idea out of my head since it really wasn’t any of my business.

When the doors did finally open, my heart jumped out of my body, I swear. I recognized some of the players that emerged first: There was Patrick Sharp, who walked over to his blonde, beautiful wife and adorable child. Next was Duncan Keith, who walked over to a girl and put his arm around her before walking out. Loads of more players that I couldn’t distinguish without their jerseys emerged before Brent Seabrook came out and caught Hailey’s eye.

I heard her breath hitch and she muttered, “Shit, Jazz. I’ve been wrapped up in your personal life so much I’ve forgotten about mine.”

I squeezed her hand comfortingly. “I got your back, Hails. Don’t worry.”

“I wasn’t anticipating this to-” Hailey didn’t finish because by this time, Seabrook was standing right in front of us.

We both stood up quickly, but he was still considerably taller than both of us.

“You’re Jazz, right?” he offered me a small smile.

I nodded. “Yes, I don’t think we’ve met.”

“I’m Brent. It’s nice to meet you,” he gave me a quick handshake, all the while sneaking glances of Hailey.

“Nice to meet you, too,” I replied with a smile.

“Jazz, Kaner wanted me to tell you that you can just go ahead into the locker room,” Brent told me.

I gave him a suspicious look, and he chuckled. “I promise they’re all decent in there.”

“Okay. But if I see anything I don’t want to see, I will find you and I will punch you,” I warned.

He held his hands up in self-defense. “Deal.”

I started to walk away, and Hailey started to follow, but Brent put a hand on her shoulder to stop her. “Hailey, can I talk to you for a second?”

She looked at me worriedly, but I just shrugged. “Talk to him,” I mouthed.

I turned around and gave them some privacy. I hurried over to the door that led to the locker room and pulled it gently. I tried not to hyperventilate as I walked inside to the Blackhawk’s locker room. I immediately saw Patrick, who was already half-dressed, so I walked over.

“Hey Jazz! You came!” Pat gave me a warm hug.

I grinned. “Of course I came! You all played really well.”

“Thanks, did you see my goal?” he asked earnestly.

I feigned ignorance. “Oh, did you score? I think I missed that.”

Patrick flicked my cheek in response. “Ouch! You bully!” I rubbed my cheek tenderly.

He ignored me. “Did you bring a friend, like I said to?”

I rolled my eyes. “I brought my friend Hailey, but she’s outside having a discussion with Brent Seabrook.”

“Sounds serious,” Patrick remarked.

I shrugged. “We’ll see.”

The noise of someone coming in from the showers alerted me and I turned around, only to be faced with a shirtless Jonathan Toews, with only a pair of boxers on. I gulped nervously.

He looked up and saw me, and a look of shock broke through his features.

“Jazz? I didn’t even know you were at the game,” Jon walked to his locker and grabbed some clothes to put on quickly.

“Really? I would have thought Patrick would have told you,” I shot Pat a poisonous look.

“No, he didn’t,” Jon looked at Pat accusingly too.

Patrick put his arms up in surrender. “Whoops.”

“I thought it was a good game,” I said to Jon with a smile.

He nodded. “We needed the win.”

“We always need the win,” Patrick rolled his eyes.

I laughed, but Jon didn’t.

“Who’s on your jersey,” Jon asked instead.

I spun around so he could see. “No one,” I replied, “I didn’t bother with a name when I bought this.”
“You didn’t bother?” Patrick said in disbelief.

I shrugged. “It was back in college, okay? I didn’t have piles of money to spend on a jersey.”

Patrick shook his head in dismay, but Jon smiled.

“Well, we’ll have to fix that,” he stated before pulling on a t-shirt. “Come on, let’s get out of here. I could use some food, are you hungry?”

I wasn’t hungry at all thanks to that hotdog and popcorn during the game, but I nodded and said I was. Jon grabbed his bag and then turned to Patrick. “You coming, Kaner?”

Pat looked at me and grinned. “Normally I would let you take the girl out to eat, but I’m starved and my fridge at home is empty.”

“So you’re coming?” I clarified.

“Hell yes I’m coming!” Patrick swung his bag over one shoulder and threw his other arm over my shoulder. “Let’s go!”

We passed Hailey and Brent, still in the lounge, talking softly.

“Hailey, we’re going out for some food, do you want to join us?” I called out, still trapped under Pat’s arm.

She shot a thankful smile at me. “I think I have to bail. Can I have the keys to the car?”

I looked at the boys questioningly.

“One of us will drive her home,” Jon reassured her quickly.

Hailey thanked him and I tossed her the keys to my Honda Civic.

“I’ll see you later, okay?” I locked eyes with her and she nodded. “Call me if you need me.”

“I will, Jazz. See you,” she smiled lightly.

As we walked away, Patrick whispered in my ear, “Lover’s spat.”

I shoved his chest. “They are not! Hailey has a boyfriend.”

“For how long?” Pat pressed.

“Not too long,” I admitted.

“She’s hot! And she obviously likes him. You do the math,” Patrick finally released my shoulder and I stumbled dramatically.

“Jesus, Pat, is your arm made of fucking iron?” I rubbed my shoulders.

“Aw you sure know how to seduce a man, Jazz. Let me give you a hug,” Patrick advanced on me with outstretched arms.

I hurried to stand next to Jon instead, grabbing onto his arm. Fuck, his arms were huge. My hands barely fit around his biceps. They were solid muscle too. Jon looked down at me and I saw red dust his cheeks as he kept walking, laughing at Pat’s antics.

“Jazz, you can ride with me,” Jon’s dark eyes pierced my brain and I felt myself nodding gormlessly.

Patrick shouted something rude, but I couldn’t hear him very well because of the roaring in my ears. I was looking straight ahead, but I could feel Jon’s gaze on my face and I was burning up. I’m a chicken at heart, so I let my hands slide from Jon’s arm and I wrapped them around my middle instead, trying to keep myself warm in the cold Chicago air.

I recognized his car as soon as I saw it, and jogged toward it.

“Oh my god, it’s freezing,” I shivered, pulling at the door as soon as Jon unlocked it.

I heard him open the trunk and throw his hockey stuff in, and then he sat down on the driver’s side. As he started the engine, his phone beeped, and he glanced at the screen.

“Kaner’s not coming. He met some girls on the way to his car and he’s going out with them,” Jon read from his phone.

I chortled. “Typical.”

Jon looked up at me, and my heart stopped. “Looks like it’s just you and me.”

I blushed again. “Looks like. Got anywhere in mind?”

“I really want a burger. Let’s just go to a diner or something,” Jon suggested as he backed out of his parking space.

“Fine with me,” I yawned slightly, flipping on the radio.

The first channel was playing Call Me Maybe and I groaned and skipped forward.

“You don’t like that song?” Jon looked amused.

“I don’t think anyone really likes it. It’s like that crazy uncle who comes to Christmas dinner, you smile and act like you like it when you know it’s just nuts,” I explained with a passion.

Jonathan laughed whole-heartedly. “I like that.”

The next station was playing some old ABBA song, and I skipped through that too. I could feel Jon looking at me for an explanation, so I felt obligated to speak up.

“I have to be in the mood for ABBA,” I tried to explain, but Jon didn’t look satisfied. “Don’t get me wrong, I love ABBA.”

“You have a funny way of showing your love,” Jonathan teased.

The next station was playing The Script’s “Breakeven” and I did not hesitate in joining in. I’ve always adored singing; it’s a great way for me to relax. I totally forgot Jon was even in the car until the song was over and he was staring at me again.

“Eyes on the road, you!” I snapped my fingers and pointed at the windshield.

He obeyed me, but he still looked surprised. “Wow, you can sing!”

“Ha! Not very well, but I like to,” I replied modestly.

“You’re better than most people I’ve met,” Jonathan insisted.

I chuckled. “Well then do me a favor and don’t ever meet Beyonce or Adele, okay?”

Jon grinned. “You got it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The actual dinner will be in the next chapter.
The Blackhawks won today, 1-0 against the Columbus Blue Jackets. I wrote most of this during the commercial breaks and intermission.

Leave me a comment if you liked it (or even if you don't like it) I love feedback!
Thanks for reading, guys.
Love you! :)